Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My frumious newbious sketchery

Thanks

My frumious newbious sketchery

Hello! This'll be my first post here on CA, although I've been lurking for a while. Since there's no "Introduction" thread, I figured I'd just jump in and start a sketchbook. I've been drawing seriously (studying anatomy books and such) for about 3 years, although I'm pretty bad about committing time to it. I bought a Wacom after my first week checking this site out. These are the first three 'real' things I did on it.

Attachment 31688
    This was the first serious drawing I attempted with the tablet. I have a couple hundred little animal cards with a picture on the front and facts on the back from when I was a kid. This is a tuatara and yeah, they're supposed to have scaly skin, but I got kind of lazy after his eye and ridges so he looks sort of amphibious.

Attachment 31687
    I did this a couple days later. Used the cards for reference again. This is a European smooth snake. I tried to get more precise details which just kind of made it look pixelly and sharpened. Also, his color was killing me. It's still not right. I've used almost exclusively mechanical pencils before, so colors aren't one of my strengths.

Attachment 31686
    It kind of looks like I'm smirking arrogently or something, doesn't it? I swear I'm not. Uhm, I didn't use a reference for this, but I did 2 or 3 pencil SPs in the preceding week, so I just did it at the same angle I did those. I couldn't get my lips to look right, and the whole thing has kind of a cartoon feel, although I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the hard outline I used on the edges?

So! That's my introduction. Nice to meet those of you who stop by. Please critique, nitpick, or tear me down, as the situation warrants. I hope I can prove as worthwhile a member of this wonderful site as it deserves.
    Last edited by Frumious Me; December 5th, 2007 at 05:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quickish big hand studies, small hand freehands, and a page full o' junk.

Attachment 32450

Attachment 32451

Thanks
    some cool stuff here try working on some new stuff, such as the guy with the gas mask make a full body edpiction of him it would be pretty damn cool to see good job

Thanks
    very nice start, would love to see more.

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words rmore and Ev. I was messing around with body designs for gas mask dude, but they were all more SWAT(...ty?) than I wanted. Looked like a storm trooper if he worked for the NSA or something. Probably didn't help that I was referencing SS soldiers, holsters, utility belts, and kevlar vests.

Anyway, this is a Hellboy pic! It sometimes seems like some kind of requirement to do one Hellboy pic, but no more! It's not really a 'sketch' because I think I spent almost 5 hours on it overall the past few days. But 3/4 of that was trying to get his damn horns to curl correctly. I think the closer one is supposed to be more of a straight line, but I COULD NOT make that look like it was curving with shading. So I eventually just bent it back a bit and hoped it doesn't look like it's at too wonky an angle.

Thanks
    Some crappy building sketches from a nearby church and La-Z-Boy. I really need to work on buildings and environmental stuff. Gonna force myself to suck it up and post some, no matter how bad they are, in the next week.

Figure practice from the picture used in FredFlickstone's tutorial. My mechanical pencil seems to have trouble laying in dark shades. I forget what the hardness of my current lead is... Actually, I don't even know if it's better to have harder or softer lead for darker lines. Used yellow 2h pencils for too many years.

Anyway, also this zebra. (I think putting it in thumbnail form will make it the thumbnail for the thread? Right?)(Edit: Turns out it's not a thumbnail. I have no idea why.)(Edit Edit: After editing, it showed up as a thumbnail, so now I'm just very confused. Whatever.)
    Attachment 35511
    Zebra's from a full-page pic in an old "Ranger Rick" of mine I found. Took about 3 hours, I think. About 1 for the base sketch, making sure I got all the stripes in the right place, although I was doing it while cruising the site, so it may have been less. I stayed away from pure white and black for his stripes, as I've heard people say you should do. I wonder if perhaps that rule applies quite as much to zebras? The blacks don't look too light though. I got lazy about making his fur look furrier.
    Last edited by Frumious Me; October 13th, 2006 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    For pencils the lead goes 8h -> 2h, H, F, HB, B, 2B -> 8b .. hardest to softest.. the harder it is the lighter a mark it makes, softer is darker. Get your hands on something that can make dark marks.. I personally use an HB but it can be a little hard to make a black with it sometimes. Try them all out and use whatever you're comfortable with. Your thread is off to a good start though keep em coming!
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Nice work on the zebra head if you go edit the first post (and click on advance), use the image manager to upload the image and save changes. That will set the image to be the thread thumbnail.

I personally like using a b or 2b lead, it is light enough for sketching and can put in reasonably dark marks.

and welcome to our group

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Welcome to the group! I like your digital stuff, you're handling colors pretty well! You're a fan of Hellboy too eh? My fave comic Keep posting!

Thanks
    Good digital stuff and welcome to the group.
    'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'

Thanks
    I did this last night after doodling for an hour or so. I'm going to work on it more, although I'm not sure where to take it. I just kinda like the attitude, or something. Figure I'll post it in stages, editing this post each time.

Side note: I've been uploading all my stuff as JPEGs because it seemed the hip thing to do, but is there any benefit to this? GIFs are so much smaller and I don't see any difference in quality.

Second side note: Jska, you use mechanical pencils. Do you know where to get a variety of lead hardnesses? The only place I've found anything besides HB is Staples, and all they had was 2B, 2H, and colored (red) lead. It also turns out they were all .5 and my pencils are .7, so they just fall out anyway.

My posts are so disorderly...

Thanks
    Hey Frumious!

To answer your question, probably through DickBlick.com. I work with them - we have a pretty good variety of lead that comes from Pentel. I think you can probably go to Pentel directly even for a fuller line - sometimes its hard to find anything softer than a 2b (it would probably break), but I think you can atleast get up to a 6H is hardness! /supplynerd

Last pic is good, I would have liked to see some lighter line weights on her soft frame. Maybe this is what you were going for. What the hell is she doing though haha - that's all I can think about when I look at it

Thanks
    hmm I never see anything other than hb for .7 mechanical pencils, if you using lead that thick, try using lead holders. You can get leads in all grades from various brands. And they got little sharpeners that can get it to a really good point.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast