Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Not much tonight, sorry! So tired...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    really encouragin stuff, your sketches have really great linework for the most part, and the limited colour work youve done has nice values to it. i really seriously like the piece with people around a table in particular, might be a concept to take further.

Thanks
    wtf, you update like a lunatic!
    neck studies are insane, not surprised you're getting so damn good.

Thanks
    Thank you 2, I appreciate it. I try to see how much I can post before I get too many comments. I'm already 10 posts away from page 3, which really sucks because there doesn't seem to be much work on this page- but then again, the attachment manager Puts the work side by side and vertically, instead of just plain vertically like you would with a 3rd party host- so it seems like less, but I guess it isn't. =\

INSPIRATION megaload. Kickin around some cruddy concepts inspired by the Arena Net team post!!! Gah my brain tingles just thinkin about it!!!

Thanks
    Dear Justin,

Sexy concepts, now FINISH ONE.

Love,
    greencock

ps: thanks for the headsup on the arenanet post.
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    So I got this letter recently right? Some assbag asked me to finish a concept. To shut him up, I decided to do it. Here are the lines, I will color it soon as well.

It's all a single picture, so.. yeah. Though I need to lengthen the forearms as well... After Robot chiken ends that is..

EDIT: Added color WIP!
    Last edited by Justin.; December 3rd, 2006 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Assbag?! Thems be fightin' words boy!
    Today Ive also been called a cuntrag and a cumbucket so im guessing all the bases are covered?

The concept could be taken further before colour i think, lookin at him from the front he seems somewhat bland, give im some more oomph!
    Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    hehe...I've been feelin' the same way about that arena net thing and I'm diggin' the stuff your crankin' out lately too.. 'specially that lion/wolf guy. can't wait to see the finished concept

Thanks
    Hey Justing, lots of good updates from the last time I saw your SB.

If I would suggest anything, I guess I would say to increase your focus to details, and raise the definitions of outlines and shadings, because it looks to me that you're already very capable in capturing the general forms.

Just my two cents, hope it's relevant in anyway.

Thanks
    To add to what JERI said - spend more time on your drawings, try to bring them to (something like) a finished state and push each one. I really like this one, it shows you spending more time.
    For the recent image try to avoid black shadows and white highlights, give them colour, it will add a lot more life to the image. Putting a base colour over the entire image at the start (or even halfway) can help.

You can't stop updating can you?
    Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Thanks for the Crits GreenTopaz, Assbag(lol), JERI and Flip,

WIP update- I haven't been painting it on a white BG, I just posted the first color WIP like that to bug Idiot apathy =P I've been painting over navy the whole time as seen below.

Some contour SP's, contour hand, Anatomy for the artist Face, Ribs, bodies, and a study from it with focus on the Serratus and Oblique muscles and how they interact (I really need to learn thems).

Thanks
    nice work !

Your forms have improved dramatically since you've been doing those blind contours !! (Which is no surprise to me, they worked wonders for me too.)

I too would love to see some more finished works, hope you'll finish the centaur (or whatever you'd call that). But I'm really liking the last anatomy studies and SP's too !

Thanks
    Looks like I can slip one more update on this page, Woot!

About the following updates; some thoughts;

've always had this philosophy about Acting, that you HAVE to keep an immature mentality, you have to act like a kid and pretend... You are in a giant blue room with cameras everywhere, dressed up in a costume. You gotta play pretend... that's all, and I think that's just what the best actors do. I also feel this carries in to drawing to a point;
    Personally, I have become so absorbed with study and getting things memorized that at one point for some reason, I just wasn't drawing like I did before I started studying- personally a big mistake. I look at people now like Green Topaz and J a k e- they are 17/18 I think, but they both have all this great exposure- and both have been drawing with an evolving sort of style all along, though they still study a bit(well, I know jake does, Green Topaz literally does very few studies -or so she tells me). Jake got in ImagineFX, Green Topaz is a celebrity around here... they both have clear identities- and now I feel like I am just a face in the crowd.. drawing all the same stuff, like I've lost my own artistic identity, and now I have to really fight to get it back. I feel like since I quit really just doodling so many months ago when I joined CA, I lost something that every doodler has, which is ideas. and as much as I try now, I can't come up with spoot. My brain just keeps kickin' around but nothing that is me ever comes out... so tonight after ripping out about 3 pages of explorative crap, I still have no idea what direction I am headed too. Some people will say "Don't force a style"- or that I have my own style... but I don't feel like I have my own style, I feel like I have other people's. I don't feel like what I am drawing is as good as I can draw because I'm not putting any of myself into my drawings. To tell the truth it feels like I have forgotten all of my old doodler's self, and while it's good to a point for the sake of academicness and improvement, it also is a pitfall when it comes to standing out without basing everything on stolen influences.

Hope people get what I'm saying... anyways, here's the sketches.

Thanks
    Seriously good stuff happening here man - your getting a good feel for characters, movement and anatomy (proportions esp). The penultimate page fuckin rools.

My only crit, which i think is improving slowly, is that your line quality is pretty harsh in places, your blind contours are really picking this up and making it better though. Its reall gonna benefit you if you can learn to strike the paper right place, angle, pressure etc first time. Its hella hard, but its worth it. Its something ive been working on recently, although the one thing it does is slow you down - it will still help.

On the whole style, and not getting recognised, im completly in the same boat. All my ideas are out the window, and my work feels bland.
    I dont think you can work to a style at all, if you push it too hard, its like beginner anime (the extreme for me) it goes very wrong i think). But i think one thing that you might benefit from, is having ideas, rather than just a flashy style that gets you around (no offense Jake or Topaz, both good stuff ). Try mixing your studies with styles aswell - do style studies aswell, masters and dudes around here. I think as long as your doing art then ure improving somewhere - sometimes you just hit more than 1 bird with the rock.

Gonna drop by more and see how you percervier, nice to see someone on the same page as me

Good luck anyways.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    (If just initiating in following conversation, please refer back top the bottom of page 2!)

It isn't so much a style as in "Way I draw certain things" Like pointy noses or tiny eyes, big arms, feet behind smoke clouds... What I mean is the combination of ideas and execution that results in a good piece- Topaz has the round brush (classical I suppose) approach with Almost Android/Spritied away fusion ideas, but definitley with herself in there. J a k e has the whole Indie/Graphic Tee style going for him, with hard brush strokes and alot of exaggeration and clean marks. I have... alot less. Everything I have drawn recently is based on foundations, not on ideas, so instead of building an idea and applying foundations, I am building purely off the foundations with no ideas. It's like building a house- a carpenter can build a house, but he can't design it. It would be either a very bland house, or a very poorly designed house. An Architect can probably both design AND build a good house. Right now I feel like a Carpenter, building without a blueprint.

Today's sketchums!

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast