Art: What Digital Camera Should I GET?

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking What Digital Camera Should I GET?

hey guys! been wanting to get a digital camera for a long long time now. and im getting real close to getting one. the thing is im not sure what to get. i definetly want something that can take easy point and shoot, but also want manual control for more artistic images! now as for price i could possibly afford something in the 500 n lower area..

any suggestions on what to get? o and if you all can tell what digtal cams you have that would be cool.

thank you!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Le Gab; September 1st, 2006 at 03:39 PM.
    "The only thing that the world will not have enough of is exaggeration"
    Salvador Dali
    ------
    Don's Daily Sketches! -yay-
    ------
    DonBlogs
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my best suggestion for this is to write out a list of what you actually need. for example, my list (6 months ago when i got mine) was;

small
    digital
    usb or similar data tansfer
    high level of expandable memory
    prescision lens
    decent zoom
    some sort of carry case.

now i would also reccomend going with a well trusted brand (for example olympus), this way you know that you will be buynig a quality camera, and not just some mass produced chinese sweatshop camera. Decide wether you want to get something that has a changeable lens or not. When it comes down to it, you can basically buy two sorts of digital camera. the yuppi small pocket sized camera (there is nothing wrong with these) but you cannot normally change the lens on these. The other sort is the several thousand dollar digital camera with changeable lenses (a friend of mine has a several thousand dollar one that is 12 mega pixel or something (FUCK)). <<-EDIT: BAAAHAHAHA, that seemed so outrageous back then!

My biggest reccomendation is to write a list of what you want and need and then go and talk to a sales assistant in a well known camera shop.

finally, good luck

i ended up with a olympus mju: 400 and it has been the most awesome camera ever. i would highly reccomend it to anyone

Last edited by andres_pad; September 2nd, 2006 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    andres_pad - thanks buddy!!!!

Salvador Dali
    ------
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are less expensive digital s.l.r.'s with manual controls, i use a fujifilm finepix s5000, works alot like a modern 35mm slr (ie: minolta maxxum 5) as far as having Programmed, Aperture metering, Shutterspeed metering and Manual controls, also has additional features that a 35mm slr does not have, like flouerescent light compensation, and what not, ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought an olympus D-575
    small, cheap and good quality!
    I love it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i also have a fuji finepix but the s602 with the hard drive in it....
    does for me.....

krispee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillartsympho
    there are less expensive digital s.l.r.'s with manual controls, i use a fujifilm finepix s5000, works alot like a modern 35mm slr (ie: minolta maxxum 5) as far as having Programmed, Aperture metering, Shutterspeed metering and Manual controls, also has additional features that a 35mm slr does not have, like flouerescent light compensation, and what not, ...
    :hmm: You can't really compare a consumer digital like that with a 35mm SLR. It is not an SLR actually. You can't change lenses. Image quality is worse. Speed is worse. Viewfinder is worse. Pretty much anything is worse.
    And if you want fluorescent light compensation (white balance you think of I guess)... you can use either a filter or Tungsten film with your 35mm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your input guys!!! researched a bit further...might get a nikon coolpix 4300, it has pretty much everything that i want...pretty much. and the price is affordable being in the 300-400 area. has manual controls along with the normal automatic settings....plus ive had a photography class before and my instructor had a coolpix and it took really nice photographic type images...

...ill research a little bit more...thanks a bunch! :cyclops:

Salvador Dali
    ------
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally got the Kodak easyshare dx7440, it was rated the best in its price range(350 - 450) by a digital camera magazine. I found it for 295 at buydig.com with free shipping. Its pretty simple to use and takes nice pictures with room for options.

Drawing everyday since 10/04

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the Fuji Finepix s5000 and I love it. It has all the settings you need (basics) as well as 10x Optical zoom and decen macro capabilites for a great price.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SylkX
    I found it for 295 at buydig.com with free shipping.
    I ordered mine from buydig.com also. I was very pleased with their service and pricing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Check out the features comparison guide at Digital Photography Review\ before you commit to the Fuji Finepix.

Btw, anyone know of a similar guide for Mini DV cams?

-Bad Mange

If I ventured in the slipstream between the viaducts of your dreams
    Where immobile steel rims crack and the ditch in the back roads stop
    Could you find me?
    - Van Morrison, "Astral Weeks"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about the Canon Powershot A80? Im thinking of getting that one, it has got some good reviews. Also it has a swivel screen which makes it easier to take shots high up or close to the ground, without putting your cheek in the dust.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great! thanks for all your input on your digicams! looked up some of your guys's cams and they are all pretty good...Morbid that swivel screen does sound handy for those extreme angled shots! hmmmmm... BadMange thanx for the link! i also found a link that helps guide you through a bunch of questions/specifications you want in a camera and at the end it shows you all the cameras that fit your answers...but as im looking through my favorites i cannot seem to find the freaking link! so as soon as i find it ill post it up...sorry hehehe

Salvador Dali
    ------
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New problems for you.

I want to take up photography as a hobby or maybe even a job after a while but, I have no clue what so ever on digital cameras. I could really do with some help from whoever can give it. I don't understand any jargon either, so you would have to help me out there as well.

Specifications would be:

<£400 not $
    Any weight
    Must be durable
    Have no idea about pixels, as long as its a decent amount
    Must have USB function

All in all, as long as its good but not too good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Assuming you havent already got one then the main thing to consider is what sort of photo your taking.

Ive got an Olympus C-720, which is a great camera with good adjutability for my photo's. I just arse around etc...

My one problem is that I've started taking alot of pictures at motoring (mainly motorbikes) events and obviously they travel at high speed. My camera would be perfect for what I do if I only took pictures of flora and fauna etc (which i do alot of too). But theres a slight delay when taking pictures from me pressing the button to a picture being captured. I therefore have to work out when to press my button to get a good shot.
    This happens with all cameras, but this one is particularly slow. So if you want fast moving pictures then get something that has a small time delay.

Use that photo comparison website shown as its the best one around(to my knowledge).

My camera cost about £240 (equivalent to $450-US) that was about a year+ ago. Camera prices change so rapidly it's unbelievable. could probably pick my camera up for nearer $350-us now, probably less.

Make sure its got 3.0 mega pixel capability at the minimum, most in the price range your talking have now.

Cockney boy, but south of the river!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

To be honest, there wouldn't be problems with a delay because it really wouln't affect me at all. I'm not going to leap into buying it just yet, I want to read some other peoples advice first. Although, the C-720 seems to match everything I want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    The thing thats always talked about are megapixels. But in fact many (and I agree) claim that 2 megapixels are enough.
    It is especially true if you (like me) want to use it for thumbnailing and inspirational images to draw/paint from.

So if you want to go cheap, find a camera with a good 2 megapixelchip, a quality lens (zoom or not) and a good signal processing chip. You see many cameras have many pixels, but perhaps bad lenses or mess things up by coding the info bad or then just mess all up when they compress the files to jpg.

Im biased towards nikon (this is because I have an "analog" F90 since 10 years and some lenses and friends with more lenses...), my brother has an "old" coolpix 2100 that i find very attractive and extremely easy too use.
    Im thinking of trying to save for a Nikon D70, which seems really good and in the right pricerange (which for me is "just within reach" ).

Some links:
    http://www.fotosidan.se (sorry itys in swedish, but like me theres a lotta swedes here )
    http://www.dpreview.com
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../nikon_d70.asp

GL

. . . F I G H T - T H E - B O R E D O M . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great, thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm happy with my canon powershot a80. Somtimes I wish I could zoom in more but that's not something you get (at least not with some trade-offs) wihout going up in price.

Before I got it (in the last quarter of 2003) I did pretty much research on cameras that offered a number of manual controls but didn't cost too much, my impression then was that most cameras in the same pricerange were pretty equal in terms of image quality and features and the swivel screen was pretty much what tiped my decision over in the a80's favour.

Now there are probably several new models out on the market though and prices will be different so I don't know what I'd choose today without looking around at sites like http://www.dpreview.com

All the photos I've posted here on CA are taken with my a80.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a tele/wide lens converter thingie for the A80... dont know how much it is but if you want more zoom you could check it out Bear!

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I would ever need an extreme zoom and my budget probably wouldn't cover it, even though fate usualy makes me need one as soon as I start snapping away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillartsympho
    The S5000 is not an SLR in any respect. As a camera, it's a decent unit for the price, but you can't compare it to an SLR, because it does not have a Single Lens Reflex setup, or any of the attendant optics. There do exist true digital SLRs, and at this time, all of them price out at around $1000. The key advantage to such systems is easy access to manual controls, and a TRUE OPTICAL VIEWFINDER that sees THROUGH THE LENS. This is a very important thing to many photographers; All digital cameras that are not SLR, rangefinder, or medium format back use an LCD in the back to preview the image. Additionally, many of these cameras have a separate small LCD in the viewfinder. These LCDs can't refresh or update changes in the scene as quickly as a true optical viewfinder can, so that's an important difference to consider. Also, the ability to change lenses, and buy different lenses for different purposes, is another hallmark of SLRs. Also, ALL digital SLRs can compensate for lighting temperature changes (It's the white balance setting.) Film SLRs need not do this because the analog medium does not require such correction.

The prices of digital SLRs, and in fact, all digital cameras, should be seeing an adjustment around September, when Photokina in Germany gets started. Expect a flood oa new cameras announced, and price drops on all updated or discontinued model. It would be to your advantage to wait a few more months and see what kinds of models are announced at Photokina this year, as the compeition between the digital big boys (Canon, Nikon, and Fuji) is starting to heat up.

Hope that helps!

Arka C.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I see everyone talking about Dpreview

It is a good site indeed, but have you tried Http://www.steves-digicams.com ? In my opinion is one of the best in camera reviews.

Also IR is another good one: http://www.imaging-resource.com

Consider these before buying any camera

Regards,
    Ali the Nake
    ===============
    My Portofolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alithenake - fantastic links! especially image resource they do such a detailed review of cameras its insane! thanks for the links!!! much appreciated!!!

Salvador Dali
    ------
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, thanks for all the help. I've decided to get an Olympus C-720 UZ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i finally ordered a nikon coolpix 4300! will hopefully getting it this weekend!!!

this thread has started to become a very informational thread...i dig it!!! thanks for all your input and sharing your digicams!!!!

keep takin pictures everybody!

Salvador Dali
    ------
    ------
    DonBlogs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sell cameras quite a bit....don't buy a Kodak or a Fuji or a Panasonic or a Sony ...

Basically stick with Olympus/Canon/Nikon seriously those brand's cameras are FAR beyond the quality of other cameras.

I'll post more to this thread later, a helpful site is www.dpreview.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ach, C-720 turned out to be in New york rather than England, even though it directly said, "Item Location - England"

Im going to consider the Fujifilm FinePix S602Z, anyone got any pro's or con's about this?

Ach, again! I could really do with a decent SLR like camera bundle because I have no idea what kind of extras I would need to get.

please

Last edited by Fog_cartoons; August 13th, 2004 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as far as Fuji's go the 602 isn't bad...

the really lame thing about Fuji's (and Olympus cameras) is that they use the XD memory card, which is just a smaller version of the poorly designed smart media card...more on this when i get back from the wedding i'm shooting...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 17