Sketchbook: Death at the Chapel

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Death at the Chapel

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif

Hello Conceptart. Im an art student attending Massey University in New Zealand. Please comment upon
    my sketch's, be as critical as you want, talk about anything that has anything to do with my art or art in general. Since im in the Southern Hemisphere we have just started our summer break which last for four months and i want to improve dramtically in that space and any comment or critique is gonna help loads and loads and loads.

Death at the Chapel
    this one is done with black biro on paper. My attempt at a dark cartoon couple

Death at the Chapel
    i dont realy know what this one is. a nun i spose

Death at the Chapel

Death at the Chapel
    this is an illustration for a friends poem done with .5mm tech pencil, paper and photoshop

Death at the Chapel
    this is also an illustration for a friends poem. My go at trying to play round with textures and graphite drawings

Death at the Chapel
    this was my first attempt at painting using my wacom which i did over a year ago

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gleeson; October 3rd, 2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: updating thread avatar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm diggin' the poem illustration, but the nun is also very good. I would say something more constructive at this point; however, from what it seems, you're ahead of me

Draw 'em like ya feel 'em.

"Wigga Wigga Nutshire"
    "How many quarters are in a dollar?"
    "...half and half, kinda like the cream, but I don't like coughy..."
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man. yeah those poem illustrations are obviously what i posted around, the nuns a bummy paint i did about a month ago, i am in the thick of university at the moment and i havent been able to draw in a long time. cant wait summers round the corner (im from New Zealand so summers from November to march you see)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

paper bag girl

Death at the Chapel
    yes she has clown boots on, i know. huge feet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a water colour painting i did of a robot. he's meant to be a low class robot, resembleing a garbage can, been kicked around a bit.

Death at the Chapel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update

Death at the Chapel

Death at the Chapel

Death at the Chapel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting style of artwork, I like it reminds me of the "scary stories" series of books from when I was a kid. Pretty neat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Death at the Chapel

um these sketch's are concepts for a vodoo doll, as is the next.

Death at the Chapel

I sketched these for a uni assignment. Whats do you think of the aesthetic? to proportions, what does it remind you of, how could i improve them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there fellow Kiwi.

I don't know which direction you're going with the aesthetics, I can tell you though that I personally find the overall shape and shading in these two visually appealing.

Proportions in the first one looks fine. With the second one I think his (her?) eyes are a bit too far apart.

I don't think they remind me of Voodoo dolls very well. I don't know the exact criteria you have for your assignment but you might wanna exaggerate and draw attention to the stuffs associated with voodoo dolls. Maybe have him/her holding a giant spike (instead of tiny needles). You might wanna make your character look less human and resembling a doll more (textile skin, button eyes, vacant eyes, etc) - just to make sure people can easily tell what it is.

Just my two cents - hope that's relevant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks jeri. sorry i didnt go into detail about those last two. We had to illustrate a short lymric which had this vooodo girl charactor as the central protagonist. However the story was a metaphorical one and its underlying story was about how this girl could not love anyone because as soon as she held them close voodoo needles in her heart would be plunged into her deeper.. well its a bit long winded to explain but basicaly we were meant to make our charactors implicit and not to be overt about the metaphorical appropriation of the voodo girl charactor to represent the lovestruck girl. in other words our charactors were meant to be inbetween'ers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry if this is a bit repeatitive but i thought i should post my poem illustrations with out any digital reworking on them just because the detailing of my drawings are easier to see and my drawing style can be seen more clearly, hopefully for more crits

Death at the Chapel

Death at the Chapel

Last edited by Gleeson; October 22nd, 2006 at 12:56 AM.

2nd Layer of Hell, where the lustful blow to and fro
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man nice style! I love your work. The paper bag girl is really nice. Post more !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeson
    thanks jeri. sorry i didnt go into detail about those last two. We had to illustrate a short lymric which had this vooodo girl charactor as the central protagonist. However the story was a metaphorical one and its underlying story was about how this girl could not love anyone because as soon as she held them close voodoo needles in her heart would be plunged into her deeper.. well its a bit long winded to explain but basicaly we were meant to make our charactors implicit and not to be overt about the metaphorical appropriation of the voodo girl charactor to represent the lovestruck girl. in other words our charactors were meant to be inbetween'ers
    Lymric as in limerick or a typo of lyric?

Inbetween huh? Guess I can't be of much help because my knowledge of symbolism is very limited. If the assignment demands a degree of implicitness then I suppose you will be graded on how well you can convey the background of this character subtly right? You probably have to look up on some example of symbolism in romance/voodoo.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JERI-

Quote Originally Posted by JERI
    Lymric as in limerick or a typo of lyric?

Inbetween huh? Guess I can't be of much help because my knowledge of symbolism is very limited. If the assignment demands a degree of implicitness then I suppose you will be graded on how well you can convey the background of this character subtly right? You probably have to look up on some example of symbolism in romance/voodoo.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Hey i just clicked your from NZ aswell. missed it in your first comment. Thats cool i only know 2 other NZ'ers that are ca memebers

yeah your right jeri symbolism was definitaly key. I actualy canned the assignment option because and my tutor had disagreements with 'how subtle is to subtle' and instead illustrated a different story. but i posted these more because i felt they were a little different from the other images posted and kinda gave a more rounded impression of what i do and what I like to draw.

I had a look at some of your work quickly. wicked stuff man im glad to get some feedback about my work from you.

By the way yes 'lymric' was a typo bcause i cant spell to save myself. I was meant to type limerick ofcorse

-CHIKO

thanks man i just had a look at your sketchbook and you have an awesome style, its cool seeing your imrovement from one end of your thread to the other. Dont know if you've already heard or if you'd be interested but Imagine FX has a comp going where you have to illustrate a situation from Naruto. i think you could do well. If your intested im sure they will hae somthing on thier site about it.

- Gleeson

Last edited by Gleeson; October 23rd, 2006 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this is a drawing i completed about an hour before i made this post. Everything else i have posted is 2 months - 18 months old. So this is realy where im at. So what do you think

P.S I know her hair looks like liqourish straps, what can i say... im working on my blonde hair skills

Death at the Chapel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice illustrations here.DOn't worry about posting bigger pics so that we can see them better.Nice pencil technique, but about the proportions, i know it might sound boring but you need to do studies.Loois books are supposed to help n that side.If you want to study muscle masses, than check out Hogart books.Anyway, good start for a sketchbook, keep it up

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice tart, you've got some interesting works going on, I hope you'll keep posting.
    As Gnoll said I wouldn't mind seing some of the stuff a little bigger.
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Gnoll - Thanks man good point, i actualy have no way of doing a nice job on my faces if i am just doing guess work with the muscles structres. i did learn i bit of that like a year ago but unfortunitally i did like 6 months of basicly straight graphic design and no drawing so i kind of got out of practice a bit. will look into those books, thanks

Voraz- HELL yeah i am defintally going to keep on posting. im setting myself a target of 3 hours of drawing a day. and yeah i should just post my images a bit bigger in the first place. i was just making them smallish because i didnt want people to pike out of looking at my sketch book after the first few images had loaded so i tried making them take up as little space as possible without making the images crappy, guess i didnt get that balance right eh

Anyway here is another little wacom paint. Um it is going to be part of a large composition that will be centred around a pied piper charactor but i thought i would just chuck this out there and see what people thought before i go spending ages on the rest of it.

Death at the Chapel

P.S.
    I used the texture that El Coro posted in the Ca members exclusive forum in the skin,, just subtley but i think it made alot of difference, if anyone reading this hasnt right click saved it yet then i defintally recomend it, its a very versitile texture and defintally helpful

Last edited by Gleeson; October 27th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Death at the Chapel
    just a small post. been too busy to do anything substantial. I drew all these charactors from a bunch of gig photos apart from the dude to the right, that was done last from a wes burt drawingbecause i was getting sick of drawing

Last edited by Gleeson; June 2nd, 2007 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.

This is pretty awesome work. I really love the ones you did for your friend's poem. These are great! POst more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this stuff is great , i really like your pencil drawings i wish i could render in pencil the way you do, great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, sorry for taking so long to get back at ya!
    Im really digging your technique.
    That last page is awesome, dare I say quite inspirational
    You heard, or a fan of Wesley Burt? Your last one reminds me of him, which is awesome.
    If I could crit something it would be that it could be refined more. The last 2 are superb though.
    Keep posting, great stuff

edit: Oh, and nice to see a Kiwi on the boards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! i love your work... its the kinda controlled observational stuff that i can only achieve in the right mind set... otherwise my hands just usually settle into a much messier kind of style... i get lazy.. so yes therefore very inspirational!!
    i really like ur earlier characters.. the girl. i think you should work with some really different compositions too.. the REC one is really effective..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dished: thanks man, they are a bit old now though

Waregle: cheers for the encouragement

Blanquished: Hey thanks man. Just realised your from Adelaide. bet you your summers started better than mine, wellington weather, horrible. Yip i am a fan of Wesley Burt. Yeah i am just pluging out some drawings, trying to gather momentum and realy get productive but improving upon my refinement is a goal of mine.

Giricocola: Thanks for the nice words. I like the rec one too and im now having a go at more complicated compositions. P.s, is your avatar a photo of you?

just another pencil sketch

Death at the Chapel

Last edited by Gleeson; November 15th, 2006 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Gleeson thnk for drop in my sketchbook, damnit your pencisl are sick bro, very interesting how you work with this.

Keep posting

Icaro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey gleeson! looks like you've made a substantial improvement even just in the last two pencil sketches... have you been able to get in ur hours of drawing??
    i would like to see a bigger more complicated composition surrounding the pied piper character... sort of inspired by the boat one by Wesley Burt? u could come up with something really surreal...

p.s. yes my avatar is me... how come??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like how you keep those pencil hatches neat and defined. Man everybody here makes pencil rendering look so easy. What pencil (s) do you use btw?

About that Pied Piper, don't know what the exact criteria is but I can tell you that he looks well-drawn and well-designed. Definitely packs personality. you need to finish up on the eye though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice pencil renderings, really enjoy seeing your ideas from post to post, very creative stuff. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like this SB, your designs are very nice- i especially like your more stylised designs like the first biro study of the two characters, and your pencils are also very nice, id like to see some more stylised stuff
    [bookmark]

Thanks for stopping by my SB
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    enthombed- thanks man your sb was wicked to look through

Giricocola- Hey Giri! no i havent been able to get in all the art hours iv wanted to, been enjoy my holidays and doing summer work to much but i hope to get some stuff going around christmas. nice update in your sb by the way! i will give a crit soon

JERI- Thanks Jeri. i have spent years being crap at rendering so its been good the last year or two to finally improve and get somewhere, i use a 2b .5mm technical pencil for all of my pencil sketching and nothing else. P.S am working on completin the pied piper scene right now so hope to post it in the next few days

Darktwin- Thnaks for the encouragment man

lefran- Thanks Lefran Ive just started on a project with a firend where i hope to be doing my stylised work.below is how i used those two figures in a mockup gig poster for a New Zealand tour of indie bands.

So this is the poster

Death at the Chapel

Last edited by Gleeson; May 23rd, 2007 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.