Sketchbook: thread closed - Page 9
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: thread closed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    shit dude, killa stuff. I mean killa stuff.
    you crazy beast.
    Happy new year man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your stuff has such a strangely strong appeal, I keep thinking to myself what's the magic ingredient

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I'm trying to make some crit in every Sketchbook, something that will maybe help. Now.. your sketchbook, however, is supertough to crit, because you got it all going.
    I was think these last studies looked a bit empty though, maybe make some notes (even though I know you probably make mind-notes heh ) of how muscles work and what not. Allso I think you tend to hang up on midtones from times. A tip is to use softer pencils for darker areas. I resently tried this and it works like a charm. ,) I know these are just small sketches and you know this when working on longer projects, but try it out. =)
    but oh, I so agree with kinnas though, lovely work, great shapes!
    tiger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dennis (lol): Thanks for the nice comment. I must spend between 2 and 3 hours maximum to do a "fully" rendered page..... i miss those pages. Gotta do some asap. And don't worry about replying and stuff, do whatever you want !!

Brendan: haha, me too bro

Kronos: thanks for the crit. I'm often botching up the part that aren't concerned about the study...bad me. Gotta stay concentrated ! Thanks !!

Alex: hey man! Thanks for the comment monsieur. All those hands studies are getting them more and more easy to handle. But i'm still gonna do some. You're right about the values, i kept in mind all of his advices in a small book and i often get back and read them when i forget. But Sometimes it's a bit hard to apply those rules but hehe, that's life ^^.
    About hogarth, yeah i'm getting more seriously about it. I like his approach of anatomy. Now that i see a bit clearer the overall human body (thank to loomis) i can give more interesting lines with his way of drawing. First i'm just copying what i'm seeing, then i'll redo it from my head =). thanks !!

Jason: yeah, the book is kindof special at first, but i'm getting more and more used to his way of working. The main thing i'm missing in this book is a bone chapter. There are only muscles and shapes, but no real description of the inner body. I guess some Loomis studies are essential before starting with hogarth. Bridgman seems also interesting, i'll try to get one of his books.
    And don't worry i'm not gonna completely leave my way of drawing figures for his, i'm just trying to complete some areas that i still have to work on (dynamism and such) =)
    Thanks !!

Stalsby: thanks !

Oma: hehe, he is, but imo you should really learn bones and inner body structure before starting with Hogarth..there isn't anything about it in his book.

Mickey: hey ! Thanks ! yeah, ocing was nice. I'm on vacation so we should normally be able to do another session somewhere this month.

Maxetormer: thank you monsieur. tengo que trabajar in muchas partes del cuerpo humano (la cara incluida ). Las piernas son tambien una cose que yo evite demasiado. Entonces, me voy a practicar mas y mas =) (did i even got this right ?... lol i'm still learning spanish..Since my dad wants me to speak spanish with him). Thanks anyway !!

Justin:

kinnas: hey kinnas! you're doing some really nice stuff in your sb. hummm the secret ingredient...maybe how i see things that surround me ?...imo everyone is capable of doing what i'm doing. You just need to live where i live and live my life. You'll see that everything that i'm drawing is soo obvious. But since nobody shares the same life someone else lives, we're never gonna share the same visions and approaches. Thanks for dropping by !

Tiger: lol thanks for the crit. I got what you mean about mid tones. i did a tiny shot of what might happen with darker areas. Let me know what you think. About the notes... well, i'm still learing things, so i haven't guessed out everthing yet, but i'll try when i can to put some a bit everywhere =)

So i finally decided to settle down in front of the comp to lay down some colors. It's still a WIP, got plenty of things to work on... and gosh it takes soooo much time to blend colors.
    And some hogarth studies. I promise once i'm done, or at least i'll have a better knowledge of the body i'll do some more finished stuff.
    But until then, enjoy mesdames, mesdemoiselles et messieurs ! =)

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ah yeah , you are right, your digitals suck, and gosh, your pencil shadeing is just... you know...terrible right ???

ah man, I already know that you dont belive that I mean what I said
    Dude, awesome studies, the girl however, looks a little flat on her right side, check that and get some more values in there. The anatomy once looks very nice, thanks for the links and the stuff you send me! I will study =) nice dynamism , keep it up , and yes, please keep update with more rendered pages.

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice feeling of value and anatomy.
    looks good i want to see more of them.

on that digital painting... the shadows are very transparent.
    don't use this white bg, you won't get the colours right...

keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the new Hogarth studies look so much more cool compared to the other. loce the contrasts. I actually learned something myself by watching the diffrence. thanks a lot mate
    Keep posting, btw it'll be awesome seing the improvments on colors you will make as time passes.
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, awsome drawings. wish i had some crits to give but right now i cant think of anything, good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dan. Great stuff, and good that your starting with colours. I'm not too knowledgeable about in-depth colour stuff. When I paint I just paint how I would with real paint...I don't really take advantage of all these different modes etc.

I'm doing another portrait now and saving process stuff so you can see, like you wanted. I can see with your colour study that you were using quite small brushes. But dude your progress will be fast trust me!

Love the hogarth stuff too Dan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hogarth is looking great!
    As for the digitals, don't be afraid to crack out a soft edge brush. The tools are there, use them. You can also use, or at least I think it was, Shift+{ and Shift+} to change the hardness of a brush. Bump that brush size up a tad too.
    Keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice hogarths...

as for colour though. the one you just did really only has one colour added to it... if you know what i mean, there is no hue or saturation variation which makes it look quite lifeless. also when your painting in colour you can't just add black to make something darker, or you will end up with something that will be washed out and look like it was a grayscale painting with a flat wash of colour overtop.

its kinda annoying because once you've learned how to control value you realize that there are two more things that you have to learn about just like value, that you have to use all together... meaning saturation and hue.... i didn't say that very well but hopefully you can figure it out

i'm no genius at colour AT ALL! i'm probably just one or two steps ahead of you but i did a quick paint over trying to show you what i mean....

i lost the sense of value you had a bit, but again hopefully you get what i mean.

also yeah, like a few people have said already, for blending don't be affair of using a softer edge brush (cup of joe said the shortcuts already, unfortunately it only works with the standard circle brushes but its still really useful) but if you do use a soft edge brush make sure you still keep crisp edges as well, don't let the brush you use dictate the way your painting comes out. and yeah use a REALLY big brush! its WAY faster, it might feel clumsy at first but you get used to it.... a little different from a mechanical pencil

ok, one more thing, heres a link to an awesome persons website http://www.furiae.com/ click gallery, then tutorials, then thoughts on skintones for a really cool "tutorial" type thing (its not really) on skin tones and a recommended pellet.

keep going man, you'll get there in no time!

Last edited by Kronos; January 3rd, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
    - book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Daniel, great the last pencils and the maga color.

Keep posting more pencils please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at those studies mate, they will eventually pay off - also, hue, saturation and value are very important, make sure you try to ask yourself about them once a day, pick things you see all around you apart, see something outside, try to figure out its hsv, but also, try to understand that what the human eye sees is impossible to reproduce with pigment or on-screen color, we have but a limited gamut to work with to reproduce something.

Make sure rather than trying to get an exact hsv value of something, understand the shapes and colors that make up an image and their relation to each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo brutharr

you hate yourself too?? join the club man

Kronos and Magic Man have some good points but don't sweat it: you'll get these things sooner than you may think. Like MM said, just keep thinking about colour.

Also Kronos, muchas gracias for posting that link, I can already see it's going to help me insanely with skin tones and other stuff. Very good tuts there.

cya round dude!
    ciao!

- d.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still kikkin it ic, keep i' up u no?? pce out1!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dennis: thanks alot for the support !

haxxxor: thanks !! .. but i don't really see what you mean by transparent...you mean the grey shadows at the top of the pic ?.. if so, don't worry, i don't think i'm gonna touch that area....at least for the moment =)

Tiger: thanks bro. You're doing some solid stuff in your sb, keep posting too !!

Themissinglink: thanks ! Train your eye and you'll see lots of issues in my pics =)

Jake: hey ! thanks again for posting those steps. Reminded me to stop worrying and just do it. I think i'm getting more and more rid of small brushes...they take too much time. Thanks for the nice comment

Cup: thanks alot for the suggestion about smoother brushes. That definatly helped. Now i just need some practice. thanks alot my friend!

Kronos: wow. those colours are way better than the ones i did. Thanks for the overpaint.
    But right now there's one big thing that bothering me: when and how do i add different pigments to the skin ?.... i know that hemoglobine add the red color, the blue might come from the artery (?).. but i really don't see the green and all the other colors. I read jason manley saying that the human skin has all the different colours... but i don't really understand where and when to use them. So on that update i only added the red...but got stuck when i wanted to add the other colors... i'm gonna take a look at that link.
    I did understood the color saturation coming with the shape going towards the darks also... but i completly forgot it while coloring .. lol... need more practice !!!
    Thanks for the crit monsieur !!

Enthombed: hey! thanks ! i'll try to do some pencils when i'll be "done" with colors =)...normally somewhere this week i should have some nice and clean.

magic man: This whole new way of observation got me all crazy at first, but i'm getting more and more interested at seeing all those objects getting some many varations in saturation and value. I still have some much to observate and analyse. I think i nailed values and saturation, now i need more time for hue. Thanks !!

brendan: hehe... i'm gonna be honest though, the hate i'm feeling about myself is only the top of the iceberg.... but i don't think i should talk about it....and no i'm not a sado-masochist or a goth....lol
    Thanks alot for the support though ! We should try to organise another oc session, it was fun =)

Justin: lol yeah i'm trying....haha

So, i went a bit further with that study. Added some smoother surface and more saturation. Crits ? Suggestions ?
    And no, no pencils for the moment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    things are looking good.
    to help you with your color... its seems like you smoothed things out too much. I think some harder shadows might help. Also try to keep in mind that a shodow doesn't just have a different brightness than a highlight, it has a different color too. a shadow might be more red or blue and a highlight might have more yellow in it for example. and I think you could afford to go darker (like your drawings). this contrast will help highlights make more sence since you cant possibly hit the the values that exist in nature. that kinda sums up what I learned about color recently. I hope it helps. And if you already know this stuff just don't listen to me. sorry. Great stuff.

Last edited by SantaClaus; January 4th, 2007 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man it looks so much better now, nice colouring coming through!

I have one crit! Right now it appears too flat. This is because the brightest value is on the right side and the darkest is on the right. You can easily fix this my dropping just a slight shadow on the right (her left) along her side. This will make the skin look a tad glossier and make it read round. Also don't forget about reflected light. It doesn't look too necessary here, but it can work wonders for giving form!

Also other colours will only appear with relation to each other. Some parts will appear more "green" than others, but as you know when you pick them off the canvas they will in fact not be green. Just work these colours in initially as you start to help you sort out the lights and darks. Adding them this late has always been impossible for me, but if you work them in right at the start it's much easier as they evolve more naturally with the painting. Well, that's my 2c.... hope it helps bro, really excited to see what you'll be able to pull of with your digis!

ciao!

- d.

But the colours look great.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Santaclaus: thanks alot the advices. saturation isn't really a problem, but the colours you pointed (blue, red and yellow) are the parts a bit unclear to me. But kronos's link help understand it. Thanks !

Brendan: Thanks for the directions. Actually i added the red in a different layer then played with the layer's opacity... it's a bit too easy to work this way, but i'll manage to control different colour once i'll know where to put them. Thanks alot !!

Rodrigo: yo monsieur ! Thanks for the encouragement

For today, just some hogarth fun.
    Haven't touched the tablet yet, but i'll leave the last one i did for later and start an sp. I should've started it today... but got a bit........ lazy... ;=>
    So i'll have it done for the next update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much better with the digi man. And damn your anatomy and bodies are rockin' as usual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice butts man

and the bottom one on the second page looks REALLY nice.... perhaps the hips are the tiniest bit thin??? but that structure just looks so convincing and 3d.... its wonderful just to look at

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've inspired me to do more studies, thanks man.
    /t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man... For the digital paint.. When Painting I would suggest laying down a back round color first unless your painting black and white first to knock your values out first then coloring but if your going straight into color then put down a backround color it's going to affect the whole painting What Seems to work good for me is working from back to front then you can look at the whole instead of just a one bit... skin tone variation baby, Quick over paint...

Last edited by seth1; December 16th, 2007 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bro, this book is great.. i buy this book too.. damnit this solve a lot of question who i have.

keep posting more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep missing your books man, first ya change your name, then your book, i cant keep up!

Missed out on a lot, but youve been pumpin em out like mad! Getting tighter by the day, good to see studies and even colour now alongside your crazyass compositions. I still think you oughta try more narratives now and then, but damn if i cant resist the pretty pencil goodness. Nothing but asspats (and a new subscription) from me!

PS: The new Teen TDome Challenge is pencil only, come teach a thing or two! (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86442)

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shit man third time I type such a bloody ling post and shit happens and evreything gets deleted .......fuck........... I am pissed at this . but I guess you are doing great really good man , dont be afraid to experiment with colors and tones. go crazy. I am posting this before it gets deleted again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, I can really see a huge improvement over the last sb. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jake: hehe thanks !!

Kronos: thank you. I get alot of fun while studying hogarth and i'm very happy that so simple studies could get so convincing. Thanks for the comment !

tiger: glad i'm inspiring someone else. Keep working !!

Seth: hey ! Thanks for the directions. I have a tendency to start with a greyscale background and then start adding colors. I'll try different approaches once i'll understand more colors. Thanks again !

Enthombed: indeed it helps alot. But still has some undiscussed areas like bones (like i mentionned in my previous post =) ). thanks for the encouragement !!

Yo Nikola! man i completly forgot to check out your book too...it's thumbnail kept on tickling my eye but i never thought of seeing what you've been up to.
    So, more narrative stuff heh ?.. alright, my first one will be for the T-Dome then =).... and since you've mentionned it, i realise that i've only done one. I should definatly do some more. Thanks alot !!
    I'll leave a comment in your book asap

nunu: alo ! lol your computer really hates you =).
    Thanks for the nice comment. i'll try some crazy colours after i'm done with my sp. Thanks !!!

Am7: thank you. I checked your blog and i like what you're doing. The city especially.

.. so, i didn't get the chance to stay on the computer today, but hopefully tomorrow will not be the same.
    I changed the furniture in my room and had to clean all the dust and dirt under my desk and bed
    here are some more hogarth stuff and a rather quick life drawing. It's a Gouache tube... yeah i have all the different colors, some brushes... but no canvas
    I'm going to bed now... 4:07 am here

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20