• Flake

0 0%

Thread: IDW 0018: Steampunk Submersible [VOTING]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW 0018: Steampunk Submersible [VOTING]

Topic: Steampunk Submersible

Background: The depths of the sea are uncharted, only a few dare go beneath the ocean waves.
    Design a vehicle that does just that.

Captain Nemo's Nautilus is a good starting point.

Brief:

1. Design a submersible vehicle for exploring the depths of the ocean

2. No modern or futuristic technology, make it steampunk.

-------------------

D-Holme

-------------------

Dragonspit

Davy Jones's pirate submersible was responsible for a handful of legends. When he popped up out of no where, it was like a ghost ship appearing from no where. There was a coating of a whitish phospherous film on a lot of the top. It came from the caves where repairs where done out of site. The bullnose looked a lot like a whale and from afar looked as such. One thing was certain, you didn't want to see this, up close.

-------------------

Eric Gerhard

The Deep Dive I was built during the Industrial Revolution, in the middle of the XVIII century. Using mineral coal as its main source of fuel, the DD - I, could go deeper than the imagination would go and its captain, Arthur Dylan, was the first man to go underwater more than 1000 meters.

-------------------

osaeck

Since the king has such high standards of the design of his fleet (he really likes gold and bronze details) even his scout ships can't carry out their orders properly since the design is slowing them down significally in speed.

-------------------

cesaraguilar

My submarine sails in the surface with coal and under the water with air turbine

-------------------

Goran

-------------------

Flip

Phallus II, designed by Captain Wang and first mate Johnson, has been highly successful in ploughing the depths of the ocean. The ship is kept in good condition by a team of engineers - Mrs. Palmer and her 5 daughters. The sack at the base of the ship works much like a standard pair of bellows and is used for propulsion - in general vigorous movement of the sack results in the ship rising, when left alone, the ship goes down. Phallus II is believed to dock in an underwater cavern in the vicinity of the island of Clitoris, which many believe to be a myth.

-------------------

Flake

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes for Goran!

D-Holme - Very beautiful work. I'd vote you, but I think you could have added more atmosphere to your work. Anyway, congrats, I'm your fan! hehehe

Dragonspit - Hey, man, nice job you did here. Think the only point is the lack of sharpness, some parts are too blurry, avoiding using too much blender on Painter. Try to work more with the lights. Cheer up!

osaeck - I really enjoyed your design, but I think it isn't finished yet. Still sounds too skecthy, but sure is one of my favorites.

cesaraguilar - I like it. It looks like a U-boat, but the design doesn't sound too original, despite I enjoyed your drawing.

Goran - Nothing to say my friend. Think you have really gotten the essence of the idea of looking like the Nautilus. For me, Perfect!

Flip - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's great, simply great! My only questioning is that I think it's too dark and not so clear. But this is great even though.

Flake - That's pretty good, but I think you could have invested a little more in details. Good work!

Now guys, I'll expect all C&C you could send to me. I really need it! hehehehe

Peace to you all my friends!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holme-Great modelling ,somehow when I am looking at it
    now it looks like submerged steamboot, the look of the
    submarine is not there.On the other hand the details are great ,
    very steampunk.So you have my vote.

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    osaeck You are my runner-up. goran wins my vote - nicely developed concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D-Holm: was my runner up, super nice design, great details. still a little dark though.

Eric: I liked a lot of the design parts. Loved the view port on the front. Still had trouble with the perspective, just me. Many of the details seem lost in darks as well. I really liked the detail on the three forward spike things. the exhaust is rather large for the rest of the vehicle I would think.

[on your comments. I agree with the "softness" of the piece and appreciate the cc. I do use painter, but I dont blend (except for the quick back ground). I use multiple layers and big brushes. so maybe doing the piece larger and then sizing it down is doing that? some times I use the airbrush tool as well, maybe that also contributes to that look? not sure, but I do agree. part of that flat look I get I think, not sure. do appreciate the comments, I am looking for more of them to help better what I do. thanx a bunch]

Osaeck; Liked the design, more of a cartoonish thing. Just a little less finished than the others.

Cesaraguilar: I like the racy style, the description is pretty short, looks like it would be fast.

Goran: Got my vote. simply the best idea, presented in a professional manner.

Flip: what do you say to this lol.

Flake: a fun design, doesnt scream steampunk to me though. but well rendered.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Dragonspit!

Thanks a lot for the comments and crits. I'm happy that I helped you a bit!

Peace to you and keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goran takes the cake imo. Great final concept and presentation. Props to D-Holme for the model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IMO Goran absolutely nailed this topic. Brilliant design and awesome rendering. Great work!

lol Flip, your concept must be folio-worthy, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goran, great GREAT concept design!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dragonspit - a nice design idea that includes some good details that bring out the steam-punk feel. The background could do with being brought into the image a bit more.
    Eric Gerhard - An interesting direction taken with the design, a different interpretation on the steam punk aesthetic but certainly not out of place. More 'alien' in method - I am sure the detail behind it could be very interesting. My only critique would be that were the centre line rises up at towards the transom it throws the perspective out and the boat looks like it bends backwards - the lower kink does not help - a fix might have been to take some straight structure aft to help hold the eye in line.
    osaeck - I like the details of the design, I think that it would be well suited for a children's toy – nice bold details
    cesaraguilar - a clean and defined design. I feel that it comes across as more 1950's than 1850's.
    Goran - I liked the heavy and industrial feel of the details combined with the dynamic pose of the final image. Reminds me of the engines of the Victorian pump stations, huge and heavy but fluid in their motion.
    Flip - a good industrial feel from the rusty colour and heavy styling.
    Flake - a nice bit of modelling. It could have done with some more industrial stylings and perhaps some more detail to bring the concept together.

Thank you all for the comments, I'll have to have a look at increasing the atmosphere and bring the image out of the murk (although I did go for the classic views of submarines emerging from the gloom). I think perhaps a better lighting setup along the length would be the best way forward. I can see what Goran means when about it looking very steam ship like, maybe some more details (dive planes) would have helped with the under-water aspect of the design.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Holme
    I'll have to have a look at increasing the atmosphere and bring the image out of the murk (although I did go for the classic views of submarines emerging from the gloom). I think perhaps a better lighting setup along the length would be the best way forward.
    It is very dark, I didn't even see the backdrop planes on my monitor until I took it into PS although to be fair my monitor sucks..

It might be worth trying increasing the overall ambient light then simulate the murky depths with some sort of fog/depth/atmospheric effects or maybe particle systems?
    That might be overkill though and it's quite possible that a well placed fill light or two would do it.

It's still really good, I'm just thinking out loud here..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i voted for d-holme, just because of the shear volume of work that went into that, it shows in the render, pity about the darkness, being a 3d guy myself i know that its a big job, nicely done dude,

goran: amazing design, and easily the best render here, if i had a tenth of your tallent i would be a happy man, but i had to vote for the underdog, the only thing i can say against it is the bubbles coming off it, if there are bubbles then were is the air coming from, they would run out of air pretty soon with that volume of air escaping

flip: Ha, "its long hard and full of seamen" i ca't help but think that must have been floating around in your head when you were pulling this together, had it been a comp for the best phallic symbol then i might just have voted for you, nicely done dude.

Dragonspit: there is a fundemental design flaw with your design dude, paddlewheels work very well above water because they are only in the water for a short amount of time (and are only tryiny to make the water move in one direction), if its completly submerged its useless, cause its attempting to push water in every direction, its industrail design, to me that means form follows function, nice design but i couldn't over look that flaw.

cesaraguilar: I love the shape, very sexy and sleek, and the archemides (exuse my spelling) screw idea is a nice one, but to be honest without being in a tube of some kind they would be fairly useless, they don't have anything to really bite on, pity its just a sketch as well, would have liked to see it,

osaeck: haha like the idea of form outweighing the function, the only thing that i can say is i don't see/understand the propultion system, is that black hole at the front some kind of weapon or is it a water inlet? plus the render is really flat, the blue is almost indistinguishable from the water,

Flake:For some reason the most annoying thing about your design is that the round veiwing ports are surrounded by a square, don't know why but that really bugs me, its an ok render dude, the colour is very flat and almost boring, doesn't really feel "steampunk" to me, sorry for being harsh, just saying what came to mind when i looked at it.

Eric Gerhard: nice design, feels a bit "UFO" for me, and there seem to be perspective errors, but that could just be me, the other thing is all the bubbles, where are they coming from? unless you are using some strange oxidisation process then they are just removing air from the sub, which will either be killing the crew or making the sub slowly weigh more, plus those two big funnels would be a real drag issue on a sub, i love the three spars running forward of the bridge, they give it a really cool look, what are the exposed gears at thae back about? they seem out of place,

man, i've been complety out of order and quite mean, sorry folks, its not personal, just looking at the art.

had i got my concept in it would have kicked all your asses, (hahahaha cough cough, ok so thats a bit of a lie)

Last edited by PianoForte; October 20th, 2006 at 03:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PianoForte
    man, i've been complety out of order and quite mean, sorry folks, its not personal, just looking at the art.

had i got my concept in it would have kicked all your asses

Last edited by Flake; October 20th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Goran. The design is quite pleasing to the eye, and the illustration is beautiful. D-Holme was a close second, for his design was well-thought out and the description was good. It lacks the eye candy of Goran's, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by "out of order" i was not implying "oy! your right out of order you are" but that my comments where not in any specific order related to the artwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job Goran, excellent rendition of the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by cognition.sb
    lol Flip, your concept must be folio-worthy, right?
    Abso-phallic-lutely.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    goran Wonderful stuff for sure, close to perfect presentation and a lovely concept to boot; easily gets my vote.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Goran totally nailed this one.

Bonus points to everyone else for finishing their entries even though we already had an obvious winner.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.