My artwork was taken and used, but...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My artwork was taken and used, but...

Hey guys some guy i don't know took my artwork for his website, and he wants to use it on dvds for a skateboard movie. The thing is, he wrote me an email after he had it on his website, asking if he could use it, and if not he will remove it, also he asked for the full uncompressed file, if i said he could use it.

Im not sure if i should just say yes he can use it, or say no, or charge him to use it. The video looks alright, im a skateboarder myself so i can tell the video has some potential, but im still not sure what to do.

This was the site he used it on, and a tralier for the video is on there too http://www.shiftyproductions.com/

~JB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
I belive theres no reason to fuck with them by charge them for useing your stuff, at least he asks, and he says they take it away if you dont think its cool?
I think theres nothing to fight about, let em use it, or just say no, they are not allowed to use it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Either ask for money, or ask for them to put up a link to your website, or do some other bit of publicity for you. Don't let them use the art for free, because they need to learn that using first and asking later isn't kosher.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing wrong with free publicity. I wouldn't bill them for it , as they actually asked your permission to use it, (despite posting the picture before your reply). No harm done. Do as Seedling suggests as well, get them to post a link to your website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I would charge them a pretty small usage fee if they are going to use it for their video, or a well visible link to your site in the Credits or something. But as for what they've done, no real harm I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Either ask for money, or ask for them to put up a link to your website, or do some other bit of publicity for you. Don't let them use the art for free, because they need to learn that using first and asking later isn't kosher.
    agreed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe this be one of those instances where it'd be good to send them an invoice for a work, but at a 100% discount, so they see what something like this would normally cost in case they choose to hire you at a later time...

-Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with seedline, they need to learn it's not cool to just take something that doesn't belong to them and use it without permission.
    (that's called stealing) :0

i'd say charge them a small fee and let them use it, but not until they've paid.
    this kind of thing can't be tolerated by anyone in this industry, cause it can harm us all.

if i spend a ton of hours on something, and it gets used without my being compensated, i'd be rather pissed.

if you used their video and claimed it was your creation, and sold it for your profit, they'd probably be pissed too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice video, though i agree that they should give credits for the stuff theyre using. the music is by VAST for instance, and they dont mention that anywhere either. hes got some nice graphic design and editing though, and his camera work is clean. id say this is worth having your stuff in for promo purposes, as long as he gives you due credit.

i didnt see any artwork anywhere though, where is it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Layil

i didnt see any artwork anywhere though, where is it?
    Is the photo with the bloody skateboard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the discounted invoice, you can also ask for a handful of dvd's. You can keep one to show off and the others might make nice presents if you have skater friends (and good promo for them, they shouldn't argue too much)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your input guys, he has now told me he is a 1 man production, he is in college, and he isn't going to sell the dvd, just give it out around town. And show it on the internet... Is that even good publicity for me... Should i just say no.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd pretty much go along with everybody here, because this kid sounds young and stupid, BUT...

Whatever you decide, politely and diplomatically state in the first paragraph of your letter to him that it is NOT proper under any circumstances to use someone's art without ASKING FIRST, not afterwards. If he's trying to be a professional, he should learn how one acts first...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you don't have anything to lose by letting him use it, especially if you don't object to the product (as you said you're a skateboarder yourself). If it costs you no work and he's not even selling them, why be a dick about it? You never know, it might end up in the hands of somebody who would want to comission something from you. I say get credit printed on it and ask for some free copies or something, but I don't see any reason to turn down some free exposure, even if it is limited.

And who knows, maybe it'll be more popular than expected and you'll get your work seen by people who wouldn't have access otherwise.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to add to what DavePalumbo wrote. Exposure is good as long as the quality of your work shows. If he photoshop-filter-rapes your work or does something that doesn't fit your standard then getting money can be better than a link or exposure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word up to the publicity, but I do think you have every right to be a dick about it. It really comes down to what you think fair compensation should be, like free copies or what not, but don't let it get out without your name being somewhere on it. The publicity's no good if your name isn't on it.
    I'm all about doing some gratis artwork if the situation is right, but someone using first and asking second is kinda heinous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry i sort of lost track of this thread, i have been busy.

Thanks to all of you who responded. Below is what i wrote in my email.

Ok, here is the scoop.

First of all i am not too keen on you taking my work first and then asking me secondly. Not meaning to be rude or anything, but, in the future either my work or any other artists make sure you ask them before taking their work. Don't ask after you have taken it. Doing what you did is not professional and disrespectful to the entire art community.

Anyways, I will allow you to use the piece, as long as i get credit for it in a well viewable place on the website and on the dvd's. A link to my website as well as my name. Not just my signature how it is already. I would also appreciate it if i could have a few copies of the dvd as i am a skateboarder myself and then i can hand a couple out to my friends as well for allowing you to use the piece. If this is too much to ask, then i am sorry but i will have to ask you to remove the piece from your website and not use it in your DVD'S.

Thank you,

Justin Beckett
    www.conception-studio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nicely put. This probably the best solution for both of you.

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I have learned recently reading a stock photographer's website is that it's normal in advertising to grab a picture, make a mock up of the product, show it to the customer and then negociate the licensing. It does not involve putting the product on the web before the licensing is done however. The product has to be licensed before it is published. It is useful to show the artist/photographer that you will use good taste in using their image and in getting the customer to shed the cash to license the image (and you don't buy the rights to an image just to discover that it doesn't fit) so don't be suprised if someone shows you a product with your image on it, as long as it wasn't published, it's considered fair use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you will alos notice that stock Photo site images are usually low res and often watermarked.....so that if you use said image in a mock up it is obvious.
    most ad agencies had huge librarys of stock images already licensed and paid for. It's different with original artwork.
    (I used to work in print advertising)

Iustin..Id say "Well Handled" smacked him and then cu him a break. I would be very curious to hear his response and how it all turns out

chaosrock

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinBeckett
    Ok, here is the scoop. . .
    That's a good letter! Best of luck in getting this solved amicably.

One suggestion: in future letters of a professional nature, make sure to capitalize properly. Improper grammar, even when done deliberately, is going to work against the image of professionalism that you are trying to convey.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    Personally, I would charge them a pretty small usage fee if they are going to use it for their video, or a well visible link to your site in the Credits or something. But as for what they've done, no real harm I guess.
    I agree. The fact that he asked is good, but I think he should've asked first before usinf ANYTHING. I guess it's a good idead to use watermark on our illustration we post online. Although in here everyone have been cool about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well thanks to everyone, but i guess after the email i wrote to him, he decided not to use it, and he took it down with out any complaints, but now he has a new piece up there. And in my thoughts, its probably by some other artist... I guess he never wanted to give me credit...

~JB

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.