Art: Absolute Rookie: 1st painting ever...beginning of a journey

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down Absolute Rookie: 1st painting ever...beginning of a journey

Hi Everyone,
    I, like everyone else, have been inspired by Andrew Jones (and heavily by the skill of my brother..."Smeagol71" on conceptart.org) to learn to paint...and paint well. I have to say begrudgingly I am tens of years from doing that. HOWEVER, I decided that now is the best time to start and that I should just throw myself into the fray. A 9 x 12 intuos 2 is on it's way to me right now via UPS and I have painter 6 installed on my system...Now I just need to figure out how to paint.

One of the cool things about Andrew Jones is that he constantly posts his work...I am going to do the same...everything I do...whether it sucks horribly I am going to post it...and I am sure people will make fun of some of the stuff I put out because, as of now, I have no idea what I am doing.

But I will number every digital painting I do so that everyone will know what number I am on and hopefully be able to see improvement over the days/months/years. I just think it would be cool to go through the process and get everyone's feedback the entire time. I figure...if everyone is giving me feedback with everything I do...then I probably won't develop bad habits...hehe.

I am enrolled in a couple art classes this semester and next semester I am going to be taking some more at the University of Pennsylvania. I am totally untrained in drawing or painting but have studied film for a while now. So I'd like to think I at least have an art bone somewhere in my body.

At any rate this is literally number 1...I have never (since kindergarten-painting by numbers) painted anything...and so this is my very first attempt. I was using a mouse to do this adjusting the size and pressure of the brush etc... It was done using the trial version of Painter 7. I know this painting sucks...and it probably isn't even worthy to post but hey...it can only get better from here. Any feed back would definitely be appreciated too...I know you must be thinking, "Man...where do I start"...but lay it on me. Thanks...I will be posting again when I create painting number 2...thanks.

p.s. - Any criticism is fine with me...fire away.

Here is the link to the picture:

http://mindcandyman1.tripod.com/

Last edited by MindCandyMan; September 17th, 2002 at 12:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The site won't let me view the picture. I think I'd have to create a user account to view it, which I don't really want to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sorry about that...don't know what's up

MTW: Hey sorry about that mtw...I put the straight up link now so that should work...if it still doesn't work let me know...thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It works now. I haven't used a painting program yet, so that's better than what I can do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Welcome

I have been in your shoes about 3 months ago - I have enroled Conceptart and sarted to learn.
    I'm sorry you have missed the first lessons here but soon Jason (the great Manley) will put up a new lesson and anyone can join.
    Buy also some paper, pencils a mirror, a spotlight and a scanner. I have a guess... you will be doing selfportraits.
    Oh... and don't let it go.

Oblio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Art Lessons

Hi,
    Where do I go to take part in these lessons...will Jason post a couple threads or something? Yeah his work is amazing.

Members who have read this thread: 2