Art: Trying to solve this issue
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Trying to solve this issue

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trying to solve this issue

I have a question about rendering complex forms. I can render the hell out of something but I am having an issue. This issue is time. Lets say for example I want to render some complex drapery. With me I have to sit there and analyze every little nuance in the fold, every "dip" and "rise" and try to figure out how the cross contours would travel across the form and going against the long side of ther form. Should I just simplify the folds by finding the general direction of the forms and then make the folds a little more detailed by making the edges of light and dark more accurate?

I figured out that if you find the general rhythm of the drapery and then clean up the edges, all the complex twists and turns will solve them selves, NO?. Am I doing this right? It takes FOREVER to render across the forms especially when you try to get super realistic. I guess I gotta simplify it like Andrew Loomis states.

-Andy

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like you need to practice simplification and speed. Perhaps try doing a sequence of 30-minute sketches of drapery or other still-life from life, over a week or two. Set a timer, and donít let yourself get stuck fiddling with a tiny portion of the drawing.

Good luck!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ron Leman created a very nice lecture on drapery. Think of the big shapes first.

Attached Images Attached Images              

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.