LCD Monitors???

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: LCD Monitors???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

LCD Monitors???

I'm tired of the bulky, desktop consuming CRT that I've been using. I switched back to CRT from an older SyncMaster LCD last year because I couldn't calibrate it well enough for work that was going to print. I know that the technology and price of LCDs has improved, so I'm looking for an LCD again in the 23" to 30" inch wide screen range.

I'm thinking Apple Cinema (I'm running a decent PC but planning to make the switch to Mac), but believe it or not I've heard some pretty bad things from illustrators and digital artists whom I respect. What are the other options for apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter, etc? Something that can be properly calibrated. I'm NOT a gamer, so I'm not concerned with that sort of thing, although I would like something that I can also play DVDs on.

Has anyone got real world experience with the Eizo LCDs or anything similar?
    http://www.eizo.com/

Do we really have to pay this kind of doe for a monitor to get a good print/web graphics monitor?

"Stickin feathers up yer butt does not make you a chicken!" -Tyler Durden

Come by Sendak's Playground to check out some of my sketches!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Sendak...but believe it or not I've heard some pretty bad things from illustrators and digital artists whom I respect..."

What bad things did you here?

I'm on the fence about switching back to the Mac myself.

DC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know someone that has an Apple Cinema 30" that has flickering green pixels in any dark black area on the screen. I've never heard that from anyone else though. He said that Apple wouldn't back up the product "on a technicality". He never elaborated. But thats an issue for sure.

Otherwise, I've only heard bad things about the mounting, lack of hieght adjustment and the short warrenty. You have to buy a seperate VESA compatible mount if you you want to mount it on an arm which you have to do if you want hieght adjustment. seems like another way to milk more money out of you. And as to the warrenty, there is only a 1 year warrenty, or pay a few hundred more for the Apple Care which is definitely yet another way to milk more money out of you. All this adds up while other brands have that stuff as standard.

Of course that is only if you are comparing to other 22 and 24" models. I haven't found ANYTHING that could compare to the 30". I've heard way too much negative feedback about the Dell 30". The thing that tore it on the Dell was that I found several reviews that said that the color consistancy sucks. Meaning that if you are looking at a document on one side of the screen it looks one way, but then drag it to the other side of the screen and the color changes. That is unacceptable. So the Apple 30" seems to be in a class by itself...if you get one that isn't defective like the one mentioned above. Somehow I'm willing to bet that his problem is a one in a million defect though.

Anyone else?

Last edited by Sendak; October 13th, 2006 at 02:03 PM.
    "Stickin feathers up yer butt does not make you a chicken!" -Tyler Durden

Come by Sendak's Playground to check out some of my sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im sorry if im derailing your thread, but Im also looking for better LCD monitor with more accurate colour, though a 17" at a price that a poor student could afford.

I live on an Island in the middle of the Baltic sea so I cant really go test monitors at a store without a 3½h ferry ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.