Maquette Pricing?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Maquette Pricing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maquette Pricing?

I had a client approach me about creating some maquettes for a 3d animation project. Though I sculpt, my usual realm of freelance is print so I have no idea how to go about charging for this service. I did a little research and came up with this:

- An hourly rate, with an estimation of how much time it would take to complete the sculpt based on detail (one formula was 2 hrs per inch).
    + Revision fees
    + Cost of supplies
    + Shipping

-Separate consideration given to pricing for: purchase of original sculpt vs. loan of sculpt vs. cast of sculpt (labor + supplies). (I think I prefer casts just so I keep the original and I don't have to worry about the shipping service drop-kicking the piece. x_x)

Does anyone have any experience in this realm as far as things I haven't considered, common business practices, their formulas and/or hr rates?

Thanks very, very much!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also be interested in knowing what "standard" or "fair" rates would be for this, as i have been asked the same thing.

Thanks in advance!

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ask for half up front, with half of that nonrefundable to cover your costs if the whole thing goes south.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic come up a lot at the clubhouse forum it never really ends in a solid answer.

Your going to need to figure out how much your time is worth
    Your going to have both a flat charge and rate that varies
    You need to decide if spending the time on the sculpture is profitable compare to spending equal amount of time on your other work.

Know what your getting into every project is different.
    -Have you been given enough details to start.
    - A sketch, photo or detailed description
    - Size, spec what the end product has to be produced in
    - When is this due do I have enough time giving what is asked
    form sculpt to prototype to molding and casting

Flat charges
    - cost of wire, clay, ss epoxy or wax. depending on the size, plus a mark up
    - 30-40 min of what your time worth for an armature

Varies
    - Rough sculpt charged at your time per inch
    - Level of detail they require (see below) and how much time it take to do that detail per inch.

you will want half of this total upfront or what you can negotiate with the client

*super realistic with a 12 inch figure might take you 2x times longer per inch. keep this in mind when quoting

You don't want to have revisions. Since revision come at the final stages of painting are a bit easier to deal with . Revisions in sculpting can mean hours or days of work wasted. What you do want is changes or revisions sooner than later. If you near the end of the project and your client goes "Can you changes his static pose into a dynamic pose" your screwed.

Have a camera photo can clear up lot. Take photos and send them to the client at major stages in the process. This will save you time and money.

Add in shipping

"standard" or "fair" pricing only works if you sculpt horses and only horses of one size.

Last edited by Bee's Knees; January 17th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1