Thanks

Red face My art future...

I need some advice from my fellow artists. Im in my senior year of High School and I'm thinking about where I wanna go. I love concept art, although I may not be great at it, I do love it and I've got plenty of time to improve. My hope is to get a job working for a movie company, or a game company. However, I really dont enjoy 3D modelling, but I know that developers like well rounded artists . I plan to get a degree in Illustration or with a focus in it in college. Now, take everything I've just said, challenge anything you dont like and give me some ideas, please.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i was in the same boat as you at the end of high school.. I wanted a concept job, eventually made my way to the art dept, and graduated. I worked freelance illustration for awhile until i got a fulltime job last week. Some people say that game companies only look for people that can 3d model as well as draw.

But...i just got hired as a concept artist at EA Mythic, not knowing a lick of 3d modelling.

Now i think its a good skill to know, and can only help you in this increasingly technologically oriented society. But if you dont want to learn it, then dont. Focus on what you like.

mike

Thanks
    I'm sure 3D modelling isn't entirely necessary to learn when you go out and try and find a concept art career like that, is it?

In any case, if you don't enjoy it, you don't have to stick to it. Just do what you like to do and stick to your ambition. Out there, there will be some companies that will accept you for your already existing talents. Trust me

Good luck with College!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Condit
    I'm sure 3D modelling isn't entirely necessary to learn when you go out and try and find a concept art career like that, is it?

In any case, if you don't enjoy it, you don't have to stick to it. Just do what you like to do and stick to your ambition. Out there, there will be some companies that will accept you for your already existing talents. Trust me

Good luck with College!
    Alot of upstart companies (where's alot of young artists get thier break) can't afford to employ a full time concept artist and 3D modeller. Also, if a company has 2 amazing young 2d artists, and one can do 3D stuff as well, the job would more than likely go to the one with more skill. I would'nt put 3D work out of your head entirely until you've tried it. maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Clikee the linky in my siggy. . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the replies. I am somewhat familiar with 3d modelling, but nothing major. I guess the first thing i should do is go practice, follow your bliss right?