Like CHOW? Support This Site. Buy your T-Shirt

Bi-Polar Man
    (interpret it as you like)
    from the suggestion thread. Thx Pound

+/- Now... concept!

Topic elements:

1 = Man
    2 = Bi-Polar

Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 3 VOTES for each topic covered.
    4 extra votes will be offered for the description.

POLL RULES
    (for the new people)
    NOT ALL ENTRIES ARE TAKEN TO THE POLL.
    (the selection is based on technical quality criteria)
    ENTRIES NOT POLLED WILL RECEIVE C&C
    (i really try to do this every time)
    IT IS A DIFFICULT PROCESS - MISTAKES CAN BE MADE
    I am trying to set this as a professional demand. I act as the client...
    Oblio is always looking for feedback - If Oblio is wrong - tell him so.

ROUND COMMENTS:

Very cool round.
    Big WELCOME to all the new guys who joined us this week.
    It's great to see your first posts on CA are in the CHOW area.

rejected due quality:
    CHOW #43 - VOTING - Bi-Polar Man wizo5454
    great idea man. on the technical side you should be more careful. Your entry is very hard to read - I've made it B&W for you to see - your form and values need some work. Try to go for simpler forms - a robot is a good idea, you can have it blocky and simple as shapes. It will help you set your forms, you'll see your planes and knock down your values, your perspective will be easy to nail etc. Go simple, go B&W, work careful, think twice before you stroke once. Thank you for your entry. Welcome to CA.

CHOW #43 - VOTING - Bi-Polar Man CrazyYarick
    Crazy... indeed.. man you have those expressions nailed right. And some parts of your concept are disturbing... The rejection is again due to technical issues.
    Your proportions are somehow random. Your original linework is piercing trough your finished part, and it's not too nice. It's too bad since i can see some really nice details here and there (back light). You should work more on your construction, and proportions.

SUPERB ENDING FOR BI-POLAR MEN... hirst time in CHOW history.. the amazing bi-polar audience has selected.. TWO WINNERS.
    Hope to see you around again...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; October 13th, 2006 at 05:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CHOW #43 - VOTING - Bi-Polar Man

The sad fate of Bi-Polar Man

Peter Johnson was a man who had his emotions in total controll, he took great pride in this attribute and as an IRS employee it was a great asset. He lived his life comortably auditing and calculating and was pretty happy with it until one day when he audited the wrong man. Insane brainsurgent/mad professor Igor Rubowsky. One day John woke up finding himself dressed in a suit of iron on a surgents table in an empty warehouse. Two faces, one brain with bi-polar sides, two bi-polar modes, one insane killer and one over empathatic, over emotional, nice guy. John was from now on doomed to walk the earth as Bi-Polar Man.. When his right evil side of the brain was swtched on his left emotional empathatic side was sleeping and vice versa, never seeing eachother but always affecting eachother. His emotional side always started caring for things that his evil side later destroyed, so soft side morned and cried and found new things to love that was later killed or destroyed by bad side and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, yeah.... trevor, you're right.... I do remember that!

Gee.. I almost forgot this character... and this was one of my favorite ones.

FINAAAALLLLL!!!
    FCHOW #43 - VOTING - Bi-Polar Man

Description

Jason's most commom phrase in the sanitarium was: "They want me, mom!". The doctors found that Jason was suffering from delusions of his own mind. Disturbances during his sleep. But what they didn't know is that Jason's dreams weren't made by his mind, but only the recalling of a legion of creatures who dwelt inside him. But this is not an analogy. There were creatures for true.
    So when Jason arrived at his 25th year old, the creatures, by a devilish witchcraft, opened a gate located by his solar plexus, a Chakra responsible for the connection to the material world.
    The summoning had begun. But what the creatures didn't know is that Jason's mother knew all this even before he was born. She was a great Sorcerer in her time. Jason was meant to be her son. She, then, could make a spell to do avoid him to die, and all the creatures unleashed to this world. Unfortunately, during the enchant to close the gate, one creature passed half body through the portal. Now they have to live in a symbiotic relationship.
    Jason tried harder and harder to live a normal life until his beloved girlfriend, Jessica was killed and devoured by his other self. Jason himself couldn't keep the hunger off his mind. Since then, this bi-polar man had to live a life away from civilization.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Count of Nightingale Manor

“…and many authorities doubt the Count of Nightingale Manor’s existence. Despite widespread skepticism, some reliable sources (anonymous) still believe the count is responsible for the murders of several high ranking officials and iconic figures, including: former DA, Anthony Schroeder (for which Chief Investigator Philip Callahan was convicted) ; philanthropist Charles Orrington; philanthropist Tessa Goldberg; Audrey Callahan (wife of Philip Callahan) and most prolific of all, governor Simon Parker. According to anonymous sources, a great deal of the count’s supposed victims were killed at the manor. Several other figures, including the late governor and DA, were killed outside the premises of Nightingale Manor. It has been speculated that the reason for this deviation was psychological and that the count aimed “to send a message” (anon, 1957). Investigations conducted at the manor have yielded no results, though several police officers and investigators have gone missing on the premises.

To date, there is no hard evidence to suggest a serial slayer is operating from Nightingale Manor, though there is definitive evidence suggesting a single culprit committing murders for political and socio-economic reasons, malignant in nature. Further accounts point toward…”

- Official Police Report on “The Count of Nightingale Manor”

Final Image:

See yo' foolz in da poll!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my attempt thus far (30 min lunch sketch!):

(edit again!) i changed up my idea a bit... knocked back the costuming a few decades. plus it gave me an excuse to use this background i've been messing with. THIS IS MY FINAL!!

My concept - These are the DeCosimo brothers, who market themselves as the "Bi-Polar Man" on the sideshow circuit. They are identical in appearance, but complete OPPOSITES otherwise. Anthony (on the left) is the business minded one, who appointed himself as the manager of the group, while Dominic (on the right) is the irresistable party animal babe magnet (who usually steals his brother's girlfriend...ouch!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    progression:

Final

detail:

Idea
    Ignes suffers from massive fits of emotional instability. These fits take him to the darkest end of manic depression and self destructive loathing to the opposite..which he refers to as 'blackouts.' Unable to talk due to scars incurred during his blackout periods, Ignes keeps a very personal friend close by, the only one who can understand how much he suffers.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "His obsession with being completely good had driven him into practices best left alone, a fact he had become blind to. As he explored further into Martial arts, meditation, and finally rituals he came upon the idea to achieve purity by separating the evil out of himself. He failed. The darkness in his heart concentrated and became it's own being, twisting his body and taking dominance. Now, his good half, bound and controlled, serves as little more than support for the dark self."

The WIP:

-Fuu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    initial thumbs
    quick WIP... hope i'll find the time...
    OpenCanvas

.. update - hope to have the time to finish - looks like a looong way to that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eddington the Great White Hunter (and Bi-Polar man)

Lord Eddington is an independently wealthy Englishman who has always had a penchant for hunting. He has ventured into the tangled waterways of the Amazon, seeking the jaguar, and Darkest Africa for the elephant's ivory; he has hunted wild horses upon the steppes of Mongolia and has been hunted himself by the tigers which lurk in the jungles of India.
    After all of that, what is there left to do? What creatures are there left to stalk, struggle with, and ultimately triumph over?

Lord Eddington, uneasy in his thoughts of the complete loss of meaning in his life, turned his face southward. To Antarctica he went, and hunted seals and the penguins. Then to the Arctic he went, hunting the grizzly, the snow-owl, the narwhal, and ultimately the prize of all prizes, the vicious and deadly polar bear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept: Vivan Gotha, Keeper of Heaven - Guardsman of Hell.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Forget about Saint Peter, this is the guy we all meet when our time is due! Allthough all official instances, like the Vatican, deny any bi-polarity in heavenly creatures, Vivan Gotha has been there from the beginning. In a way they are right, since he was one of earths first men, kin of Adam, and not exactly a pure divine being. Contaminated or blessed by inhuman divine powers he became what he is now: ugly, burning and billowing smoke from one side the Guardsman of Hell guides those destined for tea time with Lucifer to their terminus! The left side of Vivan Gotha is an angel like humanoid, carrying the Key of The Gate. The Keeper of Heaven will show the few who have been chosen to sit at the Great Table, through The Gate. Vivan Gotha is divided exactly in two, if one of his limbs crosses the line from one side to the other, this limb will morph into the state of this side of the body.

On my blog there is a play by play and a close up of the face! http://blog.piru.be/

FINAL

I hope my render is ok this time!

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, i´m new here, can I play?

Here I go...

Idea.
    Bob is thirty years old, he's a sys monkey in a telephone company, single and he began to lose his hair.
    Mr. Tomahawk is the current president of the world, a multidemensional secret agent and pope of the rock n´roll with a aerodynamic haircut...
    Bob is depressed and pushed down by his burden. Sr Tomahawk is a euphoric titan with no limits.
    They need help...

Sorry for my english 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hugh K. Munghous --- The latest to join the elite ranks of explorers to visit both the North and South Poles. Whatta guy...

Any comments or critique would be cool, Im trying to get used to photoshop painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bi-Polar man

Hi everyone, this is my first post~
    Saw my roommate doing this and it looked kinda fun so i decided to give it a shot ^^

Here's my Bi-Polar man, he's a robot cyborgy thing with 2 different head/masks that he can interchange + and -.. one is happy one is sad ^^
    oh yeah.. he has some wierd pump thing for his heart....and a tube thign... for his...thing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final:
    Once a man of great inner conflicts, the BiPolar Man has spent his life transforming his body into a machine so that
    he could retrieve the chemical balance he needs to have a suitable "balanced" life. It send electrical discharges straight to his head toning down every single of his emotions. Even if he is condemned to spend his days finding a source of energy for his metabolism, his small rusty face never keeps smilling as he had finally found what he wanted. Serenity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CHOW #43 - Bi-Polar Man
    I'll wait for the night to come.
    So far, suicide at home
    For I'm not the man you know.
    This love, it's about control.

(Strapping Young Lad)

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chow Entry

Hi guys this is my first post and my first involvement with anything like this.
    Hope you like it.

Mr. Butterrunkles, <sigh>... nobody knows what exacly happen to make him act the way he does but every one knows that he is the nobilities best hitman. His curious behavior is best described as that of a child, except that he ruthlessly kills people while they lie asleep at night. His mind seems totally disconnected from his body.
    We can only hope that he shall be stoped.
    -Eric Blackthorn
    Last known victim of Mr. Butterrunkles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Joe_Hell:
    + I just loved those initial sketches and I really like the way he turned out overall!

Eric Gerhard:
    + I like the way the clothes are draped and what the monster's face looks like
    - At first I didn't see he was retaining the monster
    Anyway, nice entry dude! I like it better than your Oxygen King!

Demented:
    + Your character and background are really good imo!
    - I can't feel a real cohesion between your story and the character, so it scores less therefor for me.

Jska:
    + Fantastic facial expressions; love the Carnivalesque atmosphere in the picture
    - Pitty that there is a difference between the level of "finishedness" between the faces and the rest of the body. Pitty you can't see them completely too.

Sirio
    + He definatly suffers from madness
    + textures
    - would've liked some more highlighting in the body

fuuryoku
    + cool desing & concept
    + tightness of parts of the piece, allmost "tangible"
    - the part that connects the evil one with the good one is missing something imo, or maybe it's too hard? (look who's talking )

Oblio
    Would have liked to see this in color or in greys only, now the parts that are in colour don't really belong in the picture. Pitty there isn't an explanation also.

Zarett
    + Humor
    + I had allmost exactly the same idah in the beginning
    + I really like the roughness of the piece

Quai
    + Like the idah!
    - Would have taken another Point Of View.

fersteger
    + I like how this picture reads. That guy is struggling to get there!
    + like it houw you rendered it.

lolow

+ Hehe cool design! Like the teeth especially
    - I like the colours en the "graphic" approach of the piece, but the form doesn't read very clear due tot the more abstract colouring imo.

wizo5454
    As oblio said, the idah is good, and you are getting there, but it doesn't read clear.. yet!

Chuck,mate.
    + As always I love your colors! The face mask is cool too.
    - Pitty you are "hiding" the hands.

CrazyYarick

+ like the setup;
    - the figurative quality needs some upgrading still, but hey you will get there!

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agh, shit, didn't vote for Joe... if someone would vote for Joe on my behalf - much appreciated. Only voted for Chuck and his hot stuff.

DurinPiru: Thanx, wrote the story not to supplement the character but to complement it.

Will try and churn out some meaningful critiques a bit later on.
    ciao!

- d.

Last edited by demented; October 2nd, 2006 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Vote for Chuck, man that character is badass. The shapes + tones/colors gives me the impression this is one Fuck*&*^up guy. Great work.

My favorites:

JoeHell. Wow seriously, not only does that pic make me laugh but alot it really well rendered.

Lolow: Superb style.

To All others, great ideas, gj.

off to work now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted JoeHell. He's got it right away... very humorous and original. The colours were an added bonus.

Last edited by xgabo; October 2nd, 2006 at 09:01 PM.
    Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted JoeHell.

Think he got the essence of the matter and also the description was following the pace of the concept.

I'll C&C for everybody later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many thanks for the crit, Durin.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the C&C everyone ill do better next time. I know what you mean on the proportions and will fix it at least for my own personal use. thx again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lolow got my vote. Just loved the idea, and the technique was sweet too.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quick vote!

JoeHell - you nailed it! Like the style and the take on the concept is good too!

C & C for the entrants tomorrow when I have more time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CLose one for me between JoeHell and Lolow. In the end I liked the removeable faces and Mignola styling a bit more, so Lolow got the vote.

-Fuu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted lolow.. that piece is awesome..

thanks for the votes everyone.. you dont know how much they mean to me.. really a boost to keep doing these "something" of the week things.. it's so much fun..

I'll C&C later on.. gotta get to school now..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted JoeHell, mainly because I liked the initial sketches very much. I think they were a bit more funny compared to the final

Great work by lolow, but I wasnt too happy with the final make-up of the image. I think it would have been stronger without the horizontal picture on top or if that pic would have been more in the color scheme. The others were nice as well, but these two really came out on top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for JoeHell! Chuckmate also had a very nice one, but i think the concept for Joe's is more creative

thanks for the votes guys :B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.