Sketchbook: Mad Giraffe's Daily Doodle-{BIG DUMP FURTHER DOWN P.1}

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mad Giraffe's Daily Doodle-{BIG DUMP FURTHER DOWN P.1}

Okay so there it is, I've cut trough the Gordian knot!
    Form today on I will be doing a mandatory doodle everyday and (trying to) make each one better then the last!

But first, let me introduce my humble and rookie-ish self. Read my profile!

Next to that, I'm currently a proud to be first year student at HKU(dutch abbreviation) Game Design and Development, which is the best one my country has to offer.

So, let's start of with a gallery people can look trough (don't mind the clutter please, and don't look to much, don't want my bandwidth limit exeeded...):

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/MadGiraffe2/

And a first doodle to really get this thread started:

"Gryargarhar? I think he's over there somewhere. Nice hat by the way."

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mad Giraffe; October 11th, 2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: jumping on the bandwagon for titling...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And another crappy doodle by crappy me....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First thing that I noticed would be that your darks are basically outlined. Say, for instance, on the giraffe's mouth, the darks should roll out and form the lips. So you can see the shape as it rolls into light. The same with the eyes. Other than that, just a bit of tightening up here and there to make them a bit less blurry. Nice start and welcome to the boards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madplanet
    First thing that I noticed would be that your darks are basically outlined.
    Heh, yeah, I first lay out a negative space with black, and then define the drawing with all greys...so my pictures tend to come up very dark and contrasty.

Say, for instance, on the giraffe's mouth, the darks should roll out and form the lips.So you can see the shape as it rolls into light. The same with the eyes.
    True true, like one of my art teachers once said:

"There is no lineart in real life!"

Other than that, just a bit of tightening up here and there to make them a bit less blurry.
    True, 'tis one of my main flaws, alas as I am still young and inexperience.d With a slight tense of impatience and sloppyness in drawing I tend to do that a lot. And ideas on how to get rid of my sketchy and blurry behaviour?
    And make my strokes count, because I'm finding that a pretty tedious and nonfluent way to work...

...aggravated at artists who can, in a whim pull out a few perfect strokes, which don't need to be changed...and changed...and changed...gah.

Nice start and welcome to the boards.
    Thanks! Although I've been here longer then you, I just post less .

Thanks for the commenting!

I've edited my hyenagiraffe a bit, adding detail and more contrast. And a slight more 'roll' on the lips .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, ha, I didn't even notice that you have been here longer! That'll teach me to be more obsrvant.

You're getting there with that update, but I would work it some more, so that it gradually forms out of the darks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3rd page already!? Shame on me!

I'm kind of getting sick and tired of my incompetence in drawing by the way. So I'm wanting to turn in a new direction.

YOU HEAR THAT PROFESSIONALS!? IM COMING FOR YOU! (*echo*)

Here's a quick sketch, which I'm definately going to expand enhance and elaborate and add a body.

edit-resized for readability (you really didn't want to se those brush strokes filling your screen now)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool work here- I'm really liking that giraffe-hyena. I like the different tonal layers you achieved with its skin. Makes for a very cool avatar, indeed. Other than the outlines already mentioned, looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start to your s.b. I'd like to see you post more of your photobucket stuff here so we can see where you are coming from. My advive at this point is to work on your anatomy and do a lot of reference stuff. You'll get big payoffs in the cool imaginative stuff you are doing! Good luck!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    druvid- Thanks! I was thinking of switching avatar though, I guess I'll keep it for now.

I'm working on the outlines right now, just after watching a vid tutorial by Carlos Carbrera, I noticed he just a 50% opacity size-sensitivity brush for sketching. And so I remembered I used to also, but apparently by some unfortunate discovery I started using a 100% opacity opacity-sensitivity brush...big mistake.

So I'm losing that now.

silvestri99- [Great start to your s.b. I'd like to see you post more of your photobucket stuff here so we can see where you are coming from. My advive at this point is to work on your anatomy and do a lot of reference stuff. You'll get big payoffs in the cool imaginative stuff you are doing! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Heh so opinions differ on my start-off, thanks.

Coincidently, I already did a few figure studies yesterday, no reference though (so all the muscles are probably too curvateous).

A recent doodle.

And some wip on something I'm working on right now but having troubles on deciding a background...arg, hate them backgrounds.

Last edited by Mad Giraffe; December 3rd, 2007 at 04:01 AM. Reason: deleted older stuff for irrelevance and cluttering up my sb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem I see with a lot of these is you need to flatten some parts of the image to make it easier to read. Wonderfully creative, and you show some zeal, just gotta work on making your images easier to read.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.