Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Michelle's Book of Sketches (Updated! Now with more calcium!)

Hi everybody, I'm kinda new here, I have a thread in the Finally Finished forum but decided to go ahead and do this sketch thing.

My sketchbook is thus transferred into digital thingamabobs for your viewing horror--I mean pleasure.

I've been trying harder lately to really work on anatomy and perspective with my figures, as you can see from these odd poses I put poor Christine in (I love POTO very much XD). She being forced to bow in that first picture and I know Erik's arm in the second picture is like totally squashing her tummy. O_o I've had figure drawing classes before and it's all fine when you're there and you can reference the person easily but when you draw from your mind directly it's like...um...hope that shoulder's in the right place. XD I guess it's that practice thing again!

And I've been having the oddest hardest time with faces lately (in this comic style) so I churned out like a ton of drawings in the past couple of days. During my Maya class last night I ended up using a huge chunk of my sketchbook...well, we were doing Mel scripting and the numbers were frightening to my right-brained mind so I think it had a rebellion...

And there's this really cool comm on LJ where all comments have to be in picture form and one topic was what got you into computer graphics/art/animation etc, so I drew up a couple of these. Even though I've always wanted to be an animator/artist since I was like...four? I really started getting serious about it after I watched Space Jam in the fifth grade and found that the drawings I did of the Looney Tunes kinda looked like them. Also Sonic the Hedgehog and the Archie comics influenced me even before that. Yay for old skool Sonic without the green eyes and the buckles!

Also does anyone have any other tips on cleaning up scanned pencil lines? I fiddle around with Levels and Brightness/Contrast, a couple of these are drawn first in blue col-erase and even when I use only the Blue channel, change it to grayscale to kill the rest of the channels...I still get weird ghost lines and icky looking scans, as you can see from the Bugs and Sonic pics below.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by piratemasque; December 23rd, 2006 at 08:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start to your sketchbook. For practice I would suggest drawing from life...a lot. Whether it is sitting at the mall or grabbing a magazine, it is the fastest way you will see improvement. It will also bleed over and help you with your catooning skills as well. Keep at it!!

Last edited by silvestri99; October 5th, 2006 at 02:59 PM.
    ...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    silvestri99--Thanks for the tips and thanks for taking a look, I appreciate it!

I tried to make this piece down here more proportonate, I read from the Loomis book (such an awesome resource) and tried to fit all the pieces where they should go, the dastardly puzzle. XD I dunno if it looks okay right now, usually I have to step away from stuff and come back like the next day to see the mistakes...O_o

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, my opinion is that you should work a bit more on proportions. Some are correct while others are not. Such as the armlength looks correct while the armwidth is not, the hips need some work too. I find just copying straight from the examples in the book first helpful, rather than sticking with the cartoony style and trying a pose (listen to Loomis' instructions in his book, he tells you to copy his examples! ).

If you're having trouble with life drawing and feeling like it only looks good when you're using the ref, when you're using the ref dont' just draw what you see but memorize it and brand it into your mind what a specific part looks like. This is the best advice I have for this and its how I started drawing except I just drew actors from movies and TV I watched rather than life drawing classes. About the cleaning of lines, adjusting the levels is all I ever really need to use to be satisfied with mine, but I figure when you have as many lines as in the top 2 drawings it won't turnout as well.

Well! aside from the crits, you show action and emotion in your drawings which I like a lot, keep posting in here and post in some other people's sketchbooks to get some replies in here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, note to self: read the entire page. I had assumed your other thread WAS you're sketchbook. Jeez. Well good to see this up Michelle. I've not much more to say, but I look forward to lots more posting.

As far as cleaning up scans- you'll never get finished pencils by just scannig in roughs. If you want a finished drawing, keep it as clean as you can on paper before you scan it in. In the mean time, just keep playing around with the adjustments, or give the Unsharp Mask a try, until you get something your happy with.

--
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice, but the anatomy is not really ok. I'm not keen on anatomy myself, but the last girl's shoulders and belly look pretty odd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, a lovely set of comments from all 'K's here. ^^

Kvick--Thanks a bunch, and thanks for that memory tip. *thwacks own brain* I must remember!

Kitiker--Coolness, and I do appreciate all the great comments and tips you left me, thanks so much!

Keenox--Yeah, it does! Coming back a little later to see it with 'new eyes' so to speak really changes it. I'm like--ewww, she looks lopsidedly awkward. How could I not see this!? Thanks though! ^__^

Here's a random Basil thing from re_image, where you had to draw yourself in the style of your favorite movie as a kid. I think I also liked Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast just as much as GMD, and Lion King too, but the styles of the first three are so similar I wanted to try something different. But I did love GMD so very much.

And the POTO thing is mostly a practice in inking, I have NO idea how to ink like the comic book people do so I was just trying to see if it could look vaguely like them.

Anyway, I've been real busy lately but I'll try to do more life drawings and stuff soonly!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a nice start and i know what you mean about coming back the next day and finding all your mistakes. Keep the drawings coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks rmore! Yeah, it's a sad thing. Sometimes I look at my drawings backwards through a bright light or turn them upside down to see what's really wrong with them. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love the faces form the first schetches really nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey PirateMasque (Real name? :p)

Yeah, I started out with learning proportion and drawing from life. You can learn a lot from books, but you also need to supplement that knowledge with practice in life so your eye recognises what is real and rejects what is not.
    It took me a while to get used to actually going out to coffee places and sketching people sitting down and walking around, but you get used to it. My advice is just to carry a little sketchbook around in your bag and take those opportunities! You also gain a wide variety of different shapes of people as well, if you go out.
    With the characters from imagination though, make sure you know where everything is in the body, and then your manikins and body construction frames will look more confident and thus better, really.
    Reading also helps me with my imaginative drawings... mm, but nice style and expression in your current stuff. In your last drawing of the woman though, my brain's telling me that the right shoulder looks a little too small.

Keep posting and don't lose heart~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice job really like the faces and the structure ius really well done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I haven't been here in ages.

Thanks for all your help guys (up there in the thread XD). I took an animal drawing class (like I had any choice, it was part of our curriculum, but I'm so very glad I took it) and here are some examples of what we did. We went to the zoo and the aquarium too, to life-draw the animals instead of only relying on the book. (The otter actually was a stuffed otter from the aquarium.) The crab came from, well, we actually drew them in class. Yep, it stunk pretty bad. But they were fun to draw, despite being totally gross. I love eating crabs but those little mouth things are just...UGH. The bunny and bear life drawings are from the animal drawing book:
    "The Art of Animal Drawing" By Ken Hultgren, but the cartoons like the noir bunny and the bear n' stuff are mine.

Last edited by piratemasque; December 23rd, 2006 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was trying to paint my noir bunny, but wanted to have that really stark contrast that the Noir films have but then it ended up all soft...Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I likethe chareacter designs and the start of the progression on the last post. Keep posting!@

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thnx for stopping by my SB

good stuff i like the crab and bears and of course the girls . I keep hearing about this Loomis book and i have trouble with proportions and humans in general...can somebody point me to it??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    silvestri99--Thanks for the comment and the encouragement! ^__^

kakapoopie--No prob, thanks too! I used to have the link somewhere...someone else directed it too me too! I guess you can just ask around, it's a pretty popular book and I'm sure someone else knows how to get to it.

DARAF--Thanks for the encouragement! ^__^

Here are some POTO sketches from the CD cover booklet. Yeah, I must look like a total fangirl with so many POTO things in this thread...XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few ink sketches from references. Finished the Cap'n Jack sketch in class tonight. Did them all by pen, no pencil or anything, just to see if I could do it and keep the proportions right and everything, like my friend does. Twas a challenge of me own...XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For my recent sketches, I would ask that you look here at this page I uploaded in my Deviant art (it's too huuuuge to be here and I'm too lazy to break it up into bits here) XD. There's some examples of my own work as well as referenced stuff from Jim Lee and Alex Ross's arts.

And anyway I like Michaelangelo the best out of TMNT. These pieces I uploaded now were done with Prismacolor markers and (obviously) touched up in photoshop, some more than others...I only got my markers recently (the beginning of this year) and it's been fun trying to get the hang of them, I haven't used them before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    refine those lines, and try make sure you nail the basic structure of your characters before adding the details. Try not draw so much fan art. if you are going to draw characters, make your own, that way you exercise your imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good to see you're still posting. What I really enjoyed were those animal studies, particularly the bear. I'd really love to see more anatomy studies up here (human and animal). Your forms are getting better, and if you do studies regularly you'll REALLY be able to see a jump in improvement.

Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Really solid foundation, and I love your use of line. I agree with the others though, do some more master or anatomy studiiieess! Thanks for stopping by in my SB. :]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.