Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Thanks
    Sorry, repeated post. Damn error...
    Last edited by a/z; January 20th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    HI All,

Ok I had the same problem with choosing the right beast for the job.
    I have started same as most of us. Questions Questions & Questions
    Reading all the things photographers or amateurs has to say.
    I got so much info, I couldn't really decide, and by that time I was confused with all info I had in my head.

So the things to be considered:

1. What are you going to use it for? Landscape, Portraits, Macro...
    2. Go to the shop take for instance camera body’s form Nikon and Canon. See how good they fit into your hands. If you have big hands, battery grip could fix that problem. Ask question, annoy sales person, that’s why he is here. But, don't buy it straight away That's why he is there as well...
    Size does matter, not only for hands, weight as well.
    When you are on a journey and you have a heavy body and 1-2 lenses, trust me you won’t go mount-climbing that easily
    3. Next step is lens. IF it comes with basic KIT LENS, don't worry and get it. Canon 550/500/400D, all of them are pretty good entry DSLR with kit lens 18-55 (IS -Image Stabilization - preferably) If you have spare cash. Get portrait lens 50mm F1.8 or even better F1.4 for good background blur.
    4. I was never a Nikon user. But my friend is using it, and he get some really good shots with it, But very often it comes to optics that you use.
    5. People are crazy about megapixels. Well at some stage it was important, but for cameras like Canon 400D and onwards it's not a problem anymore-lens is more important in terms of quality.
    6. 8mp is enough for most things unless you are printing big posters

I started form 400D+kit lens, later on, my camera went swimming, so got myself Canon 40D, and it's a big good camera that fit's in your hands no battery grip needed. Lens was the same; it helped me realize what I need in a future for my projects. I'm not planning to change my body, unless I will hit a jackpot and then I will get myself 5D marks II. But for now I'm more than happy.
    On the market it's sometimes cheaper to get OLD 40D/50D instead of 550D or whatever they release in a near future and thrust me, controls on semi pro camera like 40D are much user-friendly than on 500D. Thrust me on that one. Getting 40D is much better choice that 500D in a lot of ways.
    Next thing you will want to get is a speed light. Maybe at the start 430ex or if cash available 580ex.

Just to point out one thing. Photography is very expensive hobby, unless you do make money with it.

Don't take old Nikon body’s, the only have 3 focusing AF system, canon are better in that case.

Back to lenses: I was never a rich person, so I couldn't afford a very expensive L lenses. So E-bay was and Is my solution for that.
    My first L was old discontinued Canon 80-200 F2.8 and after I put it on my camera. My 18-55 kit lens went to the shelf of NO-return. Most images on that website are taking with that lens, please have a look: http://www.lifeisphoto.ru/kvitalij

What else can I say. I had my time of reading thru review. And I can say I'm a Canon user, and yes I love L lenses with Red stripe. And yes I wouldn’t change it, for Nikon!

Money quite often is an Issue for everyone, so get yourself as a starter if you can 40D with kit lens or 50mm, if it’s too much, get 400D with kit lens, or 50mm. You will still get great results.
    Nikon choice, read reviews on photography sites for specific models.

Hope it helps. And you will make you decision easier now!
    Happy shooting and getting good DSLR

Questions, email me: kvitalij82@gmail.com

Regards Evryone

Thanks
    Well I was in need of a new camera and after doing research I stumbled onto this site from a thread here on CA.org.

Ken Rockwell

If you are new to cameras like I am and are unsure about "what does what" and "what do I need", then I recommend browsing this site for about an hour. Very simple to understand and in plain language Ken educated me on the myths about camera "numbers" and such. I went with the camera he recommends; the Nikon D5000. This camera with lens goes for $650 at walmart (you'll have to have it shipped to the store or your house) or $750 at target and bestbuy...HOWEVER my wife found it online for $535.00! First thing I said to her was "Oh that's just for the body probably." [changed info here] my wife may have been lured into a scam so I'm canceling my order then going to Walmart probably.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jason Ross; August 8th, 2010 at 07:07 PM.
    Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Not sure how valid it is to post to an older thread so I hope I don't get shot for this- but having seen you post Jason I have an alarm bell for you;
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Daily_Deal_Digital

Resellerratings is a good website to check for online shop validity - it is just user reviews on shops, but it is a good place to start for researching lesser known shops. Having quickly read that the price was much lower I got a little worried (few places can afford to charge less than the market leaders like Adorama, B&H, Amazon etc..) and some of the reviews mention that it (Daily Digital Deal) is a bait and switch operation.

You might be lucky and get your order - however I would be tempted to cancel and make sure that right after cancelling your order with them you tell your credit card company to cancel payments to them as well - unless they already have your money. If they do cancel and make sure you get a full refund - if they start to take time or prove difficult put your card company onto them (note if you use a debit instead of credit card some debit cards are now getting more protections so all is not lost if you talk to your bank).

I do wish you luck with this and hope all comes out well for you.

Also I would recommend reading KenRockwells site with a heavy dose of salt - some of what he writes is correct, but a lot is mixed in with his own spin, missleading statements and is often tailored toward his own viewpoint in matters. Sometimes he hits the nail on the head, but often times he misses - and that leads to confusions for many. Simply put if you know the subject you can see where he is making mistakes or tailoring words to promote a certain feature more than it should be, but if you don't then its hard to sift the good from the bad.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to overread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wink Re: What digital camera should I get?

My answer to this question would be: Buy the best camera in the smallest, most convenient size (pocket size) so you can capture those unexpected moments like a bird crossing the road using a pedestrian crossing, or the birth of a rainbow, or three rainbows in ten minutes, a cat surprised by an earthworm popping up out of the ground after rain!

Thanks
    Well since this thread is still here, and already here. I decided not to make a new thread about asking what camera to buy. I'll keep it clear and simple and hope that one of you guys is able to inform me a little bit better. I'm looking for a simple camera to take reference photo's with, my budget would atleast be ±200€. The things that I would take photographs of would mostly be environments and sometimes macro photo's. I personally don't have any preference to brand, aslong as I can quickly pick up my camera and take a shot at the current location. Oh, and it would be nice if it has a function to quickly snap photo´s right after eachother.

Thanks
    As a painter who channels photographs, Nikon D3100 and FujiFilm FinePix S1500, both fine inexpensive cameras, work well for me.
    artsnooze@gmail.com
    Berkeley CA

Thanks
    Really most point and shoot cameras will meet those needs. You might want to consider one that is weather sealed though.

Thanks
    You can get a good camera for under $500 (you will want a tripod and extra memory cards for video)
    I have a Nikkon 3100 coolpix, its 14 megapixels. 5x wide opitcal zoom and 23mm lens. It has different settings you can change Its not a bad camera, but its not the best. It cost like 80 dollars.
    Sometimes I will touch the picture up with GIMP for more effect and to customize the look to bring out different details and colors.
    Cool Stuff to check out:
    Collins Visual Creations
    http://www.cafepress.com/visualcollin
    Cool Curtains
    http://www.cafepress.com.au/coolcurtains
    You can also see me at Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6g...HVOC6mMuwt4Jmg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinBru View Post
    You can get a good camera for under $500 (you will want a tripod and extra memory cards for video)
    I have a Nikkon 3100 coolpix, its 14 megapixels. 5x wide opitcal zoom and 23mm lens. It has different settings you can change Its not a bad camera, but its not the best. It cost like 80 dollars.
    Sometimes I will touch the picture up with GIMP for more effect and to customize the look to bring out different details and colors.
    This ok for beginner stuff, but you'll want to upgrade pretty fast in most cases.

Thanks
    Go for Nikon. The Nikon D810 has an ultra-high resolution full frame sensor and a surprisingly affordable price tag for a professional camera. In fact, many well-heeled enthusiasts have scraped up the cash to buy it too. It has no anti-aliasing filter in front of the sensor which produces even sharper fine detail. The D810 is a classic DSLR which shows the view through the lens via a mirror (which flips up at the moment of exposure) and an optical viewfinder, and it's at the centre of a huge range of lenses and other accessories for both amateurs and pros.

Thanks
    A lot of the information in this thread is pretty out of date, so I thought I'd update it with my $0.02.

As of 2018, digital cameras have reached a point where just about anything on the market will serve your needs. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax... doesn't matter. They pretty much all make amazing cameras that, even at entry level price points, blow the socks of what even the best professionals were using a decade ago. Unless you're a professional or very advanced amateur the limiting primary factor is almost always going to be the photographer, not the camera.

Just about the only camera I would recommend somebody not buy would be budget compacts (ie anything cheaper than a 1st generation RX100), as at this point manufacturers are just selling junk to suckers who don't realize that any flagship line smartphone is better.

I would also maybe steer clear of superzooms unless you have a really specific need for the reach.

As for what you should buy, like I said it doesn't matter much what make or model you get. But here are a few tips to help you narrow it down:

1. Go down to a local camera store and just see which one fits best in your hand. Something might be amazing on paper, but if the grip doesn't fit your hand you're gonna have a bad time.
    2. If you're really stuck on the mirrorless vs SLR question, you should also check out how you feel about electronic viewfinder vs optical, as that's the primary distinguishing feature between them any more.
    3. If you have a friend with a decent set of lenses, maybe take that into consideration as well.
    4. If this is your first time shopping for a camera, I would strongly recommend you buy used. Most people tend to trade out of their first camera pretty quick once they learn the ins and outs and develop more personal preferences. Buying used and selling it when you're done helps minimize the cost of that process.
    5. Don't blow your whole budget on a fancy camera body. Plan to spend at least as much on lenses and accessories as you do on the camera (Don't just settle for the kit lens. At minimum you probably also want to get a wide to normal focal length prime). And if you're new to photography, I would suggest cutting your budget in thirds, with 1/3rd on the camera body, 1/3rd on lenses and accessories, and 1/3rd on education.
    Last edited by itchyeyes; 6 Days Ago at 06:02 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9