Thanks

Giant Camel Fossil Found in Syria

Select: Camel. Scale: 200%

Like a normal camel... only ... TWICE AS BIG. crazy.!

coexisted with humans too.

from bbc news

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    wow,i mean, normal camels are already pretty big,but this...whew.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Wow! Awesome!

I've got a question for anybody who might know. Why were animals so big once upon a time? Why don't we get giant lizards and mammoths in the present day?

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    I would bet a large part of it is that they couldn't get enough food easily enough to survive.
    Evolution.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    Wow! Awesome!

I've got a question for anybody who might know. Why were animals so big once upon a time? Why don't we get giant lizards and mammoths in the present day?
    Natural selection, for example the saber tooth tiger despite of being the largest, more powerfull feline ever is not as near as succesful at surviving than a common house cat.

A large body also needs a large amout of calories to survive, and example of how unproductive this is for large animals would be the Bison who must eat 90% of his daily time to produce enought heat.

Is just not a good idea to be big, for example Elephants are having some troubles, there is less and less food for them and they can wipe out an entire crop in one night....Having a hungry pack of elephants nearby is every indian farmer´s nightmare.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Wow! Awesome!

There are several different issues here, depending on which kinds of animals you're talking about. But in the specific case of big, "recently" extinct mammals (mammoths, american rhinos, etc) it's probably a combination of environmental change and human impact. Large species are always more prone to extinction because they need more resources and tend to have longer gestation periods, hence fewer offspring. Add to that the rapid, global spread of homo sapiens in the past 100,000 years or so. Even very primitive levels of technology (spear throwers, bows and arrows) allow humans to hunt animals far larger than ourselves, and it's much more efficient to hunt fewer large animals than many small ones. It's telling that Africa, the continent with the largest number of surviving megafauna, is also where humans and those species have co-evolved for the longest period.
    Last edited by Elwell; October 13th, 2006 at 02:33 AM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

also...

Keep in mind that many of these large forms, specifically like giant ground sloths and so forth specifically adapted that way because of the pleistocene age ("the ice age.") big bodies stay warmer easier... their forms more robust...say, like the neanderthals, and so forth and kept heat better. Since many were herbivorous it also gave them an advantage in getting food from trees. big herbivores need big carnivores to eat them... hence, cave bears and so forth

with the dinosaurs gone because of the devestating, climate changing effects of the meteor impact in the yucatan (still disputed, i believe), mammals evolved to greater and greater sizes unhindered. when the dinos were around we mammals were basically very small relative to the reptilians.

forgive me for any gross inaccuracies in the above... it's more or less like that though
    guggen loves science maneuver

Thanks
    Ooo...I love science too! I had read recently that one of the theories for animals (dinosaurs mostly) developing so large was there was higher levels of oxygen in the air millions of years ago. Other scientists have said this was not so, and that dinosaurs had more efficient lungs. However, what about all the larger aquatic species, insects, and plants? I think the oxygen theory could be correct. It just makes sense.

Thanks
    Hey, thanks everybody for the info. I totally appreciate it. I'd wondered this for a while, but everytime I typed, "Why were animals so big," into google, it just laughed at me

I had an idea that being big meant needing a lot of food, but I never knew about the other reasons too. Thanks again.

PS: I almost forgot one cool science fact I learned about Neanderthals. Their noses were wide because big wide noses are greater cooling devices. Even though they were in cold climates, their faces had to stay cool while they ran so they wouldn't sweat because sweat would freeze cause them to get even colder. I always loved that little bit of knowlege.
    Last edited by magicgoo; October 10th, 2006 at 08:56 PM.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    I saw on the Discovery Channel that higher oxygen levels were what enabled insects to get so large in the Paleozoic (don't remember exactly what period), so that oxygen theory may be correct.

Edit: That's the third time today someone has responded at the same time I did.

Thanks
    It may have been true for insects, because they have a pretty inefficient respiratory apparatus. It works fine when they're small, but if they were any bigger, they wouldn't be able to supply themselves with enough oxygen to survive. I imagine if the oxygen content of the air was richer, they'd be able to get bigger.

This here is a really cool read about the biology behind giant monsters in B-movies, and why they really wouldn't be able to exist in reality.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai
    I saw on the Discovery Channel that higher oxygen levels were what enabled insects to get so large in the Paleozoic (don't remember exactly what period),
    Carboniferous.
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...16/ai_17199031

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    There are more than one theory being supported. I read an interesting book about the human evolution, the mega fauna and what happened to the Neanderthals. (I can pull the title of the book when home if anyone is interested.)

It actually supports the fact that human had little to do with the change in the mega fauna and it was illness brought by the end of an ice age. One of the issues raised about the survival of the Neanderthals was their skull size vs the Neanderthal female's sacrum size...

Thanks
    PS: I almost forgot one cool science fact I learned about Neanderthals. Their noses were wide because big wide noses are greater cooling devices. Even though they were in cold climates, their faces had to stay cool while they ran so they wouldn't sweat because sweat would freeze cause them to get even colder. I always loved that little bit of knowlege.
    Actually, I saw just the opposite on Discovery, if you have ever been in places where the temperature gets below 30 (c or f, it doesn't matter, they meet at -30) you know how your nostrils stick closed from the cold (and your lungs burn), they had a large nose in order to warm up and moisten the cold air they were breathing.

I don't know which is right...

Thanks
    Hahah, Qitsune, me neither! Now they both sound right. On the same show, they said the thick bodies of Neanderthals kept the warmth in while the wide noses were built for cooling. Then they said that taller bodies were designed for hot climates so that there was more skin surface to allow more surface area for persperation to cool the body.

Well, I've got a narrow big nose and a short body, and I'm always too hot or too cold, so I don't get it

Trés Cuté Sketch Group

Thanks
    Well, it makes sense that the act of warming the air coming in would cool the face, so I guess they go hand in hand and it might just be a nice evolutionary accident.

Thanks
    God damn it! I studied genetics and evolution at university (BSC Molecular Biology) and to be honest I couldn't have put together half the answers you lot have come up with! And I thought "Yay! I can show off now" hahahaha

Big ups the informed artistic massive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Qitsune
    where the temperature gets below 30 (c or f, it doesn't matter, they meet at -30) .
    Sorry, it's -40 that they meet at. C=(5(F-32))/9.

So: -40F -32 =-72;
    -72*5 = 360;
    -360/9 =-40.

Phew, I got to be right about something

Thanks
    Hahah, Qitsune, me neither! Now they both sound right. On the same show, they said the thick bodies of Neanderthals kept the warmth in while the wide noses were built for cooling. Then they said that taller bodies were designed for hot climates so that there was more skin surface to allow more surface area for persperation to cool the body.

Well, I've got a narrow big nose and a short body, and I'm always too hot or too cold, so I don't get it

Did Discovery happen to mention who designed them that way?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blakboks
    Yes, nature, who is actually not a subject and it can be callled "it"; therefore is "what designed them". ( of course by nature I mean that they were designed by the conditions of their enviroment and the need to survive to it........sadly it wasn´t enough for them )

Funny thing about Neardenthals is that they probably looked like WoW dwarfs...except for their height.
    Last edited by Shamagim; October 13th, 2006 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    What is all this talk about evolution? Everyone knows we were Intelligently Designed...

Thanks
    i know right?

all this science nonsense offends my christian sensibilities, Ironotaku convinced me to get saved

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Did Discovery happen to mention anything about Pokémon?

I can't get my Kabuto to evolve.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    i know right?

all this science nonsense offends my christian sensibilities, Ironotaku convinced me to get shaved
    Dude, too much information!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    Did Discovery happen to mention anything about Pokémon?

I can't get my Kabuto to evolve.
    Yes it did, It will evolve at level 40.

Plus additional information about Kabuto´s evolution, Kabutops:

"Kabutops is an amphibious relative of the crab. Although it lives in water, and can move at high speeds (comparable to a swordfish) by folding its limbs against its body, it comes out of the water to hunt.
    Kabutops is a predator, but its nature of feeding is vampiric; instead of killing its prey, it uses its razor sharp claws to open wounds in its prey, and then drink its blood. It attempts to avoid killing prey, so it may feed at a later date."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blakboks
    Duh.

HUMAN SCIENTISTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET CREATED ALL LIFE ON EARTH USING DNA.

0kelvin
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hahah. That's funny--I was just reading that the other day, too.

-Chris

Thanks
    I don't think this is a complete answer for the gigantism of animals in the past but it may have some bearing on it. Part of the reason that animals were so huge I think is because there was alot more oxygen around to power them.

http://www.livescience.com/animalwor...t_insects.html

Giant insects might crawl on Earth or fly above it if there was just more oxygen in the air, scientists report.

Roughly 300 million years ago, giant insects scuttled around and fluttered over the planet, with dragonflies bearing wingspans comparable to hawks at two-and-a-half feet. Back then, oxygen made up 35 percent of the air, compared to the 21 percent we breathe now.

Not all the insects back then were giants, but still, "maybe 10 percent were big enough to be considered giant," insect physiologist Alexander Kaiser at Midwestern University in Glendale, Ariz., told LiveScience.
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Part of the explanation for very large animals, for example dinosaurs and the large mammals discussed above, can be partially explained by a sort of evolutionary "arms race"
    Your larger offspring get eaten less (its harder to kill something big enough to just step on you) and they produce larger offspring etc. The predators adapt along the way as well, the bigger ones can handle catching the new bigger herbivores and so are more succesfull.
    Fast forward a few thousand or million years and you've got a bunch of really large critters running around.
    Of course being that large means you have to be living in a very plentifull environment. If things change and your large size means theres not enough food, you're hooped.