Sketchbook: Somewhat newbie artist.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Somewhat newbie artist.

Now the title has scared many people out. =p

Oh yeah... I forgot I couldn't draw Feet either.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wild; May 17th, 2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is a new batch of pictures... and I'm really looking for some critiques. Uhhh... as you can see, I'm not the best artist, but I'm trying to get into a College for a Fine Arts Degree, so it'd be awesome if anyone could tell me what to do to improve. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I like this muscle bound fox dude you've created. Keep drawing and you'll soon improve.

Oh and most artists find hands and feet a very daunting task to overcome, I know I do anyway! So do some hand and feet studies and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On your first post, the thumb is on the wrong side. Nice characters here man. The fastest way to improve is to draw as many anatomy, life and figure studies as you can each day. Keep up the good work. Ill be checking back to see how you are doing.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments. ^-^ And yes... feet and hands... are quite hard, which is why I usually try to hide them, though only once did it look better for me to.

And yes, I noticed the thumb was on the wrong side when I posted it on my DA account. But I was too lazy to go back and revise it. But I'll take your advice. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cliff,

This is the anatomy book I have. It's not too expensive and it has good material for you to study.

For now I would say you need to stop drawing the man-foxes and practice some life drawing skills. Draw anything you find around in your house or outside. Buy that book and study the images from it. You've got to take small steps and not get too ahead of yourself by trying to establish a certain style right away. That comes later after you have developed some understanding of drawing first.

Cheers and keep at it~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It sounds like you honestly want to improve, which is a big first step. However, something that you really need to do, is have the ability to evaluate your own work. Instead of just looking at it and going "well, this isn't right" stop, and figure out WHY it isn't right---then fix it.
    it's very easy to ask for help, but what will help you the most is dedication.

If you want to be good at athletics, you train your body. When creating art, you need to train your observational skills, and your dexterity. Before learning to run, you need to learn how to walk.

Foundation skills are what are most important. Learning to be able to draw accurately from observation allows you to build a visual memory database that you can use. When drawing for life, be very careful to draw exactly what you are seeing, not what you think you are seeing. If you feel yourself getting lazy, take a break, go get a glass of water and come back to it. For right now, I would stay away from the computer. It looks that you are using a mouse, which is tedious and not overly beneficial to your studies. If you desperately *want* to learn digital media, make an investment in a drawing tablet. It is most important to learn to draw with a pencil, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

What I would suggest you do, is stay away from drawing anthro characters for a bit until you understand both human anatomy and animal anatomy...personally I have no taste for the anthro characters, but I think it is important that you enjoy whatever drew you towards making art in the first place [oh no, that is such a horrible pun]. Find artists that inspire you, or that you are simply jealous of, and figure out what they are doing that makes them good. Instead of going "well shit, they're good because they're GOOD" look and dissect what they are doing. There are no shortcuts to getting better. Hours and hours of observing and drawing is the only way to getting better.

I hope to see some updates here soon, still life and self portraits, of long term poses. Draw lightly initially and use your eraser if you are making bad marks. Then allow yourself to render as you see fit. The longer I work towards improving myself the more I realize there is no shortcut. Hard work and dedication is the only way.

lets see some updates, mate.

cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Texahol's words = truth

The big thing in his comment to really focus on is drawing exactly what you see, not what you think you see;

If you find yourself looking at your subject, seeing the spot where his eye is and saying to yourself "Well, his eye is there, so I'll draw an eye where it's supposed to be..." then you look at your page and draw an eye, then you are drawing what you think you see, not what you really see.

Look at the eye. First try to guage the distance from the outside of the eye to the top of the brow, to the nose, etc. Then look at the overall shape of the eye. sketch lightly the approximate shape, looking at the angle and length of every curve. Keep noticing where lines are going, what's close to them and how these lines relate to others around them. This is how to draw what you really see, and how to get a basic sense of proportion.

I also agree with going easy on the anthros. As a rule, you should be doing more life studies than things you really want to draw. Even though life studies are great for building up your visual skill, it's always a good idea to keep drawing what you like every so often so that you can relate what you're learning from observation to what you're drawing on your own (not only that but it keeps things fun)

A decent idea is to warm up with at least two life drawings (an image of a man and one of a wolf, to keep things applicable) and then 'treat' yourself by ending the drawing session with a pic you want to do. Just remember, the more you do from life, the quicker you'll improve.

I also find that giving and listening to critiques is a good way to learn some of the broader and 'less definitive' aspects of art, such as direction, composition, theme and such. Stop by the sketches/wip or crit center and lend a hand, let people know what seems out of place etc.

Glad to have you here, hope to see you improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meep. Jules... draw non-cool things to get better at drawing cool things? ...I dunno if that kind of stuff works...

Texahol - Uhh... none of that... has been drawn on the computer; but I can understand how you came to that conclusion. It's due to the thickness of the lines you saw, particularly on the 2500, and stylized one at the bottom. Truth is; not on the computer (Save for the colouring). That was just a inking pen I got from a kit somewhere; I've recently purchased a newer pen with a lot finer line; which reflects a lot more nicely on the more recent pics. They are a bit better looking... but I'm still working on colouring. Believe me... I know that using a tablet is no way to learn how to draw, and I'd be proud to be able to draw the wa I've currently been doing (which isn't saying much) with a mouse. >.> It's the illusion of using Photoshop functions.

Rhineville - You don't want me to use my imagination when I draw? Just... draw what I see. Bah. What am I supposed to use my head for? Meep. But I guess I can drawing a few less foxers... anyhow, I'd love to get more critiques, but sadly... DA isn't the best for it, well, it seems anyhow. I'm usually quite good at analyzing things, it's just the transference into the fingers, I think some of it gets lost somewhere. I did gain a couple pounds recently... I wonder if that's hidden talent... but I guess it's time to branch out.

But hopefully some of this other stuff shows some improvement.

Last edited by Wild; May 25th, 2007 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. My little sketchbook got majorly fubarred. Apparently, it thought two of my crappy pictures should become the icons for AIM and Yahoo. I really don't know what to blame this on. Maybe it hates me for not posting for a couple months. @.@

Anyhow... as requested... I did draw a sock. And less Red people eaters. Some of the stuff I upload is junk I see. But... I'm surprised I did a portrait or two.

And in case anyone is wondering what the Emo is doing in there. That, is Emo Odin. My lousiest concept ever.

Last edited by Wild; May 5th, 2008 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wild, you have chosen one of the toughest areas of concept art. To make your creatures convince the viewer that they could exist, you need to really understand human anatomy AND the anatomy of the other animal.

Try drawing a page of humans from life or from photo refs as accurately as you can; then draw a page of wolf studies from refs, or a page of dogs from life, if you own one.

THEN try one drawing combining the two and look at it. Does the figure look as if it could turn its head? Would its joints bend the way they need to? It's a really tricky illusion to pull off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Moar...

Well, I'm not doing all Fur stuff anymore. ^_^ As some people mentioned, time to branch out a little. So, I thought I'd post some of my more recent stuff. ^_^

I... might actually be improving. I don't know how to take that...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo. Ur figures is not very bad. But ur anatomy. Dude- study anatomy! Find pictures, draw it, draw it. from diferent positions sides and perspectives. Also study some shading. Oh and check my sb when you can, i'd like to get a comm from u

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you're posting again, and that you did a few studies of objects and portraits. This is the stuff I hope to see you post more of here.
    Right now I can't think of anything to say to you other than what I, and others, have previously said.
    So, some more good anatomy books for you are Loomis and Bridgeman. I would suggest checking them out. They're definitely worth it and you'll find them quite useful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of a new lot. Tell me what you think please. ^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. I see improvement in your figures with the progression of posts, but don't be afraid to take a break from your anthros and concentrate on drawing people from anatomy books. I'm not much of a fur artist, but I noticed the anatomy on the anthros I drew drastically improve after learning human anatomy better.

Also, you stated that you liked to hide your hands and feet if possible. I note a lot of curled up fists, too. hands are not easy, nor are feet, but the only way to defeat them is to face them! Like any other aspect of anatomy, the only way to get it right is to get it wrong several times through practice. I also highly agree with the poster who stated to draw some life references of wolves and foxes, and then some of humans, and to try and mix the two together. I used to draw anthros because I was afraid of drawing the human face.

I'm going to state, too, that you down yourself far too much. Instead of saying "this is crap!" go "I can improve in this area" and DO IT! Also, you don't want people to walk in with a prejudice against your art that it sucks. Study anatomy more and more, and attempt variety. Let's see some female figures, too

My sketchbook! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166709

If you want follow up critique/comments, feel free to send me a PM or post on a thread of mine! I might not realize you need it, otherwise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meep. You're right. I suppose I need to be a bit more confident. ^-^ And I'll get around to those hands and feet... eventually... >.> I'm just waiting to find an anatomy book I'd like to see. Thanks for the advice. ^_^ It's not something I'm used to on dA. But as asked... a human. ^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little piece I call... Sound Ninja

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A piece I call 'Cosplay'. Wanted to do something coloured... and humourous. =p I like the job on the hair, and the work I did in Photoshop was very helpful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was trying for something I don't normally do. =p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on some colouring... and doing some stuff on the tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newest piece is in the first post. Please... if you can offer any critiques... that'd be very appreciated. ^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good!, your understanding of muscles is not that bad, keep it up and youll get better, dont get discouraged !!

Visit www.fineart.sk and study loomis books sarting with "succesfull drawing", and keep with pencil for now, leave colours for later, study how to light objects, and keep creating and having fun. Do some excersizes lighting some simple objects like speheres and boxes, and then try lighting your figures. After that you should try to learn perspective wich is not hard at all compared to other things. Then do start with anatomy study.

Keep it up, you have a britght future if you keep with the desire to get better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wild,

it's nice to see that you're excited about what you're doing and that you want to improve, but it seems like you're taking a very conservative approach to your own improvement. in the second to last post, you hid the character's left hand behind it's leg. don't do that!

why don't you try some simple referenced hand sketches? don't worry about detail or coloring, just sketch what you see and use it as a guide in the future.

good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best thing to tell you is to keep workin on it, keep practicing. Keep up the pencil and paper stuff also.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.