Sketchbook: Windmaker's sketchbook (updated 01.03.08 - mostly lifedrawings)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Windmaker's sketchbook (updated 01.03.08 - mostly lifedrawings)

Hello everyone. My name is Yuriy, I'm 21 and I'm currently studying Applied mathematics, third year at the Technical University here in Sofia, Bulgaria. And I've also been drawing for as long as I can remember. I've never in my life attended a drawing course. I always thought they were boring and... why would I wanna draw teapots and old people when I can draw aliens and monsters?! I mean... who would? Now I'm beggining to see the disadvantages of not being able to draw teapots and old people. Still not going to any courses though. They're a bit pricy.But maybe with a little luck I'll be able to attend a live drawing course soon.

I decided to try and learn proper anatomy so I've started drawing skulls from reference. Only problem is, that with my current tempo I'll move on to the whole skeleton and then the muscles in aboout... twenty years. So yeah... I' m doomed. Or not, if I manage to become the ultimate master of time management! Still working on that though...

So here are the drawings. First one is my avatar, so it can appear on the fancy thumbnail. Next are some skull studies. Then come some face sketches. And then, there are some dwarves I've drawn during lectures in the university (so much for partial differential equations...). And finally there's a model of a dwarf I've done looong looong ago. And the beginings of the texture. And even more finally- there's a bunch of little devils I like to draw when bored. And GIR from "Invader Zim". That's all for now. Hope you'll enjoy Critique is welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images                            
    Last edited by Windmaker; March 1st, 2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Let's try that again

Hello, to you all
    It finally came to me that it isn't real smart to try and get all good before showing your stuff, sooo... I decided to show my stuff before I've gotten real good. So that I may get real good. Or at least write alot.
    First off are some bone studies I did in the last two or three months. Next is a page of hand studies. Some are done while looking at my own hand, and others are done from imagination trying to understand the construction of the hand. It gets more fun when you actually start thinking about the bones underneath all that skin and muscles. Some of the hands are scary.
    Next are a few pencil sketches I've done while at breaks at work (I try to get as many breaks as I can... 'cause I am lazy).
    And next are some digital pieces I've done in the last week.
    I'm really happy about having started work (although not as an artist, but as a game designer), because now I can bug all the artists around me for advice. And since they're all good and helpful- they give me advices. Yay!

And in the next post is a tutorial and two pictures showing my workflow when painting digitally. I hope somebody finds them useful

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tutorial and process...es

I've used Photoshop with two brushes and an Intuos3 A5 tablet.
    For the initial line sketch I used a regular hard-edged round brush with pressure set to control the size of the brush. I've worked with a 100% opacity at this stage.
    After this is somewhat representative of the image I have in mind I take my painting brush which has the shape of a irregular coffin, pressure controls the opacity and flow. When needed I change the brush size manually with the "[" and "]" keys.
    I tend to work at 100% opacity (although the pen pressure still changes it) while blocking in the first values. I set a 75% gray background to draw on so I may put in both darks and lights in the image.
    When the block-in is complete I switch the opacity to around 40% in order to get some blending in the light and shadow shapes where needed.
    After that I work a with with 70% opacity to get more definition where needed.
    And for the final of the grayscale stage I set the opacity to 100% again to cover up the line art and put finishing touches.
    At about that moment I begin laing in colors. I set the brush mode to color and put down the basic colors over the grayscale image. Since this tends to make things look shiny and... metally, I then set the brush mode to soft-light and about 20-40% opacity, pick a shadow color and start accentuating the shadows. Then I set the opacitiy to around 100% again, and while still in soft-light mode i pick a highlight colour and start accentuating the lighter parts of the image.
    At about that time while in "colour" or "soft-light" mode I add colour variations to the skin... or to whatever else needs it. I like putting red at noses and cheeks, so I pick a red colour, lower the opacity to around 20-40% and add it where necessery. I do the same with some bluish hues for around the eyes, yellowish for the forehead, and so on...
    For colour choices for lights and shadows I try to look at a colour wheel while painting. For shadows I choose the colour opposite of my main colour. For example- if my main colour is a bluish green I'll choose a red-orange for the shadows. Only thing is- I make the shadow colours reeeally dark. In Photoshop, I use the HSB(hue saturation brightness) sliders and set the saturation a bit higher, and the brightness- around 30-40% or sometimes even lower. I believe this gives a nice enough result where you see a hint of the shadow colour show through the main one, but it doesn't overpower it.
    For the highlight colours I usually just pick a brighter version of my main colour.
    After all that is done, if I haven't made my grayscale image really nice and smooth and good-looking (which I usually don't) I set my brushmode to normal and with opacity at around 40-70% begin blending things around all the while pressing the "alt" key and picking colours from the picture. After that I set the opacity to 100% again and begin putting in the finishing touches, covering up little mistakes or lineart showing through.
    Here you can see the head at its original size (the whole image is drawn at 2000x3000 pixels at 300dpi).

So, to sum it up:
    Use a hard-edged round brush for sketching.
    Then use a rectangular hard-edged brush with pressure set to opacity for everything else.
    Initial value block in is done a 100% opacity, then we lower it to 40%, then get it back up to 100% for adding finishing touches.
    Then with the same brush at 100% opacity we lay in the main colours using the "colour" brush mode.
    Then we switch to soft-light for adding colour to the shadows and highlights.
    Keep the opacityof the brush and brightnes of the colour low when working with the shadows, so that the shadow colour doesn't overpower the main one.
    Increase the opacity again when colouring the highlights to make them really pop out (when needed, ofcourse).
    Set the brush mode back to normal again and while picking colours from the image and varying the opacity put in the finishing touches.

For the ornaments of the costume I made an ornament brush. There are plenty of brush making tutorials, but if somebody wants to, I'll make one and explain more about my brushes.

If anyone is wondering why I start my images monochrome- it is because I still stink at colour and usually, when I start straight with the colours I end up with a flat muddy image.

If you have any questions or comments- feel free to ask or just... comment.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! That's an impressive body of work! As a general rule, the more often you post; the more likely people are to comment in your sketchbook,- so keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! I really like the way you handle those values. Looks like your anatomy is hurting you in some of the drawings though. Keep working at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuff

Hello again
    alesoun - thanks for the reply. You're right about the frequent posting. Now if I could only stop being lazy...
    fantasyartist - rightly noted. I'm aware of the anatomy problem and I'm trying to resolve it somehow. Drawing models seems to help

I've been experimenting with charcoal pencils this last week, and that's what I've come up with. Not much, but I like it.
    They're in chronoligal order- the last one is the newest.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice bones. I like thoses small deamons...you could make a living with thoses see ya at sofa

My Concept art SKETCHBOOK

My TSOFA sketchbook

Painting is just like an after-dinner speech. If you want to be remembered, say one thing and stop. -Hawthorne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cookies!

Solon - Glad you like the bones I'm starting to earn a strange reputation drawing bones all day at work... And the little guys rule Someday I'll make a comic with them.
    I did some upper arm studies today. So here they are. Along with some bones.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your bones. your skill at shading is impressive.

my suggestion to you is to research lifedrawing n see if theres any lectures. its like 10 bucks for 3 hours of drawing..makes you super good super fast haha. its true.

hope to see more of your imagination drawings. i like your monsters. respec7

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I like cookies!

ped454: Glad you find the shading impressive I'm still working on it, buuut... I'm always working on everything. Damn! I've got sooooo much more to learn...
    You're right about the lifedrawing. I hope I'll start attending some sessions in the coming month.

I continue being slow as... something really slow at updates, but still- here's one.
    First are a few renders of a skull I modeled. Basemesh was done in 3DS Max, details were sculpted in ZBrush 3. Sculpting really helps one understand the form of an object. I thought I understand the form a skull. Turns out I don't
    Next are a few drawings done from photos. The first two are done with a mechanical 0.5mm pencil and the others are done with a charcoal pencil. I'm still trying to get the hang of charcoal. It's tricky, but nice.

Have fun now

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your squatty little monsters are a hoot! I love those. They have a quirky, effortless quality much of the other stuff doesn't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work man! I agree with BMunchausen, your little monsters are a riot! As far as a formal art education. . . I don't know that you need one. A lot of brilliant artists haven't had formal art education. With that said- study, study STUDY! Start building a library of art books from how-tos to bargain bin books with large reference images. AND of course, going consistently to life drawings sessions are an education in and of themselves. Keep up the good work! Math!? Who needs that?! Best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The poses feel more natural compared with your first posts. But then again dwarves aren't easy with their difference in proportion.

your pencil rendering is pretty good but your digital brushwork could use some improvement.

great progres

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Gir!!
    What adorable little monsters!

Your anatomy studies are very nice, keep at itttt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Woo! Stuff.

BMunchausen: Glad you like 'em About the effortlessness...ness... Would be nice if everything came to me as effortless as them, buuut... I'm still working on it

bbassir: Thanks for the comment I AM trying to study and am reading lots of books. Also, I'm slacking. And also, I'm trying to find a place where there are lifedrawing sessions. Have to wait a few days for answers though.

Uziel: Hey Glad you see progress. That means there probably IS progress! Whodathought? And the brushwork does need more... work, but everything does. I'm still a looong way from where I want to get.

28chelseaslater: GIR rules!
    Studies are sometimes hard to do. I just sit there, staring and the books doing nothing. And surprisingly, no studies come out. But I'm glad you like them

And now for the update. First are some imagination drawings. The big dwarfish looking guy with the hammer is supposed to be Thor. God of thunder! Apparently he took a shower, shaved his armpits, decided to scratch his backside with his hammer and became a dwarf-like person.
    The other things are reffed drawings and a bit of arm studies.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Along with everyone else I do like your little devils, but I think your character work is very good (especially the way you sketch digitally), I can't get over how interesting the character with a T shape for the eyes is, and the last dwarf is great! Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great anatomy and figure sketches especially the skulls imo, i love those little creature sketches- so cute , id love to see you draw one up as a full illustration
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cookies!

Mosthorribleyet: Thanks Character design is something I really want to excel at, buut... I have to do lots and lots of studies before I become all that good. Anatomy, costume design, good ol' drapery studies... When I think how much more I have to learn, I start feeling kinda small and insignificant. So I try not to think about it and just do it

lefran: Thank you kindly I'd love to see me draw a full illustration too! Maybe sometime in the near future. Right now I am focusing on random studies (anatomy and whatnot...) and just sketching away

So here are the sketches from this week. Damn! I had hoped I'd do so much more... Maybe next week

The sketches are in chronological order from Monday to Thursday. The last one is still a work in progress. A 3D anatomy study of a skull.

Have fun now

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketches, and you use your space so well. I like the way you rendered the helmet on the second page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha I love the little monsters man those rock. The anatomy studies are looking really good, keep at em they help alot I like the last update some really good rendering going on. Later.

Ink Monkey, Blog Yet anouther blogger slave.

Ink Monkeys CA Sketch Book Thanks for the Drop In

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man at first when i began at the top of this sb I tought...LOL little monsters.Then I went down I watched you draw those incredyble nice monster and char designs..and than it was...WOW!

Cool models as well,nice skull.Almost perfect in my oppinion!

Keep the engine running dude!

One's humble Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work mate... sketching bones out is something I still need to do... which I've put off for years. Love the animal pics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches are awesome! you have a beautiful grasp of tone that really makes your work pop for me, I'd say that there is more work to do to make them really really zing, as in pushing values further, but hey that will come in time.

btw, the paintovers of 3d models, imo you shouldn't do them, you don't learn a whole lot - its a valid tool when you're in the industry, but for learning, it doesn't teach much so try not to do it too much unless you're looking to render a design or panel work on the 3d model and its not your prerogative to practice the object form anyway.

Keep well and have fun, m.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ex Nihilo: Thank you I like how the helmet turned out too. About the space usage - I decided to try and set up a goal for myself - fill one whole page with sketches each day. I'm so undisciplined, that's the only way to get me to draw regularly. The only one I've found so far anyway...

Ink_Monkey: Thanks! I'm really glad you like the rendering. It's been a big problem of mine and I've really tried to improve it in the last year. Glad to see it's working

Wixxi: Thank you for the kind words It's always nice to hear someone likes your work

coldrum: Hey Yeah... bones rule. You gain so much more understanding of the human figure and it's actions when you understand the skeletal structure. It's great! Glad you like the pictures

Magic Man
    : Hey Thanks! I'm really glad you like the sketches. And especially glad you like the rendering! As I said, it's something I've worked on alot. Now I just have to work on everything else alot... A lifetime should be enough to get good at it.
    About the paintovers- I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't done any paintovers. The skull models are done completely by me. I've modeled the basemeshes in 3DS Max and the detailed them further in ZBrush 3. The pictures here are screengrabs from ZB3. And if you're talking about the unfinished dwarf in the first post- it's just the model I've done with the textures I started (but never finished). Although I have been planning on using quick 3D models as base for future illustrations, but that's still just wishful thinking.

And now, here are two more pages of sketches. I'm still a long way from becoming the King of All Productiveness... The first one is the one from Thursday, which I've only finished at Monday. The second one is from today (Tuesday).
    Sooo... have fun now
    Name:  Picture 142.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  198.2 KB

Name:  Picture 148.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  189.0 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great stuff here! I like your inventive. Very nice studies!
    Keep it up, cheeres

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's a stuff!

Dreamworker: Thanks! Glad you like my stuff

I still haven't become the most productive being in the whole universe... But still, I thought I'd update. Here they are, two pages of sketches! I need to do more studies... Also, I need to do more 3D studies, and also I just need to draw more.
    Have fun now

Name:  Picture 149.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  216.1 KB
    Name:  Picture 151.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  193.3 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey bud, thnaks for visit my sb, i'm glad to see your sb mate, you got some realy good stuffs here, i like the little monster and the dwarfs.Good anatomy practice, keep it up and keep coming!

Имаш много интересен стил и подход към нещата ти,мерси за съветите - оценявам ( ще ти драсна после в icq-to ) един съвет и от мене - на последите ти фигури а и на някои от по - горните забелязах разминаване в пропорциите на тялото - налагането на главата спрямо тялото, ти си знаеш колко трябва да е но ако поработиш малко над това тогава фигурите с тоя детайл дето правиш ще изглеждат много яко,респект и ще се радвам взаимно да си помагаме с квото можем ( и аз съм самоук) а и в артлайн форума съм ти писал комент на твойта тема там съм "berkovski"
    Cheers and Успех

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Boneland Blabber!

Looking good here producer of wind <> like the Bird Headed dude....

Thanks for supporting my thread here and at SoFA

5 Bones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Waffles!

atlantik: Hello I'm glad you like the drawings. And the monsters. And the studies Thanks alot

Mentler: Hello, mister Mentler I thank you for the bones And am also glad you like the drawings.

And since I'm lazy as hell, and also have alot of work at the job lately, I've only managed to produce two unfinished pages. But I thought they're worth showing. And also, today is the day I went to my very first life drawing session ever! Damn! Life drawing is awesome! But since I got there an hour late I didn't have so much time to draw. Still, here are my very first life drawings ever.

I suddenly want to eat waffles for some reason...
    Name:  Picture 160.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  185.7 KB
    Name:  Picture 161.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  Picture 154.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  Picture 155.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  45.3 KB
    Name:  Picture 156.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  59.5 KB
    Name:  Picture 157.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  69.9 KB
    Name:  Picture 158.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  56.2 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zim eats waffles.......

Nice figures. I'm sure life drawing will take you far. I like that tree, too. Keep it up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1