Art: What Digital Camera Should I GET? - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What Digital Camera Should I GET?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When the digital pixels reach white it just cant go any further, there is a finer graduation in film. But then digital has so many advantages. You can control the white balance and its much much more convinient.

There is a great site on the issue here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm

/Daniel

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What's the choice of today's top class portrait photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbid
    When the digital pixels reach white it just cant go any further, there is a finer graduation in film. But then digital has so many advantages. You can control the white balance and its much much more convinient.

There is a great site on the issue here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filmdig.htm
    Thanks for the link to the article.

Do you know if today's top class portrait photographers use digital cameras when they shoot black and white? I wonder if such photographers as Helmut Newton and Patrick Demarchelier use digital cameras.

Last edited by Thomas Dickinson; May 22nd, 2006 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't say for sure. I have seen a few professional portrait photographers who use digital backs, but film is still superioir in quality. My guess would be they use film.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I should purchase a 120 film back instead of a digital one. If I had enough money to buy a digital back, I'd buy strobes and an enlarger.

By the way, what does "SSGXVI - The Unseen Sixteen" mean?

Last edited by Thomas Dickinson; May 22nd, 2006 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats my sketchgroup. See http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...oup#post871773.
    Basically a group of people watching and commenting on each others sketchbook threads.

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys I'm new here I just need some help because I'm torn between 2 DSLR cameras.

Firstly I'm pretty new to photography.( Yes I'm a newbie but I'm picking up since I'm learning photgraphy in the upcoming weeks and I need to do photography on my school project etc. heehee )

Secondly, I'm currently looking for a camera that would most probably last me for quite some time as you know I'm not rich or whatever. So I've kind of decided to invest on SLR which would probably so.

my two choices: Nikon D70S or Canon Eos 350D (you guys can suggest better ones if the prices ranges around this 2 cameras and I would appreciate if someone could briefly elaborate the difference because I've read the specs but I'm not really sure about it. )

Lastly, I've always wanted to ask.

Can someone tell me how long have these 3 cameras in production? Which of it is easier to handle? and roughly the cost of it back then.

Canon EOS 500
    Nikon F55
    Nikon FE10

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help. Thank you!

Last edited by kikikoman; June 7th, 2006 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Durka Durka

Quote Originally Posted by kikikoman
    Hi guys I'm new here I just need some help because I'm torn between 2 DSLR cameras.

Firstly I'm pretty new to photography.( Yes I'm a newbie but I'm picking since I've to do abit of photography for my school project etc. and you know I want good grades. heehee )

Secondly, I'm currently looking for a camera that would most probably last me for quite some time as you know I'm not rich or whatever. So I've kind of decided to invest on SLR which would probably so.

my two choices: Nikon D70S or Canon Eos 350D (you guys can suggest better ones if the prices ranges around this 2 cameras and I would appreciate if someone could briefly elaborate the difference because I've read the specs but I'm not really sure about it. )

Lastly, I've always wanted to ask.

Can someone tell me how long have these 3 cameras in production? Which of it is easier to handle? and roughly the cost of it back then.

Canon EOS 500
    Nikon F55
    Nikon FE10

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help. Thank you!

I could tackle the dslr question..
    ok.. im no pro but i have seen a lot out on what these camera can produce.
    ill just point out what i think is important ,well to me anyway.

first nikon.. i really like nikons way of producing colors, its like a national geographic type quality,its can produce really rich colors. good focusing in low light, but its so-so with the high noise . its get grainy but its all on taste.for skin tones ,nikon is awesome.

ok now canon ... photos come out a lil bit sharper,due to the lenses, but u gotta know which to buy. uhm as for colors, colors arent outstanding ,thier ok. skin tones, eh thier ok i guess. for high iso, it does a better job than nikon. price for canons gear is a lil cheaper than nikon.

with those things said. invest in photoshop- elements even

depends on what u want out of your picture, really.
    if u want color go with nikon, if u want sharpness go with canon.

i used to have rebel xt but sold it .
    i do have a canon 20d , its just im not satisfied with the colors, im planning to get a nikon d70s in the future. its pretty cheap and price is lowering everytime i check on it.

go to www.dpreview.com go between the brands and hang around the forums.

sony just came out with a dslr. 10mp for less than $999 . consumer use.
    just wait on the reviews

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot! you really save me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, what i ve read/heard so far the nikon D50 is equal to the D70s. and both are a real competion to the EOS 350D.
    Like the others say, the 350D has damn good sharpness, its fast but small (with big hands like mine its dificult to handle sometimes), Nikon is great (from what i heard) with color, cause it has graduation-tools on cam etc. But with his high res and low MP (against 350D) it has problems with moire effects. also it doenst have ISO 100 only 200-1600, this is a point that scares me much.
    The price line is D50 - EOS 350D - D70, in germany they cost with kit ca 580-950€. But there are more costs comming, like different objectives, SD/CF Cards, case, and and and.

I borrowed a EOS 350D and i like it very much, maybe i can try a Nikon too, we will see.
    If so, i ll post my thoughts for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    allright, maybe its a damn fault, but i will buy a Nikon D50. I went to the service point today and told them about the offer from some other stores, they gave me a great offer!!! The big Kit (Case/18-55/55-200/1GB Hyper card) for 690€ (round about 930$)

Edit:
    Changed my mind ^^ EOS is so much better after all and it costs 900$ in the kit now. Lucky me, that i was waiting.

Last edited by vinc; June 23rd, 2006 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright guys! I just got my D50 instead of D70s because i find there isnt much difference btw those 2 and it is much lighter. Now I'm wondering is there any suggetive lens that a beginner can use? The kit gave me a 18-55mm lens. Lastly I'm wondering is there anyway to prevent the lcd from scratches? Furthermore what else do i need? I don't have a drybox( i'm keeping it in the bag they gave me but I was wondering will it be safe?), lens filter(my friends told me to get 1 and I dont really know what is it for.) etc. ( I'm saving for those though) Thanks a lot I really like the camera a lot even though i'm still improving on my shots so I really hope someone would tell me what necessary tools i should get to keep the camera in tip top condition!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The filter you'll want to get is known as a "UV filter". Its nominal function is to keep ultraviolet light out so it doesn't cause purple artifacts in pictures taken in bright daylight. In practice, you use it to protect the front of your lens from scratches and dirt as it's a lot cheaper to get a new filter than a new lens. Plus it just might help the picture quality.

The 18-55mm lens is good for general picture-taking... Kit lenses usually aren't the best quality, but unless you're printing things out at A3 it won't matter too much. At some point you'll want to get a telephoto zoom lens (like a 70-200) and a tripod to expand your range.

Affordable "Super-zoom" lenses like Sigma 18-200 or 28-300 also exist and might be a good option for you as you won't have to swap out the lens in the field and get a good range. Again, their image quality won't be the best, but it'll be plenty good for a beginner especially if you're showing the pictures digitally in a small size like here on the forum. Composition, lighting and colors are what's most important and those are up to you, not the lens...

Last edited by Fingers; June 24th, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
    Also known as Iikka Keränen

Digital Eel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you guys think about the lumix fz7??

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

i'm a total newb when it comes to cameras but i am looking for one that i can use to take pictures of sculptures.. busts aswell as close-ups of wrinkles and pores.
    I kinda fell in love with the lumix when i first saw/read about it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon which cam to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    What do you guys think about the lumix fz7??

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

i'm a total newb when it comes to cameras but i am looking for one that i can use to take pictures of sculptures.. busts aswell as close-ups of wrinkles and pores.
    I kinda fell in love with the lumix when i first saw/read about it

i would say keep looking around. and not judge so much on the bells and whistles on the camera, take a look on how the photos are.

dpreview is a great site and heres another for ya.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At the moment I have some avant low-price camera, and I'd like to have something more spicy, but as Im new to cameras I don't really know what I should go for,

Canon PowerShot S3-IS, Canon PowerShot S2-IS or any other camera for max 750$, and for that price I want rechargeble batteries, atleast 512mb memory and.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp D-slr

Quote Originally Posted by Arp
    At the moment I have some avant low-price camera, and I'd like to have something more spicy, but as Im new to cameras I don't really know what I should go for,

Canon PowerShot S3-IS, Canon PowerShot S2-IS or any other camera for max 750$, and for that price I want rechargeble batteries, atleast 512mb memory and.

y not shoot for a dslr? nikon d50 $680 and $780 FOR A CANON REBEL XT on amazon.com and 1 gig cards are like $30-$50 each these days..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe I posted a topic in this forum a few months ago. I have an old canon SLR with 2 lenses. I had been trying to decide if I should get a dSLR or stick to film. Since I already had a film camera then I stuck to using film. After using it for several months, I have found out what I like and what I don't like. I don't like taking many pictures of portraits, or animals. I love landscapes and buildings though and I like to take some candid shots. Lugging around the SLR is getting to be a burden too. I keep it in my car, but I cannot take it everywhere. I have been trying out the idea of getting compact digital camera. I think it would suit my needs a bit more. I'd like to find one reasonably priced, with 6-8megapixels, I don't need a swivel screen (I think I would just break it off by accident), and it would have to be good at landscape pictures (Strong blues and greens are what I like best )

I've already started doing some research but if you guys have any recommendations, please post them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ukanfoff
    y not shoot for a dslr? nikon d50 $680 and $780 FOR A CANON REBEL XT on amazon.com and 1 gig cards are like $30-$50 each these days..
    Oh, thanks for the help, I haven't even checked amazon.com yet, and I found a package offer that offered Nikon D50 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 28-80mm f3.3-5.6G AF Nikkor Zoom Lens+1gig card for $646.44.
    And about the lens, is 28-80mm fairly good and is 18-55mm that much better?

EDIT: now I saw "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sony Cybershots are pretty good, might want to check them out as well. The colors are RICH!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy 18-55

Quote Originally Posted by Arp
    Oh, thanks for the help, I haven't even checked amazon.com yet, and I found a package offer that offered Nikon D50 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera with 28-80mm f3.3-5.6G AF Nikkor Zoom Lens+1gig card for $646.44.
    And about the lens, is 28-80mm fairly good and is 18-55mm that much better?

EDIT: now I saw "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S."
    18-55mm kit lens? i would always try to avoid using the kit lens..... i would go with the 28-80..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo, i need help. Been here before but i need help again.

I need your oppinion on this cam i wanna buy.

The article can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/a...727839?ie=UTF8

The ideea is that this is the best price i could find fitting my pocket at this moment.

10x!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm about to get canon EOS 30D......and I'm kind of new at photography...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work at Best Buy in Delaware, as a "technology educator" with Digital Imaging.

We have two DSLRs on Display. One is the Nikon D50 and one is the Canon Rebel XT.

6/8 MP.

I think I remember the main difference with the D50 and D70 was just megapixels.

I played with both the rebel and the d50 and I have to say I prefer the Nikon over Canon. The canons screen was small, and harder to use. The nikon was easy to use (as usual) and very responsive. After playing with it/selling it/ I have to say I'm a huge fan. I wouldn't mind owning it. Even though I already have a 35mm Minolta.

699 this week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tsk tsk shameful plug for best buy, quit fueling the fire! (also a best buy employee, except i install car audio stuff )

if you're going to drop 700 bucks on a camera, either get something of the d70(nikon)/ 20d(canon) range or go for the 1200+ models like a d200 on up, much better than the "pro-sumer" models like the rebel xt and the d50.

though the differences are few in the d50 to d70 they are pretty big differences.

but yea, just a quick tip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm Planning on buying a Nikon D50
    is this a good investment? : O

I would like to hear some Nikon users about the camera,

And i DO believe that its not really about the body with a SLR but its about the lens, so thats why im not saving money up for a more expensive body because I want to invest in lenses,

BUT... plz correct me if i´m wrong, because this is going to be a great investment for myself.

I saw an ad for a new camera on the Nikon global website, said to have 10.2 mp and such... not much is known about it but it will be released within 5 days.
    I´m very curious about that camera, IF it has the same chip as the Sony Alpha then i won´t buy it in a million years
    (that chip sucks quite a bit )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God...if my dad had a digital camera (or even a scanner) he'd be able to put some rather amazing photos on here. Some of his black & white ones are beautiful from the Kansas City plaza.

"The last thing you shall see is the mask I shall place on your face. Now laugh...laugh from my wonderful gas...and conclude yourself into my world."
    --Dr.Killjoy--

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cypher, you`re refering to the nikon D80, which uses the same chip as the higher end nikon d200. quite a nice chip, nothing wrong with it. The body is half the job. So a D50 is an excellent choice.Yes, the glas in front of it makes all the difference.

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for the advice ^^

I liked the Nikon from the start... now to put it to the test,
    that d80 is way the expensive for my budget, I COULD buy it.. but it would really be penny work .. would not leave any room for acces.

I'm gonna buy myself a sweet lens and batterygrip if I like the D50

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello There!

I have a Nikon D70 SLR and I think it is the best camera in the world. I've had it for 2 years and when I bought it it was around $1200. I'm sure now you could get one for a lot less. Here are a few photos I have taken with it. http://www.icecoldawesome.com/ppage

Since the D70 is a rather large camera I now often use my b/f's Fuji F10. As far as a 'point and shoot' camera goes I have to say that it is the best I've ever used. Response time is quick and image quality is awesome. The price is somewhere around $300, but well worth it. It also has a nice macro feature and a few advanced options.

If you are looking for more advanced options in a 'point and shoot' I suggest the Fuji F11, I would have gotten it instead of the F10, but it wasn't available when i was buying last year. =)

http://www.icecoldawesome.com

-I hope that in the future teleportation devices are reasonably priced.-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm pretty much in the same boat. if i were to able to save up some money, i would definitely go for a nikon d2x... but in the real world, i wouldn't be able to afford something half that.

so, right now, i am having a dilemma. will i get a canon a620 or a canon a700. they are pretty much the same except for the swivel screen, a megapixel difference, more optical zoom an the 720, 4 AA batteries on 620 as opposed to 2... the dilemma goes on. they say that there will be a replacement for the a620 right about this time... i'm holding on to my hard earned moolah for that one... i have no idea what it's going to be, but maybe that is the thing that i will be getting soon. hope this helps ^_^

http://filmschool.ph the best place to learn film making in asia

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20