Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Wii

Thanks

Wii

Ok I think we need a new thread to talk about Nintendo's new home console.

I'm sure all of you interested know about the Wii, so let's leave out all the technical information and use this thread as a hype/discussion thread.

Today all around the US you could finally pre-order a Wii at Gamestop/EB Games stores. From the reports I've read, most places had from as little as 6 units (small shops) to 30+ (the bigger stores). It was pretty crazy, people were camping out just to pre-order!! As you can imagine, most places sold out of there pre-order stock in less than an hour after opening times. Some before the stores even opened!

Looks like the Wii is a lot more popular than first anticipated. I mean, I knew it would be popular, but camping out for a pre-order? Has that ever happened before?
    Anyway, I'm hoping that the stores unit numbers increase before launch, as do I hope that I don't have any trouble pre-ordering a Wii here in London.
    I know that GAME are doing pre-orders, but they aren't official as they haven't received their unit numbers yet. Same goes for Amazon.co.uk and a few other places.

Anyway, that's what happened today. Anyone around here manage to (or not) pre-order a Wii?

Let the Wii loving begin!

Peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    yah, people were camping out of the EBX in my neighborhood the night before just for the pre-order.

I offered the clerk $10 as a bribe to let me get my pre-order that night, but he said he'd been offered $500 for a PS3 two nights ago (which he "turned down" yeah right!). I then offered him $20.

I'll just show up at 5:00am the day it goes on sale but no way am I camping out.

Thanks
    I LIEK PS3.

Teehee

Thanks
    one word: super smash bros. brawl turns me on. alot.

Thanks
    That's more than one word but I forgive you because it included the word Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Oy, I turned up a half an hour before a store opened up. I figured, at the WORST I'd have to stand in line for a bit. But...no. Every store in town had filled their allotment 1-2 hours before opening, and by the time we jumped in the car and started calling around, even the places outside of the city were all pretty much dry. Kind of ruined my day, as it was something I was looking forward to.

'Course, having not pre-ordered a system since the 64, I hadn't really realized there would be limited pre-orders, and people camping out just to get a piece of PAPER. If I'd known this new, crazy etiquette, maybe I would've made it in time.

But, yeah, despite the lack of Mario at launch, Smash probably not arriving until the middle of next year, and a frustrating ordeal with just trying to secure a pre-order, I'm still much looking forward to it.

...Jesus, pre-orders are what you do when you want to AVOID standing outside a store at 5am.

Thanks
    Yeah it's pretty crazy.
    I heard a rumour that there will be more pre-orders available this (or next?) wednesday.
    Maybe you should go to your local EB/Gamestop and ask if they know anything.

Here's hoping the GAME in my small town (away from the center of London) will be small enough that I can pre-order with no worries.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Even though I'd like to get a Wii (for ssb mainly) Nintendo has let me down with the cube, and I see the wii being no different. The only reason I got the cube was for SSBM and the rogue squadron series. I recently hawked all my other cube games except those.

A system has to have more than 3 replayable games for me to remain interested. The xbox was good to me, and the 360 so far has been good to me also. With awesome games behind and great looking games on the horizon, I think I'll stick with my 360.

Not to say that 'omfg 360 ownz all others,' but it's just my preference, after nintendo didn't really give me what I wanted last time around

Thanks
    The fact that in the whole of Gamecube's library, you only find 3 games "replayable" is frankly shocking. I have 39 Gamecube games, and at least 10-15 that I still want to buy. I'm constanyly re-playing old games. I've recently started playing Paper Mario again.

Anyway, maybe Nintendo games aren't for you.
    I want to get a 360 after the Christmas price drop. There are a few games I wonna play.
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonfox
    The fact that in the whole of Gamecube's library, you only find 3 games "replayable" is frankly shocking. I have 39 Gamecube games, and at least 10-15 that I still want to buy. I'm constanyly re-playing old games. I've recently started playing Paper Mario again.

Anyway, maybe Nintendo games aren't for you.
    I want to get a 360 after the Christmas price drop. There are a few games I wonna play.
    It's not that I've played every gamecube game and then siad that I can only play 3 over again, it's just that I've never been really exited about a nintendo game and instantly said "im getting that". I rented and played mario sunshine and wind waker, both great games, but the replay value is next to nil. I even bought and returned metroid prime because once I beat it, it felt pointless to play again. Other than those, I never even really got excited about upcoming nintendo titles.

But I suppose nintendo isn't for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville
    Even though I'd like to get a Wii (for ssb mainly) Nintendo has let me down with the cube, and I see the wii being no different. The only reason I got the cube was for SSBM and the rogue squadron series. I recently hawked all my other cube games except those.

A system has to have more than 3 replayable games for me to remain interested. The xbox was good to me, and the 360 so far has been good to me also. With awesome games behind and great looking games on the horizon, I think I'll stick with my 360.

Not to say that 'omfg 360 ownz all others,' but it's just my preference, after nintendo didn't really give me what I wanted last time around
    As far as systems go, I'm looking more and more curiously upon the 360. But honestly, I have no faith and a good bit of distaste for MS's systems, seeing as they don't even know what the inside of a game dev studio looks like. (But plenty of cash for plunking down to make a PC that you play games on.) The majority of the success that the PS2 and Xbox enjoyed last gen is attributed, obviously, to third party developers. GC had a noticable shortage of those, which is why it was an unpopular platform for mainstream gamers. Not that I blame anyone. As far as being the weird gamer I am, my GC still only gets turned on about a third as often as my PS2, thanks to the overwhelming amount of quality third party PS2 games.

Fortunately, Wii is going to be different. Not only because of the new control scheme etc (yes, we've all heard it,) but because third party studios are already clammering to be on the system. There're countless reports of studios officially voicing how enamored they are with Wii and look forward to developing for it. So I really think the concerns about not getting enough third party games isn't something we're going to have to worry about.

Personally, I keep my faith in Nintendo high thanks to the fact that I'm relatively sure even their execs do know what the inside of a dev studio looks like, if they haven't at least been involved in multiple games early in the company's career. And, frankly, unlike Sony or Microsoft systems, when you get a Nintendo system you can feel secure in the fact that, at the very least, you WILL get some great games on the system you've purchased because, well, Nintendo...makes great games. As far as the other two giants go, it's up to companies like Squaresoft and Konami to pump out great titles for their systems, and, well...if they want to stop supporting the machine you've put $700 on...you're just a bit screwed.

Edited to sound less like a rant.
    Last edited by Snuggles; October 14th, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    No doubt for 1 second, that Wii will write history and open a new era for the videogame industry and will be one of the most successful consoles ever. Not only for Gamers, also for the mass of non-players - from kids to seniors.

I am serious.

Thanks
    I love you Fozzy, hold me
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    I get nintendo for zelda and mario, maybe some resident evil and super smash brothers and mario party (trust me, if you add beer with it on a lanparty, you get a godlike sensation).

IF the ps3 becomes affordable, like say 200-250 euro, I might get it for the final fantasy series, phantasy star online and metal gear solid.

I'm not into halo much or any other xbox serie as far as I have seen so I'm not getting any of those. Although... banjo kazooja might change that.
    Then again, the short movie looks too darn realistic for them to be my old buddies anymore :'(

But yeah, my preference goes out to wii from these 3 by far, because to this day, zelda was the ONLY game to ever make me go "Oh.. my god... I was wrong, this game.. it's godlike, simply godlike. I'm so sorry." And since then I check out every game at least once.

That's how you know they have a good production house, if they can convince even a negative person to change his way he percieves every game after that.

I'm still bloody waiting for the next zelda OOT though :/

wind waker/majora's mask were not all that what I had hoped for..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholie
    I'm still bloody waiting for the next zelda OOT though :/

wind waker/majora's mask were not all that what I had hoped for..
    Chances are Twilight Princess will please you ; ]
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Wind Waker is one of my fav. games made.

even a bad Zelda game is better than 95% of the other crap.

Thanks
    The nice thing about Wii is that is so cheap that it is still possible to buy one and still have either an Xbox 360 or a PS3...And enjoy the best things about whatever you preffer in games.

The Wii will be a much more succesfull product than the Gamecube....Sony is making to many mystakes, even with other product lines....Nintendo as this round.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    When's the EU release? I'm guessing before Yule. Ah, google tells me:
    "The price of the wii in Europe is EUR 249 / GBP 179 and is set to launch on the December 8th 2006, it will include Wii sports like the American and Australian launches."

( 249.00 EUR = 311.289 USD ) Not sure I can afford one, the 'IRS' are taking all of my earnings atm.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    I played Wii and i saw people playing it...YOU CAN'T BEAT IT!

It's like the old name of the console - it's a revolution.

Thanks
    yeah those videos on the wii site, even though they are obviously staged, they show how it works, and its going to be so much fun... we are ALL going to be like that kid from the n64 video.

my only worry is that I'm not going to be able to put it in my bedroom cause it will need more space for moving.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin
    my only worry is that I'm not going to be able to put it in my bedroom cause it will need more space for moving.
    You see, that's the problem with the understanding of the Wii in the public.
    You DON'T NEED to move like a real athlet to play the games...you CAN do it if you want because it may be more fun, but it is enough for the controller to just tilt, rotate or whatever you need to do for the game...

That's why Peter Molyneux is talking bullshit when he says, he wants to sit on his couch when playing a game and not moving and sweating like an athlete...i know that he says this because his studios were bought by Microsoft, so he wants to make NIntendo look unattractive, but he is WRONG. You even can play the Wii games with a classic looking gamepad, which is also available for the Wii and if you want to sit on your couch and have a cozy gameplay feeling you WILL have one.

That's the power of the Wii (Sony and Microsoft are aware of that and scared as hell, but they don't show it or make comments like Molyneux did) - you can play it with action or not, you can play it the way you want to, depending on what game experience you want to have or what mood you're in.

Easy, thus successful.
    Last edited by Fozzybar; October 15th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    I remember reading Molyneux first praising the Wii controller, then he gets bought out by MS and then he trashes it. So sad.

I hope the Wii opens avenues for people with disabilities to be able to play games. My mom (who had a stroke and is partially paralyzed) loves playing Brain Age on the DS, cause there's no buttons to press. Just the stylus. We are almost a month away from release and I can't wait!

I'm not going to pre-order. Nintendo's production numbers have been said to reach 4 million units shipped by the end of the year (don't 100% quote me, it's just what I think I remember reading) so I'm not worried about not getting one on launch day.

Thanks
    Rogfa, I think I read that Nintendo hae recently upped those shipment numbers from 4 million. I will go and double check before posting numbers here.
    Bascialy though, there's no way you won't be able to pick one up for Christmas.

Fozzy, you explained the controller very well. Games like Excite Truck and Zelda will require smaller movements than, say Wii Sports or Wario Ware.
    Where did you play? Liepzig?

Man, 53 days and counting for us Euro's : ]
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    That's why Peter Molyneux is talking bullshit when he says, he wants to sit on his couch when playing a game and not moving and sweating like an athlete.
    Molyneux said that? Say it isn't so! I mean, I know the quality of his games have been declining for a while now, but I still consider him one of the best. Peter, why you do this thing?

Oh, and Cartoon? I'm pretty sure what Fozzy meant about the small movements is that in any game you have the choice between large and small movements. For instance in Tennis, you can do whole backhands, or just flick your wrist in the same direction. Whichever you like. So when we get tired of jumping around like ninnies we can just sit down and motion.

Thanks
    do you know if you can use the old game cube controller ? i loved that thing, probably the best controller ever made in my opinion, i havent played the wii yet though

as cartoonfox mentioned games like wario ware seem to promote the full body aspect of it, I dont mind having it somewhere where there is more space, i just have to contend with other people for time to use it.

Thanks
    Oh man, so hyped. Too bad I wasn't able to pre-order one.

Thanks
    Yeah that sucks. I'm hoping it won't be so bad here (I live in a small town on the outskirts of London). I heard some stores aren't doing pre-orders, so maybe you can walk in on the day (early! : ]) and pick one up.

Too bad it's not online from launch, but as soon as Pokemon Wii launches in Japan, we should see online games coming. Maybe even updates for already released games via WiiConnect24. Who knows...
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonfox
    Fozzy, you explained the controller very well. Games like Excite Truck and Zelda will require smaller movements than, say Wii Sports or Wario Ware.
    Where did you play? Liepzig?
    Yeah, i played it in Leipzig...but it was not meant for the public, some strange politics from the headquarters in Japan...

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggles
    Molyneux said that? Say it isn't so! I mean, I know the quality of his games have been declining for a while now, but I still consider him one of the best. Peter, why you do this thing?
    yeah, i am also so disappointed of him...i played the original Populous, Magic Carpet etc...i loved his games and what he did for the games industry....Molyneux, Sid Meier and Will Wright were the top game designers for me....now Wright seems the only one of thinking of really new concepts and being successfull at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin
    do you know if you can use the old game cube controller ? i loved that thing, probably the best controller ever made in my opinion, i havent played the wii yet though
    Dunno, if you can use the Gamecube Controller, but the new one shouldn't be that bad also
    Wii

But you can play the Gamecube Games on the Wii as well of course...

Thanks
    A lonely super nintendo controller peered out from it's box in the basement. It seemed so many years ago that billy last played with him, pushed his buttons, threw him at his buddies when they beat him at street fighter.... Those days were long gone. Times of fun and glory were behind the poor little controller, and he knew that in just a few days he would be thrown out along with the rest of the super nintendo system.

That is, until, billy's sister left her Ipod in the recroom downstairs.

The little snes controller took notice of the sleek and stylish ipod, and forged a plan in his little plastic brain. After billy's sister left, the little controller waddled and crawled over to the Ipod in the next room. With a smooth move and a line or two, the controller began making sweet love to the Ipod. Which each cute little plastic thrust, the controller thought to himself,

"one more chance for fun..."

"... one more chance for glory"

Nine months later, the Classic Wii controller was born...

And reborn was the glory of the snes controller.

Thanks
    2 new zelda trailers

http://uk.wii.com/software/01/

Saw these this morning and it looks (and sounds) pretty amazing!!!!
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1