VOTING!! Teen Challenge #16

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Best impervious carapace?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • invinciblewombat

1 2.44%
  • ShamblingCat

1 2.44%
  • Lewis

0 0%
  • Mehz

2 4.88%
  • Cup of Joe

1 2.44%
  • Prophet

17 41.46%
  • Evil_Sloth

12 29.27%
  • v0rbiss

2 4.88%
  • bestow

0 0%
  • Cecil

1 2.44%
  • aph

2 4.88%
  • blanquish

0 0%
  • Killer Napkins

2 4.88%
  • Mini_Sloth

0 0%

Thread: VOTING!! Teen Challenge #16

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The topic was "Ultimate Armor." Vote for your favorite!

invinciblewombat:

ShamblingCat:
    The FishBot 5000 is an all purpose walking armor shell for the mobilization of the Goldfish Army. Once freed of the confines of their homes and given robot bodies, the Goldfish infiltrated every level of our government before conquering the world and ruling it with an iron fist.

Lewis:

Mehz:
    The main deal is while the armour makes him invincible, it's also a prison. He can't take it off until he's fed it a million souls.

Cup of Joe:
    Soon, after a lifetime of work, he could finally obtain the protection of the gods, the ultimate armour.

Prophet:

Evil_Sloth:

v0rbiss:

bestow:

Cecil:
    Duncan the diving duck can walk under water thanks to his magical armor that give him the ability to sink.... its a shame he hasn't descovered a magical snorkal that'll help him breath but he'll find that out soon enough...

aph:

blanquish:

Killer Napkins:

Mini_Sloth:

Challenge #17 will be up soon. Speaking of which, post any topic ideas you might have for it. Along with any crits or comments you have for these entries, of course.

Last edited by inkerton; October 1st, 2006 at 04:05 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice ones!
    What I noticed is that a lot of these characters look a bit unbalanced.
    I think invinciblewombats is very nice, very euhmmm metal ^^
    Mehz's is also great.. If he would've worked on that one a bit more I would vote for him.
    Prophet's is really nice and very true to the topic. Those "legs" look a bit weird though.
    Evil_Sloth's is really great on colours, but the armor isn't really "over the top" and I do feel sometimes the textures are a bit over the top But nonetheless; great piece!
    V0rbiss; it looks great in pencil, though the legs look a bit weird, like he's going to fall over. Nice pencil work man! Finish it a bit more and have a nice portfolio piece. ^^
    Aph; that looks really nice. Too bad it's so much still a sketch.. The sketch has a lot of potential!

well these were the crits and all on my favorites. I really have to go now. I'll cover the rest also.
    Still haven't decided who I'll vote for. It's either invinciblewombat, prophet or Evil_sloth I think

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its between Prophet and Evil-Sloth for me. They are both rendered well and its quite hard to choose one. In the end I might just go with Prophet because the original design.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
I voted for Sloth, the big one

However, for next round, please skip the charachters... its getting quite boring, take some enviroments in for now.. the only thing that I see in the teen challenge are big guys with mad muscle power and lots of armours..this
topic was really a present for those who like big guys with muscles you get me.. so please some sort of enviroment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough choice between Prophet and Evil-Sloth, But I went for Sloth in the end. (I just couldn't say no to those textures.)

I definately try and get in next time (and actually follow the description.)

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, i just wrote a looong and boring post, but it end up being lost. So i'll just try to summarise the main points:
    wombat: cool design, but it nneds hard edges and focall points.
    shamblingcat: Monumental!
    Lewis: spend some more time on it, bitch!
    Mehz: more work
    Cup of Joe: more work
    Prophet: woah, nice! The legs aren't looking good tho, and the whole torso seems moved on the right.
    Sloth: nice technicall skills man, but it lacks construction, and have some anatomical issues too.(most noticeable in the pelvic region and the legs)
    v0rbiss: shoot yourself!
    Bestow: pay atention to planes.
    Cecil: cool, but it seems like you are running to your comfort zone with this. (experienced duck drawer, methinks?) Sorry if i'm terribly wrong!
    Aph: I voted for you, good perspective and design. It'd look great finished! ;}
    blanquish: hehe nice!
    napkins: only if you'd finished it...
    minisloth: good start, keep working!
    All in all, we must pay much more attn to the basic shit, and work more. Never heard that before, eh?

@Noe: Kekeke, 10q! ^_^; *giggles and runs away*

@Dile: I completely agree that character designes got enough attention already, and it's time for a change! But environments are far too specific of a subject. Maybe some scenes including both? Me likes scenes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that would be my second duck I have drawn but I don't think any other challenges will have need for one so he may be the last..... I would have voted for invincible wombat that guy is just creepy..... but im going for prophet because its just a bit more than a guy in armor (A wierd underwater guy in armor).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't no to much about what the normal Titles are for the rounds but- Don't missbehave! or The taker of teeth (tooth fairy thingy) are a few ideas.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Napkins don't vote for yourself...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Evil_sloth(not cos were related) but i just think it was coolio...
    Prophet's looked half and half.. The proportions were just dodgy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh by the way Im only 13... So I reckon I did ok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well shit! awesome entries everyone.
    Ill give some critiques.. just because i never do...

wombat- nice design.. and yes it is very rockin.. but try workin a little more on the proportions of the figure. arms are lookin a little gangly. also it would be awesome if you defined some of the shapes more giving some harder edges.. it really makes things pop out.. good work

Shambling cat- haha cool!.. but itd be cool also if you made some harder edges rather than having the whole image soft and blurry ya know?.. also maybe look at some metal and see how the shine reflects everything aroudn it.. unless this is supposed to be a matte finish on the metal.. but anyway rockin i think the gold fish will obtain global control in notime with this suit!!

Lewis- nice original concept man! .. the bird suit rocks.. but id work on a little study of that pose.. how it looks.. somethin looks a tad bit off.. but its still and effective pose.. also maybe check out some feathers and define the feathers a little more.. the colors jsut seem one-toned. add some reds and oranges into them maybe... but nonetheless awesome armor man.

Mehz- not a bad design at all... its a little loose and sketchy but, i think if you finished it off with some definate lines in there.. not such sketchy ones.. itd look pretty solid then.also check out some reference on poses where the limbs go back.. its lookin a little funky right now.. but minor tweaking should help.. good job!

Cup Of Joe- cool composition.. but im not sure if i exactly know whats happening in this.. itd be sweet if you could put a little more work in it to show what those objects flying around were.. i just get lost in the right side of the pic.. but cool tho.. i like the composition.

prophet- nice design and rendering dude.. but something needs to be fixed on those legs.. they are kinda bent weird.. and look way to skinny to support that big bulking mass up top.. but awesome design dude.. hah his face reminds me of one of those spanish wrestling masks.. cool

Evil Sloth- nicee renderign dude.. but the design of the armor looks too basic in my opinion.. jsut looks like something youd see in any medeivel movie or whatnot.. and i think someone mentioned it .. but the hip/leg area looks a little off.. but i like the painting technique you did on this.. and the textures are pretty sweet.. but dont be too dependent on them.. awesome job man!

Vorbiss- sweet design man.. looks almost insect like.. i would like to see the legs all the way down though.. and maybe if it wasnt so sketchy itd be a sweet finished concept.. but the straight on view of the concept works here .. anyway rockin design tho man!!

bestow- hah dude whats that one skateboard company? darkstar i think.. thats what the helmet loks like their logo.. pretty cool looking .. but that arm ripped off in the design doesnt show me that his armor is the best.. haha.. but anyway keep workin man.. good job.

Cecil- haha nice and cute.. jsut the way i like it.. i bet that duck can kick some ass.. dont forget your line weights.. ya know.. jsut cuz its more of a cartoony deal.. itd look sweet with some badass line-weighting..

aph- cool design man.. reminds me ALOT of Zone of the Enders mechs.. ever played that?.. but yo, try using pencil if you are going for a complete finished design.. that way you can draw lightly and sketchy.. then define your lines to make sure they are exact.. precise lines always look more snazzy on mechanical designs.. good work

blanquish- ha nice exclamation point.. like metal gear solid soldiers ha.. but i think you should definately work on your proportions and anatomy some more.. you can never go wrong with that though.. and something also about your clothing or armor.. it looks really flat everything on his body... nothing pops away from his body at all.. looks like you would jsut take a doll and wrap a flat drawing around it.. with nothing popping off of it.. i dunno jsut keep practicing.. but nice job nonetheless!

Killer Napkins- let me critique myself.. design .. too simple.. been done before.. take more time on it and finish it for hells bells.. the textures are cool but dont over kill with the same texture to coverup the poor unfinished rendering.. study more anatomy.. the arms look long as hell.. and like a human wouldnt be inside of it without his limbs ripped from the sockets..

Mini-Sloth- this a good start.. you have a long way to go.. you are young .. so thats good.. jsut keep going at it.. and keep going with the tablet.. but like everything you must study your anatomy and reference anything youre drawing if you are trying a new design.. but keep it upp. good work dude!

so.. overall everyone did an exquisite job.. but like every artist.. there is always room for improvement.. so.. i know i need to do more studying.. and referencing materials that im working with.. aas should everyone else too.. but yo.. everyone ROCKIN WORK!!! keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went for prophet.
    Dile whishes for envos, and I partially agree, Its to many strong-man-competitions. Though I personally dislike making environments so I request somethin else. More randomlike topics perhaps, or atleast some more fun topics.

Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup guys.
    Nice round again

Tnx vorbis and napkin for the comments, i know everyone will apreciate!

Voted for wombat, cause his concept was the most terrifying.
    Evil sloth, Killer-N, aph and vorbis caught my eye aswell.

lewis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm i supose the duck could have a certain amount of evil in him..... All the things Ducks have to survive through and then again they have complete control over an army of Elderly people.

[QUOTE=Mini_Sloth]I voted for Evil_sloth(not cos were related).... that could help though especialy when your in threatening range. But then again wish I had a relative to help, i mean my grandad got me started but i surpassed him at about 6.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by v0rbiss
    Bestow: pay atention to planes.
    could someone elaborate on this? i'm a nublet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont really have any anatomy books Big-ish Sloth has those. Plus teh Only references i use are things in my head that i think of.. I just can't make them look as good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bestow
    could someone elaborate on this? i'm a nublet
    They might sneak into your house and attack you from behind like ninjas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, i officially suck at characters, and we all know mine was utter shit.
    I would love to see creatures, or enviros, or something other than characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    next topic; elegance ^^
    I want a girly topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gimme the next round! NOW!

Father Christmas will mess you up.
    Deviantart-page
    its my SKETCHBOOK! first page last page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bestow: What i meant was that right now it looks flat. Like you need to know that his torso has side planes on the chest for example, as anything else has many planes. Try to think in 3D. Any real object can be breaken(WTF???) into infinite number of planes, and every plane reflects light in a different way, because it is lit from a different angle than other planes, therefore it has different value.(and many many more other factros, not only lighting ) It is best to use smaller number of planes at first, because it's easyer, and if masterfully done, the image can be better than photorealistic pic with myriad of values. Read some basic art books too, it'd be far more useful than my illiterate ramblings. Start with Looomis' books, there was some link round here...I don't know exactly where tho.

@Cecil: Well, I apollogise(WTF!..) then, my bad.

On a side note: gimme the next round! NOW!

Last edited by v0rbiss; October 3rd, 2006 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gotta go with evil sloth for all that yummy texturing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prophet got my vote. Evil_sloth was second. Good job everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Evil_Sloth. The mood and details of the piece really caught my eye.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.