Orthographic Crits.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Orthographic Crits.

Would like some crits on my first ortho please. I want to start modeling this in 3-d soon so please let me know if there are problems. Peace.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just address some issues with the orthographic views translating to 3D
    (ignoring the weird anatomy in the lower legs and feet). The first thing I see is the eyes. You've indicated that they are facing nearly directly out to the side in the side view, and that they are facing forward in the front view. Your "posed" view shows them angling somewhere in between (which, I suspect, is where you want them).
    Keep in mind that eyes are spheres with skin around a good portion of them (even these alien eyes). They won't appear as circles , when viewed at an angle (and in both your front and side view the eyes are at an angle to the viewer/camera, if the posed view is correct).
    The other glaring issue is the mouth (on the side view). You've drawn his mouth in perspective here (a hard habit to break- I know having drawn a lot of orthographic views). What that translates to in an orthographic side view is that his mouth isn't symmetrical, but twists to his left. In a true orthographic view, all we should see from this side view is the lips and teeth on the left side (near side) of his face. The lips and teeth on the far side of his face would line up directly behind them and therefore not be visible from this view.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Cass,
    Pretty cool. :-) Mostly, I would say this dude is ready to be modeled. The head, arms, and body are all posed in about the best possible position. About the legs, though. You will want to straighten them until they are almost straight, if you wan this guy to look plausible. No existing animal has legs that fold up that much when the animal isnít sitting. For reference, look at horses and dogs. Itís a common mistake, by the way. ;-)

Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    inspector Lee:Thanks for the crits. Regarding the eyes, I will re-evalute their positioning in the profile-view. I will also add some eyelids and check my angles. Good catch on the mouth as well, I'll do my best to fix it. Regarding the mouth though, I've seen some "profiles" done in a slight pespective to show more of the form. Is this never the "right way"? I'm at school right now but I think I have them on my computer at home. I'll post them later. Anyways thanks for the crits!

Seedling:Yes I'm begining to see what your talking about. This guy is not plausible because all his weight is on his knee's right? So his legs must be almost completley straight and never bend that much while standing? I must admit I used no reference for this(thought it would be easy I was wrong) but you are the second person who has told me to ref a horse so I will. Thanks for the crits!

Last edited by cass83; October 5th, 2006 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The perspective thing on the mouth, generally if a modeler is going to import your images into a 3D program and use them to build from, it's a bad idea to use any perspective. It makes that portion of the drawing un-usable for the modeler. If the modeler is just going to use the drawings for information and reference (not importing them and building on top of them), then it doesn't really matter. A lot depends on the skill of the modeler. Some modelers only need a single sketch and they can "wing it " pretty well, others need everything spelled out or you can end up with really wonky results.

Members who have read this thread: 1