Thanks

I honestly thought, when I first heard of this,
    "Oh great... a nick cartoon trying to mimic Kung-fu action and meld it with humor.."

I happened to be flipping through channels, and caught part of the title sequence... which is actually not painfully long, no stupid theme song. The show was suprising fun to watch; The animation was smooth, the dialogue was good, the voice acting was good, and unlike anime, it has, as far as I saw, NO recycled scenes... The action is incredibley well done- the effects are all hand animated it appears; Water, Fire, Earth, etc.
    The "elemental powers" are used in conjunction with different Martial Arts- after doing some research, I discovered (thank goodness for Nick's wealth and SMART THINKING), they actually taught the (senior animators I guess) All the moves and concepts behind what they were doing... and I must say, the end result is quite nice. I'm not a good critic when it comes to story or characters, but as far as the visual side- this thing rocks.

In Naruto there are scattered bits of action... slow action, maybe some shuriken or a Jutsu.. nothing too fancy, and it's usually recycled (excluding like 5 episodes that had awesome animation). In Avatar, every single episode has incredible action scenes. They fuse motion of the body with cool attacks and tricks, and they are not often reused skills either! (no real "key attacks" that a character relies on, just elementally modified fighting moves pretty much)

I gotta say, I'm hooked. This is a pretty crappy review, but if you like action sequences and elemental fights with kung-fu, and quite a bit of sarcasm (this cartoon is more grown up than alot of what they have on CN (adult swim excluded))- and as far as romantic subplots- the characters actually kiss eachother... they don't just lean in, then wait for something to interrupt them- or sit and blush and try to change the subject.

Not much one for "anime ripoffs", but if you look at this as just a cartoon and forget about wether it looks "anime" or not, it's really enjoyable. (Unlike Teen Titans)

Just thought I'd throw it in the air in case anyone had thoughts about it. If you are curious there are some full episodes on Nickolodeon's site, and some smaller clips. No registration required. (There is also Youtube).

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thumbs up

this show is way rad.

its suprisingly complex and the aesthetic mix of the whole show (contemporary vs. ancient "asia") really work well, plus the whole bending thing is awesome, it reminds me of that one movie...but seriously they really, really make it work.

plus in terms of character variety, every design is totally awesome.

thumbs up to avatar

Attachment 33228

Thanks
    what time/days is it on?

Thanks
    I was suprised at the type of reaction this show got. I have'nt heard bad things about this show, whether it's from people who love or hate anime. Even when I was flipping through TV, I could'nt help but watch it. It's a fun show, alright.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    A friend got me a bunch of episodes and I watched 'em all. It's def. a kids show but it's very well done! Great character design, great background painting in some episodes and I like how their moves evolve as the people using them do.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Aye, only seen a few but it's an interesting show in the least. A good example of things that the next generation of animation could learn to properly mix in the pot.

Thanks
    It has the one important thing that a lot of anime-wannabe shows miss--good storytelling. It doesn't talk down to kids, has a continuous story arc, and character development. What a concept!

I thought the show would suck the first time I read a blurb about its development, then the trailer came out and I was blown away. All of my adult co-workers watch it (we're trying to get an Avatar night together next week).

I was equally impressed by the toys...

Thanks
    Agreed, cought it one day when I was over at my rents house in Austin and I liked it enough to sit through two episodes. I thought it was fun, with likable characters, good art and animation, and a well thought out story. Quite delightful, though I like sponge bob, but thats another story... I worked with kids for years, lots of bob sponge...

Thanks
    you forgot one factor that makes it pretty nice to watch.
    he has a giant arrow on his head!
    I imediatly thought of android's avatar.

Thanks
    Yeah, my first thought was "They probably browse around CA alot..."

Thanks
    I lveo this show... a friend recommended it and I'm hooked. Im too old for it, but I'm not... animation... amazing, design is superb and I have drawn a lot out of it (drawn in the drawing sense and extracting sense). I think this show is awesome.

And the thing is, I have even been on IRC on the CA.org channel, and preached about hating Anime. I just hate it. But this.... this is an exception and holy crap it's worth eating my words. Seriously... everyone you ahev to check it out:

http://www.veoh.com/series/avatarbookwater
    TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound

Thanks
    I was really impressed with this show. Maybe the japanese should learn a thing or two from them.

Thanks
    Being Japanese (American), when I first heard about this my reaction was, 'Oh no... NOT another 'anime-wannabe-of-a-cartoon show!' Since the ones that people have dished out so far, it made me want to throw up.
    But after watching the first episode.... never missed a single one since then, and I'm itching for the 3rd Season to come out.

I do love the fighting (Bending) scenes in it mostly, since they are choreographed nicely. Not to mention, I was happy to recognize the different martial arts styles they used (Tai Chi for Water, Hung Gar for Earth, etc). Since, I use to do kung-fu also. Overally, yes, BEST emulation of the 'anime'-style and that is what a GOOD cartoon should be!

Thanks
    Pound, why are you going around and bumping all the old dead Avatar threads?

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Heh it was only 2 threads. It's becuase I searched for it after becoming excited by it. I think everyone should watch it, becuase I hated anime. And to be honest I still don't like it, but this is different. It's superb.
    TR Sketch Group
    Macar, Pound