C.O.W. - #064: No Legs, No Wings, Incredibly Fast

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #064: No Legs, No Wings, Incredibly Fast

Round #064

Topic:
    No Legs, No Wings, Incredibly Fast

Deadline:
    Thursday, 19th October 2006

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx to aspira for the topic idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very interesting parameters to work with there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bet flying or swimming serpentine creatures are an obvious choice... sometimes obvious can be cool to, right? Right!

Last edited by dragon4lunch; October 11th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tingifissi
    Piscis Piscis Puteo Celer

The Tingifissi is a creature that is very rarely seen. Very little is known about this beautiful yet mysterious sea animal. It is believed that it is one of the fastest creatures in the sea, though there are no definitive records to prove it. Marine biologists suspect that the Tingifissi uses an almost jet like propulsion system to achieve these high speeds. They also believe the creature uses it's huge dorsal fin mostly for stabilizing purposes. The Tingifissi's habitat is near the carribean, and it is believed the creature has a preference for clear water. On very rare occasions the Tingifissi are spotted skidding across the water, chasing eachother at breakneck speeds. From a distance they are often confused with jetski's. The world is waiting until one of this magnificient beasts can be more thoroughly studied.

Last edited by Supervlieg; October 19th, 2006 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SV: Beat me again. You know, I hope you were kidding about the burn tool in the other thread. I may have to use the burn tool exclusively for this round if not...

legless, wingless, and fast. More leviathans....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hope i can finish it this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Not Quite Finalized

It's not done yet though. Arrrrgh!

In 1537, a young monk named Zhang Feng went on sabbatical in a remote Chinese mountain range. On his third day there, the thought he spotted a creature gliding amongst the mountain tops without the help of wings. Confused at what he saw, Zhang returned to his meditation to clear his mind. But when he opened his eyes again, the strange beast was still there! Upon returning to his monastary, he told everyone of the encounter. Laughed at and critisized for making up stories of dragons he was eventually forced out of the temple and lived the rest of his days in exile. The story of this animal was never spoken again.
    But in the 1980's a group of explorers on an expedition deep into the same mountains rediscovered this strange gliding creature. Due to its docile demeanor, they managed to capture one quite easily for testing. A quick visual inspection revealed the strange underside of this animal. Covered with fleshy nodules, each with a small iron pellet, its function eluded them until they brought it to the laborotory. As scientists examined its physiology, they discovered that it could carry an electrical charge and had the ability to control each charge to induvidual iron pellets. It was noted that the beast was able to levitate over any object that contained enough iron ore. The metre long creature appeared to use these mag-lev abilities to glide over the iron rich mountaintops! By calculating its size and amount of magnetic charge it could produce, they theorized that the animal could reach speads of 150km/h with ease though it has yet to be documented. While trying to come up with a name, they came across an old tale about a monk who went up to live in the mountains with the dragons, and it was decided to name it Zhang's Dragon in his memory.

Last edited by ScaryPotato; October 20th, 2006 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, umm.. im new here, and i'd like to participate in COW, i've bin lurking CA for quite a while, and this is my first post, so don't hack my balls off please
    description coming
    update

Last edited by RedLever; October 12th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA, RedLever! Nice picture you have there. Some crits: I don't like how the water is lighter on either edge of the picture. The dirt floor needs some texture. The whole thing has a faintly fuzzy feel to it. Just polish it up a bit and you'll be fine.
    I'm pretty sure I left you with your balls...

Anyway, the idea that's in my head is a large outer space creature that ejects chemicals for propulsion. A living rocket, if you will. Or maybe I'll take the week off. Yeah, right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shhhiiiii.... I'm so hungry this round that the restrictions of the topic makes me wanna... (Oh, let's make a fancy speed-worm...dah!)

Does the word legs include arms in any way, in english? And what is the difference? Some species seem to use their arms for walking... Does having arms mean that you also have at least a pair of legs? Does a hand mean that the limb automatically is an arm? What about tentacles ending in feet? If you always walk on your hands, how long does the arms remain arms?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...just how powerful a fart can be generated before something explodes from internal stress...?

...research...research...research...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    ...just how powerful a fart can be generated before something explodes from internal stress...?

...research...research...research...
    rofl

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This week I'm taking inspiration from Wayne Barlowe's illustration of the Polarian in his Guide to Extraterrestrials. At least in terms of the creature growing its own locomotion like a snail grows a shell. The biology is different. And actually, I think mine will be a mammal again. Like a sewer rat. It will have muscle, and not be so sluglike as the Polarian. It uses, well, its own waste and secretions to make its ball.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael Jaecks! That is a SWEET concept. I can't wait to see the final render. I hope you don't sway too much from that idea, because I really like it. I've been inspired to do an entry this week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is most likely finnished unless i get some time tomorrow.

Incendia Voro
    When astronauts landed on a perviously unknown moon of the planet Mercury what they found astounded them. An oxygen rich atmostsphere supported a wide range of creatures even in the killer heat from the sun and the large amount of volcanic activity on the moon. None of these creatures however were quite as suprising as the these two.
    Swimming in super heated flows of lava the 'fire fish' so named by the astronaut who first obseved them swimming and leaping out of the lava at speeds in excess of 70mph. It was awhile before they realised that the large formation of rocks near the flow was indeed alive. For it had no obvious extremities and stayed perfectly still until one of the 'fire fish' touched its massive jaws. When this happened it slammed them shut with lightening speed resulting in a shower of spark-like scales. This creature was later referred too as Incendia Voro or Fire Eater by the scientists back on Earth.

Last edited by kovah; October 18th, 2006 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crap.. this really got me,
    today at work i made my gf visit conceptart and have her read all the crits on my pic and tell me what the new topic was so i could start thinking AHHH

COW I HATE U... or not.. okey okey i admit its true love

nice topic btw.. about the arms.. i hope i can use m cause i already did

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I just realized the creature doesn't have to move itself fast. It could be fast in many ways... like a chameleon for example, which moves its tounge incredibly fast, but walks ever so slowly.... Or it could perhaps drool extremely fast... or sleep quickly... or maybe it could solve mathematical problems with awesome speed. The "no legs"-thing is still a bit boring though... I have done so few of those since I began cow-ing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow got my first wip already probably the only one untill the finished or i could go completly the other way

Last edited by Joey-b; October 12th, 2006 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moai- thanks for the crit, i fixed the floor, the water and the fuzzyness thanks

MJ- looks awesome, can't wait to see it finished

Joey- very interesting concept, but what happens when it falls to the ground?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats what the big belly's for (ill make it larger, thx good crit)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MJ:Very cool sketches!

Kovah: Lava gets darker as it dries and hardens. Which means use black where it is dry, red around those black parts, orange around the reds, yellows around the orange - a very natural scale of colours flagrantly used by the Creator in everything from the rainbow, to butterfly wing-patterns, to reptile tails, to the sky in sunset, to the changing leaves in autumn etc. (and to hot steel, fire and lava of course)

Joey: For some reason all your creatures seem small. Even your gigantic ice-berg devourer looked relatively small for some reason... I'd like you to think about that for a moment... (and I will contemplate my own way of painting...I promise)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm cloister, weird crit,.. but true... havent got a clue what to do about it.. anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Joey, it's ok to always make small creatures in the same way I think Tyranx usually makes large scale creatures and I usually go for the light-hearted creatures. Make whatever you want, it's never wrong

What I'd suggest you did is ditch any sort of "limbs" that resemble legs or fins.... and arms fall under that category i think because any creature that only had arms would learn to run on them and we'd call them legs. Anyway, try playing around with making something that looks as if it exists in some sort of believable "nature" and that will challenge you. Right now he feels a bit "Pokemon" without any sort of evolution to his species and why he has the abilities that he does. Have they thrived for thousands of years by climbing into trees and catching birds out of the sky?

(This is just a brainstorming suggestion, make whatever you want it's never wrong but it might be less appealing to others and that's ok)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    old one http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/b-yeoj/wip1.jpg

tried mulitple designs, digged this one.. nevermind the border and stuff just tryin to create a layout
    better design this way? ow and it doesnt land.. it stays in the tree's
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/b-yeoj/wip2.jpg

stephan u posted this while i was posting my new one haha
    thx great crit.. i think this one is better already, i lost the hands so and its less pokemon-ish
    or still no good?

new one, scroll down 2 c

Last edited by Joey-b; October 13th, 2006 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the nice comments guys, and many thanks again to Chuck Wadey and his ultra helpful tutorial...

Cthonisaurs

Cthonisaurs are beasts that guard the edge of the underworld. Having no legs or wings, they fashion large sphere shaped wheels from earth, dead vegetation, animal remains and their own waste. Combined with catalyzing secretions from their fleshy, shaggy bodies, the mixture forms a hardened shell tough enough to travel over the most inhospitable terrain. Hundreds of powerful micro-muscles along their slug-like abdomens drive and steer their wheel at tremendous speeds. It is thought the Cthonisaurs orginate from the river Styx itself, finding life on land, even in the land of the dead, more agreeable than in those foul waters. Some scholars say the Cthonisaurs torment Sisyphus, the legendary inhabitant of Hades condemned to push a rock up a hill, never succeeding. Cthonisaurs race each other up and down his hill with ease, chiding him with their wraith like screams

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; October 20th, 2006 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai
    Anyway, the idea that's in my head is a large outer space creature that ejects chemicals for propulsion. A living rocket, if you will. Or maybe I'll take the week off. Yeah, right.
    I just wanted to say upfront i have a similar idea, and I don't want anyone to think I'm copying your idea. So, that said...I'll have some art in a few days!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting idea, MJ. I keep picturing those marble balls that rotate on water, or in fountains.... but a really slimy version. heheh

Just one process-related crit before you get too far. If you're using Chuck's method it might be worth starting with the whole piece in midtones. Your sketch already has a lot of contrast with black and white linework, which should be built up as the painting progresses (once again assuming you're using Chuck's tutorial for guidance).

Also, it's always worth referencing an environment for basic colour/lighting guidance. I have trouble with environments, but googling can be pretty helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was not really meant as critique Joey. Just something I noticed, which you might want to think about. Someone utter the words "Cloister always goes for the massive..." recently. I have no idea what he meant but it made me reflect upon my entries in a constructive way.
    Anyway, I didn't point to the actual size of the creatures, but how big they looked. You can get a mosquito to look pretty large and intimidating with the right use of "zoom", angles, difference in colours, contrasts, fades, blurs etc.
    You are quite a skilled renderer, and I like many your paintings. I just wanted to point out that common trait in your entries so far... (helpful, confusing or irritating - up to you!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloister - all 3 of ur choices thx man
    ow and LOVE ur idea, so cool

Last edited by Joey-b; October 14th, 2006 at 05:51 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.