Art: some fig drawings

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some fig drawings

these were from maybe about 5 years ago, when i was still in college. I haven't done any since then. If i remember correctly, they were maybe 5-10 min sketches done with those square charcoal sticks and finger smudging, all on the same page.

I really have to start drawing again.

[

Last edited by ironfinger; April 1st, 2006 at 01:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres another one

Last edited by ironfinger; April 1st, 2006 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are superb. I really struggle with carcoal.

The lighting is so dramatic and interesting.

Did you exagerate the lighting at all? In my drawing class everything is bright and I have trouble seeing tones, and the tones I do see I can't seem to handle with charcoal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, I believe I exaggerated somewhat. I guess when studying you kind of have to go for exaggeration in order to analyze the subject,

In your classroom, is there one light source, or is there a bunch of lights coming from different directions? When studying tones it is very important to start off simple, with one light source. This allows you to see more clearly how light affects form. Ask your teacher to place only one spot on the object.

There are a few good rules of thumb to follow when trying to draw values. 1. First off, realize that from is defined by light and dark and all the gradations in between. Lines are just separations of values.

2. There are endless amounts of gradation in value, try limiting what you draw into maybe 6-9 steps of value. If you want to concentrate on what is in the shadow side of a form, simplify what’s on the lighted side of the form. Vice versa; If you want to draw all those values you see on the bright side of the figure, simplify the shadow side into 2-3 values.
    If you try to draw all the values, things tend to become muddled.

3. Squint your eyes a lot. Look for soft and hard edges. Cast shadows have harder edges. The light areas around a cast shadow tend to be the brightest area in that region.

4. See how similar tones connect and unify to define form. This will help you avoid splotchiness.

5. If you're having trouble defining form and anatomy, think in terms of shapes; how does that shape of shadow look under the eyebrow? How dark is it compared to the rest of the face? is it the darkest region? how soft is it? Look at all the forms that way.

6. Reflective light. Its that light that bounces back into the shadow areas. again, this light shouldn't be lighter, or as light as anyth value on the lighted side of an object. Look at reflective light on the right leg of the subject in your charcoal drawing. Its about the same value as the gradation on the bright region of the head area. The same thing goes for the reflective light under the chin. Things start to flatten out because of this and you loose of sense of the direction of the light hitting the model.

Hope this helps. Its hard to explain without being able to show what I’m talking about. Just remember to simplify and don’t be afraid to lay in really dark values.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.