Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

A cool, desaturated Blue!

What do I win?

EDIT: Found a better example; Here
    Last edited by Justin.; October 10th, 2006 at 10:01 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I'm comfoozled.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    #93b7ff
    *Runs off into the sunset*

Thanks
    i liked the +10 to drawing one yesterday better.

Thanks
    what nonsense
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    I dont think shadow can be a warm saturated orange. I spent like 15 minutes thinking about though.

edit:
    looks at example... i suppose, its not very saturated though is it... i mean its not even wet.

Thanks
    I would say that in that example the light is more Teal than blue ( or cian)

On a completely different subject, I´m completely missing the losa-tar joke, something that happened elsewere? like in the IRC channels?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    check the thunderdome forums.. gesture challenge.

btw, the answer to the question is "OCTARINE"

Thanks
    Couldn't there be a number of reasons for this? In order for a shadow to be more saturated than a highlight, there would have to be a secondary light source or reflected light around. This could easily be orange if the secondary light itself was orange or if the object were in an orange-heavy setting.

Of course, the statement doesn't specify what colour the object is, what surrounds it or whether the shadow is more or less saturated than the highlight. I'm inclined to say we lack enough information to tell.

And what do they mean by average visual situation? Is there such a thing? Silly
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Average visual situation;

The sky, trees, Cliffs, ocean, birds, buildings, etc.,

Things that happen naturaly I suppose- That or an image composed using knowledge of Jason Manley's Color Theory Lecture

General Teal color;
    Here
    General Cyan Color:
    Here

On my monitor, it is in fact, a desaturated blue color.
    Last edited by Justin.; October 11th, 2006 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin
    I dont think shadow can be a warm saturated orange. .
    Why can shadows be blue but not orange?

Imagine this: a planet with an orange atmosphere and blue sun, and a white ground. Now what color shadows will that blue sun cast?
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Plaid.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    Plaid.
    Dood, is there a ROFL smiley?

Thanks
    -Justin, not sure your example is the best as it seems to be all in shadow @_@.

Let's not forget shadows aren't 'tangible' objects - they are caused by blocking a lightsource. Colors in the shadow are either dependant on reflected/ambient lighting or secondary lightsources - this of course in relation to the object in question.

Actually I have no clue why the shadow would have enough pure 'orange' light to be saturated so, confusingly phrased ... the implication is that the ambient light has enough pure 'orange' light but where is that coming from?

I think perhaps this is more refering to the art 'rule', warm light cool shadow, cool light warm shadow which doesn't necessarily mean hue but rather refers more to saturation? So, the cool light is more concentrated and will thus 'dull' out the full light comparitively no?

Plus I've always thought this was a bit of simultaneous contrast in play as well.

Thanks
    Well, that was my reasoning (about the art "rule"), but I said Blue because it's a compliment to orange.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    I think perhaps this is more refering to the art 'rule', warm light cool shadow, cool light warm shadow which doesn't necessarily mean hue but rather refers more to saturation?
    No, refers to temperature
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    I think we are on the same page, I was just thinking perhaps it, the question was phrased a bit funny.

Define temperature if you would please,

to me temperature seems to encompass several things, hue (i.e. yellow being warm, blue being cool), saturation (Dull yellow being 'cooler', intense yellow being 'warmer/hot') and as it seems usually in conjunction.

But yeah, I dunno - I'm not sure.

Thanks
    I thought that shadows cant really be saturated in average situations...

Thanks
    I thought that shadows cant really be saturated in average situations...
    Of course they can.

A perfect example: on a cloudless day when snow is on the ground, the shadows cast by the sun are a deep purply blue.

Another example: you are sitting in front of the computer, looking at images which are mostly orange. A cool blue/white bulb lights your face from the left. That will leave the right side of your face only illuminated by the computer screen, and thus both shadowed and orange.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    isn't that purple/blue colour an illusion, for example when you see a grey circle on an orange canvas it appears to be a very blue grey ? i dont really know this just how i reasoned with the question.

as for the screen, i wouldn't call that the average situation, its not natural light.

Thanks
    isn't that purple/blue colour an illusion, for example when you see a grey circle on an orange canvas it appears to be a very blue grey ? i dont really know this just how i reasoned with the question.

as for the screen, i wouldn't call that the average situation, its not natural light.
    Whether color is an illusion or not is a question for philosophers. For us artists, if you want to reproduce what your eyes are telling you, then you have to paint the colors that you see. So if you see blue, you paint blue.* It’s simple.

As for what makes an average situation – don’t shoot for mediocrity. Neon lights, stop-lights, aurora borealis, red sunrise, the green glow of sunlight filtered through tree canopy, the blue glow cast by a television, the green of a pond under the surface, the glow in any color of a stained-glass window, the yellow of a dust storm – every last one of these and a million more – these are situations that you want to put in your art, not take out of it. Every last one of them is valid and logical and filled with visual poetry. If you understand how light works, you can paint any of these things effectively, along with whatever you consider to be average. They are all average, somewhere.

*[edit] Don’t worry about color illusions yet. You’ll run into them as you go. Yes, color is relative, but if you start trying to make red out of gray right out of the gate, you will have trouble. Instead, paint red, and if it turns out to be too red, push it towards gray.

Thanks
    ah but your eyes decieve you, if there is a grey circle and an orange canvas which you wish to paint from but you paint an orange canvas with a desaturated blue circle they wont look alike colour wise,

as for the average situation, average is the mean if you include all of time technology and arificial light are but a blip in the span of the situations the earth has seen,

sorry im probably being a bit pedantic.

Thanks
    That example is rubbish. You can't choose an orange peach (or whatever it is) to prove the shadow is orange.
    But this is awesome, some proper discusion about ART in the lounge?! I think hell just froze over.

As for the question, doesn't it all depend on what surface the shadow is placed on?
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    plus the colour of the light i'd guess. if you put an orange on a table and hit it with a red light...well.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex
    plus the colour of the light i'd guess.
    Let's expand it to "plus the colour of everything that you see". Everything about colour is relative to its surrounding area. The relative contrast in hue, saturation, and/or value of the background/surrounding area does influence your perception of the focus object.

How you perceive something depends how its attributes (hue, saturation, value, temperature, location/position,...) play with the attributes of the remaining visible things in your field of vision. To expand this you could add that this perception is dependent on the attributes of everything that happened in your field of vision moments ago. That could be added as a change over time attribute and just included in the sentence above.

Thanks
    well now aint this fun.

i got a question. there is a differance batween shade and shadow. is the question refering to shade or shadow? when answering are you thinking about the right one? does joel actualy rember which is which from what he learned in school? answer: no

my guess is a yellow light.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    There is no difference really... actually; Shade is what you stand in, Shadow is the absence of light to some degree.

Anyways; a note about the "Purpley blue illusion"

It is no illusion to artists; You just have to think. Why is a shadow cast by the sun blue, not black? Think; what other lightsources effect that shadow? That's right! The sky. That is why on a clear day, a shadow cast by the sun appears blue (On bright surfaces like sidewalks anyways), the sky hits the ground where the sun doesn't, so you see only diffused (Probably not the right term) light from the environment.

Look at the photo below; wherever the sun does not hit appears blue(ish)
    Last edited by Justin.; October 12th, 2006 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    i think thats kinda where my coment about shade and shadow came in. if i remeber right (unlikely) shade is where the light does not hit. like the shade that is caused by the man on the horse. shadow is the varitaions in tone and color caused by the varition in plane that that like is cast on. but i could have those backwords and i think i do.
    never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    The definition you provide for Shadow corresponds better with "Value" and "form" a little I guess.

Thanks
    Shadow: A shadow is a dark shape, e.g. on the ground or a wall, caused by an object (or person, etc.) blocking light. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow

Shade: (Not exactly an art term, unless you're refering to 'shading' I suppose) Shade is the blocking of sunlight (in particular direct sunshine) by any object, and also the shadow created by that object. It may refer to blocking of sunlight by a roof, a tree, an umbrella, a window shade or blind, or anything else.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shade

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast