Sketchbook: Diving into it all...

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Diving into it all...

Been leafing thru other peep's sketchbooks and thought I should post some of my own...attached is some figure drawing I have done in the past, some from live models and some from photo reference...I am particularly fond of the last one, having done it in all of three minutes, and with my non-dominant hand.

Diving into it all...

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by madhatter106; June 21st, 2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: resized images
    www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some additionals - wow, these were mostly done ten years ago for school...time flies, and newsprint really does yellow quite a bit...

www.costumesketch.com

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a composite for my website - it's a "dummy" placeholder front piece I have up for temporary purposes, before the real deal is designed and posted...

I studied drama design (costume and scenery) and have focused on costumes since moving the Los Angeles nine years ago. Which made all that figure drawing in college worthwhile - half of the costume design sketch is nailing the body type/face and pose just right, to "sell" it visually.

Also attached are some costume drawings done in Photoshop with my new Intuos tablet - not so much paintings, per se, but colored drawings - the lines never quite disappear...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Holly...............! what a beautyful males & females anatomys & figures, also costume sketches are just awesome stuff.....Hehe i think i'm your first visitor..... I like your sketchbook, keep more posting.............. Welcome to the SKETCHBOOK & GOODLUCK MAN...............................

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more - most of it's old stuff that I did a while back...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more costume sketch stuff...plus a couple of superhero/supervillain types in pencil at the end. (I had been playing way too much CITY OF HEROES at the time I drew these... )

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more for the road - this one was always a favorite in my portfolio...I cranked it out fast and was rather pleased with it, and watercolor is not my most comfortable of mediums..

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start to your s.b. The "Dr. Purgon" peice does seem to be your best peice yet. The watercolor looks great and it has an overall appealing feel to it. Keep working on your lfe drawing and posing on the figure. I think you could get even more dramtic with your poses in ordewr to sell them. Cheers!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, silvestri - yeah, it's a fine line when dealing with costume sketches for the industry...on the one hand, you want to "sell" the piece, but on the other hand there are times when a sketch goes to the work room and everyone stands around it saying, "what the hell? I can't figure out anything from this sketch..." Which is why I am not a big fan of "fashion drawing," (some of which can be seen on Project Runway) those really elongated quick sketches that use three lines to show us a little black dress...but you can't see the seams...or the waist...or any other pertinent details.

Getting the pose is the trickiest part sometimes...I am definitely trying. Glad you liked the Purgon piece - that's another where I wish the pose were a little better situated for the character. Thanks for taking a look!

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your sketchbooks off to a good start. Im really digging that groovy wizard in post #5 and your costume stuff. Keep it up!

Support your local Spaceman!

Third Art
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I like the wizard too - I did him one day at some lousy office temp job to pass the time...

Attached are some more figure studies - some quick pen studies with a splash or two of water to work in some values...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick little speed painting from reference...extra points if you can name to german film it came from (not too hard for you buffs out there)...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frickin' beautiful.

oh, here's my sketchbook.

Also, my website. It would get beat up in a fight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another quick (under thirty minutes) black and white painting study from reference...I think I'm falling into a "mad scientist" theme with these...

The further hand was a bit tricky and still not happy with it - the reference drawing was too hasty and consequently messed up the painting. Though I am happy with his gloved hand that is closer to the picture plane...

Did not have the constitution to include the False Maria...she should be looming over his shoulder, but hunger strikes...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick pencil face sketches in the sketchbook from a while back...a lot of them are out of a book on the 1920's, and some (my favorites) are from a book of photographs of prisoner mugshots from the 1800's...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick mad scientist-themed study...

"it's moving...it's alive, it's alive! It's ALIVE!"

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi madhatter

nice to see your sketchbook. my fave is the wizard. its cool... good studies too. A crit you might be able to use is that sometimes your figures look kinda flat. it might help to make a significant jump in value on the planes of the form. it might give them more demensionality. Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Disco - thanks, man

Santa - yes I do have that tendency. I tend not to go too dark with the values since in my end of the business it sometimes only serves to mask/hide/confuse the issue. I'd love to move it away from that tradition, as well as my tendency to be stingy with "pigment."

Here's another quick little painting from photo reference...good old Peter Lorre in Mad Love..."each man kills the thing he loves..." Finally available on DVD. My favorite part was doing his googly eyes...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick painting - don't quite know if I'm happy with it...

Karloff in "The Mummy," with fez.

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies the digital paintings looks great ...

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OldNoobie - thanks, I'm just beginning to get accustomed to the whole digital painting thing...the first 30 minutes or so are usually "oh I should quit my day job," but then things begin to look better and I get more comfortable with it.

Just a small update - photo ref'ed copy of a publicity shot of Dwight Frye from around the time he did "Dracula."

Last edited by madhatter106; November 21st, 2006 at 05:40 AM.
    www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, designboot...

Just a couple more uncolored sketches from prior projects...I should get around to watercoloring these some day...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey madhatter106,

Looking thru your SB. Like the watercolor costumes pieces alot, esp. the one in post #7. Not confident, you say, nevertheless. good handling of the media. Watercolor is such a sophisitcated media and few can use it well. It's a study goal for me as well as oils.
    The mug studies are great, especially for teaching how to capture character. Even with these, you can study the structure underneath, the skull, design of the mass of muscle. I would definately continue what you're doing, but in addition, I would look at a skull reference at the same time to find the landmarks in the face you are studying. It will help solidify and lock those features in place. Excellent digital studies. Good stuff.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AztcFireFlower - thanks for the sketchbook review...I haven't touched oil painting since high school (over a dozen years ago), but what little I did, I enjoyed. Thanks for the kind words on watercolors - I find that the grimey and dirtier character types are easier for me to render than the regal, clean types - sitting down to paint rags is a lot less "stressful" than painting velvet...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just another quick black and white reference painting done in between eating Thanksgiving leftovers and figuring out a ride to the auto mechanic's place...the incomparable Eric von Stroheim as the shady Count Wladislaw Sergius Karamzin in "Foolish Wives."

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one, done in between spurts of catching "The Manchurian Candidate" on TCM tonight...though I should have done one of Lawrence Harvey or Angela Lansbury in keeping with the theme of that...

However, here's a photo ref'ed of Conrad Veidt in "The Man Who Laughs."

Last edited by madhatter106; November 29th, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
    www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking sb, heads, hands, and figure studies, great, keep it up. also you might want to try mixing it up with some antomy studies from books like bridgmen, hogarth, etc. just some advice. keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more, just more black and white studies ref'ed from old photographs pulled from even older movies...

The first two are from von Stroheim's butchered masterpiece "Greed." The third is a studio promo still of director Tod Browning. The last, unfinished one, is from a promo still of Maria Ouspenskaya...though the drawing is rather messed up to begin with, so it barely looks like her...ah, well, an off week for me, or so I felt...

www.costumesketch.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very fine character designs! Love the figure drawings as well! Great studies over all dude!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.