Art: A couple concepts..

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A couple concepts..

So, I recently felt worried by the uncertainess of getting enough illustration work to pay my rent right out of school. So I am switching gears from illustration to concept art (or trying, never taken a class on it, in fact these are my first real attempts at concept type work)

anyways, I will be doing more work very soon since I have no portfolio at all with concept art in it. I would LOVE some feedback...I need to improve rapidly, cause I needs myself a job when im done with school (in December!)

A couple concepts..

A couple concepts..

more to come~!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MikeMitchell; October 14th, 2006 at 03:49 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it man, I think it looks good, the poses are a little stiff, but I think thats fine, its got some style, nice colors. I hope you post some more stuff like this, and good luck finding a job.

Joe.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    These are a good start. Now do about 100 more .
    *EDIT: I just realized who you were. Don't sell yourself short. Sure, freeelancing is tough, but you've got as good a shot as an illustrator as anyone I've seen.

Last edited by Elwell; October 14th, 2006 at 09:46 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice man
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the first one a lot. It's very interesting and I can already start thinking of a back story just by looking at him. Keep exploring the design and it would make a strong portfolio piece. Just start asking yourself a bunch of questions. What's the top view like? And the back view? Is the character's face shown or hidden, is this a suit he wears to work in or does he need it to live? Is he in a gas or a liquid? And so on.

Another thing that I think makes a strong portfolio is having some orthographic views or your work. I think they show how well a draftsman you are. Good luck!

Roger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're definitely onto something in that second one as far as design, but he looks like he is supposed to be fast. I may be
    wrong but that top "V" and padding he's got is going to be very bad for wind resistance. The first one is nice too, only thing that bugs
    me is the light blue light, maybe work that better into the accordian limbs or something, small suggestion. Fantastic for your first concepts,
    and these feel really fresh. Best of luck, hope to see more~*

____i_should_be_animating___________
    Sartell's Distraction sketchbook

Nothing touches an artist as much as the person who says, “I would like to own this little piece of your soul… here's some cash.” Matt Cavotta

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    These are a good start. Now do about 100 more .
    *EDIT: I just realized who you were. Don't sell yourself short. Sure, freeelancing is tough, but you've got as good a shot as an illustrator as anyone I've seen.

Yeh, Its just that I am moving straight out of college, from Chicago back to California (or wherever I find a job I like) and I want/need a steady income, and I have always wanted to do concept art, just wasnt sure if I could pull it off. I would love to start with a job, and pick up freelance on the side. I feel confident I could do illustration work, just dont have the networking to get started (my school is TERRIBLE in that aspect, though I guess I shouldnt be depending on my school for anything) Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rogfa
    Another thing that I think makes a strong portfolio is having some orthographic views or your work. I think they show how well a draftsman you are. Good luck!

Roger
    Yeh, I have done those before for an illustration assignment. They are fun and a pain in the rear. I took 3 years of drafting in high school.....so its not a problem. I will be doing some anyways though...thanks for the tip

If anyone has any advice for other types of things I should be putting into acharacter concept art portfolio, please lemme hear it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good idea concept art is the art. It's sort of like a 1950's depiction of astronauts in the year 2000, it's concept art in my book, they are to centered and that lack of interesting composition makes them feel kind of boring, I'm sure, however, you could incorperate this idea into a more appealing piece, don't take that the wrong way everything can be better, I would love to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Halifax
    Good idea concept art is the art. It's sort of like a 1950's depiction of astronauts in the year 2000, it's concept art in my book, they are to centered and that lack of interesting composition makes them feel kind of boring, I'm sure, however, you could incorperate this idea into a more appealing piece, don't take that the wrong way everything can be better, I would love to see more!
    great feedback, i agree. I am just doing a few character concepts for a studio to show them I can do it...all my illustration work is based around composition and such...thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first thing i thought when i saw the 2nd picture was "those are some rough lines" especially on his dome. clean, hard lines on clean, hard surfaces may be something you could try.
    just my unprofessional 2 cents

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.