Sketchbook: My frumious newbious sketchery - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My frumious newbious sketchery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frog studies from my animal cards, another mermaid thing, although she's kind of more froggish/lake monster, with orc friend (they're colored pencil, but I don't think I used it correctly), and some random crappy doodle of a tuxedo-kid. I don't know why I'm posting him.

I have the Hellboy art book. I think that's where the picture I was talking about came from, but it might have been in the extra section at the end of one of the collections. Also: You have no idea how messed up the eye was. I am unbelievably bad at getting eyes to match. The placement usually isn't even right. I often resort to using the liquify tool to move the entire thing to where it's supposed to be before I even start trying to fix it.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back from the Black Beyond

Signing up for the Men's Calender might've been beyond me. I've spent the last 3 weeks frantically thumbnailing different ideas, picking one, spending 6 hours developing it, then abandoning it. Luckily, VirusArtist kept creating artificial deadlines to try to get people to finish, and my panicked frenzy at the last one means I actually have something approximating finished to try to polish for the next week.

Anyway, I don't have many sketches from the last few weeks that don't involve that and which therefore aren't postable yet, I think. Got some watercolor birds, digital vampire guy, and skull thingie though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good progress so far.the looks of that last skull is really cool. keep doing things from ref, they're looking better and better. I'd like to see more figure studies, though.
    keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update! MORE!! I dig the vampire guy the most, but the birds are really nice. They seem desaturated, however... that's just nitpicking really. I checked out the men's calendar and I'm kinda scared of it. haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I don't think the calender turned out exactly how anyone thought it would... It was fun, but I'm planning lots of practice and therapy on interacting with other human beings in a way that doesn't disturb them before trying something like it again.

I'm not sure I have any way of doing "figure study" + "reference". I've never heard of some kind of open life-drawing thing happening here in central Jersey. Maybe I'm just not connected enough though. So I'm pretty limited to self-portraits and drawings of my left arm.

The birds are desaturated, yeah. The big one is too bright in spots(and not very accurate), and the others are desaturated. I'm still trying to figure out the whole watercolor thing. I'm also using printer paper instead of high-quality stuff and a children's 8-color paint set, so that's not helping.

Anyway, A grey Hulk I did last night and might work on more, and then a half-hourish Batman thing I felt I had to do to balance my komik kompany karma.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Merry Christmas (and Happy Holidays)

Did some messing around with "faux finish" brushes last night (whatever that title) as well as a couple "special effects" ones in Photoshop. I was also trying to figure out the "dual brush" mode, but couldn't really tell what it was doing besides not painting at the full size of my selected brush... Anyway, painted non-referenced body stuff for 2 or 3 hours. This is the best of it. (Just posting the back one because it was a weird special effects brush that all lumped together weirdly)

Also a SP this morning before work. Took about an hour and turned out pretty well in certain ways even though the head's too tall, the nose is too long, the lips are too dark, and the neck is too thick. heh.

I also have a sketch from LAST Christmas which I gave to a co-worker as part of a Secret Santa grab-bag thing. She left just a few weeks later. She always had problems with our boss and insisted my poor gift-giving ability had nothing to do with it, but looking back on it now I'm not sure I believe her.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep workin on those studies.. i can see the differences already. Merry Christmas!

"Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to Texas till the 12th. 4 sketch pages now, from cell phones to rhinos. Mostly referenced, either from animal cards or stuff around my room. My foot is so sexy, isn't it? I couldn't get a clear idea of rhino legs from my cards though.

Anyway, hopefully(!) a bit of a sketch dump when I come back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG MONKEYS oh and rhinos, frog and colourful birds. Don't know what it with monkeys but their so cool with like really hair humans that masturbate and throw crap around because they can. Enough with why monkeys are cool ramblings and down helping you improve.... umm I was going to say a few things about that head you did but you picked up on a most of the things I was going to say bar the second nostril is sticking out a bit. Most importantly your work is show good sign of improvement.

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man.
    Nice SB here. I really like those reptiles in your first post. You really instilled a kindof depth of field with those soft & hard brush strokes on the snake ... holy shit that sounded suggestive. lol.

Anyway, your newer CGs are looking awsome. - though I have to add, the b&w anatomy studies in one of your above psots is awsome, but I think it'd look a lot better without the textures/filters.

Something else you might want to look at is your line weight. Your lines look 'sketchy', uneasy. You can convey a lot of confidence and volume with a good line, so try different weights (heavy to light, etc)

anyway, great work, keep it up!

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches, I like your form of shading. cant wait to see your new sketches.

"Wait.. What?" Me
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went missing for 2 weeks longer than intended, and no sketch-dump. Back now though, I guess. Sketch of my 'work space' which consists of: a keyboard on an empty box on an ottoman, a couch covered in laundry, a mouse on a box on my computer, and several knick-knacks. Additional sketches of angry orcish guy, closeup on the top of my monitor, and a guitar phaser pedal I probably spent 3 hours on last night. That one came out good, but I gotta do more traditional painting. Can't always be constantly erasing! I'm not sure I actually learn anything that way.

Also, thanks for the feedback guys. Line Weight and sketchy outlines is something I struggle with. I've been trying to force more one line drawings and different shading styles, but it's rough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pedal, I am just going to assume you play guitar? Nice values and lines in that. Good job on the axe wielding goblin as well. The anatomy improvements show in the sketch. Keep up the good work and both the digital and analog sketching.

"Wait.. What?" Me
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just messing around, although I like the hare and the concertina came out better than I was expecting it to.

#5 == ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you got alot of posted stuff here so lemme comment and critique

one thing the kitten i gotta say it looks weird but it is kinda like anime inspired but its okay i thin it was a doll you were doing i saw it again in that sketch of your room

that goblin lookin dude i gotta rip sry man but, the axe its edge looks a bit awkward,and was it intentional that you didnt draw him with eyebrows and the perspective seems a tad off not too much just a tad

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that pedal is awesome. pretty good improvements so far. just keep it up.
    hope to see more soon.
    thanks for stoppin by my SB.
    peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evxyza: The foreshortening on the goblin-orc's back arm is probably funky, and the axe isn't based on any real axes (I actually bought a picture book of various weapons from the stone age onward to copy from and try to fix that problem, just been lazy about it), but the eyebrowlessness is intentional. The kitten is a doll of the cat from Trigun. It wasn't the greatest painting, I just posted it because I liked it. He's cute.

Also thanks for the compliments on the pedal. It came out good, but it was essentially a grey box, so I'm not sure how difficult it really was. I play guitar, but that's not too relevant on this forum, and the pedal belongs to my sister anyway (when does anyone actually NEED a phaser? ). It was just something small with some lines and shapes on it.

Anyway, animal card sketches of horseshoe crab and snail and watercolor cassowary. I kind of gave up on his crest. It was way too covered in scratches and stuff. Also a kinda weird looking watercolor dinosaur thing. He didn't come out great, but he didn't come out awful either. I need to stop doing the watercolors on printer paper. They get all wrinkly (I edited the wrinkliness off the outside of the cassowary pic).

The wrinkliness seems to have made the file size much larger than it should be. So yeah, if anybody else is on dialup like me and waiting for it to load, don't bother.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! You've got some good progress going on here, no doubt. Seems like you really absorb your studies, it looks like it anyway because your anatomy seems to be getting more confident in piece you post showing off them muscley muscles. The biggest thing that bothers me is your tiny value range. Most of your digital black and whites have good contrast, but all of your pencil work and some of the paintings have extremely low contrast, which makes them a little hard to read, and and completely removes any sense of depth in your pieces. Do this: try making a 9x9 grid on a piece of plain white sketch paper and shade the bottom left box very lightly, then in the second column shade two squares, the first here being the same value as the one in the previous column, and the second square being a hair darker. Then in the third column shade three squares, and this time make the third box a little darker than the previous ones, and keep going on in that fashion till all 9 columns are filled with the bottom squares being the lightest, and the higher up the column you get the darker the squares get, and by the time you finish the 9th square in the 9th column you should have 9 distinct values. Do that a few times, then increase the number of boxes, and do it again, and this will excersize your understanding of value, and you can give your pieces a little more umph. Good work so far, just keep at 'er.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a lot of potential man - keep it up.

personally speaking its more about how you control and guide the pencil - use the wrist and elbow. never use the finger - causes weird and weak strokes.

i use a 2mm - works great but also try doing rough sketches with a uniball pen. its a world of fun and helps you develop your strokes.

and making mistakes is fun too - thats the joy of uniball pens. great improvisational tool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words and advice. I've been a little swamped by Valentine's Day and then relaxing after working 11 days in a row, so I've had to neglect drawing a bit. Been doing some pen sketches hoping to improve my line quality, but most of them aren't worth showing. This one is just so different from how I usually approach anything that I figured I'd throw it up. I don't think it's very good, but it's weird for me. And for some reason I really like the beheaded clown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You get instant praise for including some birds. Well done. My favorite piece is mr teacup. That's fantastic.

Generally speaking, I recommend worrying less about polishing things up. The more time spent on fundamentals like form, value, and proportion the better. They'll be plenty of time to polish up down the road.

I'm looking forward to more.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright!

Well....

I have no idea what I did between February and mid November, except that it involved two trips to Texas, switching jobs, and pretty much no drawing.

So, small dump of the best stuff chilling in my folders right now.

My 'Hulk Smash!' face isn't too good, but it's much much better than any 'emo' faces I've attempted to get on paper in the past.

Guy resting a few seats up from me on one of my Texas plane rides.

Some bats and a butterfly/bat. My sister wants me to draw her a tattoo, but I really don't think I'm at 'permanent body modification' level, so I'm procrastinating for 5 years until I'll be proud of what she gets.

Explosions in the Sky. Messing with color/explosions/trees/sky. It was really hard for me to even start, since I had no idea what the first step to something like this would be.

And a referenced apple. My room was dark, the light source is my monitor.

Unfortunately, the sketch group I was in seems to have fallen apart in my absence, with EKU and Epiphany pretty much disappearing the way I did. Glad to see Jska's still doing her thing though and enjoying some success though. Keep keeping on!

And a very belated thanks to you, Craig. Your birds make me feel like I'm making mine out of construction paper in fourth grade again.

Now I just need to spam out stuff worth looking at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.