Art: ~the Count~

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: ~the Count~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

~the Count~

Sup!

This is my first post in the FF section in quite some time, so I hope this one is ok for posting here. It's my CHOW entry (with bi-polar man as theme), The Count of Nightingale Manor. Check out the CHOW voting thread for some other kickass entries too. Spent a good amount of time on it, and it's my highest render in months if not years lol.
    Le' me know what you guys think!

ciao!

- d.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing you were influenced by Marko's X-Men/Spiderman covers (which is no bad thing), & although I like the approach of using the graphic elements for the b/g, combined with a rendered foreground figure, I don't think your figure work is quite strong enough to carry it off. Unless the left(suited) half of his body is supposed to be around a third smaller than the right, I think you should take a look at that. Also the musculature on his right leg is too symetrical...on a muscularly defined example ( as you have depicted) the bulk of the inner calf muscle should sit higher than the outer musculature. The thigh also is slightly sausage-like. Plus I'm not getting any feel for what his character is, first impression says he's a half vampire half barbarian berserker, but the benign expression on his face doesn't mirror this.

I'm going to stop now, 'cos I feel like I'm being picky for the sake of it. Ignore me...it's a nice piece. Bad day at the office

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, your piece is very involving. I opened your thread and first thing I noticed his weightless gait or better say flight and his white eyes.
    There are two identities in this person, they are opposite but I think border between two worlds is slightly dissolved, the worlds percolate in to each other.
    Interesting that the one world is grey and has definite sharp outlines and the other one is chaotic and unpredictable and exciting and domineering btw, looks like it takes more and more space in human life, or brains, maybe I look at his brains right now. It is like the bloody hell is nibbling bite by bite the outline of the regular life.
    It is interesting to me that his regular half is in the colored but dangerous fantasy, but in the grey reality he is living some strange life. He has to be a challenge to even stand near. So crazy.
    I like his unbalanced gait and in the same time it creates kind of dizzy feeling in me. I think for composition it would have been better to make his body have a more defined twist, with his leg being on the other side of the image. right now the other half is emptier and lighter.

But I kind of like this effect, it is because of the different weight on the both side of the image it feels so creepy and strange and unbalanced. You are losing in composition, it creates uneasy feeling when I look at the image, but it sure helps with mood and reading into character.
    Really like the figure and how you did it, especially the arm and dressed in suit half. His naked leg has some anatomical error in my opinion, the bone from knee down should be at different angle, more slanted in the knee joint. I think. It looks wrong for me.

The other interesting fact you gave to the character is that he lives in two words but his face doesn't have any definite expression, it is blank, his eyes are white (blind?),he doesn't have any personality on his face, kind of slipping away from being identified. He is really crazy individual who already learnt how escape unwanted contact with the world.
    Overall feeling. strange, dizzy, unbalanced, potentially dangerous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely piece!

Cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man !!
    The graphic elements are well done and add alot to the composition.
    Good good good !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha!!!! Battle partner of CHOW 43!!!!

Nice job my friend, nothing to say!

Peace!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey wow!

Staz: Ha - nah man, it's great to see you here! Nothing but valid crits, you have. Aye, Marko has definitely rubbed off on me. To be frank, I started out thinking "I'll resolve the background as an abstract composition like Wes sometimes does." But I ended up thinking bout Marko's covers and I couldn't help but go that direction. You're definitely right about my figure work - it really needs tons of attention. Really struggled with that leg. Hope you have a better day tomorrow man! thanx for stopping by - muchappreciated!

sve: Wow! Thanx sve! I cannot remember when last someone did this much effort posting to me! Everyone is always asking about that odd pose "What is he doing?" "Is he running?" No-one is taking it for how it looks. Not to say it's flawless - far from it - but everyone is always looking for an explanation for the oddness. They seek order when I have none to give lol. So it was really refreshing to read your post, and that you are no trying to apply practicality but taking it for what it is - an odd pose (with too many flaws).

I also really enjoyed reading your interpretation of the character. It was interesting to read that you saw the two sides start to dissolve into each other. This is not far from the truth - the original concept behind the character was not two opposite halves, but two different halves working toward the same ends. Yes, the character is a villain, and I enjoy villains and antagonists over heroes and protagonists. They always seem to have more depth to them, and I like that. Perhaps they are eating at each other - it is something that I had not considered, but it's not beyond the character.

The decision to create an unbalanced composition was one made right off the bat, but coming to think of it I can't recall why I decided to do that. I remember trying to give it some balance by adding those doughnut-shapes in the bottom right, just to keep the comp from falling over. I've always tried to put mood and atmosphere before technical quality, so I'm glad you read it like this. You're definitely right about the leg, the knee isn't right at all and I really need to work a lot more on my anatomy.

The idea behind the expression was something remorseless, emotionless, which is why I also made the eyes white - blank. Perhaps I should have made them black, like the one in my avatar...

Finally, it's awesome to hear that the piece has evoked some feeling, evoking feeling is almost always what I'm after.

Thanks for this wonderful post sve - it was great to read and re-read and read again. Really appreciate the effort!

Chupacabra: Cheers! Thanx man, muchappreciated!

Recursive: Hey Dan! Thanx man - humbled and glad you liked!

Eric: touche! thanx man, glad you like!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for generous follow up and for sharing with me all these interesting information about how you created this image. That's the first time I read such a kind and open explanation. It was fun and knowledge for me. Thanks.
    Sveta

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.