• EvilCommunist

1 2.94%

Thread: IDW 0016: Inter-Galactic Transport Ship [VOTING]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW 0016: Inter-Galactic Transport Ship [VOTING]

Topic: Inter-Galactic Transport Ship

Secondary Title: Peaceful Planetary People Plopper for Popsicle Pushing Podiatrists
    (Courtesy & care of a comatose Cotron)

Background: We've reached the stars and now have to transport people through our galaxy and into others - design a ship that does just that.

Brief:

1. Transports people through the known universe.

2. Inclusion of alliteration will be looked upon highly.

-------------------

D-Holme

The front of the ship is heavy shielding to protect the crew and passengers from the hash radiation as the vessel pushes through hyperspace. A larger emitter array is built into the fore which produces hyperspace fissures that the vessel travels through. The command tower contains the vessels operation controls and communication systems whilst the tower behind contains luxurious cabins and facilities for first class passenger with 2nd and 3rd class lower down in the ship.

-------------------

Dragonspit

The T.O.M. (Terran-Occupant-Manager) Toting Torpedo Tube
    was used to flop folks around to the now many habital planets in our neck of the woods. It was named the torpedo tube in reference to its old war counterpart.

-------------------

kovah

Concord carries consistantly corrosive concrete cup capsuals

-------------------

Sogbad

Tramp Transport for Total Travel Towards Twilight
    While the rich, famous and good travel between the stars, their every whim catered for aboard fabulously sleek and beautiful starships, most have to do with passage aboard self contained units strapped to a Tramp Interstellar Locomotive. The Locomotive's are operated independently of the units which it pushes across the Universe. Once a route and schedule has been published by the Locomotive company independent agents book a unit of a certain mass to be attached to the Locomotive. These Units can range from large relatively luxurious accommodation, similar in facilities and comfort of a luxury hotel down to basic air tight steel containers with barely enough facilities to keep the occupants alive for the entire trip, indeed many unscrupulous agents simply pack as many passengers as will fit into tiny units not caring about the survivability.

Due to the huge profit's made and the dubious liability issues most locomotives are registered and operated under flags of convenience, the Hermes although owned by a large Asian corporation is registered out of La Plaze, Bolivia.

-------------------

Chuck Wadey

The gliding Gateliner graces the greater galaxies & gets good gas... mileage. And Stuff.
    The commercial gateliners travel continuously between the stars, hitting one rendezvous point per system on their route. Upon rendezvous, one or more shuttle shells may couple aboard for the next major burn, or detach to ferry passengers planetside.

-------------------

Act.Appalled

Inter-Galatic Immigrants Investigate Into Infinity
    With the advent of trans-galatic exporlation the earth viewed space as a vast ocean and was in a need of a ship capable of both high speed and large volume of passengers. The designers of the GAL-XE sought out to create a vessel based upon those luxury cruises, deep sea submarines and speed boats of years past. The GAL-XE although rather large is higly manuverable due to its streamlined shape, and two front splitters, allowing it to change course within seconds. It is also equipped with three large jet turbine engines. These not being the most technologically advanced, however they out accelerate any modern electromagnet propulsion system, which is crucial if ever encountered with an unforseen black hole.

-------------------

Flip

Human Hauling Hulk for re-Habitation

-------------------

EvilCommunist

Affordabe Advanced Aeronautics for Abandonment Abroad
    also known as a spacejunk

These solar-sail powered ships are known to cruise through outerspace selling wares and taking low-paying travellers to their destinations. The ships vary, but the majority are made from old reworked containers.
    If you're thinking of travelling in one, get life insurance.

-------------------

Comments:
    D-Holme, there was enough to your WIP that I thought it should be included, although a bit of alliteration would've helped.
    Good job to everyone else with the alliteration, wow!

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sogbad - great! nice detailed writeup, functional and credible design, great illustration.

d-holme - nice model. would have loved to see some textures on it. i like the way you explained its structure design. hyperspace fissures...tht's good sci fi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally voted for Sogbad - a strong image based on a good and detailed concept and description.

EvilCommunist - an interesting idea
    Flip - I found the scale and angle reminiscent of various classic Sci-Fi pieces
    Chuck Wadey - liked the shuttle/carrier concept working a continuous route.

----------------------
    Flip: thanks for including my work, I appreciate that even though it is unfinished. (Alliteration maybe should have been Regal Ranger Ravaged by Recent Responsibilities)

I will texture the model up at some point and put it up in the 3D section, overkilled on a lot of details (some of which aren't even visible) definitely need better planning when it comes to weekly contests in future.

Last edited by D-Holme; October 2nd, 2006 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote went to Sogbad. it was realistic yet still a very dynamic illustration. I liked it as soon as I saw it.

D-Holm: super nice design. I would have liked to see it finished though.
    Chuck: I liked the animated style this is in. To me, the ship in the left corner takes some attention away from the scene, but thats just me.
    Evil Comm. Most likely the realistic design of the future. a box with wings. Your was simply not as dynamic as Sogbad's. Would have been nice to see what you did for a background.

I thought it was a decent round, but I did expect more entries. Onward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Sogbad becuase it's all cool and stuff.

Sogbad- I'm a little bothered by the tangent where the top tip of the ship hits the top edge of the image. But it apparently didn't bother me enough not to vote for it. Rock on.

EvilCommunist- Your ship is drawn in 2pt perspective but the two points aren't on the same horizon line (or rather, they are on the same line but your vertical lines aren't perpendicular to that horizon line). That's a problem. I'll do a paint-over if you don't believe me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wadey
    EvilCommunist- Your ship is drawn in 2pt perspective but the two points aren't on the same horizon line (or rather, they are on the same line but your vertical lines aren't perpendicular to that horizon line). That's a problem. I'll do a paint-over if you don't believe me.
    I believe you...I have trouble with perspective. I wouldn't mind the paint-over if it's not too much trouble.

I voted for Sogbad since it's all around good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilCommunist
    I wouldn't mind the paint-over if it's not too much trouble.
    I used the line tool (u) in photoshop to draw these straight lines. It's a good idea to keep a layer with a horizon line and some vanishing points to refer to as you paint - to keep things in perspective.

I hope this helps. You painted very well, just sent your lines to the wrong spot. Now next time you'll know what to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done Sogbad!

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.