Art: Twobits, Game Modeling Progress. Final characters are textured, rigged, and bound.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Twobits, Game Modeling Progress. Final characters are textured, rigged, and bound.

I'm finally diving into game modeling in school. The way the course is going is we have a certain # of polygons we can use for each project, and it has to be that exact number. This is just my progress through the quarter, and I would really like some input from someone who has experience in this to help me be a little more effecient with the way I organize my polys.

I am modeling these so they can be skinned and textured. Here's the first assignment.
    Project 1: 4 Characters, 500 polys even.

400 Pound Man

Humanoid Robot

80 Year Old Lady

10 Year Old Boy (which came out like shit)

Attachment 67860

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 25th, 2006 at 05:45 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I guess my first reply would be to ask what class are you in, and then why would you be forced to make a 500 poly character? im sorry you have to do that ........fuck i just wrote out this whole long thing and then it accidently got deleted...if you want some extra help just pm me, i dont feel like writing it all out again right now.

good luck, have fun

Breeze

Last edited by Breeze; October 31st, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Forgive me, 2D Boy, but I can't remember if I've seen you around my game industry thread. If you haven't seen it yet, you may be interested in it. (The link is in my sig.)

Breeze - making 500-poly characters is good practice for anyone who wants to make games for a living. If you can capture the essence of a human form under such restrictions, and if you can have fun working under such restrictions, then you're likely to have a blast when you have 1000 or 3000 verts to work with. And every 3000-vert character goes through a 500-vert stage, anyway, so these can be thought of as the first pass of a painting where the main features of a landscape are established.

2D Boy, about the grids that your characters are made of - try to keep them tidy, as far as possible. By tidy, I mean try to string together those line segments into swooping curves that either go from one side of the character to the other, or all the way from top to bottom. Instead of thinking "clunky low-poly", think "abstracted and elegant". Points where multiple lines converge in a "*" are a warning sign that the model may light badly or bend badly there.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Seedling: Thank you. And, yes I've been to your thread on game design, and I've got a ton of information from it and even applied it to making up my mind on what I want to focus on. Which is environments, and level design. I kept what you said in mind about my organization with the edges. The zombie I think I concentrated way to much on design and detail that I started modeling very messy again.

An update. Characters are fine and dandy, but I dont find much interest in character design as much as I do environments and backgrounds. But, I do it anyway, because environments need characters to give it life, and characters need environment to give more personality to him/her/it.

I've done more than this but I'm not showing those because I'm not to proud of them.

Fireman: Limit 1000 polys. No more, no less.

Zombie: Limit 2500-3000 polys.

Scorch: Limit 2500-3000 polys.

The Zombie and scorch are for a made up game project. I can come up with any idea for a game, and I had to create a good and bad guy.

I'll be posting the concept sketches bellow this post if anyone is interested.

Thanks
    Just some concepts I went through for some of the previous models.

Thanks
    Alright. Here's the final gathering. The last 2 characters are finally textured, rigged, bound, and animated. The animation renders I'm going to redo, because the originals did not come out the way I wanted.

The texture resolution was horrible, and it was my first time so my UV layout was not very effecient. I did what I could with it. So to sum everything up

each character is about 3000 polys, textured with 1024x1024 uv layout, rendered with mental ray, and each movement was animated under 30 frames and cycled then brought into trax editor and compiled.

The names. Hero= "The Cleaner" Nemesis= A type "F" zombie (lowest of the low) nicknamed a "windowlicker"

Last edited by 2b BOY; December 25th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks
    that last pic of the zombie with the tounge rocks. good work man

Thanks
    nice low polys

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.