Thanks

a question about doing Card Game illos, magic, WoW, ect

hey guys. im curious about something.

i recently took a temporary job at a health food store here in california(where i recently moved to).

It pays little pay, (though a bit above average for the area), but they work ya like SLAVES!!! (im no stranger to hard work, but this is the stupid kinda where you have to be extra smiley and wear a little tight outfit and push stuff that i would NEVER eat in my lifetime...anyway)

there are a couple conventions coming up, and id like to make some extra money for them, so i was wondering exactly how do you get a job doing freelance artwork for trading cards? i hear its about 100$ per card, which isnt much, but if i get crankin, im sure i can make pretty good money doing this, as well as boost my speed and technique, and build my portfolio at the same time. I know a lot of you guys here have done similar things and i was wondering......who do i talk to?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    find the art directors and show/send them your work.
    WotC has an art drop on their site. All the AD look through it at least once a week.
    WoW (from what i know of it) the Card Game is a new venture that may or may not continue depending on it's success. alls i know is the artwork for the first wave is due this week, so you and I missed out on it.
    There are other companies like Fantasy Flight, White Wolf, etc.
    Do some research and get the names of people whom to send work to.

Thanks
    there are lots of companies that make card games. the big games like magic and WoW pay well, 800 bucks a card and up. fantasy flight makes a bunch of card games, and they often hire fresh, untried freelancers, but i have only had bad dealings with fantasy flight. they pay crap, 100 bucks a card, and treat artists like crap.

AEG (alderac entertainment group), makes several card games. they pay slightly better thatn fantasy lfight, i think 175 a card. i know alot of people who work for them. White wolf also makes a card game(dont know how much they pay). And lastly Sabretooth games makes 2-3 card games, and i think they pay pretty well.

Triking games makes agame called Anachronism, but that requires alot of research and historical fidelity.

Hidden city games makes a game called Clout Fantasy, and they also hire freelancers for illos.

your best bet is to go to their websites and look for their submission info. Another option is going to gencon Socal, which i think is coming up. most if not all of these companies will be there, and theres a god chance their AD's will be there looking through portfolios. I HIGHLY recommend going to gencon to pick up this type of work(although ive only been to Gencon Indy).

good luck

mike

Thanks
    Thanks for the info here guys, these are questions I've been pondering as well. I actually did some work for FFG for they're recent "A Game of Thrones" game. I have had a good experience so far. I do hear it takes a while to get paid but they tell you that in the begining. 30 days AFTER PUBLICATION.

Good luck in the hunt!

Thanks
    to be fair, i have a few illustratotr friends with nothing but praise for FFG. but. i think it doesnt hurt to be wary. they def screwed me over a few times, and now i dont work with them anymore.

mike

Thanks
    I hear ya. I actually just had a major problem with being paid for some work I did recently so I understand why it is good to be cautious. I'm waiting to see if this gets resolved.....Now I'm the one that's giving tight deadlines. heh. The irony hasn't slipped past me. Too bad it's not the funny kind though.

Thanks
    I got a question. Anyone know the email to send submissions to AEG? I've never been able to find one anywhere. Of course I'm sure that's for a reason.
    Last edited by jfwalls; October 9th, 2006 at 11:26 PM.