Sketchbook: What's this..."reset" button?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What's this..."reset" button?

Oy, oy. Starting a new sketchbook, as the old one, well, sucked. Also, I've been picking up some momentum in my art lately, so I feel confident in starting this sucker up.

I just have a request or two: if you're going to comment and suggest I study or do studies, please tell me why. I'm not adverse to doin' 'em at all, and have been fitting them into my drawing schedule lately, I just wanna know what's going on before being told to go back to square one. Sometimes it seems like people just say that stuff like it's a kneejerk reaction to entering a sketchbook. Please feel free to tell me how horrible I'm doing or how much I need to get back to basics, just give me something to go off of.

Some ortho-ish stuff I've had to do lately, to start off with.

Generic ninja character for a student game I'm working on for a class. It took me a while to work out a color scheme that worked around the red scarf, (needed to keep that, as it pops against the stage backgrounds,) so I went with a good ole fashioned triadic one, and played with some quick color definition. Funstuff. The art style of the game is manga/anime in theme, so don't give me any flak about it!

WIP shot of my entry in the current (as-of-writing) CHOW. Mechano goblin with crazy features. Funny story, as the view on the left was the first time I'd tried doing simply black and white in Photoshop, and it actually turned out pretty nice. (Though a little undefined in spots, I know. Just some things I need to do some studies of.) Big confidence builder to finally see something look nice.

Look forward to more entries as I scan 'em in, y'all.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Nice man glad to see you've started a sketchbook, looking good! try to use multiply as a mod on the layers when you drawing under/over your linework!

Keep it up! I dont have time so I be back laterz with crits/tips and such shit

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile
    Nice man glad to see you've started a sketchbook, looking good! try to use multiply as a mod on the layers when you drawing under/over your linework!

Keep it up! I dont have time so I be back laterz with crits/tips and such shit

~Dile
    Good to hear from you, man. Yeah, I alternate between using multiply over my lines and just drawing under them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the designs alote mate well done Just a little anoyance tho :p Its the right arm on the monster thing its over proportioned compared to the left, still well done.

P.S What did u use to colour the 1st concept?

Favourite Art Software: Photoshop CS2
    Favourite Drawing instrument: Graphite Pencil
    Favourite Paint: Acrylic

Portfolio>> ///////<<Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do anatomy because if you dont know how the stuff underneath the clothes works, the muscles and bones, you will never be able to figure why the body behaves the way it does.Each new drawing will be a new problem, if you do figurative art studies , you will learn the rules the muscles and body follow and then you will be see how even complex and newer figure drawings in cloth and whatevr else can be so easy.I have done it and i know it helps.Now that doesnt mean you ignore the clothed figure , you should also do drapery and cloth study alog with the anatomy and figure art.

Going back to basics is helpful because you will understand why do you draw what you draw?ITs to understand why ....Man always seek the answer to a WHY? and all the times answers lie in the basics, not just in art, but the whole life and universe.Like, to know how the universe works you have to understand first how atoms , protons and electrons work.
    Basic help you when you are having a creative slump , like you are having a problem with pose, you go back to basics, you draw the chest like and eg and the pelvis almost like a cube then you join arms and like tubes .And you get the pose you were looking for .
    In shading just think so many things are there in the worlf , just imagine how had it will be if you have to remember how all the things react to the fall of light. A normal person would go nuts , thats why we compare them to BASIC shapes like squares, cubes, cones and the sort.Look at the studies doen by all the classical artist , you will see how much they emphasised and relied on the basics.

I think I have given you enough reasons to go back to the basics.

ANd now the critting,the art looks good but the overlining bothers my eye.Dunno if its just me though.the color compositon looks good.The pose looks a bit out of balance.But overall a very good start.

Remember practice is the key, the only journey to your destination, there is no other journey that will take you to the good places other than practice.Which leads to another point , enjoy the journey, the practice , cause if you dont ,the destination wont be fun.

Bhanu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sprigner. Heh, his right arm...(well, it's his left, actually,) is supposed to be a good deal longer than the other one. I'll consider making it stand out more if the difference doesn't seem clear enough. Also, the ninja is linework colored over in Photoshop. I mostly just did it in a few minutes playing with colors and all.

Thanks for the tirade, Bhanu. I'm sure there are a bunch who needed to hear that. Myself, the message at the beginning of my post is more about getting specific reasons to do these things. I've been through the basics pretty thoroughly, so I'd mostly like to hear a specific mistake I'm making that causes people to say I should do more studies and such than I'm already doing.
    As far as the linework standing out so much, I'm curious myself about it in the Goblin design. Trying to get a more believable look than usual, so I'd probably be better off scrapping the lines when I'm able. The pose for the Goblin might also look off balance; this isn't much of an issue as it's an ortho and the task is to draw the character in that sort of pose anyway. I kind of wanted to make the design feel like he'd be draggin' that long arm around anyway, y'see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished Chow entry, wooh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: The link is inside CA.org, no worries, just didn't want to upload the same image twice so I linked to where it already was.

Attachment 41429

Linework uploaded for the sake of doublechecking how it looks. Probably going to be doing an illustration/sprite series on this fellah for my portfolio.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.