Sketchbook: NSFW - Nudity Chris Nygaard aka Hive_minD ~updated page 21! : [07-June-13] - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NSFW - Nudity Chris Nygaard aka Hive_minD ~updated page 21! : [07-June-13]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the last update. That alien looks awesome! Can't wait to see more.

Edit: That made page three.

(Btw, glad you're happy).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~zelda_geek : Takker. I'm glad I'm happy too I am starting to realize that drawing mustn't be forced. I must just relax and do what I like, just like everything else in life. Take a step back and chill. Anyways, Thanks for pushing my SB to page 3! It motivated me to put some more work in the Wolverine portrait.

Still not sure where I'm going with this. Right now I'm just blocking in the shapes. Used some reference so that I didn't totally stuff up the lighting, but most of it is just going with the flow.
    Not sure how much time I spent on each step, but in total it was MAX 20min.

Chris

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a little update. Nothin' much to say about it. Bah

Chris

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, itís a very cheesy response but itís true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -BjÝrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man, I'd suggest reading the Loomis books, and any other good drawing books to really nail down all those studies. The more you draw from life and ref, the more knowledge you gain on how forms turn and how they are lit. What really helped me a lot with drawing from imagination was taking about a year and a half of actually learning how to draw from life and ref, and learning the foundations of good art. It's the most essential thing when drawing from imagination, you must know the foundations. Even still today, i'd say about 60% of all the work I produce is still drawing from life. You're at the age that I started to take art seriously, so now is definately the time. You're doing pretty well so far, better than I was at your age. so now is the time to put your nose to the grindstone. Keep it up!
    -mitch

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Skeiff : First, I would like to say thank you for commenting in my SB, it really means allot to me. Your words have inspired me just that little bit further. I will keep posting as often as possible, also all the different studies I am doing to try and improve my skills. Thanks again Mitch. I hope the next time you enter my SB it will have more studies than the last time!

Haven't done much the last few days, a few doodles and scribbles, but nothing yet worthy of posting. Did put a solid 15min in the Wolverine-shitface. Not liking the way I executed an idea I had. Dunno if I will do more to it...

Chris

Last edited by Hive_minD; February 13th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome as always man Those scales looks so realistic, well done. Not sure what the creature on the left page is, but it totally seizes my attention, I'm looking forward to see it again soon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SniffeY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey this guy's crazy when you gonna work on him more. and don't let this sketchbook be your motivation to draw. you gotta do it because you wanna draw not cause you want people to comment. anyway these are some tasty arts, peace

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pennington For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two digital studies today. Speedies for me. Loved painting them, though I only like the results of the top parts of them. I guess I spent most time on detail in those areas...

-Apple is from life. Still looks flat though, but 15min was the deadline
    -Bird is from ref. Tried getting the overall look there in just 20-25min. Didn't get time to put in the shadow of the beak. -you can vaguely see the outlining...
    [Edit] put another 5mins or so on the birds head... won't touch it any more. Like it as it is, even though it ain't finished.

More to come soon
    Chris

Last edited by Hive_minD; February 25th, 2008 at 08:22 AM.

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You did great progress in your digital works. I found interesting the Wolverine experiments. The last two digi are also good, In particular You captured the softness of the bird plumage.
    Ciao

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamworker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some nice works here man, really you are doing a good job.

keep posting

cheers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to enthombed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that bird looks real good, especially for being so fast. and the colours in both of them are nice, keep at it dude.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaoki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Dreamworker : Thanks mate, I tried to get that softness, but still got problems with the shades there...
    ~enthombed : Thank you, I'll do that.
    ~Kaoki : Cheers. I'm really trying to work with colours

And, speaking of colours. I am amazed on how many colours one can find if you actually care to look. Found a nice picture of a lion. Stared at it for a while, and then got started. I've already spent around 40min on it... mostly nailing down all the shapes and colours. -focusing on the head.

Just started with a few colours, and blending them.
    Then using chalk, and a small brush-size, I start building up the shapes in greater detail with many colours. (Not finished this process yet!)

Still a WIP
    Chris

Last edited by Hive_minD; February 20th, 2008 at 12:48 PM.

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy with the extra 40-50min I put in it.
    Might go back to it later, who knows...

Chris

Last edited by Hive_minD; February 25th, 2008 at 08:22 AM.

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Hive Mind,
    You have very clean work, which is nice, but have you tried to be starting out messy and random? It's good to to experiment and see what can happen. It's something I noticed with the wolverine pic, he has such a smooth face for such a rugged, tough guy. Texture is a good idea too.
    Are you remembering to flip the image as you work? There are a few things out of place on the lion, for example his left eye is too high. Using the liquify tool can fix that.
    It does look very nice though, just needs a background.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Stapleton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Peter Stapleton : Trust me. I have to start messy. Still struggling to hit lines on the first try, and I often, too often, don't know where I'm going in the beginning.
    It's strange you should mention the subject about the roughness of the wolverine-pic. When I started on it, that is exactly what I had in mind. Then I started shaping the face and got all caught up on experimenting on the hair. -next step will have to be textures!
    Busted... Don't flip enough, or at all. But I did notice the flaws myself when studying the ref some more. Might fix it up some time, though I'm not sure. Kinda feel like I got what I wanted out of the piece.
    Thank you for popping by!!
    ~Rhett Harrison : Thanks allot! It means allot to me that others are noticing the slight progress of some of my work. I agree. Studies are great and rewarding!

Have spent the last few days at the cottage. Been drawing every day lately, -booya! But only one will be posted for now. Another study by ref. Such an interesting face. Spent AGES on getting the face and expression just right. Flipped the image here several times, and just couldn't understand why the nose looked so weird. -therefore I spent another 30min trying to fix that. But when I also flipped the ref, I saw that the nose was just as weird there. I believe his nose has been broken. . .
    Struggled with the beard also, therefore its just mostly a blur. Other than that I'm pretty much happy with the result

Chris

Last edited by Hive_minD; February 25th, 2008 at 08:23 AM.

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Hive-Mind, cheers for the kind comments. To answer your question the only thing to do is to look at references and expand your own knowledge in terms of clothing and weapons etc For the sketching i used used a simple round brush with pressure turned off, be very loose and more importantly DON'T be precious that way you'll never be disappointed and you'll create a lot more interesting work that way. I'm no pro but i hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stu.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sellis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that last portrait is very nice! Great luminosity!
    Maybe the green background should be improved!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris

damn, you ref studies are really good. loving that bearded guy, everything looks very clean in here. yeah, flipping is important, do it often! the picture stays the same, it's just the brain that get's used to it and then fails to notice mistakes.
    about the ref, there's no specific links, but on flickr and deviantart there's like millions of emo kids who take pictures of their eyes and lips good enough for quick studies i guess, although photos most often suck colorwise.
    ah whatever. i'll be watching this book, keep it up man!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,first thank you for your hot comment on my sb
    and my critique,MAAN,your paintings are very nice so keep it up but something is breaking your paintings.i think you have to work more on foundations.you need to study more and draw from life and references.for example in your lion painting,i think the perspective and form of the lion's face have problems.
    at all,i like your sb.cu

Need your critique
    My Sketchbook

31. The Following User Says Thank You to hmanafi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Sellis : thank you, kind sir. I'll have to try it some day soon!
    ~Clochette : You are so right.I should work more on backgrounds! (study some environments, notet!) Take care!
    ~algenpfleger : Cheers mate! -and thanks for the ref tip Hope you do come again
    ~hmanafi : Thanks for leaving a comment behind. Yea. I am aware of my lack of "strong foundations". I'm hoping that it with time and effort will despair!
    The Lion has flaws. I know... But i still feel I got what I wanted out of it. I will be doing more studies (many more), and I'll try to spend more time on the foundations of the painting, not just laying colours down

Here are some hand studies from anatomy-books. -its a preview of what is yet to come I guess
    Last one has some ideas i sketched in my sketchbook. Liked the heads the most.

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for stopping by the SB! You've got some really nice stuff here, like the guy with the beard, and it's great to see you're studying up on the anatomy. I would like to see more usage of hard brushes in your digitals, I find starting soft and loose is fine, but when you're finishing it up it's great to have a contrast of hard and soft areas to add visual appeal- as well as giving areas that need it that extra hardness to define form
    Also do make sure to keep flipping (or turning your paper upside down) because some pieces really slope to one side.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to monstertree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketch. I think study more light and shadow knowledge can help you draw better.If you want to know what is the real shadow,you must study more about anything,my mean is you need to know why they have this shadow.when you good at this ,you work can looks more real

at last ,keep it !

Life is good.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to wink_ma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~monstertree : I should rather thank you for coming to MY humble SB! It's funny you mention the fact that I should use more hard strokes, since I love most of the artists here that use them! I gotta learn their secrets Take care!
    ~wink_ma : -tell me about it! This is actually why I like doing studies. The whole learning process is actually pretty fun, (not always when I try to use them when drawing from imagination ) But hopefully that will change

Going to the cottage early tomorrow morning. Taking my Laptop. Might show more when I get back, if I like what I've made

Happy Easter CA!

Chris

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Longbeard-Brokennose looks good. Glad to see you starting up anatomy studies. If you are not doing so already, make sure you look at the whys instead of just copying. Understand why the hand looks this way and what the muscles do instead of just copying straight from the book. Keep posting and keep us updated.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to EvilBunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chris, you are demonstrating great progress here, those digital paintings are looking nice, keep practicing!

Quinn

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

XaNverse is offline I named my artistic universe: XaNverse (..lame.. I know) Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. I like the first skull from this image.(I liked the guns too) Glad to see you're taking Skeiff's advice.
    Keep up the good work and keep walking the "road" of improvement. Crap... my last sentence was so lame... Anyway... I like the images, keep posting them.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to XaNverse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa man!

you've been working hard and it shows, digital painting are getting better and better, but in some of them you get lost and try to achieve tightness without defining form, maybe you hould do some quick, rought ones too that focus on depth n stuff, just my 2 cents

love the bottom right head in the chaos dude sheet, nice one

keep 'em coming

ciao

45. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - I'm a bit curious about your digital process: Do you work from scratch in photoshop, or do you begin with a scan of a pencil sketch? I go back and forth between techniques, but lately I've been working a lot more from scanned sketches, and personally, it's working for me. I'd recommend you try painting under a sketch in photoshop rather over it so you retain some of your great pencil work. In general, your digital stuff seems too air-brushed.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffZNY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~EvilBunny : I know what you mean. While doing, say the hands, I tend to look at my own hand and try to find the shape I've drawn on paper. By doing so I believe my brain registers more info. Hope so.
    btw, your comment reminds me of how Cole Eastburn does his anatomy studies
    ~Quinn Simoes : Cheers!
    ~XaNverse : Thanks mate!
    ~TheGnoll : Thanks mate! Your two cents are so true. I should do it, I just kinda never know where to start ... Like my thumbs. I really like some of the ideas and want to explore them, but I struggle to build them up to something more than thumbs. I gotta keep pushing
    ~JeffZNY : Well first of I use Painter Lately I've been doing all my digitals 100% in Painter, without scanning. The reason for this is because I want to learn different techniques from start (rough sketching + "foundation") to finish (details). Obviously I will scan certain drawings and work on them digitally, but for now I just want to explore

Don't feel like sharing to much. :/
    First is a little b-day gift for a friend. I thought I saved the large version of it with all the details, but I guess something went wrong.
    Second are just a few selected thumbs I did with marker on paper. I want to try to push 'em further...

Chris

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exams closing in. Work. School work. And even more school work.
    I've tried sketching in my SB as often as possible, and I just started a study. It is a super speedy. 25-30 min is very little time for me! Not looking to bad...?
    And no I haven't flipped it, sorry, but I just wanted to train my speed and 'accuracy'. I might continue working on it in the future. More to come, if not sooner, then at least this weekend

Chris

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3