Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks

EOW 35 Gasplanet Vista - Votes!

BE ADVISED: MULTIPLE VOTING POSSIBLE!

evildisco

--------
    Blue Severin

The Cyclonic Storm of Ares VII is said to have enough cyclical energy to power several planets.

---------
    EvilCommunist

The gas planets themselves may not have been the perfect places to settle, but the asteroids that found themselves captured by the gasses make colonizing such planets possible.

-----------
    Michael Jaecks

-----------
    delectro99

On the planet of Gibbs IX, there was a scientific reasearch center which specialized in turning the volatile chemicals of the atmosphere into life saving medicines. One day, an intern accidentally let some of the internal atmostphere out, and it reacted violently with the planets atmosphere. It turned a sickly green and the gases corroded the metal structure of the floating lab, forcing the occupants to try to escape in the pods, which thrusters rusted almost instantly, dooming the escapees. The city now lays a derelect, sustaining itself on the very chemicals that proved its destruction... (good stor,y crappy picture, might even use the story for a roleplaying game )

-----------
    dragon4lunch

Transport ship M513 loaded mostly with metal, is getting ready to land... Captain Chassey then realized he had flown to the wrong planet! This planet didn't even have a solid ground to land on - it was too late! Ship M513 vanished in the vaporous clouds and never was seen or heard of again. Bummer.

------------
    arttorney

The computer models predicted an 81 percent chance the two gas planets would not total enough mass to become a sun. Nobody was sticking around to find out, though. Nobody! Either way it went down this would be the end of the colony on the moon known as Nova Antarctica.

-------------
    Evil Sloth

The holiday planet of Cranatar provides an clean transportation system by using the planets natural gases to glide and propel their shuttles around the planet to spires overlooking the planets peaceful scenery.

--------------
    Genital Eclipse

--------------
    Migsta

This planet HFC134a contains rich deposits of the element boron and because of the extreme temperature of the planet the deposits produce a green gas which creates a breathtaking vista. HFC134a has become a very popular stop among space travelers.

--------------
    Cowboy Surfer

The view from the top was stunning. 3 weeks hopping through sub-space had left the crew restless and in need of R&R. For the captain nothing beat the challenge of a free-climb up the nearest mountain.
    That the 'mountain' happened to be an asteroid orbiting the newly discovered moon of a gas giant only added to the thrill. Why did he do it?... Because it was there!

--------------
    Justin Oaksford

When pressure builds up in a cool cloud system on Hadrian, a new Gas planet found in the Nero System, the release contains a mixture of chemicals foreign to the upper atmoshpere, which creates quite the lightshow.

Won't you Fly into the Danger zone with me baby?

---------------
    fersteger

---------------
    marak24

The pilot looked out from the cockpit, and out into the endless vista of yellow sulphuric gasses rolling among the clouds. He risked lifting his goggles and respirator for a better look. "Beautiful," he whispered

----------------
    oblio

----------------
    Marco Mazzoni

----------------
    gep

Vern liked nothing more then starting his day early and watching the visual spectacular of his home planets sun rise. The humidity drops each morning causing the gaseous bubbles which form over night to gather and dissipate in a myriad of coloured gasses.

-----------------

PHEW - nice turnout, again! thanks to everyone for entering - some real gems in here, as usual!
    Last edited by Hyver; October 1st, 2006 at 06:38 AM.
    WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Was digging cowboy_surfers but then saw genitals and had to vote =]

Thanks
    Ooh first vote. I feel proud and honoured. Edit - Actually no beaten whilst critting.

Evil Disco - Nice colours. Like the clouds. Rocks give good vista but could be more finished.
    Blue Severin - Bit of a wip, but I like what you were going for. Clouds and gasses could use a bit more blending and maybe a complimentry colour or two.
    Evil Communist - Some nice swirls you've got going there. Builing a little too blurry for my liking.
    MJ - Like the swirls in the gas a lot and the idea of the floating... theres the problem. Not sure if they are cities, satellites or what. Maybe a description would have helped.
    Delectro - Interesting idea. Need to try and tighten the render though. Try to make your stars a little less regular, add areas where there are few and areas where there are many.
    Dragon - Very niecly rendered clouds and good colours. To be picky the ship lets it down, not up to the standard of the clouds.
    Arttorney - Cool idea. Love the ships exploding out of the gas, they do look a little bit like arrows or spears at first glance though.
    Evil Sloth - Really like the dark and broody feel and the green glows are sweet. To be picky a little rough in places maybe.
    Genital Eclipse - Awesome. Captured the sense of howling wind brilliantly. Great colours. Just the right amount of loose. Only fell short of the win for me for not being gasseous enough.
    Migsta - Another awesome piece. Good sense of scale, limited colour pallate really works well.
    Justin - Like the pov. A little too loose. Good energy comming from the ship.
    Fersteger - Looking very industrial, like the feel. Colours a bit muted for my liking.
    Marak - Brilliant piece. Captured a cloudy gasseous feel that I really dig. Ship adds scale well. Colour choice impecable. Well done.
    Oblio - Would like to have seen you take it further than the sketch, must try harder next time.
    Marco - As I have come to expect from you a beautiful piece. Great colours Good scale. To be picky Not gasseous enough for me.
    Gep - Really nice idea. Would have liked to have seen a bit of Vern to see where he is observing from. Good colours. Could be tightened up to improve it.
    Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

Thanks
    V = evildisco.
    the image is haunting, feels like there`s an entire story there, waiting to be told. great entry, bud.

solid effort everybody.
    We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Hey cowboy surfer: Thanks c&c. I was surprised mine went to the poll, as its really a WIP. The deadline crept up on me and I was busy with other work. I mean, there should be a lot more... shadows on the cloud tops, more detail to those tethered spheres... whisps of cloudy business where the tethers penetrate the cloud layer.I was thinking along the lines of a gas mining operation, like Bespin or some such. A description would have only explained away what I never got around to rendering... I do like the beginning enough that I'll work on it more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    The pieces by Michael Jaecks, Cowboy Surfer, and Marek 24 really spoke to me, all having an interesting mix of colors and textures, but each different from the others. If I had to univote, it would have been Cowboy Surfer for the sense of grandeur it seems to evoke.

Marco Mazzoni- just tighten that stuff up a bit, and I think you are going to do great on EOW.
    Last edited by arttorney; October 1st, 2006 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Oops totally forgot the description, my bad.

I enjoyed the sense of scale in both migsta and evildisco's pieces.

My vote is for ED's, just personal preference, it really caught my eye the instant the WIP was up. Nice work.
    Sketchwich - ArenaNet Artist's Dumping Grounds
    http://sketchwich.blog.com/

Thanks
    Marak's clouds are sweet, and the ship adds just enough interest to make it a sweet piece.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    uh? i made it to the vote? why?
    great stuff here - congrats to all.
    I'll try to take part as much as possible and also to help around.
    EOW.. will change... and be what it has to be
    votes: Evil Disco, Evil Sloth (so much evil in the EOW .. pff ) and Marco Mazzoni.

Thanks
    i think theyre all awesome, but i must jump in the bandwagon and vote for Genital...i love the little guys reppeling down the mtn

Thanks
    yeah, Oblio, I was surprised mine made it in too. Went camping over the weekend, so just posted what I had.
    S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Just getting in before this closes I think. really liked a few entries. genital, marak 24 and dragon4lunch.. I was going to give my vote to genital eclipse, but I thought about what I would have done for this, and my vision was of an actual gas planet, with probably not much of a surface.

I went with dragon4lunch. It would be cool to see a much larger image. Maybe give it a bit more contrast within the focal point of the clouds. Getting darker towards the outside. That could help with the overall composition as well as creating a bit more of a doomy feeling

edit: looks like I didnt get in before the close....+1 dragon4lunch
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *