DSG 1137: Alien: VAGUELY CRAB-LIKE, IT FLOATS THROUGH AIR W/ INFLATING HEAD-BLADDER

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

DSG 1137: Alien: VAGUELY CRAB-LIKE, IT FLOATS THROUGH AIR W/ INFLATING HEAD-BLADDER

[ You might try showing it in both the deflated ground-walking mode, as well as the inflated air-ballooning mode. ]

[ I expect great things from you. ]

Alien: VAGUELY CRAB-LIKE, IT FLOATS THROUGH AIR W/ INFLATING HEAD-BLADDER

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Juummm....another Crab-like alien??Not my best subject,so I think I´m gonna take holidays!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm......... I am going to do a non-stop on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, shoot... I thought conceptart is hosting images now. Guess not.

PhoenixFeather and I are doing 1 hour sketch sessions now and made today's DSG the subject. This was inspired by a scientific vechicle called the Crab that surveys the near shore seabed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Came out looking like some kind of alien flea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfah, a rather specific one again, I like the vague and short topiced ones more. I'll do just a simple pencil sketch then, ignoring a few parts of the topic.

Phoenix Feather-That's because you gave it 6 legs, fur, no pincers, pointy mandibles. That's indeed closer to a flea then to a crab. Love the gas bladders though.

CENOBITE-Looks menacing, nice smooth and kind of transparent surface on the bladder., love the touch of the little eyes, but what's that big black dot? Some sort of massive nuclei?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice so far! I can't wait to give this a try!

-Andrew

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bubble Crab

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the aer aequoreus pinophylax is of the decapod crustaceans group that started to their own branch 60 thousand years ago, and is commonly called the Tukan Air Crab; like all Air Crabs it has tree very expandable organs hidden under the shell that it can blow up with very hot air and thus lift like balloons into the sky. What sets apart the Tukan Air Crab from their other flying cousins is their evolved legs. Their flat very agile legs work like fins and besides being excellent swimmers they use them to paddle in the air, and control their air dives. Where their cousins and ancestors flew to travel and spread their eggs through the air, the Tukan Air Crab can also use their legs to dive for food, mostly fish and sea birds, but the rare rabbit & rat have been found during autopsy; but also for their mating ritual, where the males will do advanced air acrobatics to win his spouse.
    PS CS2
    I'll post my comments later.

Last edited by dan liimatta; October 16th, 2006 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Giraffe
    CENOBITE-Looks menacing, nice smooth and kind of transparent surface on the bladder., love the touch of the little eyes, but what's that big black dot? Some sort of massive nuclei?
    Thanks, yah... the darker spot is more of a thick part of the gas bladder that isn't flexible like the rest. I guess it also reminded me of a nuclei so I left it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

The rocks look shite oh well. Very nice atmospheric pic CENOBITE. dan liimatta and goran great pics as well.

Looking at my pic now just as i uploaded it i think some distant rocks in the background would look nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CENOBITE: Love the pastel colours and the spindly legs skimming the water.

Phoenix Feather: Nice to see you illustrating both stages. The hairy legs look cool.

burrito: Nice design - particularly the head and trunk thing extending donw and under.

dan liimatta: Very nice. The swarms in the distance is a cool idea and the clouds look great.

goran: Lovin' thins. Great design and detail. The purple underbelly lighting works great with the green.

Mitze: Love the membrain look and the sea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First attempt at a dsg, was shooting for crab-like alien but I think I landed closer to "floaty testicle of doom"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First post ever on CA, feel free to critique! Wish I coulda spent more time on it and added color....anyways, wierd crab-like creature rolls onto it's back and blows a bubble using its own little balloon-thing that's attatched to it's face...something like that lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsefly

Phoenix Feather: Nice to see you illustrating both stages. The hairy legs look cool.

THanks Horsefly. I really love the colors and texture of yours. Excellent!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A resident of the fourth planet in the M-112j system, this creature is one of the more advanced creatures on this planet, thought to have began life only several millenia ago.
    painter, 30?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And so I spent more time on it than I had planned, what was supposed to be a sketch turned out to be a coloured concept drawing, which then resulted in a composition of the creature with his habitat surroundings....

A snurflog (nice name huh?) gently drifting trough the asteroids that float around in the low gravity and expanded atmosphere that exists in the white hole dimension behind the black holes we know.

And the sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good evening, rather fast this time, sketching and PS took all in all 1 hour maybe:

Cenobite - Well done. The clouds are too vague but that's my only crit, the rest is pretty good. Also like the moment you chose, how it arises from the sea, truly horrifying.
    Phoenix Feather - Good work and nice effort showing both states. Only thing that bothers me is that it looks like you reused the body, it's surely tempting but it should look different in the deflated state, feet touching the ground and such. Nice impression of fur
    burrito - Nice work. Maybe lacks some texture in my eyes, could be also a matter of taste. Especially like the trunk.
    dan liimatta - The creature's design is very good and I like it's face. Otherwise, hm...in my eyes, this one is missing a few things. Some air in the bladder for example, it looks like only halfway inflated. The swarm in the back looks odd, maybe because they are too equal in size. The clouds are a bit blurry (I assume it's not depth of field since the horizon is sharp).
    goran - Eeew! Nastiest in this round, great job. not sure if it could fly with such small bladders, but it looks so extraterrestial, it could also float in space.
    Mitze - Like the transparency on the bladder, nice colors also. If the bladder's transparent it should become more opaque to the edge, otherwise it will look flat. Not sure about the paintover (isn't it?) of the sea, maybe a matter of taste but I usually shy back from such mixtures.
    Horsefly - For creaturedesign my fav this round. Very crab-like but also alienating. Very nice texturing and very pleasing, laid-back coloring.
    Flake - Welcome aboard! Good Start and I like the way you did the transparency. Sky looks good also, only the crab looks a bit simplified. Nevermind, keep going!
    realitycheck - welcome aboard too! Very good sketching/technique, but the creature is a bit hard to read, I'm even confused which side is up or down.
    Hamsta - Good thinking, not the most common bladdertype. I'd love to find a second color in this one, not sure if monochrome serves you well.
    Crustacean - Good work. Your technique, reminding me of glass-splinters layered atop of each other is very obvious in this one, not sure if it works on the bladder as good as on the rest of the body.
    stinger hh - You get the Wacko-prize, this one's highly distracting and creeped me out quite a bit. I'd love to see some more detail, otherwise not bad.
    Mad Giraffe - Good work, also very nice coloring. Like that you put it in an environment.

this space - for rent

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well dang. i was pretty proud of mine till i saw all the competition. there are some great comps in this thread. dan li beat me to the mating ritual idea so i dont even have a blurb for this one... but i do think im getting a bit better at digital color. did this one in prolly 1-1.5hr with mouse-painting. i desperately need a wacom XD.

they latch onto each other and fly in massive bubble-groups. the bladder extends from under the carapace and is completely hidden when not expanded. the long tail-fin also extends with the bladder and rotates like cellular cilia to give the bubble crabs a weak form of propulsion in the air.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alias Sketchbook / PS, like 15 mins

guess i half assed that compared to others . . . ah well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

With this topic for some reason Cthulu came to my head first and foremost, so I tried to run with it yet still make it unique enough to not be seen as 'Cthulu.'

Most of my submissions, I'm sure, will come in pencil or ink form. My digital painting skills, especially when it comes to speed, are not up to snuff. I'm working on it though. Unfortunately pencils always seem to lose something in the scanner. The contrast isn't there and I can't get anything that looks decent out of the b/c controls in photoshop. /endrant

Oh well. Enjoy anyway.

Isaac.

I used to have the whole world in my hands. But now I don't because my mom told me I'd go blind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K.I. if the b/c stuff doesnt work too well in PS, you might try going back in with dodge and burn to touch up the image and make certain details pop. i like your design tho, especially the face (scary)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    KI, there might be something up with your scanner settings and you can also try the levels controls in PS if you want to fiddle more with the contrast. (what is it you're after anyway, fuller range of tones? darks to near black etc?)

Pretty nice drawing btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sarillion: Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out next time.

For Everyone: C&C to come soon.

I used to have the whole world in my hands. But now I don't because my mom told me I'd go blind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by king.isaac
    The contrast isn't there and I can't get anything that looks decent out of the b/c controls in photoshop. /endrant
    Two methods.

1-Duplicate layer and make top layer a 50% opacity multiply layer.

2-(personal fav, tiny bit less easy and quick)Image>Adjustments>Levels
    And then by holding alt(shows the levels you're in while dragging), drag the outside sliders(not the middle one), towards the middle until you see the areas that contain to what you should think should be the darkest/lightest areas.
    The left one does the dark values, and the right one the light ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flake: The most noticable difference is the finer details. I know that that has most to do with the resolution, and I don't want to have an image that takes up four screens just to be able to see fine detail.

And I've tried levels as well, the problem is that I always end up with something that looks conspicuosly 'touched up,' if you catch my drift.

if you could see the original you could tell more easily what I'm trying to describe, but basically, I have some very...sensitive(?) grays as well as hard blacks that get lost in the scanner. Thats as best as I can describe it. (Damn my poor active vocabulary!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giraffe: I like that 'Multiply layer' idea... I've never tried it. I'll give it a shot.

Anyone else who posts: I'll reply later...I have to go to class.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.