Art: Minis Galore

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Minis Galore

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Minis Galore

Hey,

I never got too heavy into sculpting until like a week ago. I am not that skilled with clay and I'm a semester or two off until I can take my first sculpting class, so I'm going to make this thread to throw all my miniature sculpts into... track my progress so to speak.

I'm not sure but I think I sculpt at 1/48 scale (Whatever size Warhammer 40k minis are considered). I sculpt with 2-part Epoxy putty called "green stuff" over an armature of varying wire gauges, and sometimes I use the white putty for filling gaps.

Many times sculptures in 40k are conversions, or things that do not come box standard coupled with some detailing with the putty.

Don't have too much material right now-- so here's an example of a conversion of mine from a few days ago:

Minis Galore

A lot more work went into this than meets the eye really. The banners are dark elf bits. I hate orks, therefore I had to acquire a slugga boy. So, after some careful work with the exacto knife (aka cutting the poor sap's arms and legs off) and scored some plastic pieces to look like bones and stuck em on there. Then I had to sculpt (I wear magnifying headgear for this as it can prove to be an eyestrain) the mangle muscle and intestines draping over the Berserker's hands.

Minis Galore

And thus my standard icon bearer was born.

Expect more soon... still throwing concepts out, and I have a few commissions I'm working on.. painting armies and such.

Also, I may attempt to take more pictures of this particular mini as I work on it/paint it. I have a hard time getting crisp shots of such tiny things close up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so did you actually sculpt this space marine, entirely? Or did you piece together existing parts to make a conversion? I noticed you mentioned that alot of times Warhammer 40k "sculptures" are conversions. That would be an inaccurate statement. They are sculptures when the actual Warhammer staff makes the original miniature for casting. After that they are reproductions. Youre a sculptor in the same way that a kid playing with Lego's is a sculpture. You were given pieces in a box and then you assembled them in an interesting fashion. Conversions arent sculptures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree Nexus, many conversions are very good "sculptures". It's like saying drawing stick figures isnt "drawing" which again would be inaccurate. Here you see flesh and intestines 'sculpted' and bones 'carved'. Good job mate, keep it up.

oh Kids and legos
    Some more

Last edited by Anemos the Storm; October 12th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anemos
    It's like saying drawing stick figures isnt "drawing" which again would be inaccurate
    Ok first of all this statement doesnt even make sense in reference to my point. Yes youre right drawing stick figures is drawing but they are crude, unskilled representations of the actual human form. So basically you just insulted Pezzle by comparing his sculpting to poorly done work.

Fine, he took some green stuff which already resembles intestines and viscera in consistency and sculpted a small portion of the actual model. And yes he did it on a very small scale, Im well acquainted with Warhammer and its kin. Ill concede that it was a good job as far as positioning of the model goes and the sculpting of the intestines. However even as a conversion goes its not something to get that excited about. It wouldnt win any Golden Goblin awards.

I dont know maybe it needs a paint job before I should pass judgement. Painting on this scale and doing it well is something to be immensely proud of. However on another note really this thread is for sculptures that were completed entirely by the artist. If you ever happen to sit down and produce your own to scale Warhammer model I would be forever humbled by your skill. Nice conversion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i remember back in the day id love to convert the miniatures with pieces theyr not supposed to have. it was great fun,. they never really got painted though.
    i even have that miniuature u used from the khorne berzerkers.
    show us some painted ones?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    If you ever happen to sit down and produce your own to scale Warhammer model I would be forever humbled by your skill. Nice conversion.
    ok. here is mine.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...31#post1060331

dont lose sight of logic. i made a piece of shit. but i made a tiny piece of shit. that doesnt make it a badass sculpt, it is still what it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok Manslaughter I see your point. Let me restate. If he were to make a well done Warhammer sculpt of his own I would be forever humbled. That better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes.
    my soldier does have a tiny red star on his hat, that im kind of proud off though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezzle
    Don't have too much material right now-- so here's an example of a conversion of mine from a few days ago:
    Was I too late for the sculpture/conversion controversy? Seemed like people were getting a little worked up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok Manslaughter I see your point. Let me restate. If he were to make a well done Warhammer sculpt of his own I would be forever humbled. That better?
    Hey, I threw that picture in here so my first post would not be completely useless. I intend to dump ALL my progressions in here (as in this thread) in my sculpting journies -- what you see there is my very first time EVER using green stuff. I don't clam that I'm anywhere near Golden Demon winner. I just started this hobby as a whole a few months ago. Don't worry though -- when I get the bearer all painted it'll be much nicer I love doing hand-painted banners and shoulder pads.

Sometimes, mate, less is more.. somtimes the plastic parts are all great components of the entire piece's composition, as opposed to going crazy with green stuff even if it's not needed.

So as you can see, since I just started sculpting and converting like four days ago I'm not ready to do whole minis yet.

Also you mentioned that piecing together plastic parts isn't sculpture -- when you took the time to file certain details out of certain parts to a smooth quality (as with the Dark Elf banners, which had telltale skulls in them that I removed) and then add green stuff it's not just like lopping legos together, those tiny green stuff conversions took me a good chunk of time as I was still getting used to the techniques involved! to me this piece is a major accomplishment and I'm very proud of it.

PS: *she

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anemos

Ok first of all this statement doesnt even make sense in reference to my point. Yes youre right drawing stick figures is drawing but they are crude, unskilled representations of the actual human form. So basically you just insulted Pezzle by comparing his sculpting to poorly done work. .
    No, you are saying that stick figures are poorly done and unskilled by an elitist standard. I am saying that drawing no matter the style or skill is still drawing, and that sculpting no matter the skill or style is still sculpting.

However even as a conversion goes its not something to get that excited about. It wouldnt win any Golden Goblin awards.
    laadeedaa
    For whom? I am sure Pezzle here is very excited about it and the prospect of doing more.

I dont know maybe it needs a paint job before I should pass judgement.
    ...sheesh

I'm done. Pezzle sorry for hijacking your thread, elitist attitudes just fly all over me. Your sculpture is a great start can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Anemos the Storm: It's fine man, it's fine. I am really excited about the prospect of doing more though it may be more sparse/intermittent than I originally anticipated. Just started a job with FireDog (the Circuit City PC technician thing) and i'm there a lot.

But, when there is more you'll see it here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bought some super sculpey and decided to pracitice a little bit since I'm shit for sculpting. So here's a base with some basic shapes I've been blocking in for a Khorne Daemon Prince.

It's stupid and it sucks, yes, please remind me. ;p Not refined yet, still kind of trying to figure out how to grip it :> Ah well. The armature was a bitch to make even up to this point. Still learning still learning.

I'll post more pics when I don't have such a stupid ass pounding headache.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    re: conversion vs sculpture.

I've been messing about with GW's figures for well over a decade now from making my own to converting each model in an entire army. Conversions using green stuff utalise the same skill that are applied to sculpting, further more good conversions are no less skillfull than a full sculpt.. just a different approach.

I've used conversions to build up my confidence to enable my to attempt (with varying success) full sculpts, started with adding purity seals here and there.. went onto converting bike squads to quads and ended up building (arguably sculpting?) a superheavy tank from scratch.

maybe i'll post up some of my work, knowing that other people convert and i won't be frowned upon as an imposter.

finally, even the guys who sculpt for GW use parts from the catalogue when they are making some new releases.. you will spot certain little gubbins in a few mini's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know...all you people insulting her work...
    I'd suggest trying to sculpt a good MINIATURE scale (35 mm or less) figure ...

Unless you results are as good as:

http://allanc.art.free.fr/seigneur%20minotaure.htm

or sculpted AND painted as well as:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/123491 (note the ribbons sculpted for the clothing on the arms!!!)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/98858
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/98857 (sculpted pic)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/121537 (all sculpted, except for head/backpack)..i held this in paris...it is gorgeous ...

..i'd say it's time for you to "sit yo' a$$ down!"

Sanjay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One day man, One day. I wish I were that good.

This takes a lot more work than one would think, since sculpey is so malleable. Maybe I should get some firm sculpey too to mix in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pezzle...you will i'm no where close to that either but I hope to be

I'm working on a sculpture for next year golden demons (toronto)...

will have pics up here later.

Sanjay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StarFyreXXX
    Pezzle...you will i'm no where close to that either but I hope to be

I'm working on a sculpture for next year golden demons (toronto)...

will have pics up here later.

Sanjay
    Was that the Daemon Prince you were talking about in the other thread? I'm going to get a bottle of isopropanol to smooth my Daemon Prince out. I just have a hard time making a stable armature for something so small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so progress for now, then...

Been working on it little by little after work and such. It's still very blocky but this is how I work... still kind of finding my niche. I haven't sculpted since Freshman year of high school.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.