Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: IDW - Activity Discussion

Thanks

IDW - Activity Discussion

This is for general discussion to do with IDW.
    Feel free to post your likes, dislikes, starsign, etc.

IDW on Facebook!

Name:  IDW logo gray small.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  6.0 KB
    Last edited by yoitisi; April 4th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
    Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    As stated in an earlier post, I think Flip is doing a good job at picking subjects that will keep the forum going. In addition, like some of the other popular threads, keeping up the winners gallery is good I think. I know I like to just peruse them all. very inspiring at times, so keeping this one up and intact is important and has been doing well with that to.

I am partial to the machines, gadgets and things Flip has been picking. I think some folks would like to see more difficult situations, but it seems to me when that happens, the thread struggles. so that can be a fine line.

I think the last couple of winners have had outstanding pieces, not only in their designs, but the presentation which has me thinking in a new direction as well. growing, which this site is all about eh?

Thanks
    ^ agreed, as I mentioned in this weeks topic: an excellent revival (if I remember correctly it was struggling a while ago).

Now, we just need to get more people involved!

Thanks
    I think my only critique so far, are the designs that have to be "stealthy." Many a times if something has to be stealthy, then the design overall isn't as important cause it wont really be seen. Either that or it is something super small.

Would like to get others opinions on this.
    Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    in stealth apart from components design play a vital part,no one cud imagin a b-2 bomber 10 years bak before it took off..it changed laws of physics in design..so i say design are important in stealth in a very different sense

Thanks
    Flip are you ok? I hope you're not hospitalized!

Thanks
    Didn't even know this thread existed until dragon posted up. Hah! Anyway, I know it's an old discussion, but about the "stealth" thing...

Just because something is stealthy (with regards to an aircraft or some other vehicle), that doesn't mean it can't be seen, it just means it can't be seen on radar. What it looks like is still important, maybe not from an aesthetic sense, which is why it's "Industrial" design, but from a practical one...

The really cool part of the designing is coming up with an airframe that is best at deflecting or diffusing its radar signature. This can make for some kickass concepting.

Or you could go the Predator route and make it invisible. But that would be boring.

Thanks
    The winner's gallery hasn't been updated in 2007 yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Since I just started to get this thread going again, I think it is good to make some announcements here.

First of all, I posted a new topic:

IDW 0037: Massive Excavator

I figured a huge and relatively simple machine would be a good start. It is not my intention to do only big and brutal machines and weapons in the future, just like past IDWs I want to incorporate as many different topics and products within this weekly activity.

I do not intend to run IDW in a whole new way since I'm only doing this until Flip has got time again to take care here. I hope I can keep the IDW quality high and that everyone involved will do so as well

Also, since I'm just starting out with moderating this part of the forums, any comment & critiques on what I do or should do are welcome .

Last but not least, I'll try to update the IDW winners thread asap.

Edit: I think setting up a poll for the last round is a bit unnecessairy since there are only two entries, instead I'll put both of them in the winners thread under Technological Tyranny I think.
    Last edited by yoitisi; June 21st, 2007 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Last week I was thinking that maybe IDW should have it's own avatar. C.O.W. has it's..well..cow, CHOW also has it's own avatar and EOW also has one of sorts as a header. I also noticed that we are approaching IDW nr. 50 (still some 5 rounds to go but what the hell), so would it be an idea to combine the 2? Make round 50 about an IDW avatar I can use for IDW and put in the header of each new round?

I have no idea what it should be, maybe a robot or something else mechanical, but any ideas are of course welcome. Let me know what you people think.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    i think this weeks robot gladiator would have been a good one, or in that sort of direction

Thanks
    Bringing it here so that we don't clutter the weekly design thread...

Basically I think keeping the atmosphere a bit looser here than say CHOW is acceptable. I don't think anyone really minds you being soft with the deadlines, especially due to having a busy schedule. At least I don't, I shouldn't speak for others. However the competition here isn't as stiff, we don't have nearly as many entries as CHOW on a weekly basis, and I think the regulars do a good enough job of moderating themselves and others. If an entry slips in a touch late or the deadline is extended, you don't really have a hundred angry artists to content with if you catch my meaning.

Having said that, I think Legato's idea of a countdown clock might be a cool touch. Not as much for keeping the deadline accurate to the second, but more for us to quickly get a feel for how much time we have left. Even if the thread wasn't locked to the minute of that clock, it would serve to push us a bit in our minds with regards to the deadline.

Technically, I don't think we're allowed to embed flash via vB, as cool as that would be, so what would be needed is for Yoitisi or someone else to set up the clock elsewhere and provide a link to it at the top of each weekly thread. I'm perfectly willing to offer my server space up for a countdown page if it's needed, since I have plenty of bandwidth to spare these days. I think I'd need to reset it myself if I do host it, but that's something I'd be willing to do as well.

Think it over and if you'd like me to help in any way let me know.

PS: Once Yoit gets our banner done, that'll be a cool addition to the clock as well.

Thanks
    hi guys, i just did my super quick undead carriage. Also this week, i took part in the core77 1 hour design challenge. the brief was to design an e-book. fairly open brief. here was my solution. i feel i may be in with a shout at the top 3.

let me know your thoughts

http://boards.core77.com/viewtopic.php?t=14530

IDW - Activity Discussion

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast