Art: What Digital Camera Should I GET? - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beware of any site that sells the canon digital rebel for less then 700 with the lens kit, or less then 600 for just the body. There are 3-4 sites out there that are advertising it for DIRT cheap, and as always you get what you pay for. Your best bet is one of the auction sites honestly, I got my canon digital rebel with a lens 512 meg memory card and spare battery for $650 bucks an AWESOME deal.

Love the camera too it's hard to take a bad shot with it, and at max resolution you have some seriously large photo's to work with.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what kinda cameras good for landscapes and nature like under 500 us $ good zoom like 10x and good picture quality and not to many buttons

WORD OF THE DAY >>>> APPLE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the Minolta Dimage A1 and I love it. It's an SLR type camera with a ton of options. Huge lens is great for detailed landscape pics and really capturing the light.

They've come way down in price. pricegrabber has them listed for around 530

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...arch=dimage+a1

- scott

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For an affordable yet very high quality digital camera, consider the Sony DSC-P93!

3x optical zoom, 5.1 megapixels, LCD monitor, plenty of options for exposure and apperture, and many other goods.

Highly recommend it if you have about $350.

I should probably post a couple of pics to sell the idea...

Wes' New and Upgraded Sketchbook (September '08 )

Come, drop me a line!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...84#post1828384

I live in Fenton MI and now that it is becoming warmer out I will once again love it here.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking you should get the nikon d70 slr

You should get the Nikon D70. It's the best camera ever and it's both Digital and Film ready. I love that camera and wouldn't change it for anything. You can get it for about $400.00 at Amazon.com You just have to look and find your self a great deal. They also have the Cannon SLR and you can get that at Wal-Mart.

I'm new here and still learning my way around so if you have any advice please let me know. I still haven't figured how to post pictures in my page yet. So please feel free to help me. Blueeyedfairyinpink!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital rebel XT SLR

Im gonna guess that you dont want to spend a bucket of money on this, so I'd recommend any of the Nikon Coolpix line. Reliable as hell and decent enough image quality for a point and shoot. As D-SLR's go, I agree with blueeyedfairyinpink on the D70, but also check out the Rebel XT. The only thing that it lacks is the 20fps of the D70. The Xt's got 12. But other than that, its comprable in every aspect. But not as costly .

I'm picking up one next week.
    Digital or Die!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedfairyinpink
    You should get the Nikon D70. It's the best camera ever and it's both Digital and Film ready. I love that camera and wouldn't change it for anything. You can get it for about $400.00 at Amazon.com You just have to look and find your self a great deal. They also have the Cannon SLR and you can get that at Wal-Mart.

I'm new here and still learning my way around so if you have any advice please let me know. I still haven't figured how to post pictures in my page yet. So please feel free to help me. Blueeyedfairyinpink!

Hi! what do you mean when you say its film ready?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyedfairyinpink

Eh, a D70 costs at around $1000 (more or less depending on the store and rebates) and is NOT film ready. There aren't ANY DSLR cameras that are "film ready". There are some film cameras (mostly extremely expensive medium format) that can accept a digital back, but non of the 35mm based DSLRs can take film...

You might want to check your facts before giving them to other people..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im a nikon guy since my first camera...
    Ive practiced at a sportphotographer the last 6 months, so this is what i found out so far:

Ive tested the D1h, which as not to my liking, but may be cheap. Beware of the expensive rechargeble batteries though - dont get one with a halfdead battery. It does however have a peculiar rgb sensor which make it difficult to handle in PS.

D1x which is ok, but still too few pixels, but good rgb sensor, good colors, a fine camera, but "old"

D2H, expensive and fast, but to few pixels and a bit "noisy" on the image. also its totally too expensive

D2X - only tested this on a fair, looked and felt good, many pixels, Id like the firm to get this one.

D70 - this i like, while its not as fast as the others, it have good amount of pixels and a steady rgb sensor and not much noise. Good battery price on this one too. It has all the features I would need and more right now at least, except an flashcable adapter which for some reason it has not - i have to put an 800 flash on it and stick the cable into the flashs flashcable thing...

D100 - only tested this a little, felt good, but had a noisy image.

coolpix 2100, my brother have this one, few pixels but fast, good alrounf "partycamera" that still kicks the butt of many other brands in its pricerange. Good starting camera (thinking of buying my brothers when he gets the newer model).

Also on a DSLR (the kind you can change lens on) its important to get a lens with a large F, like 2.8 or better. This is expensive, but its worth it. The 50mm F1.8 is a great startlens (but perhaps a bit boring).
    Also get at least a 512mb card for the camera, preferably from some well known manufacturer, we use sandisk mostly.

gl with the choices

. . . F I G H T - T H E - B O R E D O M . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes
    Im a nikon guy since my first camera...
    Ive practiced at a sportphotographer the last 6 months, so this is what i found out so far:

Ive tested the D1h, which as not to my liking, but may be cheap. Beware of the expensive rechargeble batteries though - dont get one with a halfdead battery. It does however have a peculiar rgb sensor which make it difficult to handle in PS.

D1x which is ok, but still too few pixels, but good rgb sensor, good colors, a fine camera, but "old"

D2H, expensive and fast, but to few pixels and a bit "noisy" on the image. also its totally too expensive

D2X - only tested this on a fair, looked and felt good, many pixels, Id like the firm to get this one.

D70 - this i like, while its not as fast as the others, it have good amount of pixels and a steady rgb sensor and not much noise. Good battery price on this one too. It has all the features I would need and more right now at least, except an flashcable adapter which for some reason it has not - i have to put an 800 flash on it and stick the cable into the flashs flashcable thing...

D100 - only tested this a little, felt good, but had a noisy image.

coolpix 2100, my brother have this one, few pixels but fast, good alrounf "partycamera" that still kicks the butt of many other brands in its pricerange. Good starting camera (thinking of buying my brothers when he gets the newer model).

Also on a DSLR (the kind you can change lens on) its important to get a lens with a large F, like 2.8 or better. This is expensive, but its worth it. The 50mm F1.8 is a great startlens (but perhaps a bit boring).
    Also get at least a 512mb card for the camera, preferably from some well known manufacturer, we use sandisk mostly.

gl with the choices
    The number of pixel doesnt mather, its the quality of the pixel that mathers, 4mp resulotion is OK for newspaper/magprint. but it is noisy wich is a problem for a sportphotographer like yourself...

D70 is a good cam, but not for pro-sportphoto, it doesnt have the speed, also the build is not fit for a proshooter, it dont take bumps and rain and so on like a pro-house does. it doesnt even have usb 2,0 which is important for a profesional user, it doesnt have a vert grip, also something most pros would use.

D100 does not have that noisy images, d70 is better but on lower iso you cant see any differens. Also it would be a good idea to wait and see how Nikon d90 turns out (follow up to D100)

You recomend "large f stops" but you dont explain why. large f numbers let more light in to the sensor and that means you can shoot in places with low light without crankin up the ISO or using flash, this is good for sportphotographers like you, if you shoot sport you need a good tele lens, 400 and over(take a bank loan..).

Also large f stops give you the chans to make very creative photography, you can play around with the dof on a whole different level...you mention the 50mm 1,8( 75mm on a 1,5x crop digital sensor), what is boring about it?????? its the best normal lens you can get for that money. perfect portrait lens for face and halfbody shoots.

Just some thoughts from me/T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Himtim - Good thoughts, I agree.
    I didnt elaborate because I dont the average user needs to know so much - it just confuses things on the early stages. Plus I was certain it would spark someones interest and they be writing an clarifying, and that "someone" was you.
    The D70 is not a good sportscamera, but its an excellent allround camera, something that could fit a member here on CA.
    The usb have not been an issue to me, as i load the cards in via a cardreader.
    Perhaps somewhere we could discuss lenses that are good and cheap, Id be interested in that.

. . . F I G H T - T H E - B O R E D O M . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gotta agree, the sony p-series is doing very well.
    the p10, p93 etc etc handle autofocus in dark places very well,
    flash pretty balanced, resolution isnt a problem with any cam anyway,
    dono bout batterylife but its worth checking out

Links
    Scetch Book
    AnimationMentor Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Sony P-93 has quite an impressive battery life! It comes with two rechargeable Nickel-Metal batteries, which are good for about 400 shots. The charger is included, of course.

The resolution of a 5.1 megapixels is basically ridiculous (in a good way, that is)! Anything more than 5.1 most be intended for the purpose of giving the owner bragging rights.

I was reading the reviews of expert sites on digital cameras, and they all hold the P-93 in very high esteem. They say it's among the finest non-proffesional digital camera.

And that makes me happy.

Wes' New and Upgraded Sketchbook (September '08 )

Come, drop me a line!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...84#post1828384

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Consumer Reports

Hey. One of the better things that I've found useful is to check out Consumer Reports magazine or thier website (which is a paysite unfort.) they do really nice comparison's of price vs. options and quality. PS watch out for digital zoom=no good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    before I bought my camera, i spent a month researching which would be best for me. What I realized through all the reviews and all the forums is that a camera is individual to the persons needs and wants.

I have a Nikon D70s, and I love it. It's versitile, good priced, and great quailty. I reccomend it to any and all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking to buy a digital camera in the price range of $150-250. I'm intersted in the Sony Cybershot DSCS40 4.1 MP more than any other camera so far. Does anyone know about this camera?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cybershots aren't that great from what I hear. I second the earlier comment to stick to canon/olympus/nikon

I myself have been using the Canon digital rebel for a couple years and it has not once let me down. Full manual control, easy to understand the controls, superb quality, the batteries even seem to last forever. It also goes up to ISO 1600. Try finding a point and shoot that can do that! Of course it's a bit pricey and it's a bit big. You can find cheaper ones online, but they're often "grey market" and not covered by any sort of manufacturers waranty.

I wanted a camera that I could carry in my pocket (sort of a camera sketchbook) for when I'm out and wishing I had one. Nothing fancy, no need for super high megapixels or anything. Just something tiny, reliable, with good quality and at least some manual control. I shopped around plenty and ended up with the Canon SD200. It only has 3.2 megapixels, but they also make higher resolution models (SD300/SD500). All in all it fits my purpose beautifully. It's one of the smallest of the mini digital cameras, but it has a canon lense and I can adjust settings instead of being forced to use the "preset modes". My mom has a Fuji that's similar and I can't stand it. No manual control at all! I hear that Canon makes the best lenses on compact cameras and from what I've seen, this is absolutely true.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital SLR's. True or False?

Been thinking about getting a Canon Digital Rebel SLR @ 8 megapixels. Are they good? I just want a point and click camera but a high end one.

www.artschmart.co.uk online public art auctions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the Digital Rebels do give the option of being highly automated, being essentially a point and shoot. Personally I think if you want a point and shoot, it's a bit of overkill. Like swatting a fly with a mallet, you know? They're also fairly bulky for what I think of as a point and shoot, which should be portable and lightweight enough to carry around in your jacket pocket in my opinion.

I think it'd be a waste of potential to use one as just a point and shoot, unless you plan to learn more about how to use the manual controls in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbid
    What about the Canon Powershot A80? Im thinking of getting that one, it has got some good reviews. Also it has a swivel screen which makes it easier to take shots high up or close to the ground, without putting your cheek in the dust.

my dad has that camera (its the one i took to prague) and it drove me crazy the whole trip. it takes nice pics but the button layout is annoying and the small swivel screen is SO small you cant see that your pics are blurry until its too late. I guess you could get used to it, but i had the A75 and i liked it alot better because it had a bigger screen. Also, these cameras tend to cool the color of the pics alot, so accurate color is a problem. Theyre a bit big and heavy too and theres at least a two second lag in shooting at the bigger resolutions, which bugged me. otherwise, they work great and have a nice battery life to them. I also agree that Canon makes the best lenses on smaller cameras, and ill probably look into getting another one, just a different model.

just my two cents. im in the market for a new digi as well since mine got stolen, and i wont be buying another one of the Canon A75 or A80s...

Last edited by Layil; August 23rd, 2005 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixels, resolution, quality , memory size and Zoom length are some of the things to consider before getting a new Camera.
    nikon, Canon and Olympus are some good brands..

Digital Print on Demand "Going digital has never been this good"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

350d

Quote Originally Posted by Artschmart
    Been thinking about getting a Canon Digital Rebel SLR @ 8 megapixels. Are they good? I just want a point and click camera but a high end one.
    i got the canon 350D it wery similar to the rebel.
    if you just are going to point and shoot it's a waste to spend
    that mutch money. the powers of a SLR is that it got a
    mutch bether ligth strenkt and you can affekt the depth of the image aso...

What Digital Camera Should I GET?
    if you study the backround you wil se that it's blury.

a SLR lens is stronger that what on ordinary cameras.
    alowes you to take pictures of great distances whitout it geting dark

(Picture taken by Slash)
    masive collor and details, also the lens.

when using a fockal length smaler than 24mm (?)
    you are using a broad angel objektive (not sure how to write this in english)
    the front weel of this bike apears larger than it realy is

white ballance and aperture let's you chose what's white and how brith the image sould be. this image is however an faliure. but look at the one to the right, it the cutest of them all Slash =)

the megapixels of a camera is actualy not that interesting.
    the lens is the most important to a camera.
    and if you are considuring an SLR, remember that
    it's not a point and shoot camera, but a powerful camera that
    you need practise to master.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by newbies13
    Beware of any site that sells the canon digital rebel for less then 700 with the lens kit, or less then 600 for just the body. There are 3-4 sites out there that are advertising it for DIRT cheap, and as always you get what you pay for. Your best bet is one of the auction sites honestly, I got my canon digital rebel with a lens 512 meg memory card and spare battery for $650 bucks an AWESOME deal.

Love the camera too it's hard to take a bad shot with it, and at max resolution you have some seriously large photo's to work with.
    Daaamn, I ended up paying a grand for mine. But it's probably worth it, because it came with a lifetime warrenty.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Such an expencive camera, and all he ever does is stand outside my window, taking pictures of me in my underwear..

Welcome to conceptart.org barret!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Until recently, I've been using my grandfather's Olympus OM-2, which I found satisfactory. I'm hoping to move away from film since I recently discovered that film and photo paper is usually based in gelatin (possibly derives from cow bone/hide). I'd like to find a dSLR which can replace it. I've noticed that both the Canon EOS 300D and the Nikon D70 have been discontinued, both of which I was seriously considering.

Can anyone tell me what they're being replaced by, and whether such cameras would be suitable instead of the old OM-2?

It seems that some models are quickly replaced by others, e.g. the D70 replaced by the D70S, with new gadgetry attached. How safe is it to buy one of these dSLR cameras at the present, given that the model may soon become outdated? Would suitable spare parts, lens and memory-cards still be available?

Thanks.

Sed fugit interea, fugit irreparabile tempus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hey!

as the dealer said to me, it dos realy not mather what dSLR
    you chose, you wil be equaly satisfied any way.

nikon's D70s got å mutch beter kit lens than canon's 350d kit

canons 350d hous got 8mp and nikon d70s got 6mp
    that is the only real diference.

you cannot go thinking aboute what new will come when bying a camera.
    no mather what you buy it wil get out dated.

all nikon lenses can be used on all nikon slr cameras i think, (bout dSLR and SLR)
    canon lenses can't be exchanged betven SLR and dSLR,
    canon got two types of lenses EF and EF-S,
    the EF-S type can only be used by the cameras 350d 40d and 20d
    the EF lenses can be used by all canon dSLR's.

i would advise you to buy the d70s, whit this camera you get the
    most out of your money.

My Gallery: Part one Part two

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A photographer came to our school today to take pictures of our clubs for the yearbook. I started to get into a conversation about cameras with him because I was interested, and i asked about his camera. Here's the problem.

I'm pretty sure it was the Nikon D100, as he said he would recommend me that camera to get. What I don't remember is if he said D100, or F100. He did say that the 200 version is coming out this week. I tihnk D200. Is that what he was talking about? I'll look into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have Canon T-70 (not digital) with a set of Tamron lenses. I'm thinking of going digital in the near future and I want to use the lenses. I'm told it's possible, probably just have to get a chip upgrade in the lenses themselves. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the Canon Digital Rebel 350D a month ago, It's fantastic, I got a telephoto/macro lens wih it, I'm very happy with this camera. I recommend it to anyone whether it's your primary or back up camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the 350d is the best camera in it's price class
    i got it myself and it will be many years before i need a
    camera of more power

My Gallery: Part one Part two

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 14