A CA.org videogame?!?!?1?1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A CA.org videogame?!?!?1?1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A CA.org videogame?!?!?1?1

Why dosen't CA.org make a videogame? I mean. It's not like we're in short supply of concept artists, modelers, game design document writer type people, environmental artists, and probably a hefty chunk of programmer type people here. So why not make one? There's enough manpower (and womanpower) here that it could be done in... a matter of weeks! Just think of it "From conceptart.org comes an mmorpgfpsrpgrtsbbq of epic proportions" and then it trails off from there detailing the sheer amount of ass kickery packed into the game. Man... That would rock.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    because... it's a stupid idea!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well what makes it a stupid idea, exactly?

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's already been tried in the "game design studio", an old section on CA that seems to be gone now. Sadly it didn't work very well, but I don't think it's a stupid idea to make a game or any other project with the fine people here if you keep it within reason, like making a mod for an existing game or something. I'm sure there's plenty of people that would join in the project if it's well presented and planned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually the idea isn´t bad at all -kinnda funny, but they are too much risks for many of these guys
    how do you want to controll more than let´s say 10000 people over the internet O.o, gonna have 10000 in a chat and lets look if somebody can give you a proper answer to your question, and there is much more to say because it wouldn´t work well and you also have to find people who would do that in their free time etc...

nah but really funny idea , may be it could work if it´s proper planned , dunno ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can piece something together if there's enough interest and patience, an online 2d game using wiki-style editing possibly.
    Been tossing the idea around for a while, but there is no knowing how well it'd work out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm.. Well, didn't know there used to be a section like that. As for organizing it. Well. Let's say first we limit the number of people so it wouldn't end up with 10000 people working on it. Let's limit the number to 9,999. Problem solved there . Then we could make teams. Each team member is given one task, and a deadline, let's say first are the writers. Stuff is written and submitted to a group of moderators, then that is passed on to the next team. Lets say some more writers who refines the writing. Then that stuff is passed on to the next team of people who does stuff, then that stuff is done, and then it goes down like that. Whoa! A huge assembly line! It starts off with writers, and ends with whoever ends this kind of stuff, and occasionally backtracks when something comes up. Yeah. That's how we could do it!

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem I see would be acquiring a large number of skilled programmers. Unless you make a small web game in flash or something similar (or use RPG maker)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, with 50,000 some odd members, i'm sure some of them know how to program. I'm probably wrong though.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Too many chefs? What if someone continiously comes up with bad ideas? What if those ideas are actually good and people just think the ideas bad? Who gets to be the dictator?

I was toying with the idea some years back of a rpg where you drew monsters to defeat them and earn XP to spend on your character, which you also draw. the advantage is that you can draw Orks, Dragons, swords, faces, decorated platemail, etc your way. I got some design docs somewhere but I'm not sure how far I got.

Anyways, I can imagine a still image game of some sort, maybe like Pokémon, ie. a world populated by 'still image' monsters. You enter data for the monster about its height, shape density (thin or bulky), density, skin/fur/natural armour, and all the appendages and manipulators (hands/jaws), sensors, yadda yadda, and from that the engine figures out the values like HP, penetration, agility, strength, which attacks it has (based on appendages). This way many people will be able to sync their stats for game balance purposes, they just describe what they have drawn.

Characters could be face portrait style with an abstract body for placing items (which are also drawn and defined by people)

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an idea they do on comicgenesis but on a much smaller scale which doesn't require programming.

http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?t=77132

They just give you a piece of land. The ability to buy more and then you just draw what happens on the land in a day by day progression.

But this is if you absolutely want to have a game ofcourse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought we already had a CA.org game:

Bop-a-Mole.

You know... people post large-eyed freaks with transparent bangs, or twisted pancreas sprayed with cat vomit and everyone puupy piles on them, whacking as hard and fast as we're able until we're caked in viscera, steam rising from the exposed, still-quivering entrails, and we laugh and laugh and laugh, and spell "owned" with a "p".

Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I recently thought about making some point&click adventure game with digitally painted enviroments/locations. Maybe with some program like this - http://www.adventuremaker.com/. There is free edition with limited options.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You don't necessarily have to have a full fledged game. Since this site is more art driven, you can "Concept a Game". Make a basic story and just have 1-5 people per object in the game based on a story. It'd be basically a very fledged out story book. But thats kinda what a game is: interactive story.

I think this would be quite fun if we kept it small and ran it once a month or something, like a contest. And once the timelimit ran out, we'd start up another. We could set up a vote for people to enter their story's and winner we take for the month. Hell, time constraint could be a week if you wanted. That would be interesting. try and design a game in a week.
    We have enough people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *waves frantically for attention*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Who'da thunked my thread would get so much attention? I kinda like s.s. snails idea. Hell, if we did something like that wouldn't it just be like adding to your portfolio? I mean, sure it wouldn't be high grade stuff, but it'd have to count for something, wouldn't it?. It'd be loads of fun anyway.

*Gives attention to sci-boy*

You mean kind of like Adventure Quest? Cept I think Adventure Quest is Flash driven. Not sure on that though.

page 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. I'll throw my two cents in for something that I've been kicking around for a bit -- like twenty years ( Yes. That's two zero). The original concept was for a board based game, back in the day before 3d graphics, laptops, wireless and ipods. Yes, I'm a bit old school.

Anyway, my basic idea is for a sci-fi turn based strategy game. Think something akin to the civilization series, but with less of an emphasis of special effects and eye popping graphics and more of an emphasis on game play, concepts and player personalization.

So, if there's a bored programmer in the house that doesn't have anything better to do, I'd love to talk with you.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh gawd no, not Adventure Quest, not an RPG of any kind.
    Probably something more akin to Myst, an exploration game of point and click proportions.
    Trying to piece together the story of what is happening through clues and puzzles.

Last edited by sciboy; October 15th, 2006 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it's not a top level section anymore but there has been some nice stuff going on in there lately:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm proposing a xhtml, css and javascript based engine which allows all who register to contribute 2d assets and overlay them on others work allowing linking to another "view".
    The appetising part of this is that as an exploration game and a community backing, we can allow for what will likely be very detailed environment, inspecting any objects etc.
    It will play smooth using ajax for preloading and instant interaction, support for animations through gif. Only major downside is no audio but as an art community that'd probably only introduce complications.

Since others can overlay and edit work, we could rough out the environments easily allowing contributors to produce the final assets and any other organisation can be handled through the wiki with the game design forum for discussion threads.

Last edited by sciboy; October 15th, 2006 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Myst is the worst game ever.. heck, it's not even a game.. it's... it's... DragonsLair, it's that hentai game you couldn't figure out where to click in, it's like... totally not awsome, at all! Oh - how I fart in your general direction, Myth. How I fart, sour little stealth farts in your general direction. Puff. Puff. Puff.

See, we're already arguing! This is why dictatorship is superiour to democracy. PS. dibs on being the dictator! Ha! Ya'll get to be mah proles.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; October 15th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sciboy - I've never played mist, but it does sound like a good idea. Only thing is at CA most people are more focused on character designs before enviroments. Any ideas on putting in a billion characters in a game?

But I think designing enviroments and objects would still be a good idea for those intrested in being a part of a real game. Surely there would be enough people intrested either way. Perhaps a Poll on each enviroment ideas, objects, and so forth?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in the end we probably do need a dictator and my votes for prom cause he's the sexiest dictator i know. he puts the tator in dictator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know we could hook with some people from Gamedev.net, or flipcode.com if programmers are a problem.

And prom would be a good choice I think as well if he's willing.

Btw Prom, what's wrong with an adventure game? All we need is some actual gameplay in one besides just solving puzzles like Myst.

Last edited by 2b BOY; October 15th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread should be moved to the game section or?
    Seems that many have game ideas here..... why don´t you start threads with those, may be others like the ideas and wants to join?

Actually myst was not that bad i really like the environment design only the gameplay was boring or may be smth different for my taste ;P

Last edited by Myako; October 15th, 2006 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    NOOOES! Dont distract prom any more! He needs to finish his exile project! Right prom? I'll model and animate all the characters and robots and whatnot if you need me to.. I just want to play that game so BAAAAD!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sciboy
    *waves frantically for attention*
    I see you over there. Let's dump these pessimistic party poopers and make something!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepulverture
    Why dosen't CA.org make a videogame? I mean. It's not like we're in short supply of concept artists, modelers, game design document writer type people, environmental artists, and probably a hefty chunk of programmer type people here. So why not make one? There's enough manpower (and womanpower) here that it could be done in... a matter of weeks! Just think of it "From conceptart.org comes an mmorpgfpsrpgrtsbbq of epic proportions" and then it trails off from there detailing the sheer amount of ass kickery packed into the game. Man... That would rock.
    Either you're really under estimating the amoutn of time and eme with production values thatnergy that would have to be spend going into this, or you're going to make a game with production values that would only require a team of about 5 people.. Also, trying to coordinate with people who have jobs and school to work steadily on a game being produced in no common studio would be very hard.

If you're just looking to do concept work for practice, try Seedling's game design thread. Some of the guys on the site like myself, Romance, Danomight have started a 'fake game' project, like s.s. nails was talking about. where we are producing just artwork. I think that might be a bit more reasonable.

-Loren

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I wasn't voluntering for anything, I'm too busy with my own stuff. "If you want something done, do it yourself." Sadly I fail to take my own orders, so as a dictator I'm a complete failure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.