New to the Forums? Need Help? All Information Here.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

F.A.Q. by magicgoo

Hi, n00bies! Sometimes it's hard to find stuff on a site you've just signed up at. I'm sure you'll all get used to it quickly. But, in the mean time, please take a moment to review this thread. Have fun!

DOES THIS SITE HAVE AN FAQ SECTION?

YES. It can be found here http://conceptart.org/forums/faq.php with exactly the same info as below. Look at the horizontal text menu bar above for the FAQ other useful links!

HOW DO I UPLOAD A PICTURE TO THESE FORUMS?

As of August 2006, please use the conceptart.org attachment manager to post your artwork. This ensures that your art will always be hosted by the conceptart.org servers. Unlike using Photobucket or Imageshack, your artwork will A) Show up as a thumbnail, and B) Never disappear from your thread. (If you want to update or change your art eventually, you may edit your actual post at any time to do so.)

To post your art:

1. Click "Post New Thread."
    2. Click the small Paperclip icon that appears in the New Thread editing window. It should be near the top center of your editing box. Or, scroll down until you see a button, "Manage Attachments."
    3. This button (or the Paperclip button) will open a pop-up window where you may then use the Browse funtion to find your art on your own computer.
    4. Once you have filled in the field that points to your art, click Upload. (Follow the Artwork Manager's chart recommendations for acceptable artwork sizes and acceptable file types.)
    5. Once your art is uploaded, click "Close" to close the Attachment Manager.
    6. You may now click "Submit New Thread," if you are ready, and your New Post will show your attached artwork.

To remotely host a photo of yourself or other non-artwork related item, or to link to a picture that you don't need to archive here, you can use the image tags found in the New Thread editor. Click the button that looks like a mountain with a yellow sky and little sun to link to an image. Or, if you're a more advanced forum user, wrap image tags around the link to the artwork manually by using brackets.

HOW DO I GET ONE OF THOSE THUMBNAILS TO SHOW UP NEXT TO MY THREAD?

The thumbnail will automatically be generated from the FIRST image attached to the FIRST post in your thread. Use the attachment manager as described above. If you want to change the thumbnail, you must remove ALL attachments from the post and reupload the images in a different order, with the first image being the one you want as the new thumbnail.

HOW DO I CHANGE MY SIGNATURE?

Make note of the 2 links that these yellow arrows are pointing to:
    Near the top of your browser, you will see the ConceptArt.org horizontal menu bar. User CP will take you an entire menu of User Options. Here you will find all links on the left to manage your signature, avatar, user title, user profile, etc. Clicking QuickLinks will do the same, only a little quicker.

HOW DO I CHANGE MY AVATAR?

Click UserCP or QuickLinks found in the top menu bar.

HOW DO I CHANGE MY TITLE?

Click UserCP or QuickLinks found in the top menu bar.

HOW DO I CHANGE MY LEVEL/RANK? WHAT'S THIS MEAN?

When you see "Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian" by your avatar and user name, don't fret! These are just fun ranks based on your post count. You can't change them yourselves; they update automatically.

HOW DO I CHANGE MY USER NAME?

YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR USER NAME unless you beg a site adminastrator to do so. A list of people in charge can be found here: http://conceptart.org/forums/faq.php...q_new_faq_item Note: Despite the fact that I've written this Lounge version of the FAQ does not make me a person in charge, thus I cannot change your user name.

WHAT'S A SKETCHBOOK?
    • CAN ANYBODY MAKE ONE?
    • HOW DO I MAKE ONE AND WHAT DO I PUT IN IT?

A sketchbook, or SB as many users here refer to it, is exactly what it sounds like: A collection of your sketches. Yes, ANYBODY can start a sketchbook. How? You go to the Sketchbooks section and press Post New Thread. Give it a spiffy title and post your art. You will receive comments on how to approve from anyone who wants to help you out. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKETCHBOOK INFO THREAD BEFORE CREATING ONE.

CAN I USE ANYBODY'S ARTWORK HERE?

Click and READ this for that information: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31861

I NEED AN ARTIST FOR A PROJECT. CAN ONE OF YOU HELP ME?

You will need to post in the Jobs section found here http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12 . If you can't afford to pay an artist for their work, you will need to post in the NON-PAYING Jobs section found here http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44 . Please read the STICKIES in each section before posting your project.

SEARCHING FOR THREADS / TOPICS / USERS' POSTS:

Conceptart.org has a great search engine! There are many topics here that have been thoroughly discussed. Before making a new post on a common topic, please click the search button on the top navigation bar. You can do an advanced search to search threads begun by certain users, thread titles only, topics begun in certain time frames, etc. Please take advantage of the Search function.

General Information on Digital Art Tablets - by Interceptor
    For all the new artists coming to the website ...

Also referred to as a digitizing tablet, graphics pad, or drawing tablet, a tablet is an alternate type of input device that can be used in place of, or in conjunction with, a mouse, trackball, or other pointing device. The tablet consists of two parts, a flat surface for drawing, and a pen, stylus, or puck that is programmed to work with the tablet. Usually, you also get a pen holder, and some tablets even come with a cordless mouse that works on the tablet surface.

The most popular brand of tablet, for any use is a wacom brand tablet. They come in 3 different classes of tablet, with various sizes...

The cheapest model, best for those who are looking to experiment with digital art, but don't want to drop alot of cash on an expensive tablet incase it's not thier cup of tea...

Not so much for digital art, but for business pruposes. East changes to spreadsheet documents and the like.

A very basic, small and crude, but ok tablet for beginners, and have a very nice price tag...

The most commonly used model by artists, both professional for serious art students. Very good control and nive sizes available. They even have a new tablet made for widescreen monitors. Moderately priced.

The amazing Cintiq. An incredible machine that allows you to draw right into a screen built into the tablet. Very expensive. When used by a professional, it can be used to make incredible peices of work. Overkill for new artists, or those not too experienced with digital art. To my knowledge, seeing a Cintiq is not a common thing,

Some very popular software, which is pretty much the standard to use with a tablet are Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter, and growing in popularity, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro.

Here are some threads that may help you start out when you purchase a new tablet.

bumskee's excellent Digital Painting in Photoshop thread.

An older thread with forum users discussing different types of tablets.

And check out Android's (Andrew Jones) personal website. To see some of the advantages thatdigital art has. www.androidjones.com

UPDATE: Customizing Express Key Functions.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...698#post973698

Feel free to add anything, y'all.

Oh... and keep clear of lensflares

Questions about Art theft - by form
    Of late there have been several instances of artists here at conceptart posting artwork that is very similar in both application and SUBJECT to another artists' (typically a professionals work).

It is essential that we clarify the proper conduct relating to this:

FIRSTLY
    - Conceptart does not condone (for obvious reasons) the direct theft of another artists work. That means claiming their work as yours by posting or displaying it with the intent for others to believe it is YOUR work.

IN REGARDS TO 'INSPIRATION' PIECES AND STUDIES
    - Copying the idea or work method of another artist is not frowned upon at conceptart as long as credit is given to the original artist. Studyng the works of professionals and accomplished painters is a great learning tool but it is essential that you are clear about exactly where yur ideas came from.

For those who are not clear about this, an example:

"Heres my latest work - its gouache and pencil....done in about 2hrs.... used an el coro piece for reference on the head and also his technique."

Very simple

A FINAL NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS
    In these recent episodes there has also been a case of many members flaming/abusing the members in question. Please be aware that many members simply are not aware of the protocol for posting this type of artwork and may be completely not at fault.... do not take over or spam their thread - the moderators are there to make sure things like that are sorted out. They have the right to post what they wish just as the mods have the right to 'moderate' it if it is deemed inappropriate.

If in doubt point the artist to this thread.

Misc Threads of Interest:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9788 - Workspace pictures thread

Last edited by emily g; April 12th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to davi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately a bug causes inline attachments to appear as thumbnails however there is a work-around.
    Having an inline attachment in the first post of a thread will trigger it, as long as you don't, the rest of the thread will work perfectly.

So for now the accepted solution is to use the first post to put a message and the thumbnail for the thread, then add the art in a second post.

Just to clarify, by default attachments appear after the post, inline is when you use the paperclip icon to place it inside the post itself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much. this has helped me alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, I am new here and do not really know how all works.
    I added two pictures for the gallery on "my site" but all I see there is just the text "VIEWING 1 - 2 OUT OF 2 TOTAL" but don´t see any thumbs or images.
    In "my items" I see the two pictures listed but again just as text with [delete] and [update] and stuff but again no images.
    what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this may be a really stupid question, but is this place only for digital art? or is traditional ok too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonmints
    this may be a really stupid question, but is this place only for digital art? or is traditional ok too?
    Both. It's your choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good thread thanks its helped a great deal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face thanks for the repost I needed to read that again

one thing I did wrong when I got here was post my sketches on someone else's thread I believe this is a no no ? right? I don't do it anymore but my third or fifth post was on someone else's SB thread...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't sure where to ask this (if I'm in the wrong, you know, redirect me), but on the profile page when I first made my account (relatively new here, haven't posted anything yet) I was playing with the page customizer. In the end I was fine with the default layout, but when I restore the default layout, all the colors revert to 'transparent.' The background and boxes are fine, but the text is all a very light gray and thus is unreadable.

I thought "oh well, easy enough" then went back in to the custom settings and changed the text colors, but now when the site 'refreshes' (I assume it does this every fifteen minutes or half hour or something), it will revert back to the default settings. Any customizing work I've done, or at the very least my attempts to make the font readable again, are wiped away.

Am I missing something to actually fix this problem? Is there a way it can be fixed? Who do I have to ask? Yadda yadda.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Me Too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascallo
    I added two pictures for the gallery on "my site" but all I see there is just the text "VIEWING 1 - 2 OUT OF 2 TOTAL" but don´t see any thumbs or images.
    In "my items" I see the two pictures listed but again just as text with [delete] and [update] and stuff but again no images.
    what am I doing wrong?

This problem needs to be answered if there is going to be any new members who are going to put up artwork! I am having the same problem as listed above and my Avatar/Thumbnail isn't showing up on my posts in the form either!

Please Help!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascallo
    what am I doing wrong?

RE, I call apon the great gods of this site tobless us, yes . . ., bless us with the information we so humbly ask of u. aaaaa I meen I'm having the same problem. I think the only way is to start a sketchbook, right? PLS REPLY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascallo
    what am I doing wrong?

not only that, but i can't browse a gallery either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To all: You can see lots of threads in this section asking about the gallery part of the website.
    If you read those threads, you will learn the answer--the gallery section of the site does not work right now.
    Feel free to post your work elsewhere on the site, start up a sketchbook, etc.

grim-gravy: the profile page customizing stuff doesn't work.
    oogiboogi: You have to go into UserCP-->Edit Avatar. Make sure you didn't go to UserCP-->Edit Profile Picture. That is not the same thing.

Thanks

Last edited by emily g; February 7th, 2007 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you know what... i'm gonna stick to reading threads.
    Turns out its all there, i was just to lazy to look for it.
    And now i think i'll go find out how to start a sketch book...

Last edited by localgod56; March 9th, 2007 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question nOObi

Hi all. i'm new to this forum scenario and would like some advice on how to make use of the forums so as to make them as beneficial as possible.
    I've been drawing/ sketching for a while but this is only on paper, nothing digital as of late but i have a basic knowledge of photoshop and was introduced to the drawing tablet not too long ago by a close friend and attempted 1 or 2 sketches.
    i find that my brain is drained coz of work and all so i try improving what i've been given by replicating the work of my friend, great artists and photographs/ pics that i find intriguing. Sometimes i do my thing...but i sway towards dislike regarding my own work (always room for improvement)...
    Any advice...???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey i was wondering how to change the little header right below Our names in the threads. The place where it says registered user. I want to change it so that i can be cool like all the cool kids. I've looked a number of times, not wanting to ask if i could find it in a thread but i've had no luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to User CP (listed at the top of the forums). From the list on the left of the page, choose "Edit Profile" (not "My Profile"). There will be a place to add a custom user title.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh, so!

"Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do I post a new thread?

I cringe asking this because its probably blatantly obvious to most , but how do i post a new thread? I have been surfing around the site for hours and just cant find a menu that will do this. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL View Post
    I cringe asking this because its probably blatantly obvious to most , but how do i post a new thread? I have been surfing around the site for hours and just cant find a menu that will do this. Thanks.

Name:  nt.jpg
Views: 6124
Size:  71.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou Sgt Dirtbag Sir!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photobucket.com

Not sure if I have a rootkit or something, but I can't seem to view photobucket.com. I can't view images posted in forums from that site, I can't google the darn site, heck, I can't even ping the freakin thing. Any clues as to why photobucket has shunned me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still confused- Can't see a paperclip when writing posts..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you hit "Go Advanced" when you write a new post. The paperclip is next to the smiley face, which is next to the letter A. It's on the top row.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. I couldnt find this anywhere on the site.... how do I get a thumbnail view of the picture inside the thread to appear next to the thread link?

thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use the attachment feature. The first picture you attach in the opening post of your thread will become the thumbnail. It's the paperclip button.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Um, same question as Doctor Robotnik, but I've tried using the attachment/paperclip button and no little thumbnail appears next to the thread link. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you give me an example of a thread where you've tried it and it isn't working?
    Are you attaching the image to the first post of the thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh.....that was my problem, had to be in the first post- I've got it working now! Thanks much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, I got a problem and I couldn't find a solution at first glance. Somehow I changed the 'quick reply to this message'-button into a drawing of mine. It only appears in firefox, does anyone know how to make the whole forum-design back to normal? If not I'll just reinstall firefox..

Thanks in advance guys

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook