IDW - Activity Discussion - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Sorry for not jumping in here sooner, I took a couple days off to deal with a few things.

On Participation: I think the ideas presented so far are all good tactics. Getting the challenges out there each week always helps, as does promoting a general awareness that we're here. I've done what I can to do my part, but like myself a lot of the core group right now tends to mostly reside in this section of the forums. Those who do travel around should definitely spread the word as best they can. The mentoring thread should also generate some visibility. The trick really is to get one or two heavy hitters involved on a regular basis. People often flock to where the talent is. Another idea to throw out there would be every so often to have a week where we tie into the CHOW topic. For example with the current one, some sort of religious object would be appropriate. Then those working on their CHOW entries could think about the IDW one in parallel and see if they want to work on both entries since they're in the same line of thought. I say CHOW because it's the most relevant to ID, whereas objects for creatures or environments would be harder to fit in closely. A character always has accessories though. Just one idea.

On References: I'm actually of a different mindset than most on this one. I feel slamming too many references of other people's work can often influence one's design more than it should. There's a fine balance somewhere in there that should be held. Additionally, I think it goes against the spirit of what we do here. One of the core ideas behind following weekly briefs is to emulate a working environment, where you're given a topic and you have to deliver. Collecting references is a big part of what a designer has to do when working on a project, and I think it's important that each one goes through that on their own as opposed to being handed everything on a silver platter. A few references for inspiration are fine as part of the brief and often are present at work as well. But I've seen some rounds that were utterly swamped with reference material. Call me a strict and mean bastard, but pushing ourselves is what we're about and I feel that's part of the process. Now a separate thread where we might share inspiration that's unrelated to a topic is a whole different matter, and would likely help many. But that should serve as general inspiration. If we're doing tanks, that thread shouldn't be flooded with tank images for the week (and why the hell are we all using tanks as an example, heh).

On Critiques: As any regular participant as of late knows, I'm big on them. For me it's as important as the creation of an entry, because one often learns as much from both. I've said this before, but I think crit for those who participate in a round should be mandatory. If you spent a week working on and submitting an entry, you should be able to find a few minutes to offer in-depth critique for everyone else. Especially since you'll be receiving critique on your own entry from others. For those that didn't participate it should obviously be optional and welcome, but for participants it should be at least an unwritten rule.

All for now as I have to get back to work.

PS: Yoitisi, I'm all over the icon situation and I'll shoot some ideas to you soon. I actually started working on this a while back after talking with Oregano about their icon plans for CHOW, which he told me he'd touch base with you about. I'm guessing he recently did and that's why you brought it up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Thanks for the input form2function

I was thinking about suggesting a collaboration with all the activities but I have not yet done so because first COW 100 was going on, then CHOW 100 and now POW just started, so I'll leave that for now.

The reference thread I had in mind would focus more on modern art, different real life Industrial Designers and their work, some design history etc. There's a lot to learn from what happens outside CA and outside the profession of concept artist that can be implemented in here. The shape of a simple well designed chair can inspire you to use it for your tank design (there you go, tanks again ). I don't think having a lot of specific reference in there is very useful. Some military themes and stuff is fine, but since I try to make the topics as diverse as I can I want the thread to be more of a general inspiration ground with different styles and design philosphies. I'll have more time to fix this in two weeks time as most of my deadlines are done by then, but after that I'll see what I can do.

Making the providing of critiques and comments mandatory is something I will not do ever. This community is all about sharing etc. but it has to come from the participants themselves. I cannot force people to critique nor can I force them to participate in the first place. Even if, I think a forced post of critique will never be whole heartedly done and thus less usefull. I do encourage people to critique though, because as form2function already said, you can learn from giving critique as much from recieving it.

Last edited by yoitisi; January 17th, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks
    Drats. I had an entry for the Harvester Challenge that I didn't finish in time for voting. I've never really tried my hand at Industrial Design before, so there was some trial and error involved.

Is there an appropriate place to show it anyways? I'm going to finish it up even though it can't get in the voting, and I'd still love to hear some feedback.

Last edited by J Wilson; February 17th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    The Dweller: You can put it up in the voting thread, although it won't show up in the poll you can at least get some comments on it

Thanks
    Thanks, I'll do that.

Thanks
    The voting thread seems to be closed.

Thanks
    The Dweller: Oops you're right. Fixed it

Thanks
    yoitisi - I think the direction of utilizing a hanful of pictures and working from that for the star fighter was a great idea. I dont think we use that kind of inspiration enough. Wish I could be involved more, just can not right now. the star fighter threads and I am sure the ongoing carrier thread will be as good. doing a great job with this forum.

Thanks
    Dragonspit: Thanks for the kind words hope to see you around in future IDW's then.

Thanks

General Question

Heya Yoitisi - in terms of the rendering style for the IDW challenges, is stylized/cartoony ok? I understand the point of completely functional industrial design is to be as realistic as possible, but I think stylized rendering would lend itself really well to some of the topics I've seen (not a crit).

Cheers!

Thanks
    Ye oldskool: The only problem I have with stylised/cartoony is that it can easily be used to hide flaws in the design and/or functioning of the machine. Also, don't use it as an excuse to deliver 5 minutes work. Apart from that, do as you see fit

Thanks
    Any idea when we can expect a new topic guys?
    I never really got into the 'Deep' uber-topic so its seemed to drag on forever. With the poll about to close can we look forwards to some new briefs? Forum is looking kinda sad and empty at the moment

Thanks
    Maieth: New round is up: IDW #71: Demolition Derby Car

Thanks
    Just been reading through the (half a year old) discussion, I hope nobody minds me reviving this discussion.

I was interested by the comparisons to the other activities, like a CHOW topic of "Spanish High Inquisitor" compared to an IDW topic "Spanish High Inquisitor's Crucifix (or Bible)", or "Thor's Hammer" as opposed to "Thor". This reminded me of some article about games for girls, where they criticised the idea that boys can single-handedly save the universe, while girls are only allowed to become prom queens. Who wants to design Thor's hammer when they can design Thor (complete with hammer)? That's why tanks and spaceships do well - they're big, they're grand, and everyone notices them.

I don't know if it's inevitable that IDW remain an insular group, the technical aspect probably scares off a lot of people. It takes someone a bit different to look at a Stormtrooper and talk about flexible joints, air filters, poor visibility and utility belts. Most people would prefer talking about them serving the Empire, being clones and dying out in the last ice age.

Anyway, maybe I should see about entering a few of these again, that's a surer way of adding participants.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Flip: Sorry for seeing this so late Some valid points there. I'll try to think of it when coming up with topics. Hope to see you in future rounds

Thanks
    Hello, I've been wondering if You or anyone could or would please recommend some books that I could search in the library for related to Indrustrial Design or in some way may help? A full name of the author and the title if possible, Thankyou.
    ~Sean

Thanks
    hey mr.s 14. theres a fair few books i can recommend to you, they are mostly about design sketching and rendering. we had to get these for uni ...

1. Design Sketching by Erik Olofsson/Klara Sjolen

2.Sketching, drawing techniques for product designers by Koos Eissen/Roselien Steur

3.Design Rendering Techniques: A Guide to Drawing and Presenting Design Ideas by dick powell

hope that helped mate

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pulse For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks

Thankyou Pulse, I will look into those books. I appreciate it.

Thanks
    you should link the voting thread to the winners so that we can see all the entries, like in COW

Thanks
    Darthnader: I think you already mentioned that somewhere. I am planning to, and maybe I'll refurbish the winners thread a bit while I'm at it. Doing that for more than 70 rounds will take a while though, and I need to find the time for it first.

Thanks
    oooh maybe you can find a visiting angel to do it for you!
    I did

*bows to bartdeco*

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

24. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    I did

*bows to bartdeco*
    Ohhhh. You are such a shit!

Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi
    Darthnader: I think you already mentioned that somewhere. I am planning to, and maybe I'll refurbish the winners thread a bit while I'm at it. Doing that for more than 70 rounds will take a while though, and I need to find the time for it first.
    OK, yoitisi, would you be interested in having 'someone' help you out here?

Will you be creating a presentation template (like EOW or COW) or does someone need to do that, too.

Might take more time than EOW did, though.

Let me know,
    bart (the abused)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bartdeco View Post
    bart (the abused)
    Hehehe poor Bart

I'll have to look into it to see how much work it is, but I think I can manage it. I was indeed planning on giving it a template and all that. Anyway, I'll let you know if I need help. Thanks for the offer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    I did

*bows to bartdeco*

OK, after further review, I take this back:
    Quote Originally Posted by bartdeco
    Ohhhh. You are such a shit!
    I thought at first you were pointing yoitisi in my direction (which I don't mind) to have me do it. I thought you saw me browsing the thread, because your message showed up just after I wandered in.

Instead, I now understand you were thanking me. (I can be such a dork)

Thanks for the bow,
    bart (the not so abused)

Thanks
    well..I am kind of a shit.. but only because I was rubbing yoit's face in it a little. doing a little superior dance, because mine is all updated. due entirely to you, i might add.
    of course I am abusing your good nature. but you gotta know I appreciate it.
    and there is NO assumption that you will continue. although yikes it is sure a relief. and NO assumption the you will do the same for my friend yoitisi , here. BUT totally ..thank you for what you have done.
    crx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    As some of you might've noticed, IDW now has its own winners icons I'm in the process of getting up to date with adding them at the moment - everyone who won more than 2 rounds already got them- but should be done with that soon-ish.

If there are any problems with yours, or if you'd rather not have them (for any obscure reason..) just let me know.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice work Yoitisi, glad to see the icons were finally added (and my apologies for disappearing on you in that regard).

I've followed the progress of our little ID corner from a distance, as time permits, and I have to say I've been seriously impressed with the growing level of talent that's been thrown into many of the past rounds.

I'm looking forward to jumping in again in the future once my life settles a bit (moved to Europe, new job, new life, etc). Until then, my hat's off to the artists that continue to participate and develop themselves through the IDW's and more so to you Yoit for putting up with us.

Thanks
    Hey form2function, cool to have you in here again I wondered what'd happened with you but good to see you're still still around. Hang tight for round 100 I'd say!

Thanks
    Question about IDW in general: Are we allowed to use AutoCAD for 2D orthographics? It's one of my favorite graphics programs, and seems suited to the purpose.

My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I have a quick question.

If we post our WIPs in the appropriate ID thread, is it ok to cross-post them to the general forums' WIP thread as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10