• Evil Sloth

4 8.89%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 34: Perfect Camping Spot - VOTES

Cast your votes!

Idiot Apathy

We stand within a bombed out husk of a building, a soldier barely of age stands talking to his comrade;

"oh wow! Hey Frank!" with clear glee in his voice the taller of the two shouts to his comrade, "It's our lucky day!". The sniper behind them knew he should never stay in the same spot between shots, but having such success and as many targets as he had bullets temptation got the best of him. He had been there all day in fact.

The soldier was still talking, "I mean, our whole team got blown away first thing at home base this morning; But man, Frank! ..." The sniper had become confident in his safety and skill, he was no longer satisfied to merely rack-up another kill; no he had become quite sadistic - he took pride in toying with his prey.

"I mean Frank, there are more supplies here than I've ever seen in any one place other than our home base!" The soldier continued, still oblivious to what would be his last moments in life.

"Thank God!" the soldier said with relief, they had no choice but to flee when their camp had been attacked this morning, without time to gather any supplies they had been wandering in desperation ever since. The sniper couldn't help but scoff at the soldiers words, "God?" he thought to himself, "If it was God that has brought you here I wonder what you did to anger him".

"Say Frank, Does this..." The soldier's tone had changed from glee into near-panic, "Does this... Doesn't this look a bit like our home base to you?".

"Frank? FRANK?!" were this poor soldiers last words, unheard by Frank for he had been shot dead by the snipers bullets not long before this story began.

----------------
    PianoForte

------------------
    evildisco

•He fucking sucks, where the hell is he?

•Learn 2 play n00b, LOL

------------------
    kovah

Sniper is on one of the towers similar to the ones in the distance looking out over the land. In essance one has a 180 degree view though not all of it is obvious in the picture. Sunset with the sun low makes seeing your targets more difficult but not impossible. Land based shuttle craft are the main target of this sniper.

---------------------
    arttorney

On Fossil Creek Road, about 12 miles before you get to the Verde River, there is a place where the road is flanked by two massive rock formations about 100 meters from the road on either side. Serious bouldering skills are required for the ascent so assault troops would have a tough job neutralizing snipers without artillery or an airstrike. The road, viewed here from one of the formations, is narrow with no shoulder or countryside to drive off into. This place has ambush written all over it.

----------------------
    Erilaz

-------------------
    cowboy surfer

Surrounded on all sides, they were the last two survivors. So far the ammo was holding out and none had made it closer than 300yrds... it was only a matter of time though.

-----------------
    Gaius

In the Neo Republic Political assassins were never short of work.
    The balconies overlooking the exit to the senate have always been a favourite camping spot for those who liked to speed up political change.

------------------
    Camsyko

The Story: In his high treetop Vantage Point the Poacher Hunter waits for poachers to enter his jungle by the only access by bridge.

-----------------------
    Evil_Sloth

Virtual reality has taken new hold in Japan, many gamers go for cheap kills rather than a skillful hunt.

----------------------

i love each and every one of you - don't forget the feedback!

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Idiot Apathy
    Best scene and vibe, I like the fact that we can't directly see where the camper is but we can certainly guess. The sheer grittiness is very impressive. Gets my vote.

2. Gaius
    Also very cool, made it difficult to decide. Compositionally stunning, let down by muddy colouring.

3. Evildisco
    It's good. Simple, stylish and would look perfect in a comic.

Bear in mind that these are simply my personal opinions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really wanted to vote for Evil Disco, but I went for Idiot Apathy because it was much more deliberated--I wish I could vote for two.

Arttorney, a nice landscape, but it lacks the focus and concept that could have made it more interesting.

Gaius, excellent painting, but I thought it relied too much on the reference you used, and two standout figures in the painting (the sniper and the ship in the distance) needed to be more rendered into the painting.

Camsyko, glad to see you were willing to scrap an old idea for a better one--the attention to the layout and the hideout are nice.

Evil_Sloth, interesting atmosphere, I like it. I really wanted the whole scene to be raining and nighttime, since that's what I thought it was until I took a second glance and realized it was niether--a tad disorienting. I do love the surfaces and interiors.

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not entering this one. I foolishly tried out the CHOW instead, and got my ass handed to me rather swiftly. EOWs are a little more friendly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very close tie between idiot apathy and evildisco for me.. idiot would've won without the comic elements and the victim character (as it was before). kinda tipped the balance.. just by a notch though.. great work!

WEED TORTURE WIN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think my vote goes with evildisco just because it makes me chuckle every time i look at it.

But Gaius yours is amazing too. The amount of detail that you have put in it makes me very jealous of your drawing abilities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy gets my vote. Despite evil's being more dynamic and funny I really like the execution of idiot's piece. Great texture and just using greyscale for the image really adds an extra element to the atmosphere.

Idiot apathy- Great piece overall, great textures etc...Maybe the soldier could stand out a little more, 'cause at first glance he could be kind of difficult to spot.

Pianoforte- Considering this is a wip there's not much I can say I've always found that (unless you know exactly what you are painting) its good to not commit to a composition as soon as you begin.. Keeping your brushes big can really help the composition uncover itself. That way, even though you kind of know what you're going to paint you haven't exhausted all possibilities before you've really begun... Quick thumbnails are also really helpful.

Evildisco- Its funny and simple. I honestly don't know what to crit, because it all looks intentional. The rail at the bottom looks like it gets big too quickly I think..?

Kovah - This is a good effort. I'd suggest working on values though.. At the moment there is no scale/distance. The easiest way to solve this is to make the midground/background progressively lighter. But not so light it becomes un-natural. Looking at hundreds of references, photos, other paintings will help loads with this. Just looking around you while your out can often be the best way.. Just look at a sunset (or whatever), then when you're painting try and remember how the light effects the landscape. I'm a bit confused as to what the really bright light is in the foreground as well.

arttorney- I think what I wrote about kovah's work applies here as well. Another area to think about is how you're trying to portray the detail. Given the scale of the mountain/rocks and the distance from them would mean that there isnt a massive amount of detail in them. You've done this to an extent, but the lines detract from the overall impression. Using just value and colour while remembering to keep the edges simple to read would give a better impression of detail in the rocks. The perspective in the foreground is off it seems. From the river up its ok, but the trees in the foreground look like they are level with the horizon, instead of being looked down on, like the rest of the trees in the valley.

Erilaz- I think scale is the biggest problem here. The guy in the foreground is either not dark enough, or he is way too big. There doesnt seem to be any distance between him and the houses at the moment so he kind of looks like a giant.

Cowboy surfer- Not sure whether this was a wip or not, but it looks like it could have been pretty good if you had taken a bit more car with it. For a start, cleaner lines would have made it a lot better. One of the main things that could have helped though is to properly sort out the perpecive at the start. Go over what you want to do... Are you going for 1, 2 or 3 point perspective? Once you've decided, select where the horizon is and add vanishing points, then draw a few lines from them to help.. From there it is sometimes fairly easy to just eyeball the perspective, other times you might have to redraw the horizon line.

Gaius- Really nice, and i guess its not finished going by the 'not fin' in the corner... I think adding what I can only describe right now, 'cause I cant think of another way to explain it, is 'pop'...Its a cloudy scene, so its going to be overcast, but really hitting the highlights where the sun could be coming though the clouds and making the blue glow from the engines really glow would add to the atmosphere all round I think.

Camskyo- What i've written about others would probably help with this.. The saturation with this is what hits me the most. Right now the background is the most saturated, which doesnt happen, especially in the sky. Toning down the saturation would help loads.

Evilsloth- I really like this, although its pretty hard to read. Not in terms of the buildings, but the massive gun.. At first I thought it was a real gun, or a projected hologram.. Then I thought it was a sign pointing to the entrance of the virtual reality place. I am possibly just being dumb, but giving more hints within the painting to what is actually going on would really help (me) ...

Don’t know if all that makes sense, but I thought I’d better start giving more input round here..

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yAdam - VERY much appreciated!

WEED TORTURE WIN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for crits. My own will have to wait for the weekend. yAdam you are very discerning about the foreground trees. This is a plein air done while perched on a jumble of rocks with a mean downward slope of about 70 degrees and not a flat surface in sight. When I got to the foreground I was getting tired and instead of drawing simple reference lines to finish at home, I half-assed that part.

The thing down in the valley is Fossil Creek Road. If I had been less lazy and drawn in one of the ATVs or pickups that drove by that day that would have been more clear, and helped with scale.

If I had done that, and also put the business end of an RPG extending into the foreground it would further have helped with perspective and also would have added the dramatic presentation elements of which Johnnyhorse spoke.

The lesson is: not to give up on a drawing too soon, and not to forget that you can make additions or changes to provide interest and better meet the brief.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney
    Thanks for crits. My own will have to wait for the weekend. yAdam you are very discerning about the foreground trees. This is a plein air done while perched on a jumble of rocks with a mean downward slope of about 70 degrees and not a flat surface in sight. When I got to the foreground I was getting tired and instead of drawing simple reference lines to finish at home, I half-assed that part.

The thing down in the valley is Fossil Creek Road. If I had been less lazy and drawn in one of the ATVs or pickups that drove by that day that would have been more clear, and helped with scale.

If I had done that, and also put the business end of an RPG extending into the foreground it would further have helped with perspective and also would have added the dramatic presentation elements of which Johnnyhorse spoke.

The lesson is: not to give up on a drawing too soon, and not to forget that you can make additions or changes to provide interest and better meet the brief. In some of the tutorials the big wheels talk of never being satisfied until it is your best possible effort. I think that solidly applies here.
    ----- (could have sworn I clicked edit rather than quote, sorry for double post, and the alleged qoute herein has been changed from the original because I thought I was editing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaius got my vote.

I voted for it beacuase it's pretty clean, it's easy to read, people are used in a good way to show scale, the use of cast shadows coming from outside of the composition works well and suggests that there's more of the world beyond the borders of the composition, and even if I think there could be more of it, there's some stuff in the composition that suggest a culture and history behind the place. And it looks like a great camping spot too.

It could use some more time and love at certain places, especially some more intense highlights and value variations to make areas of interest pop out more. But all in all I like it.

Good stuff from the rest of you too. It's great to get a weekly free dose of inspiration from you eow, cow, chow guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my vote went to I.A. I liked the texture mostly, and the scene reminded me of a game or a concept work for a game. Like Snarves says, you cant see him but you know he is there.

I liked the simplicity of evildisco's.

Gaius, I liked that its like an epic concept. but almost to big for me, for this particular thing. there would be to many folks wondering around to actually camp out.

I didnt get the big gun in evilsloths either, but as I said, I am a tad slow, but it looks to me to be pointing, at the sniper on the side of the building. but what he is standing on is confusing. But the buildings and stuff were painted well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to evildisco.

Think he got a very good composition here. Colors are very well placed.

Nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evildisco, for the clean simple idea, and the pure hilarity of capturing a true "Camp" moment.

Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was between Idiot Apathy and Gaius for the win. Liked the epic scale of Gaius but felt that the area would not be my ideal location to snipe from. Idiot captured a really gritty feel, very ww2 like, nice textures. Idiot got the vote from me.

Idiot Apathy - As above, didnt think the speech bubble added anything, let the art and the story do the talking.
    Piano Forte - Hard to judge as not finished.
    Evil Disco - Like the setting, good camping spot. Colours a little basic for me, also I am not a fan of speach on the art, could have left it out to better effect.
    Kovah - Liked your landscape. The lens flare is taking all the attention in the pic though, would have liked to have seen the sniper.
    Arttorney - Not really getting a feel of whats happening, there is no story from the artwork. Did I see this as a photo on google?
    Erilaz - Nice moody feel. There is a threat in the air! The sniper is a bit one dimensional though. Nice textures in the background trees.
    Cowboy - Thats a wip, give it more time in future.
    Giaus - See top. Really liked the painting. Good scale. Just not a great sniping location.
    Camskyo - Nice idea. Try not to rely on the obvious brushes though. Would have liked to have seen someone on the bridge. Keep it up.
    Evil Sloth - Again nice textures in your piece. Not really sure what is happening though. Some of the perspective on the closest building not quite right. Loving the camper 5000.

Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy surfer
    Arttorney - Not really getting a feel of whats happening, there is no story from the artwork. Did I see this as a photo on google?
    I think very unlikely. I climbed a mountain that is about 6 miles out on a dirt road to the middle of nowhere and did a plein air painting of the mountain on the other side of the road. I did take a digital photo of the same scene after I finished so I could show in my sketchbook what I was drawing. I also took a photo of the view straight down, but I didn't post that because the photo did not do justice to the feelings of acrophobia you can get in person at that place. Maybe Google plucked you the photograph out of my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now thats dedication to your eow! Nice one. Looked a little like a pic I came accross searching for inspiration so I had to ask.

Always strive for perfection. You will never achieve it, but will learn so much more in the striving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy- very nice style. I don't think the birds would really be hanging around like that, but they help with mood I admit.

Gaius- I liked this, but too many people around for sniping safely I think, and the middle couple of waterfall branches look like the water would have to run uphill to get there.

EvilDisco- It's dementedly cute but I would think a sniper would fall either from leaning too much or from the recoil of the weapon.

good entries in general.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Snarfevs: Thanks dude! Woot for grittiness!
    @Johnnyhorse: hehehe thanks! My vote was for evildisco, superpimp!
    @Hyver: D'oh! I admit the comic elements were a bit of an odd 'failed' experiment, but they were fun. The victim character I had planned the whole time though, just didn't like the execution or what? Cheers mate!
    @yAdam: Thanks! Hehe, can't say I went with greyscale to add to the picture - just wanted to focus on rendering a bit so I cut color out of the equation. Good crit on the soldier, I got an PO adding smoke behind him that worked nicely. Thanks for giving everyone feedback by the way!
    @Dragonspit: Thanks! I actually had Call of Duty in mind while doing this one. Cheers!
    @cowboy surfer: Thanks! D'oh! Didn't like the speech bubble? Oh well, it was a fun failed experiment. Cheers!
    @arttorney: Hmm hmm, the birds why not? Thanks by the way.

And thanks to everyone who has voted for me! I need to do more of these...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ravens around my neighborhood won't let a human get anywhere near them. Victim couldn't have gotten that close to the one on the helmet before it flew away. The sounds of the shooting would probably scare them all away, but if there had been any shooting recently, Victim wouldn't be ditty bopping around the way he is either, so a raven could very reasonably be up on a wire or something. They'll let a human get that close though they prefer higher wires or the tops of phone poles. It's a judgment call, and they are great for moodiness in a piece. These are a little small for ravens anyway, so I may merely be projecting irrelevant experiences of my own onto this. If those are Brewer's Blackbirds then they'll let humans get quite close.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm, nah that's good info mate thanks for sharing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.