DSG 1133: Seasonal Fantasy: GIANT, TREE-LIKE BEAST SHEDS ITS LEAVES IN THE AUTUMN
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DSG 1133: Seasonal Fantasy: GIANT, TREE-LIKE BEAST SHEDS ITS LEAVES IN THE AUTUMN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 467 Posts
    Follows
    Following

DSG 1133: Seasonal Fantasy: GIANT, TREE-LIKE BEAST SHEDS ITS LEAVES IN THE AUTUMN

[ 'Just inspired by the tree outside my apartment... ]

[ You should make this a whole scene... ]

[ Maybe make some little people underneath it raking what they can away. ]

[ That sort of thing. ]

Seasonal Fantasy: GIANT, TREE-LIKE BEAST SHEDS ITS LEAVES IN THE AUTUMN

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seasonal Fantasy eh? lol. That's the stuff.

Fortunately my morning was filled with autumn trees. I doubt I'll be able to start on mine until much later though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOOOOOOOH....this thread is gonna be maaaaarvelous!!!

Last edited by Camara; October 8th, 2006 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Autumn isn't easy on Ents, as the weather turns cool, immune systems are weakened and even the tree giants might catch a cold, and sneeze what's left of their foliage.
    painter, 30?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, been away all week and missed some great topics. Can't wait to have a go at this one in the morning. Me thinks it'll generate alot of cool entries. 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this guy it turns out is another of the carniverous plants. After sheding its leaves it turns to another food source than the sun, flesh. Here is has just awakened from its extended summertime hibernation only to see some unsuspecting picnicers conviniently nearby.

I'd really like to work on this more, towards finished, but I'm just submitting now as I seriously doubt that I'll have the time to finish this anytime soon.
    Being in fl I miss out on all the leaf changing action :/.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first post on conceptart.org, crits welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even trees panic about losing their hair.

first post, just started doing digital

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Listen--

I know you have to go on this "quest" of yours... yeah... yeah I know the future of the village depends on it. YES. I KNOW. Listen! Just listen to me for a second, will you?

I don't care what dark lord you've got to dispatch or who-evers it is you must avenge using some-such ancient blade of long-forgotten power, or whatever. Just don't go into those marshes at night! ...You don't understand- those trees- they're not trees! Yes, I am serious. Haven you ever noticed how fleshy those trees look? Well guess what- that's because they're flesh, numbskull. Nope. Not bark or wood- living flesh. That moss? those leaves? merely decoration!

Yes! Really! They're giant frog things! ... I dunno. I just always call them Tree-beasts. No, I'm not undergoing some sort of "seasonal fantasy." Their leaves- they're the larvae of these things. Like little babies! The beasts shake their branches this time of year- in the autumn, to shake off the little beasties so they can swim away and grow into monstrosities themselves.

And the lights! Surely you've seen them! You've heard the tales of the glowing fruit. Lies! Yes! Really! It's not fruit at all- it's bait! watch and see- when a racoon comes close to paw what he thinks is a deliciously sweet-smelling fruit, glowing softly in the night... Shee-KLAP! That racoon is gone! The sounds of muck and wet earth sluuuurping to fill a hole, and all that's left is the light- swinging slowly, and some "leaves" rustling and falling off.

Listen, I know it sounds crazy. If you have to pass through that marsh- just avoid the lights! No matter how hungry you are, no matter how sweet the smell- don't go near-- hey! Come back here! JUST BE CAREF-- ... hmph. Adventurers. They're all the same.

Good Riddance!

PS CS, about an hour. Time for Bed!
    LOL, i wanted to do a size comp:

OK, I can't promise I can keep doing this always but I'll try and hit everyone:

Hamsta: Fun idea! I think you could better convey the sneeze in a more drastic pose and maybe put the viewer a bit further away to see the tree's reaction. I just imagine a couple walking through the park and hearing a HUGE sneeze- and the only thing around is a big tree. They keep walkinga and then hear an equally huge sniffle. That would be a funny illustration, lol.

Lizzybeth: Nice idea- and the critter isn't half-bad. It's just hard to see exactly what he's doing and how he's doing it. Try to think about the composition as a whole instead of just portraying him in profile. That's hard to do- but it's good to keep in mind. For example, I would probably lowered the viewer to the level of the critter and much closer- maybe have a panicking picnicker (try saying that three times fast) running at an angle towards the viewer and another being snatched up by the beast. Having the beast in an up-shot makes him look all the more "huge" and beastly.

sarillion: Welcome to CA! Nice first post, as well- I like his pose. The gesture of walking head-down, slowly plodding along as a cat watches. Hope to see more of your stuff soon!

CagedZero: WELCOME TO CA! Let me begin by saying your post- the beautiful marriage of that freaked out tree and your simple blurb, made me laugh a few times. Very funny! Artistically however, there are some big issues with the horizon, value, and just general construction of the beast. Knowing that you are just starting off, let me encourage you to observe things in your life and draw them! See how forms intersect with one another, how light falls on these. Currently there is no real sense of value or depth- everything is very saturated and that strange "marbleing" in the color doesn't really do anything except add some visual complexity to an otherwise very flat composition. That being said, keep at it, CagedZero! Observe and draw draw draw- leave the tablet alone and go outside with a paper and pencil and draw something, taking note of what is in light and what is in shadow. I am looking forward to your next post! One sketch at a time!

AlphaDMF: Nice to see a whole scene- good work on that. The sense of scale is good too- those poeple look tiny! Good job on following William's prompt to- you definitely did that a lot better than I, lol. However- Your creature is really hard to read, I'm afraid- his pose kind of looks like he might be suspended from something- but then again his mass is mostly just scribbled lines, so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on here. You're using mostly "symbolic shapes" as well, by that I mean the sort of generalized "everyone will know what this is supposed to be" shapes of things- the tree looks like an old pat tree, same with the leaves, the legs and claws of the beast, etc. Is this what these things really look like? I encourage you to do the same as I urged CagedZero- go outside and observe. see how leaves really look, how no two trees are alike! Most of all, don't get frustrated- we are all here to learn and get better- and all of us could do with more practice. Just draw draw draw! Keep creating, keep drawing, and most of all keep having fun at it. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Good job, all. One sketch at a time, we'll make it!

-Andrew

Edited for grammer... I wanted to make sense. lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following

added about 30 minutes of clean up after feedback
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1880/treety3.jpg
    orginal 40 minutes PS CS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle_King
    Edited for grammer... I wanted to make sense. lol.
    what? you can't mean that, can you?

Added:
    sarillion I like the naturalistic chaos in your character, something I missed in my own I think. Anyway welcome to the DSG, stick around

CagedZero welcome to the DSG.

Waffle_King I like the beast and again stories are ftw, but the landscape feels somewhat flat and stale (perhaps some textures?). & serious thumbs up for all the critique you are posting without getting negative; something I battle with and often loose out to (forcing me to purge the comments)

burrito I really like the design, makes me bubbly inside

Knight Vision Please give me shadows

Last edited by dan liimatta; October 10th, 2006 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine was a rushed one today, it started off black and white, but I got too tempted to add autumn colours to shape the mood better, thus reducing the impact of my inteded crosshatching effect, cheers for the comment and advice, I shall have to take observation into consideration more as I usually prefer to let my imagination to do the talking

As far as crits go I am fairly rubbish at them, but I think the ent design is too frequented, perhaps it would be better to merge a quadruped creature that consumes the leaves, with a tree, or simiuler, I dont know. anyways good work so far everyone

Last edited by AlphaDMF; October 9th, 2006 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I rushed the "raking druid", leaves, and environment. I'll try to redo/improve this if I get the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sarillion - that is awesome no crit just awesome

Last edited by William b. Hand; October 9th, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another first post:

A large herbivore from a planet/fantasy world with highly contrasting seasons. When the year swings from baking summer to bitter winter, the creature sheds its heat-radiating scales to reveal frayed, insulating versions.

Last edited by Vermis; October 9th, 2006 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face 10 Minute Sketch

2nd Wacom Sketch, Yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks, first post from me I think. Just discovered the daily sketch group and felt compelled to draw!

Not very original, but I had fun! Done in Open Canvas and Photoshop, about 2 hours I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, again another very inspiring thread. it made me think of the Ents from lord of the rings, or even more about the Great Deku Tree, a character from one of my favorite video games!!! oops, that's off-topic haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    def wont be ale to keep it up, but whatever-- i still have they honeymoon jitters for conceptart.org...

Hamsta: love the concept! waffle_king had some good things to say about composition, and i'd like to see a bit more contrast in shadows.. but it made me laugh oh, and your avatar is awesome!

Lizzybeth: nice use of colors. i'd like to see a composition of this with the weight being on the left side of the canvas rather than the right, as the eye is naturally drawn to the right and putting weight on the left will help to balance it better. as with Hamsta, consider pushing your shadows a bit more.

CagedZero: you win the chuckle award (or the laugh out loud award for those who dont yet think lol is overused). what you lack in perspective and contrast you made up for me in expression. that being said, the others are right, check out some real world trees for proportion and think about the perspective you want in a real environment. then go back and tweak the environment to fit your theme.

AlphaDMF: i like the concept of scale. what i dont like is that there's a lack of clear definition in your forms. if you increased the opacity of your paint tool and drew some quick outlines it would solve this problem and still preserve the sketchy style of the composition.

Waffle_King: inspired by deep sea creatures? let me be the one to ask the obvious question love the story. the composition is well balanced because of the glowing tree in the background, the mountain, and the moon (take notes kids). composition is something i struggle with so hats off to you for that. not much to crit as this is just a sketch... if you were taking it further id say put some reflected light on the trunks of all those trees in the background but whatever. i tend to get carried away

Burrito: wonderful. in both senses of the word. are those wings or horns on its head?

Dan Liimatta: excellent job on shadows! i would like to see about a half-inch to an inch more composition on the right side however. the clipping where it is just bothers my eye, and it draws your tree-figure's face out of the 1/3 position which would probably have helped with that. beautifully rendered fingers. i wish i could digitally paint like that.

Knight Vision: i love how the tree creature is trying to sneak away while shedding all these leaves. reminds me of a dog around his master after chewing up the couch. 'i know i shouldnt have, but it chewd up so nicely...' maybe draw the tree closer to the druid on the plane, allowing for more perspective in the background.

Vermis: beautifully (and very cleanly) rendered. extremely original concept. well done.

Laujzhuaster: love the expression. id like to see some background rather than just a grey field. for second time using a wacom this isnt bad at all. mine would be a series of scribbles overlapping.

Jon E.G.: love the color, shadows etc. i just wanted this to be a perfectly symmetrically balanced composition. the pose your tree creature has leads me to that... and then it isnt. consider bringing elements like that dark tree closer to the center next time as its killing the visual balance... either that or lighten it considerably.

Goran: hot dang. how long did this take you? and what medium did you use?

forgive the misspellings... having a deep convo on aim atm ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crap... i better get my act together.... later this afternoon, lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @sarillion-I did this in one hour ,texture my textures ,some
    adjusting in Photoshop and inking in open canvas.
    I am cheater.

@Vermis-Very clean line work ,love the melancholic autumn look of the
    creature.

When I was young, I could do all-nighters in my sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bravo Goran! The tree looks concerned, hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lizzybeth - Nice creature... Good clouds. I wish the background and branches were a bit further fleshed out, but thas okay. I dig the explanation.

burrito - Very cute... It's a bit unclear what's happening in his crotch area, and it's not really apparent to me that he's lost his leaves... Maybe if you left a few more on his branches, and showed a couple in the act of falling, that might help communicate the thing. Background's a bit yucky... A quick fix on that might be a little use of the blur tool to drop it back. Keeping the edges of the creature crisp will pop him forward. Try cranking up the contrast and see if you get some positive effects from that... Upping the hue saturation might also be helpful. Also, tossing in a little person for scale is an easy way to transform our interpretation of him. Just a few ideas.

dan liimatta - Took me a little while to figure out how to interpret this... The surrounding branches are awfully chaotic to look at... I rather think that this might benefit from cropping it somewhat or from expanding the canvas so that it doesn't seem so crowded in there. Cool creature otherwise.

Knight Vision - I wish you'd put more leaveses into the picture... But, I like his face. I know you rushed the figure, but I think it adds a nice narrative to the pic. It doesn't bother me that you have the trunk run right up off the canvas, and there's a very pleasing movement to the limb shapes and placement.

Vermis - Great first post. Although the rear legs seem anatomically confusing, and I wish this was in colour, I love the over-all concept and execution. As I said to somebody else, this would benefit from a little figure or two to have some size comparison.... I appreciate to confidence of your lines, and the character in your creature. Good job, and Welcome!

laujzhuaster - Please spend more time than 10 minutes on these. This might've been decent if you'd put in at least half an hour... a full hour would be even better.

Jon e.g. - I love the purpley grey of the sky contrasted with the amber leaves. Symmetry is your enemy in this pic... in the future, you might try to show a more dynamic pose, or at least some significant variation from right to left. I'm not sure if you were trying to communicate a perspective of looking up at the creature from far below or not... If so try to remember that the viewer would be seeing the underside of the face instead of seeing it straight on, and the chest would probably appear much smaller. Maybe you weren't shootin' fer that, but the huge hands seems to suggest that you were. Oh, and welcome.

goran - Good use of textures, as usual... Cute character. I wonder if maybe he's actually upset that the kite, which had been stuck in his branches all summer, has finally blown away? Might make a nice addition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since Hamsta and dan liimatta were a bit disappointed yesterday, I put some more effort into this one, hope you like. 30 min for sketching, 1 1/2 in PS:

Hamsta - funny concept, it gives a lot of personality to the ents. for the painting, your style is always pretty loose (which is fine) but sometimes also a bit vague (where I sometimes crave for a bit more detail)
    Lizzybeth - nice senery and good concept
    sarillion - welcome aboard! excellent sketch, this guy "works"/looks very believable despite it's twinde, asymmetrical body
    Caged Zero - Welcome aboard too! funny scene. Watch your values, in your pic they're despite some texture very equal, making it appear flat. Keep on drawing, get yourself a sketchbook (analogue, not digital) and post as much as you can
    AlphaDMF - As Waffleking pointed out, I first didn't notice the creature runs away from me. That's partly becaus of the branches on it's back that alter the silhouette in an unusual way, but also due to the technique, which gives very jittered edges.
    Waffle King - beautiful pic and great concept( are you practicing for the Hypno-COW?) Great lighting, just like yesterday.
    burrito - beautiful. love that silly bunny-ent
    dan liimatta - lots and lots of energy in this one and a great face - Kudos.
    Knight Vision - Pretty nice pose on the tree. Overall, I find the brushwork a bit blurry, but the rendering on the tree is good.
    Vermis - welcome aboard for the third time! Excellent linework, your creature's design is fabulous.
    laujzhuaster - good expression, not bad for such a short amount of time
    Jon e.g - welco...forget it, that sketch is to good, you got to leave Very nice lighting and design and scene!
    goran - I dig your BW-pieces, the tree's expression is great and it looks highly realistic
    Crustacean - very nice mood, to me it looks like he's casting a spell/performing magic

Last edited by demdike; October 10th, 2006 at 11:24 AM.
    this space - for rent

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    demdike Great one, dude! I love the suggestion of something boarish, without actually looking like a boar. Really cool. Knot-work is excellent also. Whole thing's cool. Nice to see the little fellow there for scale. Include a shadow next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well!!Late again!!Ok,first,this was going to be a fast sketch,but i liked the concept and I want to spend more time with it.I think i´m gonna spend many hours with Painter to make something good with it.

Dead of an ancient Tree.

Awesome work,everybody!!!

Demdike,I love your concept!!!

Last edited by Camara; October 11th, 2006 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Autumn Dragon

A little late on this one so I just posted the line work. the fantasy headline just popped dragons and gnomes into my head, so I went with it.

Goran- I really loved you b&w, Great movement
    and Demdike I like the massiveness or your tree creature, has a good presence to it.

Demdike pointed out that the underpainting was too distracting so I'm posting just the ink.

Last edited by Skolld; October 9th, 2006 at 11:24 PM.
    'Quis Custodiet ipsos Custodes'

www.dotsonstudio.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1