Thanks

Question Desaturate Tool in Painter 8

Re-asking the question...

In Painter 8, I can't figure out how to simply desaturate using a (photo?) tool. (what I want to desaturate's on a layer).

Basically, I want to be able to desaturate like in Photoshop, using a brush that (de)saturates.

I've tried Photo/Saturation Add with all possible numbers and combinations, and it only adds saturation. In 7, if you tweaked some parameters you could turn anything in color into its grayscale version.

I've try Photo/Colorizing using black or white and it doesn't work.

I've looked for other tools but can't find anything other than selecting the shape and using a menu (pain in the ass).

I'm pretty sure there's a way, but I haven't found it and the help doesn't point out to anything (obvious). I don't have the manual for 8. Seven worked slightly differently, so its manual's not useful in this case.

? clues ?

ty.

C.
    Cyril Van Der Haegen - www.tegehel.org

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi tegehel,

I'm still waiting for my Painter 8 version to arrive, so I don't know if the brushes I've created in Painter 7 will function the same in Painter 8.

In Painter 7, it is the grain slider which, when used in combination with the Sat Add Brush plugin, provides the means to saturate and de-saturate;
    0% grain= de-saturation
    50% grain= neither desat. or resat.
    100% grain= re-saturation (plus greyscale values to red).

I have created a library of four brushes which are based on an original de-saturating brush by Francesco Franceschi. Two brushes de-saturate, and two re-saturate/turn greyscale values to red. The brushes may or may not function the same in Painter 8, and please let me know either way.

To install the brushes, first unzip the folder and copy this as is to your 'Brushes' folder in either Painter 7 or 8. Do not place the folder inside another brush folder (already inside the main brushes folder). The library may then be loaded via the 'load library' function in the brushes palette.

Click here to down load brushes.

NB. if they don't work for you in version 8, they maybe of use to someone working with Painter 7.

David

Thanks

Thumbs up YES!

Awesome. I never thought of associating grain with saturation, but then again...

Thank you so much, that will help a lot. I have downloaded the brushes and will try them in 8, see if they work (I remember having read somewhere that brushes from 7 and 8 might not be compatible, but I don't recall where).

Excellent work, Watson! thanks again...

C.

...and now, onto a new adventure of Tegehel vs Painter 8's evil UI of death (dramatic music here).

:electric:

Thanks
    Below is a description of how the brushes interact;

The function of the brushes is to either de-saturate or re-saturate colour already applied to the canvas or layer. When using the De-saturate brush on a fully saturated colour it will convert to white. Less saturated colours take on intermediate greyscale values.

In the case of the 'Resat_Plus Grey to Red' brush, going over an original 'non-greyscale' colour will increase the saturation value. An unusual feature of this brush is that when applied over an existing greyscale value (including white canvas), the underlying pixels will be transformed to a shade of red.

Below is a demo image which better illustrates this;

Desaturate Tool in Painter 8

In the above example;

'O' = Original colour laid down on the canvas or layer.
    '1' = Greyscale value after going over original colour with 'De-saturate' brush.
    '2' = Colour after going over the original 'greyscale values' with the 'Resat_Plus Grey to Red' brush.
    '3' = Colour intensity after going over original 'non-greyscale value' with 'Resat_Plus Grey to Red' brush.

Please forgive me if I have incorrectly used the words 'colour', 'value' and 'intensity' incorrectly (still a noob )

David

Thanks
    that's perfectly fine. thanks again, Sandman.

Silly me, but why would you ever resat to red? (even if you saturate to death, so to speak, I don't think photoshop turns anything to red per se, but to the color's extreme, which might change hue indeed, but not necessarily to red).

This is not important, but I was wondering about why the red.

C.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tegehel
    that's perfectly fine. thanks again, Sandman.

Silly me, but why would you ever resat to red? (even if you saturate to death, so to speak, I don't think photoshop turns anything to red per se, but to the color's extreme, which might change hue indeed, but not necessarily to red).

This is not important, but I was wondering about why the red.

C.
    A good question

I just mentioned it as a perculiarity of the brush. The only use I can think of where something like this has been used was in a TV ad. The film footage was black and white, but they couloured a child's hat and coat red in order to focus the viewer's attention :bars:...pretty limited I guess.

David