Sketchbook: Justin's Sketches (update on last page) - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin's Sketches (update on last page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that lion centaur definately reminds me of SOMETHING...but looks much better

now keep working on it.

About the style thing, i think someone that had very good foudations as a carpenter will understand how a house is made in a much more personal way...and could become, with time, an excellent designer...Style will develop as you grow, thats what i think, no need to worry about that...

keep up the good work

ciao

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, from what I've observed, style develops as you explore your ideas, not so much as when you study. The problem I'm having isn't creating the "Original style of drawing" which some seek, with unique lines and unique ways of drawing people- I'm looking for the Identity, something that sets me apart from other artists, like a pitch. I know style as in, Drawing a certain way- will grow as I do, but I'm not looking for that.

I know Idiot apathy and greensock will keep telling me not to compare myself with others, but for example;
    J a k e does tons and tons of his own ideas in digital, TONS of them, and a few studies here and there. Same thing with Green Topaz. Where as, I do TONS AND TONS of studying, with very little of my own ideas. Eventually the ideas tend to die out and fade away, and all you remember are foundations and other pieces of art And begin to think "How can I make that art", when what I think the real question should be, "How can I make art that I like?". What makes other people like art isn't so much the ideas (though sometimes it is), but the color, composition, technical skill (or lack thereof), details, gesture, "style", etc- so when searching for an identity you need not worry what others think- it is for yourself. It really doesn't have as much to do with anatomy and perspecitve as it does with objects, subjects, and concepts.

To put it simply; Artistic Identity is what makes us interpret the TDome challenges differently- but Technical skill and style is what makes us enjoy all the pieces created.

Now I'm just rambling :X

@Andy below; I don't use it to depress myself, I have ALWAYS used it as a motivator primarily. I'm not worried about "Style" that will make others like my art, as I said.

Last edited by Justin.; December 4th, 2006 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    "How can I make art that I like?".

I think that should hit it on the head, and that will send u in the right direction. Stop worrying about 'style' that makes others like your art, and adore u as a character. Do what makes u like Yourself and youll get everyone elses attention.

And before Idiot and Socks tell you - stop comparing yourselfs to others so downputting - allow ureself to say there better than you, but learn from it, rather than get annoyed at it.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I generally use how crap i am compared to someone i admire as somthing to motivate me and get me working at my style but not just that; it probably gets me to start analising all of my thoughts and ideas n helps me to create the appropriate world around my ideas. So: "Well, from what I've observed, style develops as you explore your ideas, not so much as when you study." - i coldnt agree with you more. i hope ive explained myself well enough for other people to get what im saying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing creative stuff makes you more creative.

What you'll find is that when you haven't done much creative stuff recently it'll look like shit. You've got to force yourself to plough through that shit and keep working, which will result in your creativity returning to you.

It's not like riding a bike. You have to keep in practice.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap man, you're on fire! seriously, you're flying along really nicely. the contours are great (really should do more of those myself) and as always your shading and study work is amazing. I also really like the way that centaur concept is coming along... you're work ethic and improvement is really inspiring.

just read the stuff on the previous page and this page pertaining to style and identity, and I just figured I'd give my 2 cents on the topic. going with your definition of one's Artistic Identity, personally I think that we all have our own identities in our art, since, unless we are straight up copying something, we all put at least a little of ourselves into what we do. I agree that doing strictly studies and such can drain one's creativity and personal involvement in a piece, but I think that one's identity remains there to at least some degree. following cliches and obvious paths are bound to happen when your creativity is strained (I know it's happened to me before). that's also the double edged sword of using another's work for inspiration I guess. the only way I can see to alleviate this is to just bust yourself and just keep pushing through these creative blocks as Flip is saying. as you get through them and keep going you'll just start to get more ideas and think of more ways to approach things. things others might not think of; the longer you do it the more it will stand out. I might just be harping on ideas that have already been said, but that's really what I'm thinking.

I hope I could contribute at least a little to this conversation; I spent a little while thinking about that and typing it lol (I'm indecisive with my words at times). either way just keep up the good work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daily update? i love your blind contour, so fresh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonights sketches.

38 sketches for December.

On the FIFTH.

And still no signs of my Chronic BOS(Burn-Out Syndrome)!!!

Oh, and to clarify, the 2 hands on the bottom ARE Blind contours.

Attached Images Attached Images                  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hehe blind contours !
    They're good. I often do these.. and i never thought they'd help so much.
    Keep practicing, ...and you seem to use a pretty soft pencil....?? =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am building purely off the foundations with no ideas...It's like building a house- a carpenter can build a house, but he can't design it...
    wow, its like reading my mind. Going through this myself. And no idea how long it will last, or if it will pass at all.

Last edited by hito; December 6th, 2006 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Justin, I keep seeing this thread and always forget to take a look.
    I think you are making very good progress, Your gesture drawings and faces are very strong. Would be good to perhaps see abit more photoshop work and finished pieces? Cant really think of much else to say
    Just keep it up and do more

Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I know quite a few carpenters who designed some stunning houses and furniture, and even more horrendous architects who couldnt build or design worth shit.
    You worry too much about such trivialities such as style, and yes, just as you said I would, I am here to tell you to stop worrying so much about others and worry about yourself. What works for jake or topaz is different that what works for you or anyone else for that matter. As jake himself said, he isnt forcing a style, he is doing what he is comfortable with, what makes him happy, and what he is good at (all three of which are the vices and virtues of his work at the same time). As far as I can tell, you are not interested in any of those three (I most definitely am not at this point), so stop worrying...
    Here at my school there are 2 strands of illustration that I can specialize in 2nd year: Interpretive and Technical. At first glance this may look like your architect to carpenter comparison but I wouldnt agree. In interpretive illustration the focus is on the idea/design/style more than anything else. The ones who do best in this area are the ones who, like jake, have a style that suits them and that makes them happy, and the program helps them develop it further (example of one of my classmates). Those who dont have something of a style get the short end of the stick in this strand though because they become forced to adapt to a style. Personally, I believe both doing the stylization that youre good at or forcing a style that looks good are wrong, but thats just me. My problem with this route is the near-inflexibility of artists in this route, and the fact that no matter how creative, they can only take their style as far as their technical ability, meaning that they will eventually hit a plateau without realizing it (something ive already seen with many graduating students in the interpretive strand).
    The technical illustrative strand isnt perfect either though. Here the focus is on technique, formulas, studies, breakdowns, etc. which can lead to a well-executed but dull and lifeless image.
    You talk about how all you have are your studies and your designs are lacking. Rather than complain, work on your own work more but dont neglect the studies. Just because studying obviously doesnt do much for jake and topaz doesnt mean it doesnt help you. Examine yourself and what you need to work on and expand from there. As Jason told you, youve got a ways to go before applying to his atelier, but he didnt that only your technical or only your concepts need work. On the other hand i think it was Jason again who suggested that Greentopaz's creative paintings would be taken to a whole new level with the technique taught at the atelier. There is a reason why the foundation year there is similar to a traditional atelier before moving into the production and concept side of things. Develop both and go far.

Ask yourself what the point of each page youve posted here is... Are you learning something? How much time are you spending on each one? What more can you do to them?
    In the last study the only thing you seem to have spent real time on is the leaf render. Personally I think youre doing too many quick sketches, not enough sustained studies. Again its a personal thing, I learn more from staring at something for an hour than gesturing and sketching.
    Ok Im sure ive ranted long enough, and now im late for life drawing. see ya

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, I couldn't sketch at all today because I had no sketchbook... filled the last one up completley.

Gleeson
    : Thanks for the input =)

Flip:
    Nice logic

Waka:
    Thanks man!

Onir:
    Thanks for the words =) I'll keep them in mind.

Shylone:
    Danke!

Dan:
    Matter of factly I usually use mechanical...

Hito:
    Chin up man! I know it will pass- I just want it to pass quicker!!

Mr Man:
    I'm glad you decided to drop in this time! Thank you!

Greeny:
    First of all;
    Actually I know quite a few carpenters who designed some stunning houses and furniture, and even more horrendous architects who couldnt build or design worth shit.
    You get the point of the metaphor man... Second- I think you have begun to misinterpret Observing with worrying- I was mostly stating observations about artistic Identity and the role it plays- sure there were some slightly whiney parts in there, but mostly I like to elaborate on what I talk about so others can sort of see that part of me in what I draw- so they realize to a point, why I make some of the decisions I make in my drawings.

At Montreal... as I am sure I have told most, I learned so much more from Mr. Blonde and his sketchbook than from most of the rest of the workshop. I asked to see his sketchbook, and he was explaining some of it... he pointed to a sketch showing someone facing almost-sideways, but their arms were also facing parallel with the torso- and the figure had long sleeves on, with stripes wrapping around the sleeve. He said "This sketch is kinda crappy.." And I didn't think so- so I asked him "Why?" He said something to the effect of, "I really need to work on conveying form, and I just feel that it is misleading/doesn't really portray form as well as it should."

This- if you recall, brought me upon the epiphany in Late June/early July, when I realized that everything you study has to have a focus... drawing aimlessly from life will only improve you so much- as right up to montreal, I hadn't felt I had improved much... but once you realize you need to pay attention to certain parts to retain them from drawing- like, really focus- then you just start trudging uphill again, and it almost becomes a downhill battle when you realize that for the first time. Then, as you work on the individual focus points, you begin to realize certain things that help you to understand those points, certain things that help visually portray those points, etc.

Anyways, that was just an elaboration on an experience I observed, and I feel it helps some people the way Mr. Blonde helped me- "Oh, so that's why he drew x like this!" or "Well, the form definition is improving from each sketch, which is good- maybe I can absorb something from this to help me comprehend it as well!"

Ahem- back on track-

I am not trying to force a style though. I'm not trying to dictate to myself what I want- all I meant by everything I said was that I feel I really need to start doing more that makes me happy without worrying so much about what others may think of it- doing abstract stuff or strange lines or subject matters- and I need to start experimenting to find what I really do like. I'm not talking about sitting down with a pencil in a big white room and drawing til it happens- I'm just saying that I feel it's an important part of being an artist, and so I should start now. An artists' style gets better when they study, but just studying and leaving style behind I feel creates a plateau- which at this point, will seriously create the burn outs that frequent me. The outlet of trying to figure out where my style is heading (Not where I am leading it) is a great release for me, because all I have to do is observe... so "forcing myself" into a style (like I figured you or IApathy would say) defeats the purpose...

As well, "Rather than complain, work on your own work more " this is exactly what I was and have been doing recently...

I apologize for being such a dick, but I am a bit stressed. I felt crappy all day without drawing, and my parents are anxious for some reason- My stepdad asked what the CA-Atelier was called- because he thought he may have seen an ad for it. When I described to him it wasn't a college and they don't do much outside advertising, my mom gave me the "Cut it out/Marie Antionette" Signal because she didn't "like my tone"... I had no sarcasm or condescending thoughts at all, just telling him it wasn't a college or University and he probably didn't see it. As well, my Parents are trying to pressure me into a job (though they still haven't taken my bike to get fixed) and I am falling way behind on my schoolwork because I've been drawing so much. Also, at the rate my AP Art teacher is going, there is no way I am going to be able to get a portfolio ready- I am not sure if he even has a camera, and I am almost positive he doesn't have lighting euipment-

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great improvement. To dismiss the style pursuit, style is incidental to instinctual drawing (sit before something you've never drawn before and draw as you can, there is the evidence of style). When drawing a particular subject repeatedly (like me in my selfportraits) the style is pronounced in the compression of that visual memory. That compression leads to a reduction of stylistic scope ( bad on my part). Style is what distinguishes art but perhaps retards wider/technical/universal (whatever) development. So, to accomodate that, work in many media, all the time (with various subjects). I think that then, whatever style develops, will best suit your facility for expression in 2-D. Thoughts.
    Also, you shouldn't be taking AP Art. It's a distraction.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Justin, I liked reading that, I was doing similar, Just "copying" things aimlessly without actually trying to focus on something, like How the object works, or the shapes of the object, Once I started thinking about things like this and paying attention to what I was drawing and figuring out what I wanted to learn then when doing basic studies I started to learn more and keep that information in me.

Gileads book lead me here, I saw something about the blind contour drawings, I tried that before and didn't really understand how that could help me, I am glad I found that little thread you wrote talking about Observation, I'm going to try those every so often now.

Thanks man,

Joe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the blind contours is some of the more sophisticated stuff in this sketchbook, I luv them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvement since the beginning of the book!
    Don't worry about just doing studies. I know this is already a debate in this thread, so feel free to ignore this, but don't compare yourself to others, only comapre yourself to yourself. Compare yourself to yourself a year ago, or even a month ago. Did you improve as much as you wanted to? If not, why not? Just a personal view, not trying to enter the fray.
    Keep up the great work!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate reviewing for Finals week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice update justin!
    The lines are loose and expressive.
    But sometimes the values you use tend to be closer to the darks than it should be. For exemple the two guys on the bottom left of the first page are a bit too contrasted. The values are a bit too dark. THe mids are a bit too discreet.
    Anyway, keep posting !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update man, i like your pencils a lot, i little busy to draw this days and need more money to buy my scanner damnit, my old one is dead now.

keep posting

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i envy your general drawing knowledge, everything is really crisp and proportioned well...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1165187105
    is in-fucking-sane.
    maybe some master studies?

i dunno man.
    just. do what you always do.
    amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice...what improvement !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff justin, really enjoying the life sketches, line is looking good, keep posting

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blah...

Dan:
    I think that "Closer to darks" thing may have had to do with some smearing of the pencil, but I definitley see what you mean.

Enthombed: Thanks bud, good luck with the scanner!

Asoir: Hehe, thanks. I should really finish that...

Shylone:

Shinryu: Back to you bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet stuff, I really enjoy your sb. Keep postin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    I am building purely off the foundations with no ideas. It's like building a house- a carpenter can build a house, but he can't design it.
    I had to quote this too, I feel you. Your studies are good, only idea I can think of to improve your characters is to vary your reference a little more. I remember seeing some pictures of you in the ref area, and most of these poses have a resemblance to you. I figure you could base the whole of the pose on pictures of yourself, then you could add some more variety by modifying that with pictures of other people - faces and body types.
    This one's good, and several others, this guy definitely doesn't look like you http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1165262512

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin, I think you have a style. One that's in development, but I think if you have a personality you have a style. We each have our own perception of this world and that's what we express. I enjoy the way you portray figures - the poses, etc. If you're looking for a calling card type style it will come.

From my experience with music I often struggled with this question/conflict, study vs style. Oftentimes I felt that my style was strictly a result of the limitations of my skill level. I worked out an exercise based off this conundrum. I would take at least one piece of music a week, always different genres, sometimes it was music I composed myself that I didn't like. I would rework the pieces in different styles, almost forcing it at times, funk remixes of Bach can be a stretch. But I found that me shone through the pieces more and more everytime. I also learned tons, because I was studying at the same time I was expressing myself. I still do it whenever I'm in a musical rut.
    Perhaps something akin to that could work for you.

You got some excellent stuff going on here. Maybe try different references or shock your skillset by drawing things you would never draw or don't want to. Maybe industrial design, environments, cartoons, whatever.

I enjoy your forward motion :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exams are totally killing me- I've done everything I can do to relax, but I'm still so stressed and piled with review sheets I don't have any time to really settle!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

If I wasn't obligated to share these with you, I probably wouldn't =\

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I know about exams. We have ours coming up, and the prep is tiresome. x_x

Keep sharing, though! I love seeing your work; it helps me with my own.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15