Sketchbook: Justin's Sketches (update on last page) - Page 25
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin's Sketches (update on last page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That landscape's looking much better. I like the light on the left, its more dynamic and interesting this way rather than spread around evenly like earlier. One thing I notice is that the light coming through the clouds is warm, and the bulk of the light on the foreground cliffs is warm, but the light on the mountain behind seems mostly cool.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's what I worked on for most of today... Elemental Dragon for the COW, and a 'working size' detail shot.

(IT'S A WIP BY THE WAY)

Name:  Elementdragon copy.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  259.1 KB
    Name:  Elementdragondetail.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  334.7 KB

If my hand begins hurting (inbetween the fingers and the wrist.. the 'back of the hand", the carpals I guess), does that mean I'm pushing down too hard? It doesn't hurt when I'm not using the tablet, but every so often I'll just notice how much my hand aches. I think I'm just being way too heavy handed or something. Need to work on that alot!!!

Last edited by Justin.; January 21st, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SEESEESEE?! See what a little polish does? Finish the feet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, it was cool meeting you in seattle

sucks to hear that the project you were working on got canned, a solid space based mmo would have been wonderful.

the environments are looking sick, nothing else really to say about them. on the chow dragon though i think some warms and a little shift in value to define a focal area would really help this guy pop off the page. I did a little quick overlay adjustment in ps to help show what i'm trying to say even though the black got a little heavy in it. (http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...dragoncopy.jpg)
    any way it is looking awesome so far, keep at it man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome dragon! My favorite COW topic. Hope its going well for you bro! I suggest adding some grays and blacks to those clouds and the dragon! Dont know what to tell you about your problem man. Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm about 99% sure I have the most uncreative mind here =(Name:  1-22-08.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  192.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more wurk on that sketch thing.

Name:  1-19-08_2D.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  202.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool work on the enviro Justin. I can see you have really progressed quite a bit. several crits I'd like to point out: the sun shining through the clouds could use a little more harder edged rays. google some pics of sunrays coming through clouds, and you'll better see what I mean. Also be mindful of tangent edges, they can really kill a composition. The two mountins near the center on the pic almost "form" together where the sun light hits it. Some of the backgrounds mountains do that too. Also the values are very dead , everything is almost in the middle key value range making it looking very grey and washed out. Take a look at how sparth utilizes value, a lot of his stuff is almost like a silhouette, he puts really dark values next to really light values at the main points of interest. Contrast like that leads your eyes. Also, think about your color choices. Try to utilize the warm vs cool effect as much as you can. Instead of using black, opt for a dark purple,blue or red. instead of white, use a light yellow, blue, etc.. Whatever the temp of the light is, (lets say it's cool), then try to use warm shadows, and vice versa if the light is warm. This will add more color to your paintings, giving it more life. Check out hipper's site http://www.paperblue.net/ , for how he uses color. Unbelievable..

..and www.pbase.com for a lot of photo ref for studying, extremely helpful.

Hopefully that wasn't too harsh a crit. I can see a lot of potential in your stuff, you just need to now take it to that next level.
    -mitch

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Skeiff! I'll get to it tonight when I get home!

1.5 hours with some assistance from Watmough

Name:  Hillz copy.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  222.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great last enviro. Colors and lighting looks really great.
    God damn haha I hate coming in here and notice how much you develope every time. You're making me nervous man, I need to progress too.
    Anyways, great stuff, looking forward to see the continuing of the blue creature dude.
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that I know who you were I have to bug you more. ;P
    Nice environments recently. It may be too late to comment on that dragon since the cow might be over, but its looking really flat right now. Definitely try to introduce some more colors, and watch that he isnt too front-heavy anatomically.
    Nice job in LMS too!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know about you but...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1200808637

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1201069953

I think the first one looks better, its more natural, sharper... the second one, you haven't really pushed it anywhere in terms of detail and believability really, all that you have done is change it a little for the worse.

just my two cents!

btw, I am 100% sure that I am the most uncreative mind on these forums. You where only 99% sure.
    If we take these two statistics into account it is quite clear just who the most uncreative mind really is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My hand is completely killing me!! augh. need to change the pressure tracking.

Name:  Elementdragon copy.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  396.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use the softest setting possible. Make sure you have good posture too, push with the whole arm and not the forearm. poop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a great sketchbook... and your getting better... wow
    i dont know what advice i could give you because there is nothing i can say...

If you would like to help a 16 year old visit my sketchbook

Want to help a "artist" in need, visit my sketchbook

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice new stuff...dragon is really starting to pop out! I have some suggestions as you lead towards finishing it. I would looove to see some harder edges on the ground in which he stands, something to help ground him. Experiment more with your lightening shapes...try more patters and get something that adds to the flow of your image and might lead your eye back into it. The top right for example, they all feel like they arc towards each other and it doesnt flow...perhaps a more circling pattern would be nice.

Im not positive I like the thickness change in the tail as it is. The back legs done feel connect to his body, needs some more form definition and the shape of the upper portion is a little odd. The front shoulder also feels a bit too round in the front, the shadow by it pushes it away from the body quite a bit. Giving a more buldged and round shoulder area would give him some more strength instead of a more straight diagonal line down his back.

Hope you agree with at least one thing there and its not all rubbish!

Are you using photoshop or painter for your landscapes?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakers For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    although i like the overall design of the dragon,here are some things to keep in mind for the next time you draw this creature:
    posture - looks very rigid,like something put to display in a museum. make it more "animalistic",try different poses,crouching,pouncing,y'know.
    skeleton - if you ask me,the hind legs are pretty short for what i think is a predatory dragon. if you think about how the creature would actually be running,it doesn't seem very menacing,does it? from the skull design etc. i'm kindof getting a dog/hyena vibe, which could be way more pushed,f.ex. by lengthening the hind legs,giving him kindof a hunchback,maybe even lengthening the front legs abit more. the overall form should emphasise the details,not the other way round. in this case,you have a savage beast. the details say yes,but the whole form says no.
    on second look,it's more like a lion,but even that could be more pushed. look at actual predators,and approach your design with it. i believe it will help with the realism. form follows function.

them landscapes are nifty btw

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some really nice stuff in here justin. your enviros/landscapes are your best for sure.
    great job and keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup I get that feeling from time to time too, just get on with it
    and try to shake it off, cant really offer any other advise as
    I know how crappy been bored can be at times.

I like your work, its got tons of potential, don't let the bastards get ya down
    keep working, learning, and having fun

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh but the eyes! the eyes!
    seriously though,just because it's anime doesn't mean the eyes have to cover half the skull (pst,lookee)
    decide on a body shape aswell,short and sweet or long and elegant? (cause the upper body says a.,and the legs say b.)
    (hope i'm not too evil by actually critting this )

oh n btw for animals i've found that it helps to look at the skeletons and muscles (like with humans,almost self-explanatory), and even if you haven't got a zoo around,i'm sure you can find somebody who's got a dog and study that alittle. even if it's just watching him,playing around and memorizing instead of direct ref.

p.s.: moist cake sounds incredibly dirty after this last pic

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Carnifex: I totally agree, I'm suddenly seeing all these problems I have by not drawing for fun; things like dedicating to "short or elegant", I can tell in your drawings you make a concious decision about things like that. It's just showing how much more I should be drawing- thank you for the crits bro, always apprecaited.

Here is a brush test... making my own brushes. It's black and white with an overlay layer holding some super-blue and a light orange, just 1 brush. (mountains =P)

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice couple of updates, I like where you are going with that anime pron!

lol insert critique here, I dont have any.

btw the hair on that anime chick is awesome + eye brow above hair is double awesome, I love stuff like that! cheers!

edit: oh, congrats on hitting 18, when did that happen? wooo wooo 18 is a good year, not too old, not too young!... err...

Last edited by archipelago; February 2nd, 2008 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Archie, turned 18 in December

For Vyle, Joe Watmough, and Thom Tenery.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful updates! You're really getting better by the second! keep it up Justin...

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last one look really, really cool Justin, but i would have moved the background bulding a bit lower in the canvas, and around the background mountain..but excellent work on that one.
    About the elemental dragon, anatomy is a bit too "soft"...make sure you check out vilppu's animal drawing book sometimes, its really great for that kinda stuff.keep on sketching!

ciao!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The last two updates are great I really like the last one. If I had a critique on them (apart from what theGnoll already said) is that the brushstrokes in the first one are equally heavy in fore- and background, which takes away some of the depth. However, in the last one you already changed that somewhat

32. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Justin, that dragon came out really nice. Maybe you emphasized some lightning too much, since you dont know where to look at first. But the feeling is great.
    The landscapes are awesome as well. love the really fresh and bright green you got in one of them.
    great job man!

Danuh is offline best taken with a pillar of salt. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your environments are BREATHTAKING. And you're only 18, g'damn.
    Though your anime figures leave something to be desired everything else you've posted is incredible. I'll be keeping an eye on this sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gringoloco Thanks!

Gnoll Well, the reason I put the building behind the mountain was for scale. I guess it's more of a compositional problem, but putting it in front of the back mountain I just wouldn't have been able to get it nearly as massive as I was going for (I still didn't do it that well, but I did my best)

Yoitsi Yeah, actually that's just 3 strokes of my custom brush in the first one =P I need to refine it ALOT... thanks!

Pascallo Thanks! I need to practice more creatures for sure

Danuh hehe, I'll work on those eventually =P If they are lacking then all my figures are lacking.

Not gonna lie, this was an extremely fun and refreshing exercise. I'd recommend doing hard b/w for everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent.

try one out in ms paint lulz.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15