Following

Star Wars Kotor "exile"

nothing to lose so go for it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors aren't too bad, doesn't look like starwars at all though. The textures all look like they're either clay or plastic, and the face has obvious anatomical issues, sternomastoid overemphasized. The background clouds and mountains look totally fake and unfinished. I don't see how this communicates exile or anything Sith.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok fairr enough, i see the plastic that your refering to, its something i cant seem to shake. any suggestion on how to break this. i mostly stick to one or two types of brushs. if this needs to be moved to the crit section feel free who ever is in charge,

the exile is a light side character(if you play lightside so no evil etc)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think her right eye is too close to her nose... just a tad. The clothing pattern is nice, but it's terribly flat on her chest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks very tranquil with the northern european-like setting. The costume has the tunic flare of Old Republic Jedi. I'd get some atmospheric affects on the background mountains. I think giving that range a farther away feeling would benefit the piece. With the blond and the mountains and everything it just screams sweden to me, lol.

I haven't played anything from KOTOR Sith Lords but how about a starship or another moon or planet in the sky to give this a more sci-fi feel?

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey John!

I wonder if this one could benefit from a few more colours being brought into the flesh tones? Nothing radical at all - that would kill it. But just some variation - neck skin and face skin have different colours in them locally, as well as a bit of reflected colour.

I really like where you're going with the face- I think it has a lot of individual character.

I don't think the mountains are quite receeding enough. They certainly look like they are in front of the water. They are very warm, which I think is the root cause. The curve of the beach, whilst you could pull it off, is also hassling your recession IMHO.

As to the plasticness, I see it, and I wonder if breaking out some smaller brushes, whilst keeping the tones tight could help give you a more rocky feel without drawing the eye too far from the focus? A small square edged brush maybe? Something like that anyway.

I'm loving the suggestion of a ship or two in the bg - could really add some implied narrative.

All that nitpicking aside, you know I love how far you've come with the painting, and I think this is a keeper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsign
    With the blond and the mountains and everything it just screams sweden to me.
    Same here I'm afraid.

I haven't played KotoR 2, so you may well be technically spot on, but nothing other than the outfit even hints at "Star Wars" to me.

If you have it all on layers, you might want to try and drop the figure (which I do like)into a different setting and see how that works, maybe something a bit more obviously sci-fi? Or not, your call.

/2p worth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks guys for the replies. first off i made some changes to the shadows/ hues here and their. Star Wars Kotor "exile"

wish i could spent some more time in this but i have to move on . i have learned from this and thats the main thing.

Flake

good point, the robes are a characters called atris's. she is a echani and that where the pattern idea comes from. there art according to lucas cannon is all patterns and nothing else( or so im told)

Jon Hodgson

thanks Jon

long time since i have heard from you, good to see you about. your right on the skin and i should have known that, i really should, still i added some blues near the thinner skin areas and some green in other areas etc according to the light and refraction. spot on on the mountains as well, i added some fog after adding some detail and left it at that. thanks for the tips and the kind words.

Matsign

thanks , again spot on, on the atmosphere in the bg, it does need to receed.I might add a moon now that you mention it, i did have that idea but when i painted it in, it seemd to unbalance things, ill pop up that layer again and play with it tomorrow perhaps for my own yuks

SeaUrchinsToSun

i edited that area a bit, mostly i think its the way i have the skin around the eye rather than the placement is the problem there. still thanks for the input. nice to see some one focusing on the key part of a portrait

j mac

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Huge improvement, for my money.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.